Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3461 Old 11-16-2005, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane99 View Post

We can't blame Cox for not carrying FOX HD when the local affiliate doesn't broadcast in HD yet. But with ABC, I agree, I don't understand the delay in adding their HD to the lineup when they have been broadcasting in HD since the end of August.

It seems obvious that the three month delay in adding WCJB-DT to the Cox HD lineup has to do with compensation. Broadcasters increasingly want to be compensated for providing their signal to cable companies. Cable companies want to contain costs and are generally reluctant to pay local broadcasters for retransmission of their signal. Unfortunately, there are not enough HD televison households in Gainesville to make a difference to WCJB as to whether their digital feed is currently on the Cox lineup. Only when both parties feel it is in their best interest to resolve this issue will WCJB-DT show up in the digital hd tier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3461 Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkinator2tuf View Post

My friend only gets the basic cable (he has DirectTV for most channels, but his QAM tuner in his Sony A20 gets the PBS and NBC HD feeds from Cox, but no CBS HD feed. It does get a UPN digital channel through the Cox feed that Cox does not even send to the regular cable subscribers digitally, but its still 480i. Cox must have the CBS HD feed scrambled. Anyone else try to use the TVs built in QAM tuner with regular basic cable and get different results?

I get regular cable (analog, 2-70whatever) and hooked it up to my new Toshiba 57H94 which has a built in QAM tuner. I can't get any of the digital channels except for the UPN one (28-2 I think). I assume the signal into my house isn't clean enough or some such junk.

I use the Silver Sensor and an external tuner and get the ABC, CBS, PBS, and UPN feeds, so I haven't complained to Cox yet

Update: Okay, I lied. I did more searching on my QAM tuner and found the NBC feed at 81-1 and the PBS feed at 81-2. I assumed I should have been trying to tune to 2-1 and 36-2 respectively. Does anyone know where Cox keeps the CBS feed? I couldn't find that one, and I assume I should have been able to pick that up and nothing else?
post #273 of 3461 Old 11-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny_Highway View Post

As far as FOX, the closest broadcasting in HD is WOGX in Ocala. They're only broadcasting their DT at 500kW, so I dont know that an indoor will do the trick for you in Gainesville. Any of you Gainesvillians have any experience picking up WOGX?

I can lock it in with the Silver Sensor just fine, but there's no sound through any of multiple outputs I've tried.

Edited to add, I live in NW Gainesville, basically at NW 39th Ave and NW 34th Street

--
Daniel
post #274 of 3461 Old 11-17-2005, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

Does anyone know where Cox keeps the CBS feed? I couldn't find that one, and I assume I should have been able to pick that up and nothing else?

Try 100.1 or 100.3 for the Cox WGFL HD feed. That's was the location for WGFL about three months ago. I no longer use my QAM tuner, due to my upgrading to Cox Digital Cable.
post #275 of 3461 Old 11-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvgator View Post

Try 100.1 or 100.3 for the Cox WGFL HD feed. That's was the location for WGFL about three months ago. I no longer use my QAM tuner, due to my upgrading to Cox Digital Cable.

No luck for me, but in retrospect I don't mind. The only non-scrambled HD channel I needed to pick up from Cox was NBC, which I found, so I'm set. Now if only FOX 51 would start broadcasting HD and some freakin sound...
post #276 of 3461 Old 11-18-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

No luck for me, but in retrospect I don't mind. The only non-scrambled HD channel I needed to pick up from Cox was NBC, which I found, so I'm set. Now if only FOX 51 would start broadcasting HD and some freakin sound...

As a last resort, you might want to rescan for cable channels on your QAM tuner. If your tuner has the option of digital channel preference be sure to select that option before starting the scan. My original scan did not pick up WESH (which I thought was unavailable.) A subsequent scan a week later located the channel.

Upon completing the scan, there are numerous channels (and many subchannels) listed. You need to manually scan through each of those channels and subchannels to find any digital programming that is in the clear. In the complete scan I found WGFL-DT, WESH-DT, WUFT-DT and NBA Tv.

As to your issue with WOGX-DT, I normally have problems in locking in the signal (due to their low power and multipath considerations.) However, the last couple of nights the signal has been somewhat viewable, with full audio present.

