Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 48 Old 09-30-2001, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm ready to buy a 34-36" direct-view HDTV monitor, but there's that pesky WAF to deal with. Our current bedroom TV, a Sony 27", has been working great for the last 10 years. If only it would croak...

So, anybody got any good schemes for killing a TV, without it looking too obvious? I mean, sure, you can spill water in the back, but I'm sure she'd see through that.

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 10-01-2001, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Run some 220v to it. It will do the trick!

------------------
Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #3 of 48 Old 10-01-2001, 07:06 AM

Roland,
You might try this approach. First do a bunch of research about what TV you want to get, & then get a bunch of info on paper, then you need to sell the TV to your wife! I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you educate her on how cool flat screen HDTVs are then she'll probably want one too. Plust haveing the 27" TV as a backup in the Bedroom would be preferable to destroying it! Good Luck!

P.S. this approach has nabbed me two rifles (you can shoot Deer & birds to feed family!) & one nice HDTV in the past year.
post #4 of 48 Old 10-01-2001, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Mike,

You shoot birds with a rifle? What are you hunting, emus?http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Jim

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #5 of 48 Old 10-01-2001, 10:28 AM

Well, I guess I must be lucky - the other one actually suggested getting a big-screen. When we were looking into it, a 36" direct view was ~$1500, then the armoire to put it in (she's picky) was another grand. Equals out... Wish the same could be said for you 34"-36", Roland http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
WILDS - Not Wild, Wilde, Wildes, Welds, Wylds, Wilbs!

WILDS - Not Wild, Wilde, Wildes, Welds, Wylds, Wilbs!
post #6 of 48 Old 10-01-2001, 11:35 AM

My wife and I bought a 65" RPTV almost 2 years ago. It was a perfect fit in the TV room of our old house. It's a bit big for the TV room of our new house. But we have a huge master bedroom...

You guessed it - she wants to get a 42" or 50" plasma for the TV room and move the RPTV to the bedroom!

I'm trying to hold her off until the prices come way down.

------------------
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\
Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\
Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\
Â*Â*/__|____
Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier
"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

Jon Gauthier
"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me
post #7 of 48 Old 10-02-2001, 08:49 AM

Not Emu's, but crows with an air-rifle! I know, they are a migratory bird, & there's a season because Mexico was pissed because we were killing all their biological trash eaters, but......it's just too much of a challange to pass up, & many farmers are more than happy to have a few less seed stealers in their fields. The big rifles are reserved for Deer, coyotes, prairie dogs, coons, fox etc.
post #8 of 48 Old 10-02-2001, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the perfect opportunity Sunday night. I was watching 60 minutes OTA via my Dish 6000 tuned to our local CBS HD channel on a 27" NTSC set and we were getting lots of breakups and noise in the picture. My wife asked me if our TV was going bad! I blew it and told her it was just the growing pains of Digital TV. (Saying to myself, you dumbsh*t!).

As my signature says: "I want my HD Set!" My computer monitor is just too small.

------------------
"I want my HDTV Set!"

You measure your TV in INCHES? How cute! 9.16 Ft Diagonally, Yeah, Baby!
post #9 of 48 Old 10-02-2001, 04:05 PM
PVR

Discretely put a big magnet on top of the TV.

The picture will distort and look terrible.

post #10 of 48 Old 10-03-2001, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So far, a couple of good ideas... I would like to drag her to the local CC to show her the Philips 34PW9817 (well, actually the new Sony 34" XBR2, but this is South Bend, IN, and I doubt we'll ever see one here!) If only the CC sales droids would hook it up to a real HD source, I'm sure we'd be able to swing her towards the dark si-, er, HDTV.

With us just having the Dish demo loop and Leno in HD, not having a High-Def monitor has been acceptable. But, now our CBS affiliate is digital and watching JAG and Everyone Loves Raymond on my 19" Viewsonic, while it works, my wife gives me strange looks when I hook it up to the 6000 to watch HDTV.

I've left the little hints around, the .PDFs for the sets I've looked at, so I know she knows I want to get a set, but it's part of our little game. She puts up with my expensive habits, but she controls the checkbook... Now, if Dish could get ABC-HD in time for NYPD Blue, I'm sure she'd be on board in a flash!

