Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3461 Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got one of the Sony HD DVR's that Tweeters (Sound Advice) is closing out at $249. After doing a channel scan, I now get WCJB in HD on channel 0, yes, that's zero! So now ABC(0), CBS(100.1), NBC(722), PBS(720), and UPN(28.2) are all available on cable (clear QAM) here in Gainesville!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3461 Old 02-18-2006, 07:51 PM

Has WCJB always been on Cox QAM? I hate to admit it but I didn't know my TV had a QAM tuner and when I did find out that I had one I didn't know how to use it. I ran a test today and found WCJB on 101-102. I also have NBC, CBS, PBS and UPN...are there any others that I am missing?
post #363 of 3461 Old 02-18-2006, 08:39 PM

WCJB was not always on Cox QAM. At least we did not find it when we ran a scan back in October. Although, we didn't find CBS either, but learned from this thread it was on 100.1, so it could have been there. The post above yours shows it on channel zero, hadn't seen that before either. Looks like COX will soon add ABC to their advertised lineup.
post #364 of 3461 Old 02-19-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm sorry to be clueless on the issue... but what is a QAM?

I have the Cox HD DVR box. Is it possible to tune channel 0 to get ABC in HD now? When I enter 0 it defaults to channel 1.

Any word on how long before they add it in the 700's like the others?

Thanks.
post #365 of 3461 Old 02-19-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathank View Post

I'm sorry to be clueless on the issue... but what is a QAM?

I have the Cox HD DVR box. Is it possible to tune channel 0 to get ABC in HD now? When I enter 0 it defaults to channel 1.

Any word on how long before they add it in the 700's like the others?

Thanks.

Is Cox offering WCJB -DT (in HD) if you have the HD box??? I thought they were still stuck negotiating a deal for this channel?

QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. It is the digital TV transmission format used for all over the air digital TV signals in the US. You MUST have a TV or other piece of equipment that has a QAM receiver to get digital channels from an antenna (over the air - OTA). You do not "need" a QAM receiver to tune normal (non-digital) cable channels on a basic cable connection without a cable box. You do not need a QAM receiver to get analog or digital channels if you have a satellite or cable box. IF the cable company chooses to put non-encrypted digital (usually HD) channels on their cable, you can receive them WITHOUT a cable box if you connect the cable directly to your QAM receiver equipment. If you have the cable box, there is probably no reason to bypass the box.

There is a lot of forum traffic stating that the FCC REQUIRES cable companies to put non-encrypted digital versions of all "local channels" they carry in their "basic tier" if that station is currently broadcasting a digital signal over the air. This means that basic cable subscribers with HD sets and QAM receivers do not need a cable box to get these channels. This is part of the mandatory switchover from analog to digital television. The FCC rules do NOT, supposedly, require the cable companies to tell you about this feature. Please note, the supposed rule ONLY applies to major networks and channels you might get with an antenna, not HBO (etc.) or the superstations.

Why does this matter?

Well, I am "stuck" with dish for two years and they seem to be in a protracted legal battle to get rights to provide HD versions of the major networks. Even if they got the rights tomorrow, they have bandwidth issues that will slow HD "local channels" to us small market folks. I can only get ABC OTA in HD using an antenna in NE Ocala. I can get a digital fox channel sometines but they do not broadcast in HD. I am happy with the HD content on dish EXCEPT for the major networks. If COX in Ocala were doing the same as ttlvdo says they do in Gainesville I could get the local channels in HD for only $13 more per month. My Dish HD-DVR would (probably) even let me record them and show me them in the channel guide like it does now for ABC (WCJB 20.1) coming in from the antenna I added.

Another Ocala Cox customer (Telgar) tried a cable scan without finding any channels. I was ready to write off the whole story as an urban legend. Now I feel it is my duty as a techno-junkie to get to the bottom of the story for those other of us satalite customers struggling to get MORE POWER (errr.. more HD).

I suspect normal basic cable customer have a low pass filter blocking the HD channels up at 100+. The quest for the truth continues. The other forum folks spreading the legend have discussed all kinds of FUD from the cable company aimed to make you believe you MUST get the box and all the other $$$ crud I do not need to get these HD channels. No normal salesperson at Cox will know anything about this. A quest truely worthy of urban legend status awaits. A quest almost as legendary as getting a waiver for all the HD channels from dish.
post #366 of 3461 Old 02-19-2006, 03:22 PM

So if I plug the cable directly into my TV (which has an HD tuner), I should get ABC in HD on channel 0?

