Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 3461 Old 07-12-2006, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rfreak View Post

WCJB-CW (20-2) is broadcasting in standard definition, according to my TV. Anyone know if it will be HD by September?

There's not enough bandwidth to have two HD channels on a single freq. They would have to be compressed to such a hidious amount that they would both look like crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 3461 Old 07-12-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

...all I am able to receive are WUFT (36-1,2,3-Gainesville)and Channel 51 (51-1 Jax.)...

51 is WOGX in Ocala.
post #483 of 3461 Old 07-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Nooooooooo!!!! I thought I was finally going to see Smallville in HD! I'm not happy.
post #484 of 3461 Old 07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I increased height of antenna mast to 22 ft and now pulling some of Jax HD pretty well. I talked to TV4 chief engineer this morning who advised they will have three HD channels up by this fall and will be broadcasting some Jaguars and SEC football games in HD.

Learned tv12 now operating at tempoary low power but they have made a commitment to go to higher power soon.

I'm still not sure how many channels I can pull from Jax area so any input appreciated.

Also wondering what my luck will be aiming toward Daytona or Savannah or even Orlando. Anyone near Keystone Heights or Melrose able to pull decent signal from cities other than Jax or Gainesville or Ocala?
Jim
post #485 of 3461 Old 07-13-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:

...I talked to TV4 chief engineer this morning who advised they will have three HD channels up by this fall and will be broadcasting some Jaguars and SEC football games in HD...

TV4? Do you mean Channel 4 (WJXT) in Jax or CBS 4 (WGFL) in Gainesville?
post #486 of 3461 Old 07-13-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:

I increased height of antenna mast to 22 ft and now pulling some of Jax HD pretty well. I talked to TV4 chief engineer this morning who advised they will have three HD channels up by this fall and will be broadcasting some Jaguars and SEC football games in HD.

Learned tv12 now operating at tempoary low power but they have made a commitment to go to higher power soon.

I'm still not sure how many channels I can pull from Jax area so any input appreciated.

Also wondering what my luck will be aiming toward Daytona or Savannah or even Orlando. Anyone near Keystone Heights or Melrose able to pull decent signal from cities other than Jax or Gainesville or Ocala?
Jim

If you live near Keystone Heights these JAX stations are 44 miles from you.

42 (4) IND WJXT
13 (12) NBC WTLV
10 (25) ABC WJXX
32 (30) FOX (HD) WAWS
19 (47) CBS WTEV
34 (17) WB WJWB
post #487 of 3461 Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I meant the "One and Only TV4" WJXT in Jacksonville. I think we may be seeing a revival in OTA from local broadcasters that will compete quite nicely with incumbent and embedded cable and sat providers. Guy says main channel output at a Megawatt of power with two more tv4 channels coming.
post #488 of 3461 Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:

I meant the "One and Only TV4" WJXT in Jacksonville.

Ok, that's what I thought. I was confused since CBS network carries both Jaguars and SEC games in HD, therfore, WGFL will also have Jaguars and SEC games in HD.

The two new channels from WJXT will be HD? That would require two more digital channels since it is only pratical to have one HD channel on a freq. Besides it is unlikely an independent would have more than one HD program at a time anyway.

It would be difficult for an independent to carry any game in HD since the syndicated sports providers (such as Jefferson-Davis and Raycom) don't provide HD feeds of the events they cover. Although that could change soon.
post #489 of 3461 Old 07-17-2006, 05:20 PM

On Tuesday, July 11 Cox cable did something with channels 2-45 (maybe all of the lower channels) that required DVR users to unprogram all of our future recordings on our DVRs. At least the standard DVR (I don't have HD yet). I noticed on the night of the 10th that all of those lower channels had been duplicated in the upper 900's. The next day, those channels in the upper 900's were gone, and I guess they replaced the feed of the original lower channels. Does anyone know what happened? Did they change compression? According to the letter I received from Cox a few days before the switch, they said that my DVR would now have more space, so I'm wondering what they did to the channels to make that happen.

The big problem is now some of the channels are messed up. Channel 13 only comes out of the right speaker. Channel 28 (A&E I think) only comes out of the left speaker. Channel 4 and 7 have very low volumes. The volume change is grating when I go from a low channel 4 to a very loud ESPN on 26.

Has anyone else with COX in Gainesville noticed these things, or would you please check them out and see if you have these same problems with 13 and 28 especially. I've tested a few friends TVs and they also have this problem. If it is a citywide problem, I'd like to let them know. Although, if it is, I don't know how one of their engineers wouldn't know by now.
post #490 of 3461 Old 07-18-2006, 08:21 PM

I just tried channels 13 and 28 and I'm getting audio out of all speakers. I have the HD-DVR so perhaps the cable box is the difference. Or maybe they fixed it.
post #491 of 3461 Old 07-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Thanks for checking. I'm glad to see Channel 28 has been fixed here as well, and 13 is better with sound comming out of all speakers, but the right channel is still louder here. It still seems like 4, 7, and 13 are still lower in volume than they should be compared to the other channels. If no one else is noticing this, then it may be something on my end, so I'll try to work it out.
post #492 of 3461 Old 07-19-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nargule View Post

...(such as Jefferson-Davis and Raycom)...

