Afraid to take the plunge for this reasons. Burnout, Copy Prot, and Future tech.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-20-2001, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planning on buy the Proscan 3800 HDTV. The black line issue concerns me, because this is likely to be my main viewing TV with my current 27" 4:3 being moved out of the family room. With paucity of wide screen broadcast broadcasts at the current time I expect to be seeing alot of black lines. Does this burnout issue effect all TV's currently on the market (plasma, rear projection and direct view)including the RCA/Proscan line? If so how many hours/days/months etc. would it take for this damage to occur? And is stretching the 4:3 image the only solution?
Or is this one of those things that will eventually be worked out technically over time (like computer CRT burnout)? I sure don't want to buy drop 3K and find the TV damaged in a short while.

Secondly, this copy protection scheme that's looming on the horizon, just how many HDTV's will be effected (outmoded) if the worst scenario comes true? My understanding is that this will only effect HDTV's requiring a set top box and not those with their own built in hardware? So what's the deal this issue.

Finally does anyone have any idea what future tech is coming down the pipeline which may make any current purchase less than satisfactory in 5 years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-20-2001, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, the proper term is burn-in. If you calibrate your black and white levels, and reasonably vary the content you watch, you don't have to worry about burn-in.

Copy protectionwill only affect premium channels (HBO, SHO), PPV, and probably HD-DVD. OTA HDTV will remain unencrypted, so there will be plenty of HD content to watch. And that's assuming that these schemes actually take hold (i.e. people buy into them) which still remains to be seen. People don't buy things that restrict what they can do with their equipment.

And as far as the future is concerned yes, I'm pretty sure that anything available five years from now will be ten times better than what we have now, but if you're going to be waiting for better equipment you'll never buy anything. Something better is always around the corner. In the meantime you'll be missing out on the good things we have TODAY.

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 08-20-2001).]
post #3 of 5 Old 08-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysy:
Finally does anyone have any idea what future tech is coming down the pipeline which may make any current purchase less than satisfactory in 5 years?
5 years is an awful large window; DLP/LCOS technology is starting to appear and I would guess within 2-3 years that will be taking off bigtime for various reasons (smaller TV footprints, etc). But then, tech will always improve year by year; that doesn't void your investment but DVI implementation could.

------------------
"You can't argue with a confident man"
- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2001, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks vrius and HiDefGuy. A couple of followups now. The adjustment of contrast/brightness etc to avoid burn-in, are these compromises still aesthetically pleasing? And DLP/LCOS technology and DVI. . . what do those terms mean?
Please excuse my ignorance.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2001, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If you use the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD's (I can not strees how this $35 investment is the best money you'll spend on HT) to calibrate your HDTV you will actually get a much more film-like picture (which is what most are stiving for) then you have now and your Contrast and brightness will be at levels they should be at to help prevent burn-in.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page