Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3481 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know the optimal antenna direction in Gainesville (city) to get the most channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedWheels View Post

Does anyone know the optimal antenna direction in Gainesville (city) to get the most channels?

That would depend on your exact location and the specific antenna you are using.

Post a link to your TVFool plot and identify the antenna and someone will jump in with assistance.
post #3483 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Hmm, well silly me figured since all broadcast antennas never move position and there are only 10 local stations, there has to be an optimal middle point for a fixed position for all of gainesville.

But fox 51 is always my major problem indoors and I am sure I am missing out on some others.

We are woefully still undeserved here in g'ville.

Hmm looking at this maybe point it right at fox to the south and hope to pickup the stronger signals behind it in like an upside down Y

I had not even considered WESH which was impossible with an indoor antenna but do you think an ANT751 might pick it up?

I am in an apartment so that is the biggest antenna I could convince my landlord to let me attach outside via the J mount.

Oh shoot there is a massive two story building right in front of my southern view. No wonder fox is hard and wesh is impossible.
post #3484 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

As you can see, you're in the middle of the equivalent of a circular firing squad. There is no optimal aiming direction for you except finding it by trial and error with whatever antenna you choose.

That building will likely kill reception to the south. WESH's Ocala translator puts almost no power its north, so you'll likely never see it unless you get a combination of a perfect location and the right antenna.

WNBW's flea-powered transmitter and directional transmitting antenna puts a minimal power level into Gainesville making indoor antennas unlikely to pick it up. Simply not enough power to both penetrate structures reliably and to overcome indoor background noise levels.
post #3485 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

WNBW's flea-powered transmitter and directional antenna puts a minimal power level into Gainesville making indoor antennas unlikely to pick it up. Simply not enough power to both penetrate structures reliably and to overcome indoor background noise levels.

Believe it or not, this external OTA receiver I got from the government coupon can get WNBW with just a FM reception wire running out my door with a small old amp. It is the channel master one with s-video out and I believe it was famous for having a really good receiver.

My new hdtv however cannot get WNBW with the same antenna setup. Or fox. Which I could mostly get until recently with the channel master at 30% signal.

Well I ordered an ANT751. I figure it is my only good shot for now.

Some stations like PBS and ABC are super strong signal and the antenna could even point away from them at a bad angle and I'd still get them.

So I guess I will try to optimize it for fox and if I will the lottery it might get wesh. Otherwise wnbw.
post #3486 of 3491 Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like you've got a good understanding of your location's difficulties. Good luck with the 751.
post #3487 of 3491 Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 AM

Well the ANT751 is impressive. Even indoors just sitting on top of a closet door it picks up every signal without an amp except that darn WNBW

I even get WRUF which I think is very low power. Fox comes in without a hickup. No WESH even hanging out my door but that was a pipedream.

Is WNBW vhf or uhf? Looks like it is around 263-268 degrees, have find my compass.
Ah now I remember it is vhf, low power, and very directional.

The only way I got WNBW before was hanging a FM reception wire out my door under the overhang and fiddling with it attached to the VHF side of an old 10db amp

Even then I barely got it and it would break up.

The ANT751 may be overkill and too big. I may try some like one of the RCA flat antennas and mount it to the underside of the overhang.
post #3488 of 3491 Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

WNBW operates on VHF channel 9. See the column labeled "Real" on your TVFR.
post #3489 of 3491 Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 AM

I gave up trying to get WNBW via the ANT751 and went back to my rigged 300ohm splitter-combiner with an external FM wire.

For the first time in years I finally have all twelve Gainesville channels.

And that's with the ANT751 inside (too lazy to do the outside mount and I tried it outside temporarily and it did not get any extra channels).

Only WRUF is missing and I got it last night so maybe they aren't broadcasting right now since it is a student practice channel.

But it also might be because the ANT751 is now going through the UHF only part of the combiner and last night it was non-filtered.

I need to find the posts that tell you how to combine two antennas.

When I attach the FM wire directly to the ANT751 posts, it kills the signal on some channels, so I guess it will always need some filter.

Is there any cheap solution to make the wire filtered for VHF only and not pass UHF and make the ANT751 do the full spectrum?

The only VHF channels in town are WNBW and WRUF right ?

Oh wait, WTF is this - WRUF is now only weather?
Quote:
The station was relaunched as a commercially-based 24-hour weather channel on June 1, 2011; this came after state funding to Florida's public radio and television stations was vetoed by Governor Rick Scott in May

Nevermind then, I don't need 24 hour weather. I liked the university channel as it had alternative PBS programming.
post #3490 of 3491 Old 10-20-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Combine the VHF antenna properly with the UHF antenna using a UVSJ. It prevents each antenna's signals from interfering with the other's,
post #3491 of 3491 Old 06-26-2014, 04:01 PM

To Snarler: I just found that CW via QAM coxcable tends to be a weak signal that cannot always be detected by our hdtv channel search scans; 2 out of 4 of my HDTVs were unable to find CW 5.1 since they were connected to the wall via older RG-59 cables. I replaced them with better RG-6 cables (from ebay) which were the same type of cables already used on my main HDTV in the living room. (Cox cable provided the RG-6 cable the first time).
So this did the trick allowing all my HDTVs to find and scan for CW QAM channel 5.1. Try the better RG-6 cable from the wall to your Hdtv and make sure it's directly connected without interference from splitters, etc .

Last edited by pinbwiz; 06-26-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception