Home Theater Cruise Vacation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2001, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
No doubt many of you were recently alerted to this exciting vacation package being offered by our hosts in joint effort with the HT forum. What an exciting concept!

My wife has been after me for several years now to try one of these. She has some friends who take one every year. I have always grimaced at the thought of spending a week of my life on a cruise ship. However, the idea of a specialty cruise with events and parties with many friends all with similar interests along with the planned events of HT speakers, coupled with the traditional cruise ship ports of call, it could be a most enjoyable week.

How many of you would actually consider doing this?

If I were asked whether I would consider doing a cruise before I would have said-Not a chance!. But this idea is most appealing to me. I immediately e-mailed my wife at work with the link and she responded with "when can we start packing" This is her way of saying- I will start to plan this cost into our budget right now. So it looks like this will be on our agenda for Fall 2002.

The organizers are wise in planning a trip such as this now. No doubt, most of us need to plan time-wise, and money-wise well in advance for quality R&R like this will be. It is not cheap! When I used to plan Scuba Diving trips to the islands for my students, I would always plan them a minimum of 9 months in advance and suggest that the people who wanted to go, begin to plan and save each week into a fund so the bite of payment is not so severe. Those who didn't do this were either rich or ended up bagging the idea when the first payment was due.

Please, let's not clutter this thread with pros and cons of cruise ships as everybody has personal experiences good and bad. Rather, let's focus on the positive side of making this an enjoyable and successful event. Let's collect posts here that are from those who want to attend this cruise and offer some suggestions from those with experience to help others make it a successful Home Theater party in the islands. This will be my first cruise but not my first time to these ports of call.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-27-2001, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

bump

------------------
Don Landis
post #3 of 14 Old 08-28-2001, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the fanciest ship afloat. I am thinking about it, will you be speaking Don?

------------------
Rudy
My Home Theater
post #4 of 14 Old 08-28-2001, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Speaking? LOL I hope to. but not formally as a "speaker" I plan to go just for the fun. A better question would be, Do I plan on doing any Scuba diving? I just may do that! Depends on how long the ports of call are scheduled.

Is it bad luck to bring along a DVD of the Titanic?

------------------
Don Landis
post #5 of 14 Old 08-29-2001, 05:24 PM

Don't tempt fate.

Perhaps Speed II. I don't think anyone died in that one.

------------------
Rudy
My Home Theater
post #6 of 14 Old 08-29-2001, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This sounds like something I might actually sign up for.
Hey Don, I lost my scuba diving cert card about 15 years ago. Can you certify me if necessary? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Frank

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-29-2001, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Frank-

Not anymore, I retired in '93. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I carry a PADI Master Instructor Emeritus card now.

If you were once certified, 15 years ago from any of the certification agencies, you can write to them and they will connect you with an instructor in your area who will be able to assist you in getting a card replacement. Or, you can visit a training facility that teaches from the same agency that certified you and initiate the paperwork. You are probably in the database. Might cost you a couple of bucks for the paperwork and the instructor may need an updated physical. PADI has (had) a scuba diver review course that I used to use to verify the person's knowledge and safety for returning to the sport after a period of lapse like yours. I am not familiar with current day specific procedures for doing this.

------------------
Don Landis
post #8 of 14 Old 08-30-2001, 02:10 PM

What about the 2002 HD Fall line-up?http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 08-30-2001, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Man, I would love to go on this. My girlfriend was actually suggesting we go on a cruise. Unfortunately, she's in a dental post-grad program with the air force and can only take leave during the summer and the holidayshttp://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif. Any chance of the 2003 cruise being in summer or christmas time?

Jim

P.S. Married guys: take your wives to this. She gets a good vacation, you get to hand out and talk about HDTV in the tropics. What could be better?

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #10 of 14 Old 08-31-2001, 08:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Great post Don. If you you care to speak, I can arrange it. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I am happy to report that booking is going very well for only being just over a week old. Even had to add some new cabin catagories.

Their is a lot of interest on the HTF as well, as the click thoughs from that site to the cruise page quite impressive. We will also be adding speakers that they arrange, but this will not be until after their LA trip.

So far, this is very well received. I also agree on the timing. I just did not care to hear anyone say..."If I only knew sooner." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/images/ship2.jpg
Here is a shot from our last cruise (April). This is the sister ship Explorer of the Seas. (My Wife Brenda)

------------------
David Bott
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
The Nate Home Theater
Join Us For HT Cruise 2002!

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #11 of 14 Old 08-31-2001, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

David-

We just booked our reservations (online) and would like to request a better explanation on the room categories.
Can you add a brief explanation of the designator to the web page that describes the difference in a DA or DB room. I assume that the letter as it approaches A gets on a higher deck. I will do some additional research on the vessel to see if the explanation is hidden somewhere but it would be easier if that info was included on your web page. The little pictures were great.

------------------
Don Landis
post #12 of 14 Old 08-31-2001, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 43
Sorry, no real better explation than what you came up with. On ships you pay for cabin size and cabin level (deck number if you will.) The higher up, the more it costs for some reason. Other than that, the cabins are the same size for the same type. The DA is on deck 9 and the DB is on deck 6. Most are booking for DA for it is only $10 more at this time.

I have added link to the photos that will bring you to more information on each room type. Some have 360 views of the rooms. Also added a link to the live webcam http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif (Updated each min.)

------------------
David Bott
AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
The Nate Home Theater
Join Us For HT Cruise 2002!

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 08-31-2001).]

David Bott
Founder - AVSForum

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...:)

post #13 of 14 Old 08-31-2001, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Excellent link, David. Gave us the information we were looking for. Thanks.

------------------
Don Landis
post #14 of 14 Old 09-06-2001, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We've registered last week and are excited about planning for this cruise. It seems there are many newcomers to the forum who are signing up.

------------------
Don Landis
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page