Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 3461 Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Member
 
hdtvgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

PBS HD and UPN HD are available through FOX (I've seen each mentioned on this page)? If so, what channel are they?

PBS HD is at 36.2
UPN no longer exists, it was replaced on Monday by MyTV.
My TV does broadcast in HD, but the local affiliate does not have the
bandwith to transmit the HD 1080i signal. It is broadcast as 480i, and can
be found at 28.2
hdtvgator is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 3461 Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Newbie
 
hrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alachua County FL
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Telgar, you can get the local PBS station digitally on over-the-air channel 36. Depending on where you live a small indoor antenna may be sufficient.

The "basic cable" channels look okay on Dish or DirectTV. They use a lot of compression to squeeze as much as possible onto the satellite so sometimes you will notice a lack of detail in certain kinds of images -- on baseball games, for example, you cannot see individual blades of grass on the field or stubble-hairs on the players' faces; instead you see a vague green or brown blur. But this is preferable to the awful interference that some people get in their cable signals.
hrick is offline  
post #543 of 3461 Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FreeBaGeL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Titletown, FL
Posts: 1,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvgator View Post

PBS HD is at 36.2
UPN no longer exists, it was replaced on Monday by MyTV.
My TV does broadcast in HD, but the local affiliate does not have the
bandwith to transmit the HD 1080i signal. It is broadcast as 480i, and can
be found at 28.2

Whoops, my post was supposed to say "through cox" (I mistyped).

I know they're available OTA, but on page 18 a couple people mentioned that each of them were available through Cox.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

FreeBaGeL is offline  
post #544 of 3461 Old 09-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Jim Shorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PBS = Cox HDTV Channel 720
or if you use a QAM tuner without their box it's on channel 90 I think. It'll show up with a channel scan.
UPN programming has been moved to the new CW which WCJB will be airing on it's secondary digital but not in HD. WCJB's digital signals aren't available from Cox Cable as yet but should be very soon. CW will not be available in HD but should be included as an SD on the QAM if you don't have a box from Cox. It will be like the WGFL with CBS 100.1 in HDTV and My Network at 100.2 in SD on the QAM. Cox will air The CW on analog channel 10.

It's been mentioned before but you don't need a box from Cox to get the HDTV network stations. You just need a QAM capable tuner (most new ones are) and basic cable. You don't get the scrambled HDTV channels this way though such as ESPN-HD or Discovery-HD.
PBS, CBS, NBC are currently available this way, ABC should be added very soon and Fox will get added when they do HDTV. The additional SD channels that some stations multiplex will generally be available on the QAM as well even though they are not HDTV. These should include My Network and The CW Network.
Jim Shorts is offline  
post #545 of 3461 Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Jim Shorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telgar View Post

Hi,

Is anyone having audio problems with PBS HD through COX's crappy cable? I've been having audio cut out problems on this channel since April and COX has not been able to help me. They acknowledge everytime they see my account details that it's a problem but it's never fixed. I'm about to cancel my service with them. Aside from my frustration with them, is anyone experiencing these problems?

Question 2: DirecTV or DishTV as my next service?
Question 3: Are COX's analog channels (2-72) any clearer or sharper on satellite? Sci Fi, TBS, and most of them just look like a dirty toilet on COX.

Thanks so much.


One thing to keep in mind is that Direct does not do local network stations in this area. This won't be a problem if you plan to do the HDTV channels over the air as you won't be watching the SD versions anyway. But something to keep in mind if a TV station's HD signal is down. Dish can give you an SD versions of the local channels on satelitte but DirecTV will not.
Jim Shorts is offline  
post #546 of 3461 Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Member
 
hdtvgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like Cox Communications and WESH (NBC) are at odds over
retransmission of their HD signal (722) on the Cox Gainesville system.
There was a notice today in the Gainesville Sun informing subscribers that
if an agreement for continued carriage could not be worked out, WESH-DT
would be removed from the Cox HD tier by the end of September.

WESH (analog 2) is not effected by this dispute and will continue to be carried
by Cox.
hdtvgator is offline  
post #547 of 3461 Old 09-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Member
 
nostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Old Town, Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

One thing to keep in mind is that Direct does not do local network stations in this area. This won't be a problem if you plan to do the HDTV channels over the air as you won't be watching the SD versions anyway. But something to keep in mind if a TV station's HD signal is down. Dish can give you an SD versions of the local channels on satelitte but DirecTV will not.

