In-Store HDTV demos...Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-26-2001, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What would make a GOOD in-store demo for HDTV?

I'd like to see two demos, side-by-side (OK, across the aisle from each other). Have a top-of-the line setup on one side, an affordable "starter" system on the other.

Have carpeting under both, control the lighting (no sunlight-bright flourescents), do a little bit with acoustics. Have an OTA antenna feed of both analog and digital (after all, that's what you'll have at home!), plus DirecTV and DISH HD receivers. A DVD player would be nice, too. Have a surround sound receiver connected-up properly so the customer can hear what's being demo'ed. Do a good ISF calibration on the two monitors, and set the DD sound levels. Then, keep hands off of the adjustments....let the kids play with the other sets in the showroom!

Just give the customers a chance to experience the whole thing...OTA, DVD, Satellite, DD surround. If needed, use a server or D-VHS for SOME demo playback, but not exclusively. The customer needs to know that they can get real programming, not just demo loops!

Other ideas?

------------------
Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV/-DT.
"Not a REAL Engineer, but I play one in TV"

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-26-2001, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might consider an iScan doubler in the mix. Depends on how good the TV doublers are though. Personally, I'd set up a good top of the line NTSC (Wega?) within the same area. That depends on the selling points though.

Mike

BTW, if you get this set up why don't you email me? I should be passing through that part of the world in 1 month or so, and would like to see it.

[This message has been edited by MikeKO (edited 06-26-2001).]
post #3 of 6 Old 06-27-2001, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually, I want to stir up a bit of discussion and new ideas, hoping that maybe some retailers are reading this.

(I don't think I'm even welcome in many of the stores anymore http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

Let me know when you come to SLC....maybe I can show you around the station!

------------------

"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #4 of 6 Old 06-27-2001, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Ken, Has your station gone digital yet? Can you answer a question for me? If an ABC affiliate is already passing through DD 5.1 from the network, does that necessarily mean they can broadcast a local 5.1 signal, or do they still need more electronic equipment?

------------------

post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2001, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

The HDTV demos at one of the local Fry's was so bad I couldn't stand it. They run the DirecTV loop, but somehow they make it look like 480p. I ask the manager of the video department why it looked so bad. He just got mad and said it looked great to him.

------------------
- gridleak... biased toward HD

-Roger
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2001, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"If an ABC affiliate is already passing through DD 5.1 from the network, does that necessarily mean they can broadcast a local 5.1 signal, or do they still need more electronic equipment?"

I saw something (letters to the editor) in one of the magazines last week...letter from someone in-the-know at ABC. I'll try to find it, and get back to you.

------------------

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page