Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2001, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been a DISH Network customer for about 3-4 years now, but my wife has never had an account with them. If I turn my service off, will she be allowed to:
1) get a new DISH system at the new customer pricing?
2) get DISH Network's latest promo ($9/month for the Top100)?
We do have the same last name and of course the same address, but I could give them a different phone number (her cell phone).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2001, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can't give them a cell number so don't try, it must be a landline that you hook your RCVRs to.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

What if I don't have a landline that hooks to the rec'r? I know many people who don't bother with a landline (since they have a cable modem for internet access)! I've emailed DISH and they told me their rec'rs only needed a land line to order PPVs -- other than that I was told I could get full funtionality.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Come on now! You already know the answer to this question! You sound like your trying to get justifications/ideas for trying to defraud Dish Network from the forum members here. It's quite obvious that a new customer does NOT include wives or kids or dogs who live in the same house as the current or recent customer who lives in the same house! Luckily, Dish has a pretty good system in place to catch those who are trying to pull stuff like you want to in place! Otherwise we would all be paying MUCH more for our programming and equipment to compensate for fraud comitted on them!

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List
Old 08-14-2001, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS:
Come on now! You already know the answer to this question! You sound like your trying to get justifications/ideas for trying to defraud Dish Network from the forum members here.
Technically my wife has NEVER been a customer of DISH Network -- plain and simple. I'm not try to defraud anyone! If we were just living together (and not married) then it would be NO problem for her to become a new customer!!! Why should she be penalized JUST because she got married? I guess you are one of these poeple that think married couples should be taxed at a higher rate (than two single people only living together)! She is a real person who has never been a DISH Network customer, so therefore she should be entitled to a new customer deal. I'm not sure if DISH Network see it that way -- but that's just because they want to make more money (not because they are trying to be fair).
Old 08-14-2001, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

STL,

As I understand it: I don't think their service plans are related to just an individual. Rather, the concept I think is to provide programming to a household...hence their rules. Dish is willing to subsidize the initial hardware so as to compete with cable or DirecTV. They get their their foot in the door and then sell/get subsequent programming subscriptions. Some call it the Gillette model.

The conundrum of course is how does Dish keep their older customers satisfied. They have to give newbies a break just to get them while the older ones demand breaks for being loyal customers. And, unfortunately, the hardware is fairly expensive to make. There appears to be no good answer.

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
Old 08-14-2001, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Thanks for the post cowboy (and others). I'll try the call and see what it gets me. The main reason I'm investigating this is because I want to get a HD STB to replace my current DISH 4000 rec'r. Those HD STBs cost a small fortune to current customers; yet will only cost a new customer a couple hundred dollars. Maybe I'll just try to find a OTA STB and discontinue my DISH subscription all together (since it looks so bad anyhow). If you have even seen the standard defination channels on a big screen (even a HDTV one) you will see that DISH Network (and DTV so I hear) are really OVER-compressing the heck out of most of their channels (except for HBOs, PPVs, etc.)!!
Old 08-14-2001, 06:10 PM

My wife subscribed without problem in a similar case.
Old 08-14-2001, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

dmitriy,
Interesting... Same last name; same address, same phone number?

Bruce
Latest Summary on COLUMBIA SC HDTV can be found here.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL:
Technically my wife has NEVER been a customer of DISH Network -- plain and simple. I'm not try to defraud anyone! If we were just living together (and not married) then it would be NO problem for her to become a new customer!!![/b]
That's not true..DISH has certain criteria that must be met to be considered a "new" customer. I believe part of that includes checking the name, address, phone number, etc. to see if service has been established either at a particular residence or to a certain individual.

Now I don't completely understand exactly how they determine eligibility, but I do know (as do you) that what you are asking clearly violates their agreement. You may disagree with their policy, but it's their ball and if you want to play the game you must play by their rules.

As I see it you have three choices:

1. Continue with DISH and try to get the best available deal if you want to upgrade your service/equipment
2. Drop DISH and get yourself a new customer deal with DirecTV or cable
3. Cheat - find a way around DISH's policy

You may not like 1 & 2, but at least you can look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day...
Old 08-14-2001, 10:57 PM

As a DTV subscriber, I can understand the original post.
Yes you could :

1. Subcribe under you MIDDLE NAME
2. Use your wife or any other family member's name
3. Use your FAX phone number

The point is WHY? Is it really worth it? I have been getting the East and West channels (Remember Primetime 24) for years. I was tempted to "re-subscribe" as a new customer. As an "old" subscriber, I was grandfathered with authorization to receive the distant channels. As a new subsciber, I would only be eligible for my local channels.

The deals given to "new" subscribers is done to give them
an opportunity to acquire service at a discount. The hope is that they will get "hooked" and bring in additional customers. The DBS companies are banking on the revenue stream monthly programming, PPV, NFL package, etc).