I have Direct because they offer NBC and FOX distant HD feeds as well as the SD versions.
You are on your own for ABC, CBS and PBS. (OTA)

If Cox takes down WESH HD this option would look pretty good.
nostar is offline  
post #548 of 3461 Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Newbie
 
e3S48s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

PBS = Cox HDTV Channel 720
or if you use a QAM tuner without their box it's on channel 90 I think. It'll show up with a channel scan.
UPN programming has been moved to the new CW which WCJB will be airing on it's secondary digital but not in HD. WCJB's digital signals aren't available from Cox Cable as yet but should be very soon. CW will not be available in HD but should be included as an SD on the QAM if you don't have a box from Cox. It will be like the WGFL with CBS 100.1 in HDTV and My Network at 100.2 in SD on the QAM. Cox will air The CW on analog channel 10.

It's been mentioned before but you don't need a box from Cox to get the HDTV network stations. You just need a QAM capable tuner (most new ones are) and basic cable. You don't get the scrambled HDTV channels this way though such as ESPN-HD or Discovery-HD.
PBS, CBS, NBC are currently available this way, ABC should be added very soon and Fox will get added when they do HDTV. The additional SD channels that some stations multiplex will generally be available on the QAM as well even though they are not HDTV. These should include My Network and The CW Network.

Having watched this forum for a little bit, and having just bought my first HDTV, I am pleased to contribute the following knowledge: WCJB is being carried (in HD, no less, at least during some prime-time shows) on channel 100.2 where I live (zip code 32601). The digital line-up I see through my Cox connection (no converter) is as follows:

Ch. 81.1 = PBS HD (equivalent to 36.2 off the air)
Ch. 81.2 = NBC
Ch. 100.1 = CBS (equivalent to 28.1 off the air)
Ch. 100.2 = ABC (equivalent to 20.1 off the air)

Now those are what I could pick up with only a subscription to "Limited Basic Cable" (in addition to analog cable channels 2-22, 96, and 97; cost is only about $12/month ), so I have no clue why WCJB (ABC) is not yet in their HD tier for digital cable subscribers.

I've heard some mention how its not feasible to pack two HD "subchannels" on the same channel, so I'm wondering... what must be giving here?
e3S48s is offline  
post #549 of 3461 Old 09-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Member
 
RobFox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gainesville, Florida USA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the DVI output on Cox's SA 3250 HD boxes work? I want to be sure before I buy a DVI to HDMI cable.
RobFox68 is offline  
post #550 of 3461 Old 09-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Member
 
Nargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by e3S48s View Post

Ch. 81.1 = PBS HD (equivalent to 36.2 off the air)
Ch. 81.2 = NBC
Ch. 100.1 = CBS (equivalent to 28.1 off the air)
Ch. 100.2 = ABC (equivalent to 20.1 off the air)

You don't get WGFL's secondary channel (aka WMYG-My11, fka WYPN-UPN11)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by e3S48s View Post

I've heard some mention how its not feasible to pack two HD "subchannels" on the same channel, so I'm wondering... what must be giving here?

That's true with broadcast channels since they only have 19.392 Mbit/sec bandwidth. I'm not sure about cable.
Nargule is offline  
post #551 of 3461 Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Member
 
Nargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobFox68 View Post

Does the DVI output on Cox's SA 3250 HD boxes work? I want to be sure before I buy a DVI to HDMI cable.

I would hope so. I'm curious to know if the 1394 jacks on the back do anything.
Nargule is offline  
post #552 of 3461 Old 09-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Member
 
kahleds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend informed me that he saw an ad in the Gainesville Sun on Sunday regarding ABC HD coming to the Ocala area. He said it was a cox cable ad. Does anyone have any info on this?
kahleds is offline  
post #553 of 3461 Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Newbie
 
MojoBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Folks,

I switched from Cox recently and got Dish Network, missing the point that I would not get NBC as a local channel.

Oops. I kinda like NBC (well, used to like them, but that's another story for another thread).

I am assuming that I will need a powerful long-range antenna to get NBC from Gainesville. (I'm in the SW part, not too far from Haile.) I have an attic, but some surrounding trees that might make life a little difficult. Complicating things is that I have only a basic knowledge of what I'm doing.

Do I have any realistic solution except for buying a big antenna and mounting it to my roof? Antennaweb says I need a [gasp!] lavender antenna to reach JAX, which seems accurate intuitively.

