Any health concerns with sitting close to large tv? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-02-2001, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Folks:

My elderly mother is hard of hearing and likes the idea of being able to see sub-titles and people's faces on a large, HGTV, widescreen tv, rear-projection . However, bc this is a small room, only about 6 feet would separate the front of the tv from the viewer...are there any health concerns with sitting this close to such a large tv? In the past, they used to talk about electro-magnetic fields re: sitting too close to the large, older analog sets...

Like the older computers, it wasn't good to be sitting close for long periods of time. I know with computers the last number of years, they have improved the screen emissions so that sitting close for long periods is no longer a concern. Does anybody know if this is similar with large tv screens as well?

pls. e-mail me at csmith@cts.com if at all possible...

thanks very much,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-02-2001, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You can always use a front projector for low EMF.

It was the X-rays they used to worry about.

------------------
Ken Elliott

Ken Elliott
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2001, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There are no health concerns at all sitting 6 feet away. Remember the CRT's are buried in the cabinet unlike direct view TV's were the tube is out in front! Even direct view TV's at 6 feet are not of any health concern.

------------------
------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List
post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2001, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be concerned with X-ray exposure, cataracts and eyestrain when spending a lot of time within three feet of a large direct-view CRT set but the CRTs in an RPTV are in the bottom of the cabinet and are relatively small. Like all CRTs they're shielded to make them safe enough for X-ray exposure at greater than 3 feet away. So I think 6 feet away is more than enough distance for X-ray exposure and possible enhancement of cataract development. Eyestrain might remain and issue, though. Note that I am only aware of anecdotal evidence that close viewing of direct-view CRTs may hasten the development of cataracts. I'm unaware of any conclusive study which establishes a link. If anyone knows of one I'd be interested in hearing about it. After all, we all spend a fair amount of time staring at computer monitors at close range these days!

------------------
HiDefDave

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2001, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The old wives tale of sitting too close to your TV set was started in the 1950's (late) by none other than...HOLLYWOOD!

When TV took off, specifically Color TV, People use to set relatively close to their screen. The Hollywood Studios were reeling from a large drop in ticket sales as more and more people stayed home to watch TV as opposed to going to the local movie theater.

The idea behind the campaign was two fold.

1. To scare people into thinking they would glow in the dark.

2. To make them sit back so their large Color TV screen (at the time 21") would look smaller.

So, you are going to ask me how i know this...Right? Well my grandfather used to own a Television manufactyring company called Travelers and also another company called Sonora. If you bought a Color TV from JC Penny in 1961 to 1965, though it said JC Penny on the front...it was built by Sonora.

Anyway, I am visiting my grandparents (in 1959) and of course my grandfater has a brand new 21" Color TV and I am sitting about 3 feet away and my grandmother walks in and says "Lee..you are sitting too close...you could get cancer!"

My grandfather laughed and laughed and told me and my grandmother "What a bunch of horse puckey! That rumor was started by Hollywood to try to fight the TV."

There has never been ANY proof that sitting too close was bad for any part of your body with the exception of your eyes as far as eye strain.

Lee
post #6 of 8 Old 09-03-2001, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Lee,

Why did they start putting copper shrouds around the back of color CRTs in the late '60s (later replaced by lead paint applied directly to the back of the tube) other than to reduce X-ray emissions? I recall seeing notification of X-ray emission rules compliance inside some of those old sets.

------------------
HiDefDave

HiDefDave

WPTV/WFLX West Palm Beach, FL

post #7 of 8 Old 09-03-2001, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

That was the Television industries answer to a non-existant problem.

Copper will NOT stop X-Rays. Only lead will.

You would have to be sitting right next to/literally on top of the TV to have even the slightest effect.

Lee
post #8 of 8 Old 09-04-2001, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The government does set allowable limits for x-ray emissions from CRT's. Especially when color TVs were introduced, this was a concern -- those CRTs have shadow masks (monochrome tubes don't), so voltages were turned up very high to compensate for the reduction in brightness.

As others have said, in a RPTV set the x-ray concern is alot less than direct view. Also, the type of problems that x-ray exposure can cause (cancer, etc.), occur with long-term exposure. The type of thing you need to worry about exposing children to, but not elderly folk.

I remember was I was an undergrad and we needed to move mildly radioactive samples from one enclosure to another, they'd kick all of us younger guys out of the lab and have the 60+ yr. old technician do it -- figuring that if it increases the chances he would get cancer in 40 years, it didn't matter.

------------------
You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.
See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page