A bit confused but smart enough to learn... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-21-2001, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I looked around a for about half an hour and couldn't find an old thread that helped me. First let me tell you what I have, and then I will ask a few questions.
DVD: Toshiba SD-9000
Sat: ES4722 (Best there was at the time)
TV: Mitsu WS-65903
Tuner: Mitsu M-VR700

1. Is there any way to get the DVD player to play CD-Rs with either a firmware upgrade or piece of hardware?
2. Is plugging the DVD player into the component input of the TV the best picture I can get or can I get better resolution by buying an HDTV "box" of some sort?
3. Is the 6022 Sat system the HDTV "box" I need for HDTV quality pictures on my set or does it work in conjunction with an HDTV "box", ie does it have inputs for a DVD player?

I realize this may seem like a simple bunch of questions, but I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with computer technology as a PC tech and this field seems to be changing just as quickly. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif
Any help would be appreciated.
Robert Garcia

[This message has been edited by itsmiami (edited 08-22-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-22-2001, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by itsmiami:
1. Is there any way to get the DVD player to play CD-Rs with either a firmware upgrade or piece of hardware?
I don't know. Someone else will have to help you with this.

Quote:
2. Is plugging the DVD player into the component input of the TV the best picture I can get or can I get better resolution by buying an HDTV "box" of some sort?
Yes, probably. DVD isn't HDTV so using an HDTV 'box' isn't going to make it HDTV. The component outputs will give you better picture (in general) than either composite or S-video.

Quote:
3. Is the 6022 Sat system the HDTV "box" I need for HDTV quality pictures on my set or does it work in conjunction with an HDTV "box", ie does it have inputs for a DVD player?
The 6000 receiver (6022 or 6023 refers to the number and type of dishes it comes with) is what you will need to receive HDTV broadcasts via DBS from Dish Networks.

If you want to receive Over The Air Digital TV broadcasts (either HD or SD TV), you will have to add the optional 8VSB tuner module to the 6000, which turns it into a full function set top box.

The 6000 does not have any input switching built into it. You would have that either in your set or in your audio/video receiver.

Techweenies.com: Your Technology Source for tech news, reviews, software and much more!

Uneedawebsite.com - Reliable. Professional. Business. Web hosting.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-22-2001, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by itsmiami:

I'm assuming you want the DVD player to play video. I have not heard anything if your talking about DivX or some other codec.

In theory, your DVD player should play VCDs (Video CDs) on CD-Rs without any problem.

The only case this might not be is if your DVD player does not recognize CD-R's. I have heard of many car sterios and one DVD player that could not handle CD-R's at all.

------------------
Rebies
_ __________________ _
"If I ever catch a fish and think of him as just another fish, it is that day that I will either sell my gear or simply give it away."

[This message has been edited by Rebies (edited 08-22-2001).]
post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2001, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The manual for my year-old Toshiba SD-6200 says it handles CD-R as well as CD-RW and lots of other formats. Suspect many other players can also take these formats. A search in the DVD forum with this model number, or just 6200, should turn up information. The archived DVD section may have threads, too. -- John
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page