Even after that antenna is mounted, I'd still have a few basic questions on how to wire everything up. We have three tuners from Dish (one is standard, one is HD, and one is a dual-tuner HD/standard DVR). It would be nice to have the signal on all of these TVs, though of course HD programs wouldn't show up on the standard receivers.

1) Does one pay somebody else to install this and get it working? Who?
2) You can DVR OTA channels, right?
3) I had cable in this house before; can we use the old cords somehow to route the OTA signal through the house using the existing cable lines?

Many thanks in advance!
MojoBandit is offline  
post #554 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Jim Shorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoBandit View Post

Hi Folks,

I switched from Cox recently and got Dish Network, missing the point that I would not get NBC as a local channel.

I am assuming that I will need a powerful long-range antenna to get NBC from Gainesville. (I'm in the SW part, not too far from Haile.) I have an attic, but some surrounding trees that might make life a little difficult. Complicating things is that I have only a basic knowledge of what I'm doing.

Do I have any realistic solution except for buying a big antenna and mounting it to my roof? Antennaweb says I need a [gasp!] lavender antenna to reach JAX, which seems accurate intuitively.


Many thanks in advance!

My understanding is that DISH has been sued for illegally delivering distant network signals and as a result can no longer participate in the waiver program or you would qualify for a waiver for NBC out of NY. I believe that they are also court ordered to remove distant networks from existing customers so this may start happening to people in this area.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to receive an over the air signal from Jacksonville or Orlando from your area. I wouldn't waste my time.
The good news is that you shouldn't need anything fancy for an antenna from your area. You might just try a pair of inexpensive rabbit ears. It may be all you need for the Gainesville TV stations. If it turns out you need more than that then I would recommend the DB-2 from antennasdirect com in your attic. You could connect that antenna to your old cable wiring for distribution through your house if the sat installation isn't using it. Bad news is that you will only get the digital channels on receivers that have ATSC tuners built in. This is likely just the HD receivers. The SD receivers likely just have the old NTSC analog tuners.
Jim Shorts is offline  
post #555 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Member
 
nostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Old Town, Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

My understanding is that DISH has been sued for illegally delivering distant network signals and as a result can no longer participate in the waiver program or you would qualify for a waiver for NBC out of NY. I believe that they are also court ordered to remove distant networks from existing customers so this may start happening to people in this area.

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to receive an over the air signal from Jacksonville or Orlando from your area. I wouldn't waste my time.
The good news is that you shouldn't need anything fancy for an antenna from your area. You might just try a pair of inexpensive rabbit ears. It may be all you need for the Gainesville TV stations. If it turns out you need more than that then I would recommend the DB-2 from antennasdirect com in your attic. You could connect that antenna to your old cable wiring for distribution through your house if the sat installation isn't using it. Bad news is that you will only get the digital channels on receivers that have ATSC tuners built in. This is likely just the HD receivers. The SD receivers likely just have the old NTSC analog tuners.

It is my understanding that there is no NBC station in the Gainesville Florida DMA. You don't need a waiver, as you are in an analog and digital "white area" and are eligible for a Distant NBC Network.

I entered a fictitious address in Gainesville Fl on the Dish website and received this info:

Congratulations! This address may be eligible for part of the Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.


A LA CARTE STATIONS:

Station Network Affiliate CallSign
Jacksonville, FL and Brunswick, GA NBC WTLV
New York, NY NBC WNBC
Chicago, IL NBC WMAQ
Denver, CO NBC KUSA
Los Angeles, CA NBC KNBC
nostar is offline  
post #556 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Jim Shorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gainesville Florida
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In a 44-page ruling, the 11th Circuit panel found that EchoStar engaged in a "pattern and practice" of violating the SHVA. It ordered a lower court to issue a nationwide permanent injunction barring EchoStar from selling distant network signals.

The ruling's wording appeared to compel EchoStar to terminate not only illegal distant network subscribers, but also legal ones -- customers who can't pick up their local stations with an antenna.

"We have found no indication that EchoStar was ever interested in complying with the [SHVA]," the court said in a unanimous opinion. "EchoStar has disregarded the limitations of its statutory license and sought to avoid its obligations under the [SHVA] at every turn."

The ruling was handed down by U.S. Circuit Judge Gerald Bard Tjoflat, U.S. Circuit Judge James Clinkscales Hill and U.S. District Judge Richard Mills.





I guess I should have said they can't "legally" give you an NBC in my original post. : )
Jim Shorts is offline  
post #557 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Member
 
nostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Old Town, Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey! When you're wrong you're wrong.