WOGX-DT does have an audio issue. Their surround sound audio is set up improperly. Their engineers have the primary audio directed to the rear speakers, and the secondary audio set up to the front and center channel speakers (which is very annoying.) If you have the ability to switch between mono and stereo, or different sound fields if you are using a receiver, this work around might make a difference in your audio reception for FOX.
post #277 of 3461 Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 PM

Does anyone else notice any "motion jerkiness" - for lack of a better term - when watching some HD content on WCJB? I notice it quite a bit during shows like LOST and Desperate Housewives, but don't recall seeing it during Monday Night Football. It's sort of a stuttering during sequences where there's a lot of camera panning and/or motion.

I have the DirecTV HR10-250, and am wondering if it might be a problem with the ATSC tuner. The thing is, I never notice the effect on PBS or CBS shows, so I'm thinking it's more of an ABC broadcast problem either with the HD feed WCJB is passing along, or a problem just with WCJB.

Has anyone else seen what I'm talking about? Thanks.
post #278 of 3461 Old 11-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Might be something to do with the resolution settings.

PBS and CBS are both 1080i, while ABC is 720p.

I have the Directv H10 and Samsung TS360 and have no problem with WCJB on either one.
post #279 of 3461 Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 AM

The engineer at wcjb forgot to flip the switch for the hd feed for the games that are on today. I have been calling and emailing wcjb for the last 20 minutes and can get no response. Any suggestions?
post #280 of 3461 Old 12-04-2005, 05:06 PM

Anyone hear any more info on TNT and Unviersal HD?

I've been checking Cox's website and still no info.
post #281 of 3461 Old 12-05-2005, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane99 View Post

Anyone hear any more info on TNT and Unviersal HD? I've been checking Cox's website and still no info.

Yeah, both are apparently still on for December 20th launch. The most recent billing statement had it printed prominently on the envelope.
post #282 of 3461 Old 12-06-2005, 12:02 PM

For those of you who have contacted Cox via email and gotten a response, what address did you use for them?

Has anyone heard anything about Cox ever offering HDNET or splitting the hbo/showtime so we get east/west for both like Time Warner does?
post #283 of 3461 Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM

We now just need COX to add WCJB to the lineup, hopefully before the Super Bowl. I've tried to get it with an antenna but I drop the signal too much. If anyone else lives in Haile and uses an OTA please let me know which one you use as I have tried two and they both were horrible.
post #284 of 3461 Old 12-13-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvgator View Post

WOGX-DT does have an audio issue. Their surround sound audio is set up improperly. Their engineers have the primary audio directed to the rear speakers, and the secondary audio set up to the front and center channel speakers (which is very annoying.)

This actually sounds like an audio phase issue where the left channel is 180 degrees out of phase with the right channel. This would cause audio to come out of the rear speakers on a surround system and practically no audio on a mono system.
post #285 of 3461 Old 12-18-2005, 01:48 PM

I have the westinghouse ltv32-w1 tv with dvi-hdcp input, 2 component inputs, 1 vga input, among other things.

It looks like Cox is going to be the thing to get as I don't want to be bothered with antennas at this phase. Any new cox updates on HD channel offerings?

I currently live in an apartment complex that offers regular cox cable + showtime/hbo for free. We were also given a special deal when we got our cable modem through cox. As such, if I order digital cable with HD service from them, shouldn't I continue to get showtime/hbo free, and does the fact that they are being paid for regular cable already give me some sort of discount on going up to digital cable or do i have to pay for it completely? I realize I should call cox, but I'm curious on any insight you guys can offer before I do.

The Tv I has displays 720p and 1080i, but 720p is supposed to look the best with the native resolution of this LCD tv. Do we get any choices when picking out a HD dvr box? Any recommendations? Would you suggest me using the DVI or the component for the signal? What sort of difference will I see? Sorry for the n00b questions. Thanks.
post #286 of 3461 Old 12-19-2005, 01:01 AM

Cox will give you a discount because of the apartment. You can see the channel offerings from Cox's website. They're adding two new HD channels tomorrow.

You'll want to use 720p. If you have a rear projection TV, it can't actually do 1080i. It's either 720p or 1080p.