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
post #11 of 48 Old 10-03-2001, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a Toshiba 65" TW65X81, Dish 6000, and Sony 5.1 sound system. I purchased it with some money my Mom gave me so wife couldn't complain too much. She is not much of a TV person. However, she particularly likes to show it off to her friends and family. Watching HD with 5.1 is awesome. (Her friend was over when James Bond was on and I could see the look of amazement in her face.) Watching DVD with 5.1 is still pretty awesome. She likes that, at least in the TV area, we are way ahead of the Joneses. You might try that tactic.

Rick R
post #12 of 48 Old 10-07-2001, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Foxbat, I have no doubt that the ambient light constraints of FPTV and footprint of these RPTVs are the deal breaker for many women. In fact, I'm certain that if plasma could equal the performance of CRTs, for example, and the price were comparable, you'd see them fly out of the stores.

The real estate needed to accomodate these hulking RPTVs is an impediment for a number of people. I've talked with many women who all agree this is an issue. The esthetics of these sets is simply unacceptable for them. "They've spent many thousands decorating their homes. No way are they going to roll that monster into their living rooms!!" (This is a direct quote from a recent conversation.)

As for 34" direct view sets, the price and/or additional requisite furniture purchase is often the roadblock. The entertainment armoires of the past were designed to hold 4:3 sets. Therefore, tossing out an expensive purchase, rendered obsolete by the new 16:9 form factor, is viewed as wasteful to these women or men, as the case may be.

While these may be non-issues for many HDTV enthusiasts, I see them as major hurdles for the average public.

Life's a roller coaster. Wear a seatbelt and don't stand up on the hills...
post #13 of 48 Old 10-07-2001, 11:11 AM

I have to admit that this thread really amused me (I know, it shouldn't have). As a woman with a HAF problem, though, it did. My husband watched, scowling the first 1.5 years, as I researched the subject. I also subjected him to long discourses on the technology issues/problems. In all, I spent 2 years learning about the topic. He pooh-poohed all of it, but because I was planning on spending separate property money, I told him too bad because I was going to put in a good system. [I'm pretty bossy, need I add and had he done the same thing to me, well who knows what would've happened?]. So, I had an advantage in having saved my own funds to pay for the goodies. The old family room Sony is going into the bedroom, while that 20" TV is going into the computer room.

May I humbly suggest, however, a few ideas that might raise the WAF ratings? I agree with Linda in the post above about the placement/furniture problems. You're gonna have to "wire" around this issue by coming up with something she'll find acceptable. I agree that plasma's are going to be the most acceptable choice once/if the price gets to tolerable levels. I think my decorator is gonna die when he sees the ML Cinemas attached to the rear wall, but tough.

In the meantime, talk up the beauty of HDTV (if it's available or coming to your area) and of DVDs. How much clearer and more detailed the pictures are. Don't take her to see a display UNTIL you've verified that it is properly adjusted. That the details on clothing and decor are stunningly vivid. Tell her that in HDTV, she can see which actresses have had so much botox injected that they can't raise their eyebrows. Sorry if this seems NPC, but I've been fascinated by some of the details I've seen (a plastic surgeon friend tells me he forgets all about the plot as he searches for the tell-tale signs of surgery, both good and bad). Tell the wife how nice it is to see a really good movie at home where you are comfortable with no one seated behind you explaining the entire plot OR making so much noise eating that you can't hear any dialogue.

Also, praise the quality of true 5.1 digital sound which most DVD players and digital HDTV provide. This way you can upgrade your sound system to take advantage of the improvements. While watching Crouching Tiger, Flying Dragon last week, I was actually startled to hear a sword flying and landing BEHIND the sofa (I was sitting at the side). My husband didn't even notice, but then I tell him he's going deaf anyway.