I'm sure we haven't heard the end of this one. Seems like this decision gives an unfair advantage to Echostar's competition, directv and cable, and penalizes legal subscribers.

Some of these legal customers have a commitment with Dish. Lots of legal ramifications from this decision.

But for now it seems not to be a good time to sign with Dish Network if you want a distant NBC.
nostar is offline  
post #558 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Member
 
Nargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

...Bad news is that you will only get the digital channels on receivers that have ATSC tuners built in. This is likely just the HD receivers. The SD receivers likely just have the old NTSC analog tuners.

My brother has a Dish Network HD receiver and it has both an ATSC and NTSC OTA tuner in it. I'm not sure what the model number of the receiver is though.
Nargule is offline  
post #559 of 3461 Old 09-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Nargule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoBandit View Post

...2) You can DVR OTA channels, right?...

It depends on your hardware.
Nargule is offline  
post #560 of 3461 Old 09-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Newbie
 
speedokdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostar View Post

It is my understanding that there is no NBC station in the Gainesville Florida DMA. You don't need a waiver, as you are in an analog and digital "white area" and are eligible for a Distant NBC Network.

I entered a fictitious address in Gainesville Fl on the Dish website and received this info:

Congratulations! This address may be eligible for part of the Distant Network A La Cartes. You may choose a maximum total of 2 (two) A La Carte networks (ie. no more than two NBC, two ABC, two CBS, two FOX). You must be eligible to receive National PBS.


A LA CARTE STATIONS:

Station Network Affiliate CallSign
Jacksonville, FL and Brunswick, GA NBC WTLV
New York, NY NBC WNBC
Chicago, IL NBC WMAQ
Denver, CO NBC KUSA
Los Angeles, CA NBC KNBC

What fake address did you use? Is this under the local channels section of the website? As to being an unserved household (white area) I completely agree. Dish made me wait 45 days anyway before turning on WTLV. I spoke with someone from the FCC who tried to help me convince Dish that I didn't need to wait 45 days. No avail. At any rate, I have NBC now for as long as the law allows.
speedokdf is offline  
post #561 of 3461 Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
MojoBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You all would appreciate some of this. Based on all of your (very!) helpful advice, I called Dish Network to complain about a few things. First and foremost, one should not advertise "we've got local channels in your area!" when NBC is not one of said local channels. They said that they'd tell their supervisor (hah), and so I asked to speak to a supervisor. I spoke to a supervisor whose name was apparently "Dial Tone."

So I called back. No luck, and I won't bore you (further) with the details. The interesting thing was that they DID offer to help me submit a waiver for NBC, despite what Jim Shorts wrote below. The ruling was indeed that Dish had pretty much been giving DNS to anyone that asked without going through the waiver process. A few weeks ago, Dish (well, EchoStar) had agreed to settle with the four major networks, but Fox, perhaps motivated by its financial interest in DirecTV, pulled out.

The ruling that Jim Shorts posted below is accurate, but has not been enforced. Fox is pushing for the courts to start enforcing this ruling. Congress might get involved. Unbelievable.

Yet here is Dish Network on the phone telling me that I can apply for a waiver, without ever mentioning this lawsuit. (Just like they sold me their package without mentioning that I can't get NBC.) I get the feeling that this was out of ignorance on the part of the (apparently outsourced) customer service, not malice. They did tell me that I can cancel without penalty in 30 days, which I'll do, but encouraged me to wait for the results of this waiver, which of course, take 30-45 days to hear from. And oh by the way, no extensions on the 30-day cancellation period are allowed.

Nice.

As for waivers, I am going through DirecTV to try and obtain one. I live 68.6 miles from JAX's antenna, so if I lived on, say, SW 17th Ave instead of 16th, I'd be okay (yes, I tried this out: 1.5 blocks west of me and 1 south of me are automatically okay for the waiver...c'est la vie). I would think that I will be approved.

I've still got to figure out how to grab Fox OTA (ABC and CBS are no problem), but I think it's a matter of antenna/position combinations.

Thanks again for your help in this forum; it's much appreciated!
MojoBandit is offline  
post #562 of 3461 Old 09-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Member
 
nostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Old Town, Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the past, obtaining a waiver was a process of applying to a station in your DMA, for the right to receive a distant network by satellite. Usually this application was turned down.

Unless the waiver rules have changed, I don't understand which NBC station that Dish is trying to receive a waiver from. There is no NBC station in the Gainesville DMA. Is it WTLV Jax or WESH Orlando.