I'm an idiot. I meant Jefferson-Pilot, not Jefferson-Davis.
post #493 of 3461 Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkinator2tuf View Post

Thanks for checking. I'm glad to see Channel 28 has been fixed here as well, and 13 is better with sound comming out of all speakers, but the right channel is still louder here. It still seems like 4, 7, and 13 are still lower in volume than they should be compared to the other channels. If no one else is noticing this, then it may be something on my end, so I'll try to work it out.

I had the same experience with 13 and 28. I haven't checked them lately, I hoped they're fixed. On sunday channel 7 seemed to have very high audio levels, so much so that the audio was distorted.

Cox has been screwing around with the lower channels. The closed captioning on channel 4 is scrambled to hell on some TVs, where as it wasn't before. Channel 4 on cable used to be in perfect sync with WGFL's air signal, now it's five seconds behind. Somewhere along the way they are doing some sort of processing to the signal and I susupect they are screwing around with a lot of the other channels too.
post #494 of 3461 Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 PM

Glad to hear it is not just me. They did fix 28, so maybe they know about the other problems as well. If I find anything out I'll post it.
post #495 of 3461 Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Tried to search - still unfamiliar with moving around this site and new member.

I am located approx. 18 miles East/N.East from Gainesville, Fl between Melrose and Keystone Heights.

I have jumped into OTA HD and have a starter 22 ft. mast with UHF R.Shack antenna with R.Shack 30DB mast pre-amp connected to indoor power supply.

I'm trying to get information on likely metros for successful HD OTA reception from my location. Example, I am currently aiming slightly East of North and getting a very stong signal from the independent WJXT-TV4 (both channels) and they advise TV12 X-mitter across street from theirs and that I should get tv12 strong once they fix some problem they are having due to lightning.

My Core Question components are:

How should I adjust aim to get other Jax. channels like WJWS and WAWS?

Daytona about same distance away as Jax. Should I be able to pull in Daytona HD channel signals?

Is there web-based info that would give me general or even compass headings from my area with distances from the various transmitters.

I'm also try to figure out if I will gain much by adding VHF antenna component since many channels broadcasting UHF.

I chose 21 ft. antenna mast simply because I had material on hand to build it but would consider paying for like a 30ft. channel master telescoping mast if the extra few feet would result in a much greater signal availability.

I've been surprised and amazed at clarity of picture even at 100 inch diagonal throw so now I want more, more, more channels OTA.

Thanks and all help appreciated and/or to hear from OTA folk in and around the Keystone lake area or those having experience with N.Central and even S. Ga. channel reception.
Jim/Imjay
post #496 of 3461 Old 07-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Threads merged.
post #497 of 3461 Old 07-23-2006, 02:29 PM

www.antennaweb.org Put in your street address. The site will return directions and distance to all broadcast antenna. All the Jacksonville stations will probably be on the same heading.
post #498 of 3461 Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I chose 21 ft. antenna mast simply because I had material on hand to build it but would consider paying for like a 30ft. channel master telescoping mast if the extra few feet would result in a much greater signal availability.

I'm located about 40 miles due West of Gainesville, in Old Town. I have the 4228 antenna and 7777 amp mounted 35 ft. in the air.

I started out with a 15 ft. mast, then 20 ft. and so on. I had to get to the 35 ft. mast to really receive all the Gainesville stations consistently.
post #499 of 3461 Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Is anyone familar with the individual who is selling Televes antennas on Ebay? He/She? lists Gainesville as the shipping location. Thank you in advance.
post #500 of 3461 Old 07-29-2006, 11:32 AM

I had a COX tech at the house this afternoon and they are aware of the various problems with the new simulcast digital feeds. I was his 5th house this weekend for the problem. The volumes for all of the new feeds (you can tell which ones they are by the letter S at the end of the channel name in the program guide) are much lower than the rest of the channels. Also, channel 6 mostly comes out the left speaker and channels 13, 22 and 52 mostly come out the right.

We switched the 'Audio: Range' setting on the SA8300 to narrow, which helps the volume differences for now, but that is not a final solution.