The honest thing to do is call and explain your situation to them. Meaning, don't tell them you are considering switching service if you really are not. It's your call. I'm not getting into morals or stealing ,etc here. One could make an argument that as long as you are actually PAYING for service, what differrence does it make who's name it is in?

As I have mentioned in previous posts, when I moved last year, I resubscribed as a new customer last fall. I moved to a new location (new address,phone,fax,and receivers and dish) and received the benefit of the free install offer.
What I lost in the process is my distant network feeds.
Consider the programming I lost is not that great and can be seen via an OTA antenna anyway, I did not lose much!

Fact of the matter, If someone wants to steal from you, an alarm or door lock will only slow them down. A determined thief will get what he/she wants. I'm not calling you a thief,just making a point. If someone wants to benefit from the "new" subscriber deal, they will and can find a way.

Yes it seems the new subscribers get the goodies, but the old subscribers will hopefeully benefit LATER as more subscriber should result in higher revenue. This should lead to better programming and even cheaper programming.

Like I said, call Dish and ask about any upgrade specials they are having. I bvelieve they have a customer retention department or representative.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'll just try to find a OTA STB and discontinue my DISH subscription all together (since it looks so bad anyhow). If you have even seen the standard defination channels on a big screen (even a HDTV one) you will see that DISH Network (and DTV so I hear) are really OVER-compressing the heck out of most of their channels (except for HBOs, PPVs, etc.)!!
Demonizing Dish doesn't make it right.

Sure, I envy new customer deals that come out after I already made mine, but I live with it - why should Dish be responsible for keeping you stocked with toys?

The only solution to this is rental plans. I think that the Sat. companies should provide rental options for their equipment (with the understanding that if you got a used piece of equipment you wouldn't complain so long as it worked). That would make the toys more affordable and also allow for flexibility when the next best thing comes around.

-Mike
Old 08-16-2001, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mjovanovic:
Demonizing Dish doesn't make it right.

Sure, I envy new customer deals that come out after I already made mine, but I live with it - why should Dish be responsible for keeping you stocked with toys?
Where are you getting this??!!?? Make what right -- me buying an OTA only HD STB and discontinuing my DISH service?

I said I was going to look for an OTA only HD STB (like a Panny TU-DST50) and maybe just discontinue DISH service because their SD channels are so bad on a big screen RPTV. I did NOT say, "since there SD channels are so bad I want a new customer deal"!!! Geez, you obviously have problems comprehending what you read.

[This message has been edited by STL (edited 08-16-2001).]
Old 08-17-2001, 07:27 AM

I don't have any problems comprehending what I read.

You came on originally asking people to give you some insight into how you could use your wifes name (and cell phone number) to make it appear as if you were a new customer. People told you that it was basically wrong to do.

So when you saw that you couldn't trick Dish into getting you free (or heavilly discounted equipment) you decide that perhaps the best option would be to cancel and purchase a set top box (and then mentioning that the picture quality with Dish was bad anyway).

-Mike
Old 08-17-2001, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't have any problems comprehending what I read.
I beg to differ.

Quote:
You came on originally asking people to give you some insight into how you could use your wifes name (and cell phone number) to make it appear as if you were a new customer. People told you that it was basically wrong to do.
I was trying to determine just how strict DISH was with their new customer policy.

Quote:
So when you saw that you couldn't trick Dish into getting you free (or heavilly discounted equipment) you decide that perhaps the best option would be to cancel and purchase a set top box (and then mentioning that the picture quality with Dish was bad anyway).
Did you not read the [only] response from someone (dmitriy) who actually tried it? He said his wife WAS considered a NEW customer! The reason I am considering dropping my DISH subscription IS becuase the SD picture quality is so poor on a RPTV. In all this discussion, I realized that it's really HD programming that I'm after and DISH doesn't really offer much HD programming (and like I said their SD quality is sub par because they choose to over-compress their channels) so I decided it might just be best for me to find an OTA only HD rec'r and not worry with trying to sign my wife up as a new customer. It would be cheaper in the long run (no monthly fees) and I would be watching a much better picture (quality wise). How is that a bad thing?

Old 08-18-2001, 02:29 PM

In other words, you want to cheat, and are too chickenskit to admit it to yourself.

And I bet you call yourself religious, too.
Old 08-19-2001, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
STL
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zuma hans:
In other words, you want to cheat, and are too chickenskit to admit it to yourself..
My wife has NEVER been a DISH customer -- plain and simple. Her name has NEVER appeared on a DISH Network bill and she has never had an account with them. If she had not taken my last name or we simply lived together, DISH Network would have absolutely no problem with her signing up for a new account. So I was curious to know just how strict their policy was is in this situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by zuma hans:
And I bet you call yourself religious, too.
Does this have anything to do with the subject of this thread?!? It sounds like you have other "issues" you need worked out. Maybe you should try to find an internet self-help group or something.

Old 08-19-2001, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
...and with that, this thread is closed.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'