What happens when all-HD all the time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-03-2001, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This sounds a little like worrying about winning the lottery, because you won't know how to live if you don't have to follow a budget. I think I am capable of dealing with the problem. Actually, I think you will find you will at times watch less TV. At the moment, I occasionally find myself watching a horrible movie on HBO or Show, or a lame network show just because it is in HD. Once everything (or at least most) shows are in HD I know I will be far more discriminating about what I watch since the novelty will be gone.

I consider this problem a bit like the problem I have with my current setup. I feed my system with a 12 foot TVRO sat dish and 1 Meter DSS dish for a Canadian service including network HD. I have the array of receivers including the 4DTV, HDD-200, a UM box (which includes the OTA receiver), and an SD MPEG2 receiver. Since I have worked in the satellite business for 28 years (designing communication sats), I know a few tricks to pull in a lot of video channels most people can't get. With the availability of over a thousand channels (rough guess) I worried I would spend too much time watching. I don't watch any more TV than most people (certainly no more than any of my neighbors). What I can do, is watch whatever program I want without relying on a cable or DBS service to have that channel. I find myself just being more selective, and don't spend time watching filler or junk shows. With the HD around, I do, for the moment, watch a few programs I normally wouldn't watch in SD, but overall, I think you will find you will watch the same amount of TV you were used too, you just will enjoy the experience a LOT more.

------------------
jm in Boulder

John M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-03-2001, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I must confess to having watched "any HD, any time" when I first got my set-up, just BECAUSE it was HD. I don't do that any more and it's interesting (to me at least) that I am now actually watching less TV than I did before (except sports that I follow and news as SD) - I generally only watch HD (and a few scaled DVDs) when I also have an interest in the content. Sure it would be nice if all shows were HD so that when there was some specific content I wanted to watch, it would be in HD, but HD will not rule my life any more than cable, then BUD and local antenna, then DVDs, then Dish and recently HD (from wherever) did.

Perhaps I'm saying I think I have my HD addiction under control but I wonder what will become of me when PBS specials, Discovery channel, good movies on all the time on HBO Showtime and others, fill the airwaves all the time.

I know it's a long way off but it's going to get harder to get other stuff done - anyone else thinking about this???

Andy
post #3 of 3 Old 07-03-2001, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Andy,

Yes. And it's a ways off, but still a concern for me too.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page