time to close this specific forum? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2001, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this forum never really took off because there isn't any chit chat about HDTV... everything we ever talk about is hardware or programming related. lets close this forum down.

------------------
<FONT size="1">ADebar</FONT s>
<FONT size="1">Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTV</FONT s>
<FONT size="1">JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Player</FONT s>
<FONT size="1">Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoder</FONT s>
<FONT size="1">DirecTV HD</FONT s>
<FONT size="1"> My DVDs - DVD Profiler </FONT s>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

:p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-02-2001, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar:
lets close this forum down.

gong

post #3 of 15 Old 10-02-2001, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just My $0.02,
I agree with ADebar, most discussions that take place here can be put into one of the other HD forums.

Steve

Time Warner Cable – Signature Home Premium View w/Epix, Sports Pass, HD Pass, Spanish Tier, Cisco Explorer 8642HDC, Cisco Explorer 8742HDC Both Running ODN 7.2.0_11
DirecTV – Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST Max, NHL CI, MLB EI, Whole House DVR, HR34-700 Running 0807, HR24-200 Running 0802

post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 07:00 AM

Sorry guys but I for one say keep it but also add to the list of acceptable topics "HDTV International" which may make us from places other than North America feel a bit more welcome than we do over on the Hardware section, where if it's not 8-VSB HD related ya don't exist or are treated like a leper with herpes? IMHO

Anyway that's my 2 US cents worth = &gt; 4 Oz cents!

I can already feel Ken H getting ready to "boot me off"?

Cheers from down under,

Kanga

post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kanga:
keep it but also add to the list of acceptable topics "HDTV International"
get a grip kanga. why would we want another forum to get 2 or 3 posts per day?

------------------

Danger! Danger! Danger!

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 10-03-2001).]

post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 08:56 AM

Well that about sums it up doesn't it, the defence rests your honour! (I keep forgetting that Oz HDTV is just a myth according to some on this forum.)

OK we know when we're not wanted. I suppose that when China, Korea & Singapore join the HDTV club that's currently only the US, Japan and Aus. they will be made as welcome as your Aussie allies???

I'm outta here, back into my rabbit hole, bye!

Kanga.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Kanga:
Sorry guys but I for one say keep it but also add to the list of acceptable topics "HDTV International" which may make us from places other than North America feel a bit more welcome than we do over on the Hardware section, where if it's not 8-VSB HD related ya don't exist or are treated like a leper with herpes? IMHO

Anyway that's my 2 US cents worth = &gt; 4 Oz cents!

I can already feel Ken H getting ready to "boot me off"?

Cheers from down under,

Kanga

[/b]
Kanga,

Your fears are unfounded. AVS welcomes discussion and information related to HDTV in other parts of the world, including Australia. This most definitely includes you!

Please don't confusing the treatment that some members with specific financial agendas receive, compared to members with legitimate foreign HDTV issues.

Ken H
AVS HDTV Forum Moderator

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #8 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
financial agendas
please explain.

------------------

Danger! Danger! Danger!

post #9 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 09:17 PM

Hi Ken,

Just popping my head up from the rabbit hole to say thanks for your reply.

I've lurked on this forum for many years and only decided to jump in after the horrible events on 11th September with some words of support to my US friends.

I have promised myself not to get involved with the US modulation debate (a 'dead' issue IMO) and not to mention the "C" word on this forum and I'll stick with that promise come hell or high water.

My suggestion and it's ONLY a suggestion, is that maybe this section of the forum which was quite rightly pointed out as being a little 'quiet' could be expanded to perhaps give a home for news & views from outside North America, as others from Oz including myself feel a little intimidated over at the HD hardware section and we don't want to rock the boat and burn up the bandwidth rightfully used by the US members of the hardware posters?

I can be accused of many things but being "politically correct" ain't one of them! After 29 years in the Oz broadcast TV industry, I thought that I could maybe help contribute to an understanding of what's going on 'down under' HDTV wise and just looking for the right place to do it? (Ya don't have to be crazy to work in Oz broadcast tv but it helps!)

Anyway thanks for your thoughts, as for my 'suggestion' I guess it's up to the other members and moderators to decide if there is anything to be gained by adding "International HD" to this section of the forum, I wont be too put out if it turns out to be a "NO".

It's back down the rabbit hole again, for now.

Cheers,

Kanga

[This message has been edited by Kanga (edited 10-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kanga (edited 10-04-2001).]
post #10 of 15 Old 10-03-2001, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kanga, I for one would like to hear from you.
As far a ADebar is concerned, his avetar explains it all. Just ignore him if you can.

ADebar here you seamed to think this forum was a good idea http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum31/HTML/000003.html

why don't you use is instead of knocking it?

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 10-04-2001).]
post #11 of 15 Old 10-04-2001, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Kanga,

I also appreciate news and views of HDTV developments elsewhere in the world, especially Oz.

Please continue to keep us informed.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP; Boycott JVC
post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-2001, 08:19 PM

Hi Tryg & Larry,

Thanks for the kind words, I'll try and give you guys a "heads up" on any Oz HD developments that come past my eyes from time to time but will definitely stay well out of the modulation debate on this forum!