My suggestion is to ask for an HD DVR. With the apartment discount and the savings when bundled with the cable modem, it really isn't very expensive. I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD DVR through Cox and it's worth every penny. Sure, there are a few annoying quirks with the box, but it changes the way you watch tv. You'll never have to watch commercials again and you don't have to worry about forgetting about a show. Plus, if there's something on at 3am you want to see, you don't have to stay up for it. Highly recommended.

As for the hookups.. it all depends on your TV and cables. A high quality component cable will probably look better than a cheap DVI. Check to see if you have DVI or HDMI. The latest boxes from Cox are HDMI capable. I'm using AudioQuest/VideoQuest cables. I have component video from the HD DVR to my receiver and another cable to my TV. My upscaling dvd player is connected via HDMI to give native 720p.
post #287 of 3461 Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 AM

My tv doesn't have hdmi, only dvi w/hdcp. I have been told that I will need a hdmi to dvi-d cable AND (this is what is confusing me) an audio receiver if I want audio (by someone on this board, I have yet to speak with Cox). I have two red/white audio inputs under my dvi-d input so I thought that'd work. Maybe those two inputs aren't hdcp? They are right under the dvi though (They definitely go with it). I really have no idea heh.
post #288 of 3461 Old 12-19-2005, 12:27 PM

One of the advantages of HDMI over DVI is that it not only carries a digital picture, but also digital audio over a single cable. The other poster (I'd have to see the post) was probably trying to tell you that if you used an HDMI to DVI cable, you would get the video, but not the audio signal. You'll need a separate audio cable for that.

Do you have just the TV, or will you have a surround sound system? To get the Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDTV, you'll need something capable of decoding that signal. I use digital coaxial cables (audioquest) for my audio to an AV receiver. You'll have to double check this because I'm not positive, but I am under the impression that in order to get Dolby Digital, you need to use either a Toslink (optical) or Coaxial digital cable. Both are digital signals directly from the source to the decoder.

Whatever you decide, remember the phrase garbage in, garbage out. Don't invest in expensive equipment without using decent cables. They don't have to be super expensive, but you do want quality. Other forums are probably better suited to helping you select what you need.
post #289 of 3461 Old 12-19-2005, 01:08 PM

I got it worked out I think. I will know for sure when I get my hd dvr on the 9th =p
post #290 of 3461 Old 12-22-2005, 06:44 AM

Hello all.

I live in Ocala near the silver springs park (east side close to SR 40) and just bought an HDTV that has a QAM receiver. I switched from DTV and cox basic cable to dish and dropped my Cox basic cable when I made the switch. Dish local channels look horrible playing any content with action, such as football. I suspect they are over compressing them, DTV local channels looked much better.

I want to try and get any HD local channels, especially ABC (for a superbowl party). I scanned my basic cable connection and did not seem to find any HD content. I believe they use an analog filter to block all channels above 25, so that might explain it. I have been told by forum members that cable companies must not scramble digital local channels and must allow you to receive them with your own qam rcvr if you pay for basic cable. Is anybody out there using cox basic only service able to get digital content using their TV's qam rcvr?

I am committed to dish for a while and do not want to pay cox for more than basic service. I would happily try antennas but would really prefer to avoid an outdoor antenna since I already have 2 dishes out there. I checked on antennaweb and it looks like abc (WCJB-DT) is 31.1 miles away. Any one have antenna/amp suggestions for this? Am I wasting time and money trying an attic setup for this range?

Is there any HD content on WCJB-DT?

Any other Ocala readers on this forum? I have not seen an Ocala specific one, and would appreciate a link if you know of one.

Thanks all.
post #291 of 3461 Old 12-28-2005, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg.fla View Post

Is there any HD content on WCJB-DT?

Any other Ocala readers on this forum?

I just talked to WCJB engineer and he said:
1) they rebroadcast all ABC HD they get.
2) They tested reception in Ocala with an indoor antenna, probably at their downtown site, and it worked.
3) eng did not think COX would carry WCJB HD in time for the superbowl.

Any suggestions for attic antennas? Hopeless at 31.1 miles?

antennaweb shows me a color wheel type indicator I should see on the box for the "medium directional antenna with pre-amp" they recommend but I can't seem to find anyone on the web using that designation. Guess I will just have to go look at some boxes to see an example of what I am looking for.

