Newbie HATERS!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So no one wants to respond to the newbie......deleted by moderator

Im hooking up my computer to my HDTV and was wondering if I could buy a graphics card that would give me resolution above 800x600. I want to use this beautiful TV as my primary monitor(aahhhh...Counter-Strike) but cant stand the low resolution. Any suggestions? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 08-28-2001).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
djnape,

I don't know if calling people deleted by moderator is going to make them more inclined to help you. As far as your question, perhaps no one who knows much about the subject has read your request yet. Have you tried doing a search on the Home Theater Computer forum?

Jim

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #3 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 02:50 PM

All graphics cards these days produce WAY higher than 800x600. I normally use my computer in 1100 something mode. The reality is, does your tv have the inputs for the card or does the card have NTSC outputs.....The NTSC outputs being probably much less than 800x600.(450x?)

Check the card company websites. Size of the screen is unimportant to the card.

[This message has been edited by webmarin (edited 08-28-2001).]

HDTV - Get The Picture!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
HTPC forum is the right place for this question. For gaming, get an nvidia geforce. BUT before you do that, tell us what TV do you have, does it have a vga input, what resolution does it support?

------------------
Alex

Alex
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

djnape -

Most of us deleted by moderator who do that hang out in the HTPC forum. Try there or follow some of the links below. Note you may need an AA 9A60 converter (or equiv) to go to component inputs on your TV. Svideo alone won't get it.

I'm running my Toshiba TN55X81 at 960x544p as I type this.

- Tom

------------------
<FONT size="1">
Getting started with HTPC:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
The Anti-DMCA Website . </FONT s>
<FONT size="2">And Free Dmitri Sklyarov</FONT s>

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, you just posted the question less than two hours ago! You have to be a little more patient. Also, this question belongs in the Home Theater Computers forum.

Having said that, I read your other post and see that you have a Phillips 55" 16:9 TV, right? You say you can't stand the low resolution and no wonder! Since this set cannot accept 800x600 I assume you have connected the s-video-out of your graphics card and that's what you're referring to as "low resolution". Well, if that's the case, you're not watching 800x600 at all! S-video-out is ALWAYS downconverted to 480i no matter what resolution you have your desktop set to. In order to take advantage of the progressive desktop resolution you must use the VGA-out port.

What kind of card do you have now? Most graphic cards DO have resolutions above 800x600. However, HDTV's DO NOT accept standard computer resolutions. You need to get a card that can do CUSTOM resolutions like a Radeon or GeForce. HDTV's will only accept 480i, 480p, and 540p/1080i resolutions at 60Hz ONLY. Any other resolution and the TV will not sync to it.

I suggest you post the question in the HTPC forum. You'll get a lot more replies there.

------------------
Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 08-28-2001).]
post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Another suggestion. "Phillips 55' HDTV Widescreen " is not a good topic header. Try "Hooking up computer to HDTV?".

------------------
Alex

Alex
post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2001, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Posted recently by long time member LeeAnton, I think this will help everyone:

"Here is the problem. Some of oldsters have been answering the same questions over and over. We want to be helpful to newbee's. We want the newbee's to stay with the Forum or else the membership will never grow.
Unfortunately there are those who feel that they should "scold" the newbee for not taking the time to search through past posts to get his/her answer.

Personally I have come to the point that I would rather not post any answer than to "scold" a new member. I will keep an eye on a new post to see if:

a. it is answered
b. the answer is correct

If a day or two goes by and there is no answer than I will maybe take the time to give an answer. I always make it a point to help local newbees as i have made friends from people here at the Forum. many have come to my home to see my theater and I receive at least 2 or 3 e-mails a week with special questions that i always answer.

As far as the Forum being booring? There really isn't too much going on in the HDTV arena of lately. This will change in the next few weeks as the Fall TV season starts up and new shows in HD come on line.

For any "oldsters" reading this post I ask you to be patient with the newbees. And it is always better to say nothing than anything that could be termed derogatory.

Lee"

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2001, 12:04 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11

There is a ton of information available if you do enough searches. But, you also have to wade through a ton of garbage to find the relevant stuff. Also, in the past I frequently got searches denied due to high server load, but this hasn't happened recently.

What this forum really needs is a good FAQ list.

A link to the FAQ could be placed on the new post page, so people would know to check their first.

By the way, I think the newbies are a very GOOD thing. Newbies are a sign of HDTV adoption. As someone who just got into this about 6 months ago, I can tell you that there is a lack of good information for ramping up on HDTV. A good WWW site consolidating the basic information would be a huge help to new people.
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page