Chicago, IL - WOW - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 894 Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Mitch. I re-scanned again last night, still only NBC (on 203). I don't think I can enter the 'dot' equivalents w/ the samsung tuner, or I least I couldn't figure it out.

I only have the limited basic package. I believe there is a filter on the line that 'limits' the signal to that package. I'm guessing that is hosing up my reception. I'll try calling WOW, but probably not a chance of doing anything before Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 894 Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acw918 View Post

I finally picked up the new samsung H260 tuner. After several scans I can only pick up NBCHD. For those of you using QAM tuners, any issues?

I just looked up the h260 (model, DTB-H260F, right?) on the samsung site and if I read the specifications correctly, it's an over-the-air HDTV receiver not a cable receiver. Why it would pick up NBCHD-203 is a mystery, but unless there's some other model, I think the unit is not supposed to tune cable HD channels.

Do you by chance have a TV antenna already on your house or in your attic you could connect to? You might be able to grab channel 2 over the air (if lucky).

Also, I just looked at the manual too. There should be a minus sign ("-") on the remote. Use that instead of the dot.

Mitch
post #93 of 894 Old 02-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

I just looked up the h260 (model, DTB-H260F, right?) on the samsung site and if I read the specifications correctly, it's an over-the-air HDTV receiver not a cable receiver. Why it would pick up NBCHD-203 is a mystery, but unless there's some other model, I think the unit is not supposed to tune cable HD channels.

Do you by chance have a TV antenna already on your house or in your attic you could connect to? You might be able to grab channel 2 over the air (if lucky).

Also, I just looked at the manual too. There should be a minus sign ("-") on the remote. Use that instead of the dot.

Mitch

Yes, I think that is the right model number. It definately is designed to pick up QAM (notes in the manual & there is a separate scan for OTA vs Cable) & the minus sign doesn't work when in cable mode (the antenna button toggles between OTA antenna & cable). I do have an antenna in the attic and can get CBS OTA, but there are frequent drops that make it hard to watch.

I have been using a Zenith tuner with the same antenna for a little over three years. I've always had electrical impulse interferance on CBS, but about a month ago the Zenith stopped locking the signal at all. The Samsung at least locks, just more frequent drops than what I used to get.

I tried the Chicago OTA forum, but couldn't find anything that may have changed in the last month or so to explain the difference. I'll be up in the attic again tomorrow to try and adjust the position of the antenna to see if I can improve the recption on the Samsung.
post #94 of 894 Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I think it can scan cable for purposes of watching standard definition, but from what I read I don't think it has a QAM tuner. Do you see a spec that says it has a QAM tuner? Or, just that it can tune cable channels?

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that OTA WBBM HD was coming in pretty solidly. But, I haven't checked recently.

Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by acw918 View Post

Yes, I think that is the right model number. It definately is designed to pick up QAM (notes in the manual & there is a separate scan for OTA vs Cable) & the minus sign doesn't work when in cable mode (the antenna button toggles between OTA antenna & cable). I do have an antenna in the attic and can get CBS OTA, but there are frequent drops that make it hard to watch.

I have been using a Zenith tuner with the same antenna for a little over three years. I've always had electrical impulse interferance on CBS, but about a month ago the Zenith stopped locking the signal at all. The Samsung at least locks, just more frequent drops than what I used to get.

I tried the Chicago OTA forum, but couldn't find anything that may have changed in the last month or so to explain the difference. I'll be up in the attic again tomorrow to try and adjust the position of the antenna to see if I can improve the recption on the Samsung.

post #95 of 894 Old 02-03-2007, 02:26 PM

The samsung definately does QAM & is mentioned a few places in the manual (that and the fact that it is newer gen tuner is why I bought). I did not get a chance to call WOW about the limited basic filter, but I did venture into the attic today.

Tried repositioning the antenna with no luck. Then decided to disconnect the pre-amp. At first nothing, then 4 bars on WBBM (0 to 2 bars before). So far so good, the signal is staying locked and all the other stations have better signal strength than with the pre-amp too.

Go Bears!
post #96 of 894 Old 02-11-2007, 09:14 AM

I was watching TV this morning and all of a sudden the channels seemed to scramble. I just hooked up my wow cable to test out OTA that was being broadcast by wow. Worked like a champ last night and all the other stations worked too. Then this morning I turn the tv on and watch some stuff and about 20mins in bam, seem to scramble the tv signal. I turned on my other tv's and they were fine, even through the tivo's. But if i try my tv with qam no good, I have to hook the box back up to get my cable. Strange?? Any ideas?? or did my tv just bust.
post #97 of 894 Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 AM

Finally making the plunge to Digital, but wanted to post my CSR/Pricing experience.