Good luck, guys, on getting approval.
Leslie
post #14 of 48 Old 10-07-2001, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, as they say, the point is now moot. Our harvest-gold (most of you know how long ago that was) Maytag washer piddled all over the floor. So, we're off to get a new washer. I mentioned "Well, I guess that means no HDTV" and I got The Glare. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Leslie, I'm trying to do this right. We have the household account as well as separate individual accounts. So far, all of my Home Theater and satellite purchases have come from this account, but it bothers my wife since "I'm using my money to buy things that the family takes advantage of." So, just this once, I'm working on making this a joint decision. The only problem is, she doesn't feel that any entertainment device is worth $2,700 (our price for the Philips 34" direct-view.)

She came upstairs Saturday to see me huddled in front of the Viewsonic, watching the HD feed of the Florida - LSU game on CBS. She knows I've got it bad! Maybe Christmas...

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
post #15 of 48 Old 10-07-2001, 04:11 PM

Foxbat, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Santa gets the message. In the meantime, how about doing those little things that mean a lot. Helping around the house, doing extra little things for her, I don't know about flowers (they'd make me suspicious). Too bad about the washer (I, too, still have a Harvest Gold Maytag, although I had it painted white, and hope it doesn't start piddling on the floor). Just keep the faith, be sweet and agreeable. Blow off The Glare (I get it often and I always tell him that my next husband will be nicer).
Leslie
post #16 of 48 Old 10-07-2001, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Linda, the issues that you raised are exactly why my wife wants a plasma so much. We have just finished a buying spree on modern, minimalist Italian furntiture and my Wife now hates the 36" XBR400 that was our first purchase in our new home (hehe - don't know how I managed that one) as we have this credenza: http://www.cassina.it/csn8_d2.htm
and it's perfect to place a plasma on top. Also a 250lb TV aint gonna work on the glass top. So we are now saving for a 50" plasma and I am following the avs plasma forum everyday.

Incidentally, this reminds me of a thread a few months ago where someone was trying to decide between a 38" RCA CRT HDTV and a 42" panny plasma. I suggested that the esthetics issue may be important in going for a plasma if the performance and price were acceptable. He thought this was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. Who'd ever thought of matching their TV to their decor. I'm glad I was not the only one to think this way as no one else chimed in with a view.

[This message has been edited by divvy (edited 10-07-2001).]
post #17 of 48 Old 10-08-2001, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We did our part to boost the economy and took care of the replacement washer at Sears tonight (last night for their free delivery, 5% off, and 0% financing, what timing!) Soooooo, after we dot the "i"s, I introduce her to the HDTV displays around the corner. At least they have a Dish 6000 feeding them all with the HD Demo Loop, so we have some true HD to watch.

The salesman followed us over to a Hitachi 16:9 RPTV. When the demo loop got around to the picture of moon, it was obvious someone had put the 6000 in to Stretch mode. I asked him about it, he said that HD is sometimes stretched like that, so I grabbed the remote, hit the "*" a couple of times, viola! Nice 16:9 HD feed going to all their sets. *Sigh*

But, even with all that, she did admit that the Wegas and the direct view 16:9 sets had the best pictures. I've shown her the Dish HD demo on the Viewsonic, so she had a reference (albeit a small one) to compare. Unfortunately, they don't carry the 34PW9817, so I couldn't show her my favorite choice. At this rate, Christmas is looking white AND High-Def. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
post #18 of 48 Old 10-08-2001, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

leslie,

Another breath of fresh air! Thanks for chiming in, between you & Linda this place may have a chance of attracting more female members.

Thanks,
Ken H
AVS HDTV Moderator

------------------
"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #19 of 48 Old 10-09-2001, 12:46 PM

I've suggested this before elsewhere and I do so only hypothetically- I never advise one to lie to their significant other (what with KARMA and all).

go into the service mode and tweak your old set a little bit every day. make it pincusion, adjust the vertical, horizontal, screw with the color, etc. after it starts to become really noticable your wife will say, honey take a look at the TV- doesn't it look funny? You can "look into it". after consulting all of your friends on-line you really think the whatsit wossname is fried and your only alternative is to get a new set. It would cost twice as much to fix the old one. Then of course you reset the service menu and donate the old set to a school or charity in your area once your new set is in place.

again this is an intellectual exercise, I in no way endorse actually trying this at home.

good luck.

