Need to force WAF into the "Buy" column... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #31 of 48 Old 10-17-2001, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For rear channel surround sound check out the Boston Acoustics dipoles -- they come in white and black, small and large, and are fairly unobtrusive when hung on a wall up near the ceiling (or from the ceiling). And since they fire front and back you get some nice effect in the room. I have these up and they have a reasonable WAF.

Fronts are whatever -- they will likely be noticeable.

I hear you on the washer.... glad you got sorted out.
--R

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 10-17-2001, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Also you could go with in wall speakers. I have these for my front and rear speakers and I love them. Also can be mounted in ceiling. NOTE: only use these if you don't mind having to cut the wall.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #33 of 48 Old 10-18-2001, 04:06 PM

All I did was show her a Widescreen direct view set with hd content on it. The next day we were watching on our living room. :) :D :cool:

Regarding the old TV issue. If you are a little daring, you could remove the back of the TV and temporarely "disconnect" the power lead... "The TV wont come on dear" :D
post #34 of 48 Old 10-20-2001, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tomorrow is the day we're going to the Mitsubishi store and signing up for a WS-55819. The bedroom will have to wait. By then, prices will come down, technology will have improved, and maybe a 32" CRT (or plasma?) will be available.

I have a feeling that when she gets to see the way DVDs and Touched Like an Angel looks, she'll won't have any qualms about the new set. And if we ever get ABC in high def, she can count the hairs on Dennis Frantz's keester during NYPD Blue (I'll avert my eyes, some things should remain SD).

--Roland
post #35 of 48 Old 10-23-2001, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So, we head into the local Mitsubishi Plat+/Diamond store Sunday after raking leaves, I'm all pumped and ready to sign. I take my wife and 4-year old son back to the HD RPTV display area, and one of the 55" Platinums is gone, probably found a new home. No problem, the remaining set is the WS-55819, the one we're looking for. A Sony Progressive 5-disk DVD player (sorry, didn't get the model #) has got Bedazzled playing, and the picture looks like crap. It's the locker room scene, and it doesn't help that Brendan Fraser is looking inside his towel and cursing up a storm!

Luckily, they had Stuart Little, a more appropriate disk, as well as one we're familiar with. I start it up, and again, the picture looks like crap. Either the scaling is for crap, all blocking and chocked full of jaggies, or being a progressive player, this is what we would see all the time from a new DVD player hooked up to the Mits.

The salesman I was talking to earlier in the week isn't there, and the two that were there were either a) trying to fit a 12 ft^3 subwoofer enclosure in a 15 ft^3 trunk, or b) didn't know enough about the TVs to help. Either way, I wasn't about to sign anything, a rare moment in our HDTV adventure where we were both in complete agreement!

So, we're back to square one. Next stop will be to show my wife the Philips 34" and 30" sets over at C.C. If she likes it, we'll have her dad order it for us from the employee store. Or, if I can find a Toshiba 34HF81 on display anywhere, we'll check that out.

--Roland
post #36 of 48 Old 10-28-2001, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My wife and I stopped by the local BB to see the Toshiba 34HF81 they had on display. They had their in-store HD feed going to the set, so she was able to see what a true high-definition picture can look like. She actually liked what she saw, and also agreed that the CRT for the bedroom makes more sense at this time. Plus, one of the local stores will go $2,300 total, tax and delivery included. Since I was thinking about ordering one off the internet for $2,250 delivered, this sounds like the deal.:)

One of the concerns she had with an HDTV for the family room was what we would do about our current RPTV. What do you do with an old rear projection set? I thought you could rip out the electronics and tubes, replacing them with an LCD or DLP projector. But why? Sounds like a thread for the Projector Forum.

So, here's hoping we'll be watching HD football by next Saturday!

--Roland
post #37 of 48 Old 10-30-2001, 12:41 PM

The WAF! What a detriment to progress. I want 16 x 9 HDTV but my wife wants our entertainment center to have sliding (pocket) doors. Both the Panny 34' and Tosh 34" will fit (including a center channel speaker on top of the TV) but the doors would be on conventional hinges and swing open instead of sliding into the cabinet. My wife says "NO WAY", it's not pretty when the doors are open. The EC is 9' wide and 7' tall with book cases and curio cabinet on the sides. I ask her, "What are we doing, watching TV or looking at the furniture?" and I get the glare. All of our furniture is Queen Ann and the audio includes in-wall speakers.

Any help from Linda or Leslie would be appreciated.

Tom Taylor
post #38 of 48 Old 10-30-2001, 04:12 PM

Tom:
Well, what can I say? I do understand her point however. The problem with doors which stand open is the danger of someone or something hitting up against them (I used to have glass doors that had to stay open plus I could never keep the glass free of my husband's dirty fingerprints).

The doors on my Salamander units (black mesh surrounded by walnut veneer) are opened only when turning stuff on/off. Eventually there will be a major upgrade on the remote to make this unnecessary.

Would it be possible to change the hinges on the EC to allow the doors to slide back? Know any handy carpenters? I've seen doors like that on units, but was never really sure they would work indefinitely. I remember some kitchen cabinet doors a friend had that worked like this, or rather should have. Or could the doors be switched out for doors that would fold out of the way.

Help Tom out, you handy guys on this site. There's gotta be a solution that will be acceptable to his wife.
Leslie
post #39 of 48 Old 10-30-2001, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes those pocket doors can be problematic. You certainly do not want the accordion style. Definitely not the way to go. Queen Anne can benefit from a few pieces that complement and add interest. Otherwise, it can be a bit staid. Just my two cents.