I attempted to upgrade to the new 'Digital Value' package with the HD Pak and two CableCards for the Series Three. 'Digital Value' basically has the same channels as analog. After attempting to enter it into the system and putting me on hold, the CSR stated that he could not pair HD & CableCards with 'Digital Value', but that I had to upgrade to 'Digital Basic', which would have been about a $30 per month increase instead of the $20 or so I hoped for.

After complaining that nowhere on the website does it limit either CableCards or HD, and the fact that I did not want the additional channels, he came back with a "Retention/Loyal Customer" discount of $15 per month (for a year). I took the deal and scheduled an appt for next week. I requested a WOW Tech over a third-party installer, and also requested the tech to bring five or so CableCards. I have also PM'd TiVoJerry over at TivoCommunity as they have been working with someone at WOW with the Missing Audio on four channels. Hopefully, I can talk to someone to make sure the installer is at least familiar with the Series 3, as the CSR did not know anything about it.

I will post an update after the install experience.
post #98 of 894 Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 AM

Good move on asking them to bring extra cards in advance.

FWIW, of the two techs that visited my home, the contractor who did the initial install was much more helpful and friendly than the WOW employee that came out later. The contractor knew enough to know that he didn't know everything, and he was very responsive to input from me, since he had never installed CableCARDs in a Tivo Series 3 before. The WOW tech was pretty blunt, not very responsive to suggestions, and quick to place blame on other things without checking them first (e.g., "your signal strength is too low, so I need to remove this signal splitter that you installed," but when I forced him to actually check the signal strength, he realized that the 95/100 signal strength downstream of the splitter was more than adequate).

Good luck. Looking forward to hearing your report.
post #99 of 894 Old 02-21-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post

A WoW technician came out to check the lack of audio on the 4 channels mentioned previously (Channels 319, 378, 379, and 694). After a little testing, he determined that there is audio signal on all 4 channels coming in to the Series3, so it doesn't appear to be a signal problem. Then he swapped out some other cableCARDs to determine if perhaps I got defective cards. Same problem occurred on the new cards, so he determined that the problem must be with the Tivo unit.

I contacted Tivo, described the problem, and the Customer Service rep put me on hold for about 3 minutes to discuss the problem with a supervisor. When he came back online, he told me that my particular problem is going to be addressed with a software update that will be implemented in the "next few days" and downloaded during the automatic update routine that occurs at night. (No other explanation was offered, and he specifically said "next few days" as opposed to the proverbial "couple of weeks".)

Tivo's long-awaited software update (v8.1) downloaded last night, and it corrected the missing audio on Channels 319, 378, 379, and 694. So all of the problems I previously reported have now been resolved.
post #100 of 894 Old 03-01-2007, 07:00 AM

I posted this over at TiVoCommunity, but I figured I would put it here, too...

Two techs show up, one older, one younger, and early signs mixed. They brought extra CableCards, but very defensive about installing them into the TiVo. I make my pitch and they come around. They read the Installation Instructions and are willing to authorize them one at a time.

They call in the first card after the Host ID comes up, and initially they get the Card Serial# wrong. After some back-and-forth on the phone, the card seemingly comes up. During the down time, the younger tech takes a look at the cable run coming into the living room, and asks to take a look at where it comes in.

Once we do the channel test, only the HD Locals show up - nothing in 300 range, nor any of the HBO's. The younger tech points out that the cable coming out of the wall is only RG-59. When I installed an antenna in the attic, I used RG-6, but never saw the need to redo that cable run, as it goes behind a plaster wall, and at the time was only handling Analog. The younger tech mentions that they have had seen a lot of problems with long runs of RG-59 with Digital, and suggests rewiring. He said that signal loss could definitely be the problem. I am doubtful, but we move on to the second card. Probably a mistake, but both of the installers seem very rushed.

The next two cards fail, but the last card seemingly gets everything except HBO. They feel again that it is the RG-59. With the cards seemingly activated, the younger installer actually leaves because he was just helping the older guy out.

As it is somewhat accessible through the basement, I told the remaining tech that I could do rewire the RG-59 myself. He goes to his truck and gets me about 60 feet of quad-shielded RG-6, with connectors, saying that I can call him once I get it installed, and if need be, they will set up another appointment. As it's getting to be late in the day, he gives me his card before leaving and tells me to call him directly.