This coming weekend heralds the first major Hollywood movie to screen in HD on our FTA (Free To Air) OTA digital TV service. "Saving Private Ryan" will run on Network 10 at 1440 x 1080i/50 but the audio will only be in Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2.0 not the full 5.1 so I'm told?

Currently Oz Network 10 run a HD 'demo' loop every day during business hours to allow the few retailers who have HD capable sets show prospective HD early adopters what HDTV really looks like and hopefully get them hooked?

Oz's Nine Network were running "Judging Amy" and "CSI" in 1080i weekly I'm told but I can't confirm this myself as yet?

As for the 50Hz 'flicker' problem, most of our current crop of domestic CRT receivers double scan @ 100Hz so the problem isn't noticeable if you have a recent set.

Things HD wise will really take off here in Oz when we get to January 2003 when all our networks must do a mandatory minimum 20 hours per week of 'native' (non up-converted) HDTV. Some of our networks just like yours are more committed to HDTV than others and until 2003 all networks are experimenting with different modes to see which one best suits their 'business plans'.

Again thanks for the kind words and I do hope this is the right place for those outside North America to post our news & views? As Arnie would probably say "I'll be back!"

Cheers from down under,
Kanga
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2001, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Kanga-

I can't speak for the rest of the USA gang but I enjoy reading about HDTV in other parts of the world. Unfortunately, we don't hear much from any of you. You said it yourself, you just lurk. So you don't have an excuse as you have to post to get some action. As for the individual, Ken was referring to, everything with him always was a chip on the shoulder whining weasel about a modulation format that didn't get selected in the USA. To me, this isn't interesting subject matter but I can't speak for everone, just me. I'd rather hear about what is on your program content on HDTV down under. What are your stations doing to pay for HDTV conversion? Do your stations have a deadline? How about network support etc.? However, if you down under guys just want to resurface a modulation debate, count me out. It is about as boring a subject to us now as discussing the merits of stereo AM stations. The reason why the forum admins had to put a ban on the subject in the hardware section is because the debates just went on and on repeating the same old stuff and were just costing the AVS money unnecessarily. Discuss it here if you want but I'd bet the attitude about modulation systems will not be a good one.

MY vote- Keep the section open. It serves a rare purpose.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
post #14 of 15 Old 10-04-2001, 09:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Things HD wise will really take off here in Oz when we get to January 2003 when all our networks must do a mandatory minimum 20 hours per week of 'native' (non up-converted) HDTV.
That's a cool regulation. Wish we had something like that here. HDTV is still voluntary but DTV is mandatory. However, it appears that the thrust will take hold as a few leaders here are setting the benchmark for broadcast as HDTV and stations and networks are in a rush to beat each other at what they can brag about. Hopefully, these bragging rights will actually materialize into some real HDTV.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01
post #15 of 15 Old 10-05-2001, 08:12 PM

Hi Don,

Thanks for your thoughts and yep I ain't getting into the mod debate, it's a 'dead issue' over there in North America and serves no purpose except in starting pointless 'spats'. You guys however do lead the world in display technology and are miles ahead of Oz and Europe! This is not a 'controversial topic' as a CRT is a CRT, no matter what electronics drive it?

You asked about Oz DTV network conversion costs and implementation so I'll try and give you the quick run down on how, what and when Oz is doing it?

Our ACA (Australian Communications Authority) which is much like your FCC in the States has almost exactly the same plan as you guys have. All Oz networks were given a free 7Mhz loan of RF spectrum till 2008 in capital cities and 2012 in rural areas for use in providing the new digital TV channels which with some minor exceptions are a simulcast of their analog offerings but in 16:9 wideccreen and digital audio.

The free loan channels are adjacent in most cases to the network's analog service and on band 3 VHF in the capital cities but UHF on repeaters and other areas. The networks must relinquish their old analog channels at the end of the simulcast period at which point that returned spectrum will be auctioned off to any new digital tv service 'start-ups' or the dreaded 'datacasters' which are mainly our major Oz newspaper groups looking for a de-facto TV broadcasting licence? (This is all to be reviewed in 2005 they tell us?)

HDTV here is very, very new, the first major shipment of HD boxes only arrived this week and prices in our dollars are still very high. DTV itself has only been going in five of our eight state capital cities for just 10 months. HD is classed by our DTV legislation as being anything at or over 576p. Some networks like yours, are more HD friendly than others, going the full 1080i hog whilst some are only going the 576p route. 720p is yet to be ratified as a Oz HD standard but it will happen shortly and some of the proposed Oz HD boxes will do 720p. HD audio TX is mandated as Dolby Digital (AC-3) this will be either 5.1 or 2.0 depending on how the HD programming is produced.

Most Oz networks have standardised on Sony's HD-Cam format for HD production & TX but the smaller rural broadcasters may opt for DVCAM-100 or JVC's D-9HD which costs a lot less than $ony's HD products. The 2 x Sony HDW-700's that I have access to will take a 1080/60i or 30p program and display it @ 1080/50i or 25p but you have to then re-lay the audio in post as for some reason it wont internally convert the audio components?

I've been out of the broadcast loop for a while with a medical problem, so I'll check out what currently is being locally produced & TX'd in HD and what US shows are screening in Oz in the HD format and get back to you with a separate post.

Cheers again from down under,
Kanga
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page