Closed Thread

post #1 of 32 Old 07-19-2001, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Charley Ergen, Echostar CEO says:

CBS East and West HDTV feeds on Aug 1, trying to get other broadcasters on board.

We're taking the lead in HDTV.

You can listen to it all: http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir...SH&script=2400

And, a new HDTV receiver is coming, model DPVR921 – 2 Tuners, 2 USB Ports, E2IDE, internet access, receives OTA analog and digital programming.

Thanks to Claude Greiner & Michael Burns, at DBS Forums.

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 07-20-2001).]

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 07-19-2001, 09:44 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11

The new receiver is the interesting thing to me.. Look at the model number "DPVR921" PVR, hopefully that means Personal Video Recorder (i.e. Tivo functionality). Also, E2IDE.. what is that? Some new form of IDE hard drive? A google search turned up nothing for E2IDE.

I already get CBS all the major networks in HD, so I would not pay more to get it via the dish. But, the PVR is the killer app for me. If this is a good, useable PVR solution, I will gladly drop all of my DirecTV equipment and subscription in favor of this.
post #3 of 32 Old 07-19-2001, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Dumb question: What do you do with USB ports on a Satellite Receiver?

Dennis

------------------
Dennis Whiteman
FastPipe Media, Inc.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #4 of 32 Old 07-19-2001, 10:59 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

I just listened to the web archive of their quarterly update linked above.

I was pleasantly surprised at their comments about HDTV. They made strong claims about wanting to be the HDTV leader & expanding their programming, and HDTV becoming more important as TV prices continue to drop.

They also said it was a competitive advantage against their cable and satellite competitors.

It's nice to hear this at the executive level.
post #5 of 32 Old 07-20-2001, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The rumors are that the 921 is a personal video recorder. charlie also mentioned on the last Charlie Chat (or maybe 2 chats ago) that they were working on a PVR for HD. The cooles part is that it should be able to record OTA as well as Sat stuff since they are both already digital. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check This Thread at AVS
post #6 of 32 Old 07-20-2001, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Dennis,

Maybe the USB ports have something to do with internet access via satellite (Starband)?

------------------
HiDefDave

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #7 of 32 Old 07-20-2001, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

I would bet that the USB ports are to allow for broadband type internet access. USB to 10 base-T adapter to your network or DSL or cable modem.

Todd
post #8 of 32 Old 07-20-2001, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

After listening to the conference call, I was kind of left with the impression that the USB ports were related to the Starband deal, but I've often wondered why, with ethernet NICs and hubs/switches/routers at incredibly low prices, they didn't go with ethernet as their main interface.

And why would you need two USB ports? I suppose one would be like a pass-through hub, but I just don't get it. For one thing, as a Mac user, they're very unlikely to have Mac drivers for this product given their past track record. And if it's to provide video into your computer or allow you to tune stations, USB just doesn't have the bandwidth for that. Firewire would be a better technology...

Dennis

------------------
Dennis Whiteman
FastPipe Media, Inc.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #9 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I think USB is a good idea for it because EVERY PC, and MAC comes with one, and has been for the last. . . 3 or 4 years. Not everyone has an ethernet adaptor so it makes life a little easier.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #10 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 06:01 AM
Hot
Advanced Member

When should the DPVR921 be available?

------------------
Hot

Mike aka Hot
post #11 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 07:07 AM

Does anyone know the reason why Dishnet doesn't offer the NFL Sunday Ticket?

The only reason I haven't gone satellite is, on one hand, I really would like to get the Sunday Ticket but, on the other, Dish is obviously going to lead in HD services for the next few years.

The other aspect of Dish I really like is their commitment to run native HD signals to the viewer. As far as I know, they haven't actually run any 720p at this point but I'm still convinced, eventually, most networks will use both HD formats...720p for sports and 1080i for regular shows.

Because of that, you can use any STB you'd like including one's that handles 720p natively for Dish. For those of us that have sets that can do both HD formats, it's important.

Anyway, Dish is so much better for HD, on so many levels, I just can't get myself to go DirecTv.

post #12 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

DirecTV has an exclusive deal with the NFL for small dish satellite through the 2002 season. They also have right of first refusal for any future contract.

Does make you wonder why the NFL would want an exclusive contract instead of getting multiple revenue streams for the same programming.

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #13 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 10:04 AM

Thanks, Jimbo.

Now I'm starting to think going with a BUD may be worth it, if I can receive the NFL Sunday Ticket as well as HBO, Showtime and CBS HD.

I guess that's the next question. Can a BUD user get CBS-HD now? I know you can get HBO and Showtime.
post #14 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, I don't think BUD owners can get CBS or NBC. Someone asked Bob Ross whether CBS could make a network feed available to BUD owners with 4DTV gear. Didn't get a response, as far as I know.