Maybe they need to get a waiver from the 11th Circuit panel.
nostar is offline  
post #563 of 3461 Old 09-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Member
 
nostar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Old Town, Florida
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedokdf View Post

What fake address did you use? Is this under the local channels section of the website? As to being an unserved household (white area) I completely agree. Dish made me wait 45 days anyway before turning on WTLV. I spoke with someone from the FCC who tried to help me convince Dish that I didn't need to wait 45 days. No avail. At any rate, I have NBC now for as long as the law allows.

1. 3000 34th ST NW zip 32601
2. Yes
nostar is offline  
post #564 of 3461 Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Newbie
 
swmcgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In case no one had noticed....Cox is now carrying WCJB-HD in Gainesville.
swmcgator is offline  
post #565 of 3461 Old 09-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Newbie
 
liquidjobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got a TV with HDTV 2 days ago and purchased the Cox HDTV box because I'm already using them as my internet and phone provider. I was wondering if there is anyway I can get Fox in HDTV while still keeping Cox as my cable provider. I am a huge baseball fan and would like to be able to watch the World Series in HD.

I also just read something about NBC HD not being carried by Cox after this month...is this true?
liquidjobe is offline  
post #566 of 3461 Old 09-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Member
 
skaterdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anybody post on the type of display they are using and how it performs with Cox digital and HD feed as far as picture quality and reception. I am also interested in the 50 in Vizio Plasma from Sam's if there are any owners of this set please post your input.
Thanks
skaterdad is offline  
post #567 of 3461 Old 09-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Newbie
 
brutusbuck45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My prayers have finally been answered... ABC has finally arrived in HD in GNV. Unfortunatetly it is two weeks late (Ohio St. v. Texas). But better late then never. Next, FOX would be great for Sunday games.
brutusbuck45 is offline  
post #568 of 3461 Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Snarler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidjobe View Post

Hi, I just got a TV with HDTV 2 days ago and purchased the Cox HDTV box because I'm already using them as my internet and phone provider. I was wondering if there is anyway I can get Fox in HDTV while still keeping Cox as my cable provider. I am a huge baseball fan and would like to be able to watch the World Series in HD.

I also just read something about NBC HD not being carried by Cox after this month...is this true?

Good luck with Fox. Doesn't appear that 51 is going the HD route anytime soon (they've said "within this fiscal year" which I believe gives them til Sept of next year at which time they'll say they need another year.) antennaweb doesn't list any digital Fox networks other than 51.1, so it doesn't sound like you can pick up another cities HD Fox from here via OTA (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm sure you will )

As for NBC...sounds like Cox and WESH are having a pissing contest, and Cox did the legal thing of notifying it's customers 30 days in advance (at least that's my guess as to why they put the notice in the paper) that they may drop the HD channel if some agreement isn't made. The discussion about ABC being added mentioned something like ABC and Cox have a 3 year agreement which came up this year, and it took them about a year to hammer out the details of letting ABC HD into the lineup, so let's hope NBC and Cox have been working together for a while now
Snarler is offline  
post #569 of 3461 Old 09-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Snarler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdad View Post

Can anybody post on the type of display they are using and how it performs with Cox digital and HD feed as far as picture quality and reception. I am also interested in the 50 in Vizio Plasma from Sam's if there are any owners of this set please post your input.
Thanks

I have a 60something rear projection Toshiba I got on the cheap and love it. There was a DLP that size at Rexx for 2G's this past week...sale probably ended though...came with a stand too...
Snarler is offline  
post #570 of 3461 Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 PM
 
saxonww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got Cox service with one of the Westinghouse 42w2 panels as my monitor. I have the 8000HD DVR box.

I am happy with the pq on all of the channels I can watch.

I am currently missing 9 or 10 non-HD channels including ABC and FOX and I have been missing them for over a week. I get a 'Not Authorized' message when I try to view the affected channels. The phone menu refresh signal, technician-triggered refresh signal, technician-triggered reboot signal (which doesn't reboot the box) and unplug/replug all fail to restore the missing channels. A technician was supposed to be out yesterday but never showed (or never left any indication that a visit was attempted).

The crazy thing is that I lost these channels before ABC HD came online. I have ABC HD now - but the missing channels are still missing.

There is no HD FOX and FOX is one of the standard channels that I am missing. Now I read that WESH NBC HD may be unavailable past the end of the month. Kind of disappointing, especially since football was a major motivator for the HD panel purchase.
saxonww is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off