------------------
zaphod

end of transmission.......

brad

end of transmission.......
post #20 of 48 Old 10-09-2001, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Divvy...Minimilist, Italian in white, no less. Beautiful. Plasma or something similar is the form factor of the future. The built-in craze of 2010 - flat wall panels. Home remodelers will make custom HT contracters very happy.

Foxbat...Leslie is right. It's the little things that count. Make her feel like she's the center of your universe and nothing, not even HDTV, is more important than her. You'll have a new television by Christmas. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Leslie...All I want for Christmas is a Pronto. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

BradZ...You are a dangerous man!

Ken...Thanks. I try not make your job more difficult. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Life's a roller coaster. Wear a seatbelt and don't stand up on the hills...
post #21 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 01:56 PM

True, the big 65" RPTVs are behemoths. But it is worthwhile to take some special steps to integrate these into your home.

See my page link below to see how a 65" RPTV can be built in to look like a big plasma screen.

David

------------------
David

Lange Home Theater

David
Champaign IL
post #22 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
leslie,

Another breath of fresh air! Thanks for chiming in, between you & Linda this place may have a chance of attracting more female members.

Thanks,
Ken H
AVS HDTV Moderator

No doubt Ken! It's very refreshing to get the point of view from Venus (it is, Men are from Mars Women are from Venus right???). Thanks for showing up ladies!!!

post #23 of 48 Old 10-11-2001, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Urrrr, IE 5.5 really sux sometimes... Anyway, as I was typing before Bill Gates bit me, I'm going to try to post a picture or two of the current TV situation here at FoxHaven II (as I like to call home). Here's the TV corner in the master bedroom, the home for the future Philips set:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rolandfox...ges/SonyTV.jpg

The cabinet that the Sony is sitting on was designed and built by my Father-in-Law to be a microwave hutch. Right now, it holds an Echostar model 6000 HDTV receiver with the 8VSB OTA module. (That's the alarm clock next to the 6000.) On top of the Sony is a Pioneer PDV-LC10 portable DVD player that let's us watch movies upstairs. The Sony's front video inputs are connected to a Sony SLV-575UC VCR located behind the cabinet doors.

The top of the cabinet measures 32"W x 18-1/2"D. This is a concern of mine because I don't know where the feet on the Philips 34PW9817 are located. Linda had mentioned earlier that the 16:9 sets cause havoc with previously purchased entertainment centers. To ease my wife's fears that an HDTV would "take over the bedroom", I edited the photo to add a Sony KD34XBR2:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rolandfox...s/SonyHDTV.jpg

I think it fits quite nicely, don't you think? :) Anyway, in closing, I'll add a link showing off my Father-in-Law's talent.

------------------
--Roland W. Fox

--Roland
post #24 of 48 Old 10-13-2001, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've gone back and cleaned up some of the tags, so hopefully this thread looks better with the new software. Anyway, I guess this thread could be closed now. My wife and I had a nice talk last night about HDTV. I explained the current state of HD monitors and sets and how I've been smart :rolleyes: to have waited until now to buy an HD monitor. She is pretty much resigned to us getting an HD set, but wants us to get it for the family room, not the bedroom.

So, I guess everyone was right, we talked, I did some extra things around the house, and of course, she got to make the decision on the washer (Maytag MAV9600EWW) that we bought to replace the piddler. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Now, I just need to find a 16:9 HD RPTV that fits into our entertainment center (opening is 52"W x 54.5"H) So far, I know that the Mitsubishi WS-55xxx fits, as do the Pioneer 55" sets. The Philips 55PP9701 is an inch too wide :mad: and the new Sony 57" XBR2 is even bigger.

I think the Mitsu WS-55869 is the ticket since it has an IEEE 1394/HAVi connector. And doesn't Mitsubishi have a 0 down, 0% financing, and nothing to pay for 6 months? (Here, do us a favor, take this HDTV, it just takes up too much room... :D )

--Roland
post #25 of 48 Old 10-14-2001, 10:54 PM

My sequence of events to getting a new HDTV (true story)...

