getting rid of X10 popup window? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying X10 popup windows? I wish there was a law banning this type of advertising.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.x10.com/x10ads.htm

They have an option to set a cookie to get rid of the popups for 30 days.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

From the screen savers show notes
Quote:
Download of the Day

Sick of X-10 and others popping up on your screen? POW kill 'em with Analog X's free download .

Haven't tried this myself.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC
post #4 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks all. Tried the one from hotfiles. Seems to work OK - no more popups.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Are these X10 popups coming up in HD? If not then once again we have stuff posted in THE WRONG FORUM!!!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List
post #6 of 18 Old 08-06-2001, 09:37 PM

There is also a free download called POPUP KILLEr from www.hotfiles.com

I use this progrma and it works flawlessly.
post #7 of 18 Old 08-07-2001, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FrankS,

Chill out dude. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif The Topic here is General Chit-Chat! And yes, I am getting (or was) these annoying popup ads while browsing this forum.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-07-2001, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Just to clear this up....AVS Forum is not running ANY X-10 ads. The POP-UP's are not from here. I also HATE those ads and wrote X-10 about it.

------------------
David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com
The Nate Home Theater

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #9 of 18 Old 08-09-2001, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Chill out dude. The Topic here is General Chit-Chat! And yes, I am getting (or was) these annoying popup ads while browsing this forum.
Actually DUDE (tend to give away your age with the DUDE comment)! If you READ the forum name it is HDTV General Chit Chat! That means anything in general that has to do with HDTV not annoying web pop ups! There is WAY TO MUCH of this posting in wrong forums and mulitple posts on the same subjects going on these days!

------------------
------------------

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 08-09-2001).]
post #10 of 18 Old 08-09-2001, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First let me say peace to Ken and Frank. I don't mean to get in the middle of any flame war as that is tiresome for all. However, I do have a comment or two to add in an attempt to hopefully resolve this little rift between you two.

Actually Frank the full topic header is as follows:
Sit on a stool and discuss 'Off Topic' HDTV matters. From Humor, News, and TV shows.

You can clearly see that "Off Topic" HDTV matters are perfectly appropriate and "Off Topic" seems to have been the operative intent of this forum. In fact the rest of the fine print goes on to include humor, news, TV shows! Secondly, this forum has poster's of all ages with their own unique vernacular. In the 50's we would have used the words "Daddy-O" or some other trendy silly phrase. I doubt if Ken's use of the word "Dude" was meant in any disrespectful way. Just in case, hey Ken my man . . . write another post and tell him you didn't mean to "dis" him. Oops...there I go...I'm doing it myself...and I'm 48 years old myself!

Even the Administrator posted and commented that he was upset over those pop-up's himself! Anyway, like I said, peace to Frank and Ken and let's all just relax a bit and realize that maybe this particular forum was always meant to have it's rules relaxed just a tad. Waving!

------------------
Cobra

COBRA

. . . Unleash the Hounds of Hell . . .
post #11 of 18 Old 08-09-2001, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Actually Frank the full topic header is as follows:
Sit on a stool and discuss 'Off Topic' HDTV matters. From Humor, News, and TV shows.
Again I ask what does this have to do with HDTV? It says Off Topic HDTV matters! Does the word HDTV become invisible when next to the words off topic?

The Moderator is also aware of this posting in wrong forums trend ie.. his thread: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/004051.html

------------------
------------------

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 08-10-2001).]
post #12 of 18 Old 08-10-2001, 10:13 AM

Well I'm not going to beat this dead horse too much longer because I can see this is going to be an exercise in futility. It seems like what we probably need to do is to remove every single post from this forum that doesn't mention "H D T V" in some form, shape or manner, or simply doesn't comply with a given member's belief of what is relevant! Personally, I thought that was the Moderator's job, but now it seems that a given member will now be deciding what is acceptable for the rest of us to read!

Perhaps, we should continue this draconian theory throughout every single forum on the AVS site that strays just one bit from the strict language of the posted topic! In fact, your right . . . no-one should ever be allowed to ever digress from the specific topic as written! Nope, not ever, no matter how slightly, no exceptions, no excuses! Happy now Frank? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/mad.gif

I fully understand the Administrator and the Moderator's desire to want to generally keep post's somewhat tied to topic of discussion. I agree with that policy. But I have observed, and I believe a lot of people would concur, that some of the best post's have included those that have in fact touched on peripheral areas of the topic or even occasionally strayed from the precise topic. So long as the entire thread doesn't go too astray...what's the harm?

Wait, I know...it offends you Frank and that's what's really important . . . "YOU" . . . not the group . . ."YOU".

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
Cobra

COBRA

post #13 of 18 Old 08-10-2001, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I can see your membership will really improve this forum http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif! The veteran 10+ poster that you are! You just go a head and post things that have nothing to do with the forum involved and watch how they are moved and/or removed!

------------------
------------------
post #14 of 18 Old 08-10-2001, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
As moderator, I defer to David Bott, the Forum Administrator in all matters. Since he happened to post a reply here, I would think he is OK with this topic being here.

I am attempting to get member cooperation for placing topics in their proper forum. Any help with this effort is appreciated. As always, if you have an issue with a members's actions, please let me know via AVS Private Message or e-mail, as opposed to a public flame war.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #15 of 18 Old 08-10-2001, 12:59 PM

Thank you Ken! Finally, a voice with some reason. As I pointed out the Administrator himself joined in the "off topic" post and took no issue. As I also pointed out, keeping a whole thread from going way off topic is a legitimate concern and I support that policy. I just thought (as apparently the Administrator did also) that an occasional off-related post isn't going to end the world. You are also correct that people should contact you in the event they have such an issue and not engage in publically demeaning and degrading other posters like was done to Ken.

Finally, Frank that childish little comment about other's not having as many post's as "YOU" will be treated with the honorable ignorance it richly deserves. The viewpoints of all here have equal value and unlike you I respect and value the opinions of the senior poster's just as much as newcommer's. I would have thought someone who had been around here for a while wouldn't have forgotten that core principal of why this whole thing exists. Peace to all here and let's try and respect each other a little more. Waving! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Cobra

COBRA

post #16 of 18 Old 08-11-2001, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Finally, Frank that childish little comment about other's not having as many post's as "YOU" will be treated with the honorable ignorance it richly deserves.
Childish! I would refer to your "Mars, Alpha Base 3, Zoran Quadrant" location to indicate the child!

To Ken & David,
I will ignore this thread and poster from now on but would caution you to keep and I eye out as already he is a pot stirer! I am just sick of all these posts in wrong forums but will in the future just pass these threads onto you two for action.

------------------
------------------

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 08-11-2001).]
post #17 of 18 Old 08-11-2001, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
This thread is closed.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #18 of 18 Old 08-11-2001, 09:48 PM

Frank Frank Frank...the Mars reference is simply to have some fun. Something you sadly seem totally incapable of doing. You are way too uptight and sensitive and I'm actually beginning to feel quite sad for you. So now your rendering "cautions" to the moderator and administrator? Obviously, you don't think their doing their jobs either...why because they didn't agree with YOU? Who's really the "pot stirrer" here? We will see if you will really be ignoring this thread . . . bet you don't. I repeat . . . grow up. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
COBRA

COBRA

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page