Hm...
post #367 of 3461 Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM

It is worth a try. If tuning straight to 0 does not work, try telling your rcvr to scan for channels. It often takes a while. You might be able to speed it up if you can choose the option to only scan for digital channels. Some receivers map channels differently so it might not show up on 0.
Are youi in Gainseville?
Please post your results.
post #368 of 3461 Old 02-20-2006, 06:25 AM

Has anyone in Gainesville been successful in picking up OTA digital signals from Jax? I'd really like to try and pull NBC from jax with a large antenna. I've seen some that claim a VHF range of 100+ miles, but I'd like to hear any real-world experiences from someone that has a large outdoor antenna. I have a cheap indoor directional antenna that ocassionally picks up channel 25 from Jax, so I figured that a larger outdoor antenna might be able to pull the rest of them in.

Thanks.
post #369 of 3461 Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 AM

Ch 20 was not on Cox in HD the day of the Superbowl - I performed a channel scan to see if by some chance they added it. My Sony HDVR remaps it on ch 0. A friend of mine here in town verified this as he also receives it on 0. Cane99 lists it on 101-102 - I guess that means 101.102? - that is probably the actual ch it resides on and would be the one you can try direct tuning to.

I do get Jacksonville HD channels occasionally with an 8-bay bow-tie Channel Master UHF antenna that I have in my attic aimed out the East facing gable to get WUFT-DT and WGFL-DT. The direction I'm aiming also happens to be towards Jax. I pretty regularly get 4.1 WJXT-DT Ind. and 47.1 CBS. Sometimes others when skip is rolling in good. I have also received Orlando stations - mostly their WB station on 17.3 with a second 4-bay UHF antenna I have aiming SSE to get WCJB-DT and WOGX-DT.

The problem with getting NBC OTA is that the Jax, Orlando, and Tampa DTV allotments are all on VHF, ch 13, 11, and 7 respectively. The great majority of DTV allotments are on UHF channels (14-69) because that band has less terrestrial/man-made noise. Your best bet to receive any of those ( I would shoot for ch 13 from JAX if you are on the north side of Gville) would be to get a cut antenna for that specific channel and mount it up at LEAST 50 ft with a preamp. At least for a channel 13 antenna, you won't have the extra wide elements that you find on an all-band antenna for ch 2 - that's what makes them so huge!
post #370 of 3461 Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the reply....unfortunately, I'm on the SW side of town (I live off of 241 south near Jonesville). I guess I will just have to wait until Dish network makes Fox and NBC available in Hi-def.
post #371 of 3461 Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 AM

Well I just got a new antenna to try - Terk HDTVa. It seems to pick up all the digital channels in the area: WCJB, WOGX, & WUFT. Guess I'll keep it for now and see how it keeps doing.

Saturday morning I did a scan with the antenna and picked up WFSU 11.1 - 11.4 - I had no idea what channel this was -- turned out it is a PBS station out of Tallahassee?!?! It was only 1 bar of strength and haven't gotten it back yet. Anyone else received this in the Ocala area?
post #372 of 3461 Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM

You should also get WGFL on 28.1(CBS) - 28.2(UPN). Try aiming it towards Orlando and doing a scan.
post #373 of 3461 Old 02-22-2006, 06:35 AM

I climbed up into my attic and put my Terk HDTVa. Suprisingly, I am able to receive channel 12 from Jax. The picture is very watchable. However, I am not receiving the digital feed. If I'm getting a pretty good picture on the analog station, does that correlate into being able to receive a good digital signal? Also, since I am picking up that station with nothing more than rabbit ears, what do you think my chances of receiving the signal would be by getting a VHF antenna (one that I don't have to put on a 50ft tower)?

Thanks.
post #374 of 3461 Old 02-23-2006, 07:42 PM

Only if the digital is at full power - many are not yet. It's going to be hit or miss. If you don't get 13.1 (NBC - 12) out of Jacksonville, you may get 11.1 (NBC - 2) out of daytona Beach-Orlando
post #375 of 3461 Old 03-02-2006, 07:10 PM

Have you noticed the new Test1, Test2, Test3 and Test4 labeled channels on 800 through 804? Anyone know the scoop on what these test channels are for? Anyone hear about any new channels coming to Gainesville Cox?
post #376 of 3461 Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 AM

I noticed those, but have no idea what they are for. I was optimistic that the National Geographic HD channel would be added because of Cox testing it on their event's channel a few weeks ago, but have heard nothing. I would like them to add that, ESPN2 HD and get the ABC station in HD on cable already.
post #377 of 3461 Old 03-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Any updates on these test channels? Any word on new offerings?
post #378 of 3461 Old 03-05-2006, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

My QAM enabled Toshiba RPTV gets ABC on 0, PBS on 720, NBC on 722, and whatever you want to call it on 28.2 (not really HD though?) but will not see a digital channel at 100.1, which is where I've heard CBS resides. Any clues? Even after my most recent channel scan (about two or three days ago) it thinks 100 is analog, and punching in 100.1 manually bounces back out to some other channel.