I was able to pull the cable in under an hour. Upon connecting, the second card that was only missing HBO seems to get everything. Apparently, the RG-6 made a difference. The first card still will only tune the unscrambled locals. I call customer service, hoping to talk to someone who can check the status on the cards, and authenticate if necessary. The CSR and I go back and forth, supposedly put on hold for a Tier 3 support, but after probably 15 minutes, the CSR says that Tier 3 only handles phone or internet, and there is no one else to talk to, and that I have to set up another appointment. I told her that I want to talk to the people that the techs call to activate, but she said that they call the regular CSR's, even though she has never taken one of those calls. I realize this is a lost cause and tell her I will call back to reschedule, after I call my installer directly.

I got a hold of my installer, and he said there is a separate number they call, but that they are off for the day. He told me to call him Thursday and he should have what he needs from the work-ticket to get it over done over the phone.

A very frustrating experience. If I can't get things set this afternoon over the phone, I am going to ask if I can bring in the defective card to Naperville, get a replacement or two, and call it in myself. I think the biggest problem was setting up the appointment for 2:00 - 4:00, as they seemed rushed the entire time.

I will post an update after this afternoon
post #101 of 894 Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 AM

Success...at least 95%. I called my installer on Thursday and he worked with the HeadEnd/CableCard person to get everything straightened out. I think that they were just a bit too rushed to go through everything thoroughly. Now I just have two issues similar to ones mentioned previously.

I have seven channels that I cannot tune, where the CableCard screen comes up and goes black after hitting the Clear button.

217 - FoodHD
318 - Fine Living
328 - Starz Comedy
378 - EWTN
483 - Starz Edge
489 - Encore Drama
694 - Bridges

In addition, I am getting incorrect data on several channels. I have verified that zap2it/tribune listings online have the same problems.

220 - Comcast Sportsnet HD gives the listing for MidAtlantic. Last night during the Blackhawks game it listed the Atlanta Hawks - Washington Wizards Basketball. I know that Roadster had a similar issue, but seeing that I get the Chicago City lineup, they probably have to do the same thing.

319 - SoapNet - Not that I care, but I checked this channel right away because of the previous issues that people had. The listings are for SoapNet Pacific, not the East Coast feed.

I will go back and look for the TiVo form for the line-up issue. I have PM'd TiVoJerry regarding the missing channels.

Other than that, I am pretty satisifed overall. I felt the technician went above and beyond by giving me his card and taking my calls after the install. The 60 ft of quad-shielded RG-6 was nice, too..
post #102 of 894 Old 03-23-2007, 04:41 PM

After contacting a WOW supervisor yesterday, I can report that the channels in question can all be tuned without issue. (thanks Mike T!)

I initally called regarding the incorrect listing for 220 ComcastSportsnet HD. Zap2it and the TiVo Guide still show the listings for the DC/Baltimore Market, even though they are broadcasting the Chicago Feed. The initial CSR did not understand the problem and did not have internet access to see the inconsistency in the listing. I asked for a Supervisor and Mike worked with me for fifteen minutes or so to finally observe the problem. He is supposedly forwarding that on to the proper people, so keep an eye out for a change.

When we were finished, I asked if I could get his e-mail so I could give some details on the missing channel issue. He admitted that he did not know much about CableCards but he said he would forward it on to the NOC. I sent him a detailed e-mail yesterday afternoon. By lunchtime today, Mike forwarded me the following, albeit part of a longer chain:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:57 PM
To: Mary; Gary
Cc: John
Subject: RE: CableCard Issue - Chicago City

Mary,
We've seen this issue before. It is when the segment is not set
to "Copy Freely." The channels listed by the customer were not set to
"Copy Freely" in the Segment GUI. I changed them so the customer should
be able to see the channels OK. This only affects some cable cards.

I don't know how these got changed but I'm going through and
checking all of the other digital channels (you only set up a segment
for digital channels not analog). So far they are all set correctly,
that is "Copy Freely."

Have the customer check their channels now, they should work.

Wayne
Converter Control Engineer

Hopefully he is checking all markets as I know the suburbs and Detroit were having similar issues. I have to say, once I got past the initial CSR, their response was fantastic. I know that Comcast would have just blamed it on TiVo
post #103 of 894 Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM

I haven't visited my mother-in-law in a while, but here for the Easter weekend and my sister-in-law says that they no longer get any of the QAM channels from WOW. They don't have a digital package, just extended basic. Should they still get the HD channels or did WOW change something?
post #104 of 894 Old 04-08-2007, 11:24 AM

WOW has been known to "move" the channels around. So just try re-scanning on the TV. You'll likely get them back.
post #105 of 894 Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had any luck finding the HD Comcast Sports Net channel using just basic cable? WOW lists it as channel 220 and lumps it with the other local HD channels. So, I was hoping I would be able to get it "for free" like I do the local HD channels (200-206). I rescanned but didn't find 220. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has been able to get it with just basic cable service.