Any Ocala folks on this forum?
Is there a better source for Ocala residents?
post #292 of 3461 Old 12-30-2005, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can I pick up any HD stations over the air in Gainesville? Sorry if this has been covered, but I don't have time to look through the whole thread. I have a Toshiba 46H84 but don't have an HD receiver b/c I currently live in a smalltown and can't pick up anything in HD even if I had one. I might be moving to Gainesville next year though and am wondering if I'll want an HD receiver.
post #293 of 3461 Old 12-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david118383 View Post

Can I pick up any HD stations over the air in Gainesville? Sorry if this has been covered, but I don't have time to look through the whole thread. I have a Toshiba 46H84 but don't have an HD receiver b/c I currently live in a smalltown and can't pick up anything in HD even if I had one. I might be moving to Gainesville next year though and am wondering if I'll want an HD receiver.

Sure, if you live in town, there are three channels in gainesville broadcasting in HD. WUFT, the PBS in Gainesville broadcasts in HD and at full power. WCJB, the ABC in Gainesville started broadcasting in HD in August and has a full tower, running at 1/3 power (I can get that station with an indoor antenna 40 miles away). WGFL, the Gainesville CBS station is broadcasting in HD, but at a small tower and running on low power, if you live in alachua county, or in south parts of union or columbia county, you will probably get the station, but no where else.

WOGX, the FOX station in Ocala, is broadcasting digitally, but not in HD, they are a bunch of bastards!
post #294 of 3461 Old 12-30-2005, 07:42 PM

I joined the gainesville hdtv crowd today!, picked up my vizio l32 from sams, my hdmi cable from radio shack, and my hd box from cox. I hooked everything up last week and not much of nothing occured. called cox and they sent a tech over today who went into the attic and boosted the s/n from around 15 to 25 and woo hoo, I am part of the hdtv crowd.
john s
rainbow subdivision
post #295 of 3461 Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks Like I'll be joining the crowed. Moving to Gainesville in a few days to start on my Masters Degree. I'll be living on the Southeast side of the UF campus on NW 16th. In tow will be a pair of Silver Sensors, a 10db amp, and a MyHD tuner card feeding my projector.

Wish me good reception....I read that Fox is not in HD over there, and as a 24 fan I am simply mad as hell right now.

So I'll be on the 3rd story, with a north facing balcony if needed---what sort of signal should I expect?

Going to BB means rubbing elbows w/ the Unwashed Masses

No thanks

Netflix for me!
post #296 of 3461 Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Welcome to Gainesville,

If you are on the SE side of campus, you are probably on SW 16th ave.

You should be able to get the PBS and ABC in HD over the air.

If you get Cox basic service (may still be active in your apartment when you move in) you can get the NBC and CBS feeds if your HD tuner card has a QAM tuner, otherwise you would need to get the whole digital package to get NBC HD. You may be able to get CBS HD over the air, but we can't near the intersection of NW 13th st and 39th ave.
post #297 of 3461 Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank you,

Yes it's SW 16th, sorry---Still not accustom to the naming system.

I guess I'm going to miss my Tampa DMA more than I thought. The apartment complex has it's own private cable system, so I'm not even sure I will be able to get COX

Maybe I'll try and bring up my 7 foot UHF antenna

No thanks

Netflix for me!
post #298 of 3461 Old 12-31-2005, 09:24 AM

If it has its own cable system, it probably is COX. Thats how alot of the apts work, they bundle some apt package together so the tenants get it at a reduced rate or included in the rent. If that is the case, maybe the digital package with HD won't be too expensive an upgrade. If so, they just added Universal HD and TNT HD to the package. Here is the complete listing.

Cox HD channels

You would still need to get ABC over the air, and we are all still out of luck with FOX.
post #299 of 3461 Old 12-31-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I have heard, actually, it is a pure private cable system---basically a whole stack of DirecTV boxes and modulators.

We'll see next week...

Also quick question: What boxes does Cox HD Use?

No thanks

Netflix for me!
post #300 of 3461 Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM

I see. Well, if its Direct TV maybe you can get their HD package, but then you will be totally OTA for the networks.

COX uses the SA8300HD if you get the HD DVR. I think its the SA3250HD if you don't get the DVR, but I'm not sure about that one.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page