ABC and PBS are currently available through BUD gear, though that option may go away at any time. You need some nice unity motion or integra receiver though. I think you may also need a Ku or Ka capable satellite dish for ABC. Do a search for it in the hardware or programming forum.

Right now, BUD is pricy and with an uncertain future for HD. It is the best quality, cost no object way to get NTSC and SD though. I would like to have one, but I just don't think there is enough future in it. Besides, my neighbors are unhappy enough with my OTA antenna. Since I'm renting this house, there's no need to push it.

Jim

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #15 of 32 Old 07-21-2001, 08:51 PM

I would think they would want you to use satellite for internet service. Although, Pegasus/DirecTV is offering DSL service.

Hmmmmm.... USB..... Keyboard, mouse maybe?

------------------
Mark II

Mark II

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; am I therefore perfect?
post #16 of 32 Old 07-22-2001, 12:28 PM
Tex

Here is the internet features on the 721:·
Internet access and Web browsing (to be made available in a future product update) with the ability to connect other peripherals.
· 56K Dial-up
· StarBand
· 2 USB Ports (1 on front panel, 1 on back panel) for EchoStar-approved peripherals, which could include: keyboard, mouse, printer, game console, satellite uplink modem, etc.

Should be the same for the 921. Also a new line of switches is coming out, called Dish Pro they work with 301,501,721 and up only. It will allow you to use one cable for two receivers or one cable for a two tuner IRD like the 721 or 921. And allow for cable runs up to 200'. The 921 is slated for early 2002 but you never know. The switches will be out in a month or so. Dish is making a move on the HD market and since they are the only one to make there stuff they have total control of the software.
post #17 of 32 Old 07-22-2001, 04:36 PM

Wonder what the unit(s) will end up costing?

I thought that was why DirecTV had so many different companies manufacturing receivers in the first place. Competitive pricing and numerous possibilities for new technology advances.

They were the first in HD with the DTC-100 but, no place to go from there. If it weren't for local HD stations I would have never bought the DTC-100. The unit is a joke as far as a satellite receiver and guide display.

Just to show I guess first doesn't hardly ever end up the king.

------------------
Mark II

[This message has been edited by Mark II (edited 07-22-2001).]

Mark II

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; am I therefore perfect?
post #18 of 32 Old 07-22-2001, 07:52 PM
Tex

Directv rushed to be the first small dish in the USA. They used a system for there smartcards from a European satellite company. The cards were hacked already in Europe and they shipped anyway. The hacker problem still haunts them to this day. As for pricing look at the sony stuff and they still won't let you surf the guide w/o changing the channels on the pip guide. (sorry for the rant)

Price is unknown? Tuesday there is a chat, if there is any info on the 921 I will post it here. I'm hoping they will move the 921 up to November or December and September 1 for the 721. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
post #19 of 32 Old 07-27-2001, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimate:
...I've often wondered why, with ethernet NICs and hubs/switches/routers at incredibly low prices, they didn't go with ethernet as their main interface.
USB was designed to be a consumer-oriented "plug-and-play" interface; Ethernet was not. While you and I could configure an Ethernet connection easily, it is believed to be too complex for the average person.

Quote:
And why would you need two USB ports?
USB host controller chips implement 2 ports, so you get the second one for "free", anyway.

------------------
You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

[This message has been edited by BarryO (edited 07-27-2001).]

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
post #20 of 32 Old 07-27-2001, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
USB was designed to be a consumer-oriented "plug-and-play" interface; Ethernet was not. While you and I could configure an Ethernet connection easily, it is believed to be too complex for the average person.
Ethernet has been plug and play on Macs since 1992. You plug it in and it works. Ethernet drivers for almost every NIC are built into even Windows. You plug it in and via TCP/IP and you "discover" an address. No installing drivers that need to be updated all the time; the revised drivers are part of the OS service packs.

If someone is smart enough to get a computer home and unboxed, they're smart enough to plug it into an ethernet jack in the wall -- just like a telephone.

Dennis

------------------
Dennis Whiteman
FastPipe Media, Inc.

[This message has been edited by ultimate (edited 07-28-2001).]

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #21 of 32 Old 07-28-2001, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue with ethernet comes down to support IMHO. Some people have never opened a computer in there life and are scared to death too. I know this from teaching computers. A lot of people don't want to go inside, while it may seem easy to you and me, its very frightning to some. USB is easy because you just have to plug a cable into the pc, and into the reciever. But if its not going to be used for that then it doesn't make a difference anway :-)

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

post #22 of 32 Old 07-28-2001, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I have two friends who were early adopters of Starband -- one with a dedicated PC and two PCI cards and the other with the 180 modem box. Neither was plug and play and the later didn't work properly for their Mac-based office until they unplugged the USB card, which activated the ethernet port, which they then plugged into a router.