I like Leslie's suggestion of advice from the guys on the forum. In fact, one of the forums here is about home integration. You might find some good ideas by asking there. Whatever you do - buy a 16:9 display. Tell your wife that 4:3 is so yesterday. :p The newer widescreen displays don't suffer from such a severe case of the uglies. :eek:

Life's a roller coaster. Wear a seatbelt and don't stand up on the hills...
post #40 of 48 Old 10-31-2001, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Tom,

You should be able to find a pocket door mechanism from most woodworking catalogs. My Father-in-Law has made use of the gear-driven type on several occasions. However, you need the width of the door panel + another 1/2 - 3/4" clearance on each side of the set to make it work. I've also seen where the pocket door was used on top, making it look like the doors open side-to-side, but both doors are connected and swing up-and-back to slide in. Depending on your entertainment center and how handy you are, you might be able to retrofit one of these.
Quote:
Leslie said:
The doors on my Salamander units (black mesh surrounded by walnut veneer) are opened only when turning stuff on/off. Eventually there will be a major upgrade on the remote to make this unnecessary.
Leslie,

I had problems with the remote operation in the family room, even though my Father-in-Law made glass doors for the cabinets. I had to dance around the room trying to find an angle that would work. I finally solved the problem by using a Hot Link, which is nothing more than an IR repeater. The only remote I haven't been able to retire yet is for the Dish D-VHS unit, which is UHF-only.

My fingers are crossed, today is trick-or-treat in our neighborhood. Our treat: the Toshiba is schedued to be delivered sometime today!:D

--Roland
post #41 of 48 Old 10-31-2001, 08:39 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear on my post. The doors on my EC do slide into the cabinet. I would have to mount them on conventional hinges because I need an additional 2-1/2" of space for a 16 x 9 TV. My hobbies include furniture making so I don't need help with that part. I need to convince my wife that this will look acceptable. I thought about cutting the doors in half (vertically, like a bi-fold door) so they would fold upon themselves and the raised panel would show (rather than the flat inner side of the doors).

Thanks for your input.

Tom Taylor
post #42 of 48 Old 10-31-2001, 11:39 AM

Tom,
Sounds like you know what to do. It sounds as if you could make the doors look perfectly acceptable. Perhaps your wife cannot quite see in her mind's eye what the end result would be.

Either sketch it out or try to find a picture of a door that works similarly. As as last resort, you might try replacing the doors with something that would take up less room so you could still get a 16x9 set. I've seen decorative panels in the past that were thinner than a wood door.
Leslie
post #43 of 48 Old 11-01-2001, 09:49 AM

You're probably right. Your idea about a sketch or picture might help. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Tom Taylor
post #44 of 48 Old 11-01-2001, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Tom, I'm in a similar situation as you (except my hobbies unfortunately do not include furniture making).

I also have an EC cabinet with lovely pull-out doors, and want to cram a 16:9 set in there, but I could only fit--at best--the Toshiba 34HF81 if I:

a) remove the doors and sliders entirely (pretty much guaranteed to expose me to The Glare)

b) remove the sliders and reattach the doors with conventional hinges as you suggest (this option may also require some degree of eye protection)

c) keep the current EC intact and settle for a 32" 3:4 HD-capable set with anamorphic squeeze (glare free, cheaper too, but boy do I hate this option)

Any suggestions for this dreaded EC that can only accommodate a 32" wide set with the existing doors, or the Tosh 34" if I remove or remount them?

Losing the EC completely would have been an option in my bachelor days, but the ozone layer seems much thinner in this post-matrimony era.

Thanks for any advice,
Bob
post #45 of 48 Old 11-02-2001, 04:44 PM

Bob,
Would it be possible to fix the doors where they could be removed only when you wanted to watch? A pain in the neck, to be sure, but better than a smaller set.

Or, could you perhaps find a better looking EC -- one that your wife would like better? Granted it the one you've got is new or really loved by your wife, that won't be possible.

I've always seen these fixed ECs as a potential problem. Things change and a fixed size system presents a problem.

Have you checked out European-style hinges? Would they help?
Leslie
post #46 of 48 Old 11-02-2001, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Leslie,

Thanks very much for your comments. Unfortunately replacing the EC is not an option. It's actually very lovely cherry, just small by today's standards. And anything that made opening the doors a pain would definitely be vetoed.

Quote:
Have you checked out European-style hinges? Would they help?
Hmm, don't know what euro hinges are (hey, I write software for a living), but this is the kind of information I was looking for. I've searched for hinges on the internet, but haven't found anything that looks like it would help (i.e., would mount nearly flush inside yet open at something more than 90 degrees.

I'm becoming pretty much resigned to removing the doors and pocket sliders. They could always be reattached if our needs change, and since this is in the media room, hiding the set isn't high on my priority list. Now to convince my better half...

Bob
post #47 of 48 Old 11-05-2001, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bob,
The euro-style hinge folds out from itself, allowing a near-180 degrees of swing. To use them, you drill a large hole in the door panel using a Forstner bit (metric size depends on the hinge). Here's a link that gives you an idea what the hinge can do.

--Roland
post #48 of 48 Old 11-06-2001, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Foxbat, thanks! Those hinges just might work.

Bob
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page