Mitch
post #106 of 894 Old 04-10-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:

Has anyone had any luck finding the HD Comcast Sports Net channel using just basic cable? WOW lists it as channel 220 and lumps it with the other local HD channels. So, I was hoping I would be able to get it "for free" like I do the local HD channels (200-206). I rescanned but didn't find 220. So, I'm wondering if anyone else has been able to get it with just basic cable service.

I did a rescan on my QAM TV and did not see it. I saw a frequency "113.220" or something similar come up and it was definitely encrypted. Comcast SportsNet HD was the primary reason I broke down and went Digital.

On another note, they have added another channel to the HD Pak, 218 A&E HD. It is pretty worthless, as the replays of Soprano's are not HD, and the only movie I have seen on it was not in HD either. The only thing I have seen in HD has been repeats of the CSI franchise.
post #107 of 894 Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM

We just got a new plasma with a built in QAM tuner. I see the unencrypted local HD channels 200-205 and the weather plus channel. We are subscribed to analog extended basic plus internet.

I am getting some HD video breakup as well as a ground loop hum in my new subwoofer. How does your WOW installation ground? Ours just has a pipe ground wrapped around the spigot for our hose! The old Comcast install had a ground rod. Do you think the bad ground could also cause the breakup in the picture? I am going to call service on this but wanted to see if others had this issue. I was using an inline capacitor to break the ground loop on the feed but that doesn't pass the higher frequency HD channels.

Also, if I upgrade to digital WOW is saying I have to get the HD pack to get the local HDs. Something I actually already get. Seems like this make sense only from a cable box point of view. I thought locals had to be unencrypted by law.
post #108 of 894 Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Break up: I'm seeing some problems with 203 (NBCHD) with one of my TVs - one that is pretty far away from where the service enters the house (i.e. long cable run). But otherwise, things have been pretty solid.

Ground loop: My cable ground uses a metal stake out side just before it enters the house. However getting such a ground installed will probably not fix your ground loop. You need to have the cable grounded to the same ground used for the electrical (which in my house is one of the water pipes in my basement).

Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmps View Post

We just got a new plasma with a built in QAM tuner. I see the unencrypted local HD channels 200-205 and the weather plus channel. We are subscribed to analog extended basic plus internet.

I am getting some HD video breakup as well as a ground loop hum in my new subwoofer. How does your WOW installation ground? Ours just has a pipe ground wrapped around the spigot for our hose! The old Comcast install had a ground rod. Do you think the bad ground could also cause the breakup in the picture? I am going to call service on this but wanted to see if others had this issue. I was using an inline capacitor to break the ground loop on the feed but that doesn't pass the higher frequency HD channels.

Also, if I upgrade to digital WOW is saying I have to get the HD pack to get the local HDs. Something I actually already get. Seems like this make sense only from a cable box point of view. I thought locals had to be unencrypted by law.

post #109 of 894 Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Break up: I'm seeing some problems with 203 (NBCHD) with one of my TVs - one that is pretty far away from where the service enters the house (i.e. long cable run). But otherwise, things have been pretty solid.

Ground loop: My cable ground uses a metal stake out side just before it enters the house. However getting such a ground installed will probably not fix your ground loop. You need to have the cable grounded to the same ground used for the electrical (which in my house is one of the water pipes in my basement).

Mitch

Thanks. I do have a long run to the TV from the entry point. I am hoping having a grounded shield will deal with most of the issues.

Once the external ground is taken care of I am going to run a ground to a water pipe inside. That should take care of the ground loop. At least I hope it does.
post #110 of 894 Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM

Just an FYI, I found this on a sagetv forum. Here are the current unencrypted QAM channels for WOW (atleast in Naperville):

94.102 CBSHD (WBBMDT)
98.103 NBCHD (WMAQDT)
103.104 FOXHD (WFLDDT)
113.200 ABCHD (WLSDT)
113.205 PBSHD (WTTWDT)
116.106 MNTHD (WPWRDT)

Source: sagetv
post #111 of 894 Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 PM

I thought I would post a not so successful WOW HD story.