In addition to the need for drivers that aren't built into the OS, the use of USB carries with it some serious cable restrictions -- not to mention that USB cables cost about 10 times what a plug and play cat 5 network cable costs.

I've got ethernet installations that runs over a thousand feet without any type of "booster". On top of that with 811b you have the potential for wireless ethernet at extremely low cost. You give that up by going with USB. I can use my Powerbook at a distance of roughly 200 feet with a totally wireless connection faster than anything Starband can deliver to me. Potentially, you could have a wireless transmitter on the DISH without any need to run wires at all for Starband internet.

In addition, USB doesn't work with Windows NT and isn't all that reliable with Windows '95. While Macs have had USB for more than three years, ethernet is the preferred connection for broadband internet. And from a cost standpoint, I've got to think including ethernet on the motherboard is cheaper than USB given you can buy ethernet 10/100 NICs for around $20 and USB PCI cards cost $30.

From a manufacturing standpoint, there would be no need to write drivers for ethernet. They write the software for the receiver, perhaps just license a router chipset, so that it provides DHCP, NAT and perhaps a proxy server and the inner workings of it are totally transparent to the end user. It just works.

Dennis

------------------
Dennis Whiteman
FastPipe Media, Inc.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #23 of 32 Old 07-28-2001, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

As an aside, there are some benefits to having USB in the receiver, just not for networking. The ability to plug-in a USB printer will allow you print out those nice bills you pay via OpenTV. And there are several cool USB devices, including my Digital Media Remote, an IR remote control for Macs and PCs.

But where are the drivers for these devices going to come from? Sure, they can update them via satellite, but I've got to think their receiver is going to be proprietary enough that driver availability will be spotty at best.

Dennis

------------------
Dennis Whiteman
FastPipe Media, Inc.

Dennis Whiteman
Check out HDTVOK.COM
post #24 of 32 Old 07-29-2001, 08:56 AM

CBS is unavailable to BUD users unless they have an expensive 4:2:2 tuner.

NBC is available, but is on an inclined satellite. This means most dishes (which move east and west) cannot move north or south of the elliptic to "fine tune" this satellite. Some hobbyists have this, all NBC affiliates do, but most of us don't.

NBC has plans to go 4:2:2 soon anyway.
post #25 of 32 Old 07-29-2001, 07:34 PM
Tex

The new Starband 360 modem is out this Wednesday Aug 1.

StarBand recently announced the launch of its third-generation product, the StarBand Model 360â„¢ satellite modem, a sleek, consumer-friendly product that provides greater connectivity options than its predecessor, the StarBand Model 180â„¢. DISH Network retailers will begin selling the StarBand Model 360â„¢ later this month. For more information on how to purchase StarBand Internet service, visit www.dishnetwork.com or www.starband.com.

post #26 of 32 Old 07-31-2001, 03:11 PM

Do you know the name of the switch mentioned earlier in this thread which will allow 1 cable to feed two receivers. I have a twin LNB and I would like to feed 3 receivers maybe this switch will make that possible without buying dual LNB and SW64.

Also is that switch expected to come out in August?

Thanks

------------------
Eram
---------------------
TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Dish 6000 + 8VSB, A/V Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

Rummy
Pioneer 50in Kuro 1080
Onkyo 605
Sony VAIO XL201
post #27 of 32 Old 08-09-2001, 02:05 PM

One of the current issues with ethernet and USB is lack of Quality of Service (QOS). This is guarantee of delivery over the wire. 1394 has this with 'isochronous" channels. Though given gigabit ethernet and the fact that digital video is only 20- 30 Mbit/sec it's hard to see how you would have a problem.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
post #28 of 32 Old 08-13-2001, 02:31 PM

I would guess that the USB is for a keyboard, mouse or some other user interface...like the Ultimate TV box.
post #29 of 32 Old 08-22-2001, 07:23 AM

I note the comment that the new receiver will receive HD and analog OTA. Does the 6000 also receive analog as well as HD?
post #30 of 32 Old 08-22-2001, 08:19 AM

Yes, the 6000 with the optional 8VSB tuner cartridge does receive both analog and digital television signals. It also includes those broadcasts into the program guide but does not do a very good job of giving programming details for the broadcast stations. The 8VSB tuner is also cable-ready and can be used to integrate OTA digital television broadcasts with cable tv channels.

Techweenies.com: Your Technology Source for tech news, reviews, software and much more!

Uneedawebsite.com - Reliable. Professional. Business. Web hosting.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page