Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS Forum
First ... 16  17  18 19  20  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Gainesville, FL - HDTV
Snarler's Avatar Snarler 07:46 PM 08-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapeno View Post

Hi Folks, first time posting here. Anyone on here have a TV with a QAM tuner on Cox? Just got a Vizio TV with a QAM tuner from Sam's and after a scan I am getting UPN on 100-4, CBS on 100-3, NBC on 722, and PBS on 720. Should I be getting ony other clear QAM HD channels? Thanks!

Nothing comes to mind. The other channels that Cox offers HD are ESPN, TNT, HBO, Showtime, INHD 1 and 2, Discovery, and Universal, but all of those should be scrambled (or whatever they call it these days.)

Snarler's Avatar Snarler 07:22 PM 08-07-2006
So if a digital channel on Cox, in this case the NFL Network, broadcasts a particular show in HD, will we get that show in HD since that channel isn't one of the HD channels?
kahleds's Avatar kahleds 08:54 AM 08-08-2006
Does anybody know why on the Cox onscreen guide the letter "s" has been added behind certain channels. For example, Cox lists 13 FOXS, 7 WCJBS, etc. Are they working on adding these as digital or better yet hd channels?
sparkinator2tuf's Avatar sparkinator2tuf 09:11 AM 08-08-2006
The stations with S are digital silmucast channels. They are still sending out the analog signal as well for those without a box, but your box is now grabbing the digital feed. This will allow for more recording space if you have one of the their DVRs. This info is according to one of their field techs.
penleydr's Avatar penleydr 09:44 AM 08-08-2006
So WCJB is now broadcasting over an "HD" channel, but are they actually sending any HD signals on 20.1?? I've seen a few posts regarding TV20 and HD but nothing concrete. Basically what I want to know is, come fall will programs (football games specifically) broadcast from ABC in HD be HD from TV20's tower so I can watch it?? The same goes for FOX, are they broadcasting anything in HD and/or are there plans to?
hdtvgator's Avatar hdtvgator 12:13 PM 08-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by penleydr View Post

So WCJB is now broadcasting over an "HD" channel, but are they actually sending any HD signals on 20.1?? I've seen a few posts regarding TV20 and HD but nothing concrete. Basically what I want to know is, come fall will programs (football games specifically) broadcast from ABC in HD be HD from TV20's tower so I can watch it?? The same goes for FOX, are they broadcasting anything in HD and/or are there plans to?

WCJB broadcasts all ABC HD programming. WOGX (Fox) broadcasts digitally, but does not provide an HD signal.
speedokdf's Avatar speedokdf 07:39 PM 08-10-2006
I have E* vip211. I have a Terk clip on for my OTA. Last week I got WGFL, WCJB and WUFT OTA. WOGX is always in the 70s but never locks in. Anyway, this week my box won't lock in WGFL anymore though signal strength appears to be within the range that it was prior (70-80s). The other channels are just fine. Any ideas what is going on?
nostar's Avatar nostar 09:04 AM 08-11-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedokdf View Post

I have E* vip211. I have a Terk clip on for my OTA. Last week I got WGFL, WCJB and WUFT OTA. WOGX is always in the 70s but never locks in. Anyway, this week my box won't lock in WGFL anymore though signal strength appears to be within the range that it was prior (70-80s). The other channels are just fine. Any ideas what is going on?

Multipath is probably the reason. Try changing the direction of the (TERK)antenna if you can. They recently changed their transmitter location, and went full power.
speedokdf's Avatar speedokdf 10:36 AM 08-11-2006
I got a response from WGFL. They are having a problem with the PSIP generator, and hope to have it resolved shortly.
desiguy2447's Avatar desiguy2447 07:34 PM 08-11-2006
I had the same problem with WGFL I cannot lock on to the channel even though the signal is at 100%

I figured something was up with WGFL. Hopefully the PSIP will be fixed soon. Luckly I also get CBS HD and SD from NYC on Dish Network with WGFL having a back up CBS channel seems to be useful.
Nargule's Avatar Nargule 05:51 PM 08-12-2006
Those of you having a problem with WGFL; a channel scan should fix the problem. Of course you will have to do another scan when the PSIP info is back. Don't be surprised if the channels appear as 28-3 and 28-4 in the meantime. I don't know the exact reason for all this, but the PIDs of the audio and video seem to have changed without the PSIP info.
gatorred's Avatar gatorred 05:56 PM 08-12-2006
Works for me ! WGFL is now 28-3 and 28-4 on my receiver.
Nargule's Avatar Nargule 06:03 PM 08-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorred View Post

Works for me ! WGFL is now 28-3 and 28-4 on my receiver.

What? You mean information I gave was useful?

I guess there's a first time for everything!
gatorred's Avatar gatorred 06:30 PM 08-12-2006
Yep, and we'll try to remember to rescan in a few days
to get the channels back where they should be.
Thanks
FreeBaGeL's Avatar FreeBaGeL 11:15 PM 08-18-2006
Ok, this is really frustrating.