1) Talk for several months about how really nice an HDTV picture is. :o

2) Make frequent trips to Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Lovingly linger in front of desired set, wondering why picture looks so bad. Ignore clueless salesperson who insists that the standard def picture you are seeing HAS to be HDTV because it's an HDTV set. :rolleyes:

3) Bring partner to local appliance superstore because they are showing local CBS HD. Ask salesperson to move their one STB over to the set you are interested in. Allow partner to linger in front of "Touched By an Angel" after returning from the furniture section. ;)

4) Receive sad news that mom's 19" Sony has been fried in a recent electrical storm. :( (I had nothing to do with it, I swear!).

5) Suggest donating old 31" to mom, who for some strange reason seems to be already excited about the possibility of having a larger set. :)

6) Check available credit line. :eek:

7) HDTV arrives the following week! :D

8) End of story.

May all your HDTV dreams come true!

Now, please excuse me. I have to get crackin on the new 5.1 receiver and the progressive scan DVD player and the new speakers and...

JoeyB
post #26 of 48 Old 10-15-2001, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Show her a Chick Flick like Chocolat on the big screen. This will set the hook!

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #27 of 48 Old 10-15-2001, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, our local Mitsubishi Platinum/P+/Diamond dealer says he has the WS-55817 for $2,995 delivered, installed, and converged. That's only $300 more than the Philips 34" direct view I was thinking about. Plus, there's the 0%, 0 down, 12 months no payment promotion. Of course, there's no IEEE1394 or ATSC tuner, but it can be added at some future time.

I'm off the search the forum to see if this is a good price or if I should march in there and wave cash around, explaining the depressed state of the economy...

--Roland
post #28 of 48 Old 10-16-2001, 11:54 AM

You should have fixed the washer yourself, avocado or not (coupla $1.99 cans of white spray paint can fix that). Washing machines are easy, esp leaks -- just takes some time and lots of groaning and Vile Oaths. That would have earned you major points, and saved having to buy another one. I kept my $30 washer going for ten years, fixing this and that minor part every couple of years, til it croaked at some inopportune moment then we needed a new one rapidly and I didn't have time to deal with it. W:"why don't we just buy another one?" You:"A new one is $400, this part was $6.95 and an hour to replace it." Major MAJOR points that can be applied to later wants.

Second: Say, hey, maybe we should go look at new washers, even though I think I got it fixed. And then while you are at Sears or wherever, kinda drift over to the TVs.....well, maybe I could keep the washer going....

But I guess it is too late for the first part, and the second you are working on.

My wife actually suggested last year we get a new TV to replace the 19" that "looks so small in the new house." I said, well, TVs are changing, this one is 19 years old, the next one will probably last that long, here is the deal...looked at HDTVs and picked one out. Then I had to do some semi-major carpentry on the new house to get it to fit but that was another story...but she likes the surround sound.

I think we're ALL Bozos on this bus!
post #29 of 48 Old 10-16-2001, 03:17 PM

I guess I had it easy.

I asked the WAF about doing a complete remodeling of the family room and she loved the idea!

I got to strip the room down, install all the cabling, etc. When the room was done she was real happy...well a little upset when my HT Electronics accounted for 75% of the remodeling costs :D

She uses it more than I do.

George
post #30 of 48 Old 10-16-2001, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

RTChoke, I had thought about repairing the washer, having fixed a couple just like it back in the 80's (in fact, my step-mother has the exact washer and dryer pair we had, in the afore-mentioned avocado.) The only problem I saw was no visible source for the leak, which pointed to a problem with the tub. And I was able to swing her by the HD sets at Sears (see 12 posts above) so she did see a 46(?)" Mitsubishi set.

I'm sure we all have remodeling horror stories. In retrospect, it would have been easier if we had replaced all the drywall instead of trying to remove the whole-wall mural., but a couple days worth of skim-coating and sanding, and viola! A new home for the home theater.

One of her requirements was no ugly surround speakers. I was looking at the ArtGekko speakers, but after six months of waiting for the ones I ordered, we went to plan "B". My Father-in-Law made a pair of shelves with a base profile that matches a clock one of our friends made. He then made boxes that house my old ADS 300 speakers that I use for the rear channels. The result met with my wife's approval and looks really sharp.

--Roland
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page