Ruby Laser Based HD DVD Demonstrated. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just posted this in the DVD Hardware Forum but I think it's of general interest to the HDTV forum.

The following has been announed by Constellation 3D, a NASDAQ listed U.S. company engaged in Information Storage Development.

"CONSTELLATION 3D, INC. DEBUTES FIRST HDTV COMPATIBLE FLUORESCENT MULTILAYER DISC

NEW YORK, August 22, 2001 (BUSINESS WIRE) - Constellation 3D, Inc. ("C3D")

(Nasdaq/NMS: CDDD), developer of Fluorescent Multilayer Discs (FMD) and Cards (FMC), announced that its ongoing HDTV ROM technology development program has yielded a significant achievement - the world's first HDTV compatible fluorescent discs and drives. Technical requirements of the ROM disc data read and output rate in excess of 20 Mbits/sec were attained by using the latest advancements in the proprietary set of fluorescent dye-polymer compositions developed by Constellation 3D. The much higher data read rate and consequently higher resolution of HDTV requires greater disc capacity than DVD can provide.

Recent technological developments were successfully integrated into the Company's HDTV-ROM disc by its media technology group. Sample disks were played and tested using proprietary fluorescent disc drives designed and built by C3D's drive group. The HDTV fluorescent disc drives include widely available standard red laser drive components as well as an internally developed optical pick-up mechanism, signal filtering system and analog/digital data processing components.

Constellation 3D, Inc.'s President, Dr. Eugene Levich, stated that, "HDTV players and media are the necessary and enabling technologies allowing for a further proliferation and acceptance of the HDTV ready television sets already in use and being retailed around the world. The significance of today's achievement underscores the importance of our recently announced relationships with WAMO and Profilo Telra. Today we are able to demonstrate that our FMD technology will support the growing high density, High Definition markets with a viable, cost effective and aesthetically rich solution."

Steve Haddad, C3D Senior Vice President of Business Development and

Marketing, said, "This is a significant accomplishment on the part of our technology team. These developments enhance and augment the continued execution of our commercialization strategy which includes providing product demonstrations under non-disclosure with key prospective partners, content providers, industry leaders and early adopters of the removable storage platform format of the future."

Constellation 3D, Inc.

The Company is the worldwide leader in the development of high capacity Fluorescent Multilayer Disc and Card (FMD/C) technology. Constellation 3D holds or has made applications for over 120 worldwide patents in the field of optical data storage, and is supported by 65 scientists. Headquartered in New York City, the Company has additional offices and laboratories in Massachusetts, Israel and Russia. More information is available at

www.c-3d.net <http://www.c-3d.net>."

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have noticed that every time their stop drops sharply, they issue a positive sounding press release.
Their stock is so low now that I wonder if anything they say will raise it.

Frank

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

I think a demonstration of their ability to store and retrieve HD material from a disk is worthy of a press release, don't you?
Cheers. Don

Don
post #4 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It sure didn't do anything to help the price of their stock.

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This sounds like a good technology. I hope they don't run out of money before gettng it to market.

- Tom

------------------
<FONT size="1">
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website . </FONT s>
<FONT size="2">And Free Dmitri Sklyarov</FONT s>

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #6 of 8 Old 08-22-2001, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

A niggling correction to the topic: They do not use a ruby laser. It may be ruby colored (red) but it is a semiconductor laser.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2001, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18

Quote:
Company has signed a Cooperative Development and Licensing Agreement with Warner Advanced Media Operations
Warner has historically been the most aggressive studio in promoting DVD. They were the strongest opponents of the evil DIVX movement.

Its safe to say that Warner Brothers is are "our side".

------------------
Alex

Alex
post #8 of 8 Old 08-23-2001, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I went to their site and found another press release (July) that indicates strong support for their technology from the one of the pioneer manufacturers of DVDs. From the sound of this, I doubt that C3D will ever run out of money. If it came to that, I suspect they'd be gobbled up by AOL Time Warner or some other large entity interested in this demonstrated HD DVD technology.

Quote:"NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 16, 2001-- Constellation 3D, Inc. ("C3D'') (Nasdaq/NMS: CDDD - news), developer of Fluorescent Multilayer Discs (FMD) and Cards (FMC), today announced that the Company has signed a Cooperative Development and Licensing Agreement with Warner Advanced Media Operations (WAMO), a business unit of WEA Manufacturing Inc., a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner, to co-develop, cross license and manufacture high density Fluorescent Multilayer ROM media.

Steve Haddad, Senior Vice President, Business Development and Marketing of Constellation 3D, stated, "This is an extremely significant event in the execution of Constellation's partnership strategy. WAMO is the pioneer of DVD manufacturing and an innovator of manufacturing processes. Having been at the forefront in driving the acceptance and standardization of DVD in the marketplace and having been the first to produce DVD for both US and International markets, the value that WAMO will bring to the Fluorescent Multilayer Disk initiative as an early adopter is unquestionable. As the market leader in ROM Media manufacturing, WAMO's core competencies will be maximized by C3D to every extent possible.''

"This agreement, in conjunction with the work already done in the past and ongoing with Plasmon, well positions the commercialization aspects of Constellation 3D's technology moving forward'' stated Haddad. " Unquote.

As to their stock value, I don't know why it's so low and I don't really care. The point is that the technology seems to really exist and it seems to have potential to become the HD DVD of the future. That's all I'm interested in.

Cheers. Don

Don
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page