--
Daniel
post #379 of 3461 Old 03-06-2006, 05:31 AM

I noticed all the Test channels this past weekend also. I certainly hope they're all HD feeds.

I just sent an email to Cox technical support and hopefully they'll offer a bit of insight. They seemed pretty forthcoming when I emailed them about the ABC deal before the Super Bowl, so I'll post their response here if they give me any pertinent channel information.

-commiecat
post #380 of 3461 Old 03-07-2006, 07:07 PM

What gives? I now see test 1 through test 12.
post #381 of 3461 Old 03-09-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally there were four 'Test' channels at location 800-804 ...then they grew to twelve channels located at 800-812 ...and now Cox has moved the twelve channels again to a new location at channels 951-962. I hope these aren't going to be music channels or more pay-per-view channels. Hey, maybe the purpose of these 'Tests' is to see how many crazy subscribers like me will waste their time watching Cox moving Test channels around?
post #382 of 3461 Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 PM

I have not been receiving ESPN HD all day...
post #383 of 3461 Old 03-13-2006, 01:33 PM

Well I still haven't heard anything regarding the test channels and like everybody else, I've noticed them go from a few channels in the 800s, to about 10 channels in the 800s, to now sitting by all the music channels (900s?). I got an initial response from Cox saying that they were forwarding my query to tech support - tech support has yet to answer and it's been a good week.

I've noticed the ESPNHD feed has been screwy the past few days. I tried to catch a few of the conference championship basketball games and got no signal - everything came in fine on regular ESPN. I certainly hope it's something that they've fixed with March Madness upon us.

I've also been having random problems specifically on NBC. Shoddy audio and glitchy video from time to time - about 2 or 3 weeks ago while watching The Office I found that I only had rear channel audio (at least that's how it seemed). I only heard ambient effects (paper ruffling, etc...) and couldn't hear the dialogue. It was really bizarre.

I'm sure we'll find out what all these test channels are for soon enough. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will at least be a few more HD feeds. While I doubt that I'll be hearing back from Cox tech support, I will post here if they send me any response about the test channels.

-commiecat

BTW - anybody catch the season premiere of The Sopranos? OMFG how I've missed it!
post #384 of 3461 Old 03-30-2006, 08:35 AM

Anyone heard anything more about new channels?
post #385 of 3461 Old 04-04-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg.fla View Post

QAM stands for Quadrature Amplitude Modulation. It is the digital TV transmission format used for all over the air digital TV signals in the US. You MUST have a TV or other piece of equipment that has a QAM receiver to get digital channels from an antenna (over the air - OTA).

You need an ATSC tuner for over the air digital.
post #386 of 3461 Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM

I'm using a QAM tuner, and receiving 100.1 and 100.2 (cbs/upn) with no problems, but my abc, nbc, and pbs digital channels (0, 720, 722) get blocky artifacts and stutter occasionally. I've checked the signal strengths and they're all above 55. Anyone else having similar problems?
post #387 of 3461 Old 04-09-2006, 07:52 PM

Anybody else lose signal on CBS 28.1? I live in Trenton and normally receive CBS at close to 90%. I tried to watch the Master's today and nothing.
post #388 of 3461 Old 04-10-2006, 04:35 AM

Same here. I suspect it has something to do with the thunderstorms Saturday night, but I have not had a signal on 28.1 (or 28.2) since then.
post #389 of 3461 Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 AM

Im glad it wasn't just me, but boy, i was so happy the Masters was in HD this year and then boom the feed is gone completely! Not cool. It makes sense if the thunderstorms had something to do with it i guess. I also didn't get great reception from Fox yesterday, although it wasn't a total loss of feed. Anybody else?
post #390 of 3461 Old 04-10-2006, 08:59 AM

Speaking of poor reception, anyone else having problems with NBC HD on Cox Cable? My picture pixelates and the sound goes out from time to time.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page