So, at least they are getting some reports about the problem. Hopefully the engineers at the head feed will get the message and start to fix things. I do not want my FOX audio to be problematic once football season starts.
post #501 of 3461 Old 08-02-2006, 06:42 AM

An article in the business section of the Gainesville Sun stated that WOGX (Fox) should be broadcasting in HD by the end of their fiscal year. The article does not indicate when their fiscal year ends, but nevertheless, it is still good news to know that the station is finally committed to transmitting their signal in HD.
post #502 of 3461 Old 08-02-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've got a question in regards to picking up Cox digital out of Ocala. Since it seems like the nearest HD Fox station is in Jax which would require a large outdoor antenna I've pretty much given up that dream for now, and the Ocala digital Fox station would tide me over for a while.

I went to antennaweb and put in my address, it showed that with a "yellow-uhf" antenna I should be able to pick up ABC HD out of Gainesville and Fox digital out of Ocala among two others. With yellow being the weakest strength antenna needed I went to Radio Shack and picked up a cheapo $10 indoor UHF/VHF antenna. However, I am only able to pick up ABC HD, no Fox digital or any of the other stations (pointing towards ABC and FOX) antennaweb said I should get. Just how strong an antenna am I going to need to pick up ABC and Fox (the others don't matter as I have those through my HD cable package, I just need ABC HD and Fox digital)? Any recommendations for any in particular (I live off 20th Ave in Gainesville, Antennaweb shows ABC as 6.7 miles away and FOX as ~30 miles away)?

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #503 of 3461 Old 08-02-2006, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I also saw the article in the Gainesville sun this morning, and after work I went to see the signal strength on CBS (28) digital channel. Nice to see the signal strength coming in at 98-100 percent from 72-75 precent when CBS 4 was using a low powered tower. Now i'm waiting on FOX 51 to go HD.
post #504 of 3461 Old 08-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvgator View Post

An article in the business section of the Gainesville Sun stated that WOGX (Fox) should be broadcasting in HD by the end of their fiscal year. The article does not indicate when their fiscal year ends, but nevertheless, it is still good news to know that the station is finally committed to transmitting their signal in HD.

Don't hold your breath. According to financial statements for Fox, which owns WOGX, their fiscal year ends in June, so we've got about another year for them to do it, or more likely tell us why they can't do it until the end of the next fiscal year.

--
Daniel
post #505 of 3461 Old 08-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

I've got a question in regards to picking up Cox digital out of Ocala. Since it seems like the nearest HD Fox station is in Jax which would require a large outdoor antenna I've pretty much given up that dream for now, and the Ocala digital Fox station would tide me over for a while.

I went to antennaweb and put in my address, it showed that with a "yellow-uhf" antenna I should be able to pick up ABC HD out of Gainesville and Fox digital out of Ocala among two others. With yellow being the weakest strength antenna needed I went to Radio Shack and picked up a cheapo $10 indoor UHF/VHF antenna. However, I am only able to pick up ABC HD, no Fox digital or any of the other stations (pointing towards ABC and FOX) antennaweb said I should get. Just how strong an antenna am I going to need to pick up ABC and Fox (the others don't matter as I have those through my HD cable package, I just need ABC HD and Fox digital)? Any recommendations for any in particular (I live off 20th Ave in Gainesville, Antennaweb shows ABC as 6.7 miles away and FOX as ~30 miles away)?

RCA Silver Sensor. $20 from Amazon right now with free shipping on $25 or more.
post #506 of 3461 Old 08-05-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

Don't hold your breath. According to financial statements for Fox, which owns WOGX, their fiscal year ends in June, so we've got about another year for them to do it, or more likely tell us why they can't do it until the end of the next fiscal year.

--
Daniel

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still waiting for stereo on WOGX, analog 51.

However they carry the Tampa Bay football games, and that's a good thing. Too bad they won't be in HD.
post #507 of 3461 Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 PM

is WGFL now broadcasting in the higher power, higher tower now? That gainesville station says that they are now?
post #508 of 3461 Old 08-05-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houselog442 View Post

is WGFL now broadcasting in the higher power, higher tower now? That gainesville station says that they are now?

Yes.
post #509 of 3461 Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 AM

Hi Folks, first time posting here. Anyone on here have a TV with a QAM tuner on Cox? Just got a Vizio TV with a QAM tuner from Sam's and after a scan I am getting UPN on 100-4, CBS on 100-3, NBC on 722, and PBS on 720. Should I be getting ony other clear QAM HD channels? Thanks!
post #510 of 3461 Old 08-06-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkinator2tuf View Post

The volumes for all of the new feeds (you can tell which ones they are by the letter S at the end of the channel name in the program guide) are much lower than the rest of the channels. Also, channel 6 mostly comes out the left speaker and channels 13, 22 and 52 mostly come out the right.

My channel 13 still comes mostly out the right channel. I haven't checked the others you mention. It's really obnoxious but I don't expect it to be fixed soon knowing Cox.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page