Antennaweb.org said I need a simple yellow rated UHF antenna to pick up all the local HD channels here. I picked up a pair of rabbit ears recently for OTA HD reception on my Samsung HL-S6187 and was only able to pick up ABC HD. No big deal, was giving the $9.99 antenna a shot first.

So, I moved on to plan 2. I couldn't really get a response on the forums on what antenna I should go after, but searches turned up the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna so I ordered one. Got it in today and much to my chagrin I am still only able to pick up ABC HD and PBS HD. No CBS, and no FOX digital.

But the really dissappointing thing is that a buddy of mine has an oft-hated (on these forums) Terk antenna and he is able to pick up FOX digital without a problem. I figured with this antenna getting such rave reviews (compared to the awful reviews of that one) that I should be able to pick up all these channels with ease.

I am on SW 20th Lane in Gainesville (near Best Buy) if that helps. Anyone know what gives?
Snarler's Avatar Snarler 12:32 PM 08-19-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Ok, this is really frustrating.

Antennaweb.org said I need a simple yellow rated UHF antenna to pick up all the local HD channels here. I picked up a pair of rabbit ears recently for OTA HD reception on my Samsung HL-S6187 and was only able to pick up ABC HD. No big deal, was giving the $9.99 antenna a shot first.

So, I moved on to plan 2. I couldn't really get a response on the forums on what antenna I should go after, but searches turned up the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna so I ordered one. Got it in today and much to my chagrin I am still only able to pick up ABC HD and PBS HD. No CBS, and no FOX digital.

But the really dissappointing thing is that a buddy of mine has an oft-hated (on these forums) Terk antenna and he is able to pick up FOX digital without a problem. I figured with this antenna getting such rave reviews (compared to the awful reviews of that one) that I should be able to pick up all these channels with ease.

I am on SW 20th Lane in Gainesville (near Best Buy) if that helps. Anyone know what gives?

With respect to the Silver Sensor, have you tried various positions? I have to have it pointed one way for CBS and another for ABC. Also, Fox may be sending a signal over their digital channel, but it's the equivalent of analog, and I never get sound.
FreeBaGeL's Avatar FreeBaGeL 08:08 PM 08-20-2006
Yeah tried different positions, still no CBS and no FOX :\\

Would an amplified antenna work better? Anyone in Gainesville having success getting all these channels? What antenna are you using?
bowens21's Avatar bowens21 06:45 AM 08-21-2006
Quote:

Yeah tried different positions, still no CBS and no FOX :\\

Would an amplified antenna work better? Anyone in Gainesville having success getting all these channels? What antenna are you using?

I live 30 miles west of Gainesville in Trenton, and I have Channel Master CM 4228 (sorry it wouldn't let me post a link) antenna and it works great. This little thing really surprised me. The only reason I have it is because it was on the house when I moved in but I'm glad I kept it. If you can put up an outdoor antenna, this one would be great. It's very small and almost unnoticable. I am getting CBS, PBS, and ABC in the mid 80's. I can't get FOX but I get it over the satellite and the local is not in HD anyway, so no big deal.
LL
kilobravo3's Avatar kilobravo3 07:13 AM 08-22-2006
I live in Newberry, and now have a 4228 in the attic. I am able to get CBS,ABC,PBS, and FOX with no problems at all. Before I put the 4228 in the attic, I had a Terk antenna that sat on top of the TV. Even with that POS antenna I had no problem receiving all the local channels (just not at the signal strength I was hoping for). So, with you on SW 20th, you should have no problem at all receiving everything. Have you tried pointing the antenna west to get CBS? The CBS digital tower is in Newberry. Are you sure you are looking at the correct channels? CBS is channel 28, and the FOX digital feed is on 31. What tuner are you using?
FreeBaGeL's Avatar FreeBaGeL 09:40 AM 08-23-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilobravo3 View Post

I live in Newberry, and now have a 4228 in the attic. I am able to get CBS,ABC,PBS, and FOX with no problems at all. Before I put the 4228 in the attic, I had a Terk antenna that sat on top of the TV. Even with that POS antenna I had no problem receiving all the local channels (just not at the signal strength I was hoping for). So, with you on SW 20th, you should have no problem at all receiving everything. Have you tried pointing the antenna west to get CBS? The CBS digital tower is in Newberry. Are you sure you are looking at the correct channels? CBS is channel 28, and the FOX digital feed is on 31. What tuner are you using?

Yeah I've gone to antenna web and checked the directions, and tried pretty much every direction. The only digital channels I pick up after doing a scan are 36 (PBS) and 20 (ABC). I am using the built-in tuner in my Samsung HL-S6187 television.

Did your Terk antenna have an amplifier built in? This Silver Sensor does not, but it has gotten all kinds of rave reviews.
kilobravo3's Avatar kilobravo3 09:51 AM 08-23-2006
My Terk does have an amp...but it pulls the signals even when it is not turned on. Are you sure you have the antenna plugged into the correct slot on the back of your Sammy? Mine has two coax inputs...one for cable, and the other for air. You probably have it right, but just a thought...but it doesn't make any sense why you aren't picking up CBS and FOX....especially CBS
Nargule's Avatar Nargule 04:48 AM 08-24-2006
Quote:

...Would an amplified antenna work better?...