First I recently got a new Samsung HL-S7178W. We started with basic analog cable. With the new set I thought I would look into WOW's HD offerings. The set internally has NTSC, 8VSB and QAM tuners. Just doing a channel scan turned up HD on 200-206 and Music in the 500's.

WTTW D would sometimes come in on 205. This is the one HD channel I would really like to see.

After talking to WOW I was told to get the HD channels I needed at least Digital Basic. I set up the upgrade with a 1 STB and 1 CableCard (for the Samsung). If you get the box first and add the card you can save $2.49/month. 5.99 to add a box but 3.50 to add the card. Same base price.

After 3 long attempts to get a cable card working (all failed). I tried one STB with the HD receiver. Even though this was one physical box you get charged for both the decoder and the HD receiver. After dropping the CableCard this amounted to about a $20.00 hit over what I was paying for analog cable.

The TV and the STB did not play well together, resulting in video and audio that did not look or sound as clean as the internal QAM tuner on the clear HD channels.

Also the builtin TV Guide on screen guide was, at least for me, much easer to deal with than the digital cable OSG from the box. The old analog STB had a favorites only mode to the on screen guide. The digital version you must page past all the channels you elected to not get. This seemed like a down grade to me.

The net result was I went back to analog cable. As the STB for the old cable was gone I did get a discount on the basic analog cable.

I still get 201-204 and 206 but 205 WTTWd first moved to 200 then went missing/scrambled. If any one finds where it went please post.

Currently "in the clear" I get:

201 - CBSHD
202 - FOXHD
203 - NBCHD
204 - MyNetworkTVHD
and
206 - the CW HD
post #112 of 894 Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

200 is ABC (i.e. WLS, Channel 7) and 205 is WTTWD (in Naperville).
If you don't get these then I would have WOW come out and check the signal quality.

Mitch
post #113 of 894 Old 07-29-2007, 09:15 AM

I was looking at the WOW channel guide at http://www1.wowway.com/cable/cable.a...RCView=Nothing and noticed that the guide seems to indicate that A&E HD and Comcast Sportsnet HD should be available to everyone.

I receive WOW HD through QAM tuners built in to my TVs, and don't have a cable box. I do not seem to be able to get these two channels, though.

Is anyone receiving these channels without a cable box?
post #114 of 894 Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting find. It does imply that you don't need to subscribe to anything special to get those channels.
Did you rescan or anything like that to see if the tuner found the two channels?

Mitch
post #115 of 894 Old 07-31-2007, 05:11 PM

Yes, I rescanned, but I do not receive the channels. I'm posting to find out if anyone else has had luck getting them this way. In other words, is my TV not getting them, or is WOW's channel listing just misleading?
post #116 of 894 Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtF View Post

Yes, I rescanned, but I do not receive the channels. I'm posting to find out if anyone else has had luck getting them this way. In other words, is my TV not getting them, or is WOW's channel listing just misleading?

I only get A&EHD and ComcastSportsnetHD through cablecards, not by QAM in the clear. The listing is somewhat misleading, as they need to note that those two channels require the Digital Basic service. They are encrypted like the rest of the digital line-up.

I think the logic or reason behind it would be to restrict them from those who receive analog Limited Basic Service. HD Channels 200 - 206 would be digital versions of local channels they already receive, but leaving A&E HD and ComcastSportsnetHD in the clear would allow those subscribers to access channels they do not pay for.

My TiVo Series 3 sometimes has problems tuning both 217 A&EHD and the 214 Wealth Network of the HD Pak. I have not looked into it further as I have not found anything on either that I really want to watch.
post #117 of 894 Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM

I analog only. I have a QAM tuner in my Panasonic. It does not see the A&E on SportNet channels but does see the others. I believe foamy909 answer is right on. My pany also has trouble receiving myTV and WGN HD. I think this is a combination of the tuner and the WOW signal. It is interesting that during the day it is worse than at night.
post #118 of 894 Old 08-05-2007, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the responses. At least I know I don't have a technical problem.
Maybe I'll follow-up with WOW to let them know that their listing is misleading...
post #119 of 894 Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is anybody having problems with FOXHD channel? I live in Naperville. For some odd reason there are a lot of artifacts and speckles when watching something in HD. Sometimes it looks like if the picture were fading in and out. It can be very annoying. I remember Prison Break and 24 had a lot of this. So, I was just wondering if anybody else was having the same issue. I was also curious to whether an antenna would help so I can get the local HD channels over the air.
post #120 of 894 Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM

I have artifacts sometimes on Fox and it is so bad that MyTV and WGN don't come in most of the time. I only have analog service so perhaps it has something to do with it. It does come and go.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page