In my experience, no. Amplified antennas are great for analog, especially since you can see a picture quality difference as you boost the gain but with digital receivers too much signal can be just as bad as too little signal. Your results may vary.
hrick's Avatar hrick 12:58 PM 08-24-2006
I tested a Silver Sensor and in my particular situation it was less useful than plain old "rabbit ears." I thought maybe it was broken so I got another Silver Sensor and the result was the same. I guess the people who have written rave reviews of it are in situations much different from mine.
drewbrunelle's Avatar drewbrunelle 12:27 AM 08-28-2006
before I waste any money buying some kind of antenna to try to get Fox from either JAX or Orlando, has anyone had any luck receiving OTA FOX HD? Im thinking no, but it is worth a shot to ask...
nostar's Avatar nostar 08:25 AM 08-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrick View Post

I tested a Silver Sensor and in my particular situation it was less useful than plain old "rabbit ears." I thought maybe it was broken so I got another Silver Sensor and the result was the same. I guess the people who have written rave reviews of it are in situations much different from mine.

What kind of siding do you have on your home/apartment. It's hard to get a TV signal indoors if you are surrounded by metal, as in a mobile home.

Try moving your antenna near a window.
Jim Shorts's Avatar Jim Shorts 01:36 PM 08-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrick View Post

I also have tried two different Silver Sensor antennas with poor results. Not much better than regular $7.00 rabbit ears. I also bought these because of the reviews I had seen from other people. I think there may be some confusion over how well they work because the digital signals themselves work so well that many may be confusing the performace of the antenna with picture quality. The picture quality will be the same from a paper clip if you can get enough signal on it.

I have had very good luck with a DB-2 from antennasdirect. This is an indoor / outdoor antenna that is a little too large to have sitting in your living room but works very well. They also sell larger, higher gain versions of this bowtie reflector array.

As far as preamps go, mast mount are good for long line loss from tall mast mounting but can mess up the backside rejection ratio of directional antennas if that is a concern. Base mount preamps can be used with good results only if they are low noise units.

You can get a pretty good inexpensive base mount preamp for under $20.00 from PicoMacom. Look for the TA-15. It's not bad for the money. This with a regular set of rabbit ears will work about as well as any 12dB amplified indoor antenna and will probably cost you a few dollars less. I wouldn't bother with amplifiers greater than 12 - 15 dB as you just don't have enough signal if you need more amplifer than that.

Sorry, I'm new so I can't post the links to the equipment.

Indoor antennas can only get about 1/2 of the available signal and will react to people moving around them. Attic is better but outdoors is best. The higher the antenna the better for distant stations. A metal roof or lots of metal in the structure may require an outdoor installation.

Indoor antennas aren't ideal but can work well under the correct circumstances. Try bringing a sat dish inside and see how well it works. : )
swmcgator's Avatar swmcgator 05:33 PM 08-30-2006
Just posting an email that I just received from Cox Cable...

Dear XXXXXXXXX:

Thank you for your e-mail.

We appreciate your interest and your feedback with regard to the
availability of HD channels in this area.

Our Marketing and Customer Relations areas have been continuously
working on providing our customers with as many HD channels as is
possible.

We are happy to be able to provide you a very recent update. ABC HD is
coming to our Gainesville Customers.

We do not have the exact date, these details are still being worked out.
We can say that, rather than months, we are looking at weeks as the
worst case scenario.

We appreciate your business and your patience during this time and hope
that you will allow us to continue providing you with our service.

Our further information is that Fox is not available in this market
area. Please contact Fox directly to provide them with your feedback as
to the possibility of bring their programming here as well.

If we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to
contact us again.

Thank you.
Claire
Cox Communications Online Customer Care Team
Nargule's Avatar Nargule 01:20 AM 09-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbrunelle View Post

before I waste any money buying some kind of antenna to try to get Fox from either JAX or Orlando, has anyone had any luck receiving OTA FOX HD? Im thinking no, but it is worth a shot to ask...

It really depends on how high you mount your antenna. I know you can easily get CBS47 (WTEV 47.1) from Jax in Gainesville if your antenna is mounted high enough. Kind of useless since WGFL is HD but my point is it's possible with the right height.
Telgar's Avatar Telgar 09:27 PM 09-03-2006
Hi,

Is anyone having audio problems with PBS HD through COX's crappy cable? I've been having audio cut out problems on this channel since April and COX has not been able to help me. They acknowledge everytime they see my account details that it's a problem but it's never fixed. I'm about to cancel my service with them. Aside from my frustration with them, is anyone experiencing these problems?

Question 2: DirecTV or DishTV as my next service?
Question 3: Are COX's analog channels (2-72) any clearer or sharper on satellite? Sci Fi, TBS, and most of them just look like a dirty toilet on COX.

Thanks so much.
FreeBaGeL's Avatar FreeBaGeL 12:13 PM 09-05-2006
PBS HD and UPN HD are available through Cox (I've seen each mentioned on this page)? If so, what channel are they?
First ... 16  17  18 19  20  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop