Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 3461 Old 01-04-2007, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ahem, I "moved" to Ocala and kept my G'ville address as a billing address.

Presto, I get all the locals in SD and HD.

It's very easy.

Another trick suggested to me is to scour the classifieds for a very old, broken down RV and buy it for the title. There was one for sale for $200 in Bell recently that I saw. You'd get the title and register it and fax the RV Waiver to DirecTV with a copy of the registration and you'll be able to get the distant locals in HD and SD east and west (east only on HD). My neighbor did this successfully.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 05:15 AM

So if you live in Ocala then DirecTV is allowed to give you Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS in HD?

I'm guessing this only works with self install. They might notice if you ask them to install the dish in a different city.

DirecTV is going to get 500 calls this weekend from people who just moved from Gainesville to Ocala.
post #813 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 AM

I do live in Gainesville and I was turned down on the waiver. I have had Directv since the 90s and have waivers for CBS & NBC

If you get the RV waiver, then you do not get the 2 local Florida sports channels. Sunshine and I believe it is Florida Fox Sports.

I finally received WOGX last night by outside antenna in the air about 12'. The signal is not strong enough to run through my Directv HD DVR box but only directly to my Sony LCD HD tv.

Also my Directv HD DVR box reports signal in the 90s for CBS but will not show a picture always reports searching for signal. Any idea about problem? When run directly to tv it works fine.
post #814 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 06:37 AM

The WOGX via antenna is not HD though. That's good to know about Sunshine and Fox Sports. That sucks. Lots of Gator basketball games on those channels.
post #815 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Nice to hear that FOX in Ocala is finally going HD, and hopefully before the Gator game on Monday night. Just wondering if the spotty signal strength for the Fox DT channel will it improve or is it going to keep going from 65% to 75% (that is highest I've been able to pull it in in Gainesville on the SW side of town by Haile with my OTA attic mounted attenna. Though I do get CBS, and ABC, and PBS at a 100% signal strength.

Just wondering is the FOX DT tower low powered like CBS 4 in Gainesville use to be till there high powered DT tower went live a few months back?
post #816 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 07:13 AM

Good to see the Gainesville Sun article regarding the game not being in HD. Maybe this will motivate these guys to get this done in time for the game.
post #817 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM

It's Friday - I still have no HD feed from Fox through my QAM filter - only CBS and ABC.

Where is the article in the Gainesville Sun?
post #818 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 AM

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs...105004/-1/news

SA 8300HD PVR w/ SARA 1.88.19.1 Provider: Cox NCF.
post #819 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 AM

post #820 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 AM

WOGX is pathetic, and Cox isn't much better. I don't get the impression that Cox is to blame for this episode, but they've certainly had their moments.
post #821 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguy2447 View Post

Nice to hear that FOX in Ocala is finally going HD, and hopefully before the Gator game on Monday night. Just wondering if the spotty signal strength for the Fox DT channel will it improve or is it going to keep going from 65% to 75% (that is highest I've been able to pull it in in Gainesville on the SW side of town by Haile with my OTA attic mounted attenna. Though I do get CBS, and ABC, and PBS at a 100% signal strength.

Just wondering is the FOX DT tower low powered like CBS 4 in Gainesville use to be till there high powered DT tower went live a few months back?

I don't think so, I think it's just the distance. I live in the same area as you and from where I'm at the FOX tower is 21mi away and WGFL is about half that and I get roughly the same signal strength most of the time.
post #822 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

I wouldn't be surprised if Cox picks up a national Fox HD feed for the game since WOGX is owned by the Fox Corporation this should not be a problem, and from reading the Gainesville Sun article for today 1-5-07 the WOGX Manager said " We are currently working with local cable providers to identify alternative solutions so that Gainesville area viewers will be able to see the BCS game in HD," he wrote."

Looks like if you only have an OTA antenna you will not get the game in HD unless by some stroke of luck WOGX is up and running in HD by Monday.
post #823 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguy2447 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Cox picks up a national Fox HD feed for the game since WOGX is owned by the Fox Corporation this should not be a problem, and from reading the Gainesville Sun article for today 1-5-07 the WOGX Manager said " We are currently working with local cable providers to identify alternative solutions so that Gainesville area viewers will be able to see the BCS game in HD," he wrote."

Looks like if you only have an OTA antenna you will not get the game in HD unless by some stroke of luck WOGX is up and running in HD by Monday.

I'm preparing for both I'm having about 20-25 people over and am planning on, in addition to the front projector in the living room, bringing in another one for the back porch and bringing out my bedroom TV for the den, which is pretty much teh far side of the living room. I only have two HD boxes and two stand-alone tuner options though, so I'm hoping we get both!!!!
post #824 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 AM

I was just on the Directv web site and then on the phone with Directv. Directv reports on web site and on the phone that my Gainesville address has a "Digital (HD) Distant Network Service FOX WOGX-DT Grade A (strong signal) ". I told Directv that this was impossible because WOGX did not broadcast in HD. They said they would look into it, but still it was WOGX that had denied my wavier not Directv.

What is WOGX's problem? Why do they say they have something that they do not?
post #825 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylynne View Post

Directv reports on web site and on the phone that my Gainesville address has a "Digital (HD) Distant Network Service FOX WOGX-DT Grade A (strong signal) ". I told Directv that this was impossible because WOGX did not broadcast in HD.

Digital does not mean HD. WOGX does broadcast a digital signal, but it's SD.
post #826 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

WOGX does broadcast a digital signal, but the signal at least for Gainesville is not "Grade A (strong Signal). The Grade A signal "strong signal must protain to the Ocala area.
post #827 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rfreak View Post

So if you live in Ocala then DirecTV is allowed to give you Fox, NBC, ABC, and CBS in HD?

I'm guessing this only works with self install. They might notice if you ask them to install the dish in a different city.

DirecTV is going to get 500 calls this weekend from people who just moved from Gainesville to Ocala.

Yes, Ocala is part of the Orlando/Daytona Beach DMA markets, so you'll get all those stations about 10 of them, including HDs.

Doesn't have to be self install -- you just tell them you moved to Ocala and need to change your address and get the locals for the new area you're in. The CSR punches in the new address and presto, you have locals for the area. It took 10-15 minutes and was painless. You just tell them you want to keep G'ville as your billing address.

I know it's a bit dishonest, but I wanted my locals in HD badly enough.

Ray
post #828 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylynne View Post

If you get the RV waiver, then you do not get the 2 local Florida sports channels. Sunshine and I believe it is Florida Fox Sports.

I'm not sure that's the case anymore - the neighbor gets the local sports channels - Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida. He was watching the Liberty basketball game the other day.

As for CBS - have you tried resetting/rebooting your receiver?

Ray
post #829 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM

and also, do you just make up an address in Ocala to give them?
post #830 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
for what it's worth. . .

I just called the Fox51 customer service number listed on the website and asked about the progress on the Gainesville HD project. I got the most uninterested response of all time. Here it is (paraphrased)

Me: Hello, I am wondering if you plan to provide an HD signal to Gainesville customers through either Cox Cable or any other method. If so, will in be in time for the BCS National Championship Game on Monday.

Him: We're not sure of the status of HD in Gainesville right now.

Me: Could you possible put me in contact with someone who does know the status?

Him: No one is sure if and when we will be providing HD service to the Gainesville area.

Me: *Click*

Geez, he could have at least tried! I'm sure someone knows! This is quite frustrating.
post #831 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 01:35 PM

From the station manager an hour ago

Quote:

While we are making progress in our efforts to permanently bring HD to WOGX, this equipment will not be functional in time for Monday's game. We are currently working with local cable providers to identify alternative solutions so that Gainesville-area viewers will be able to see the BCS game in HD.

post #832 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that sucks bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penleydr View Post

post #833 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 02:50 PM

this is an email I received from Cox today, I got the one from WOGX also but someone already posted it.

Dear Drew:

Thank you for your e-mail.

As I am sure you are aware, our Fox affiliate, WOGX, does not currently
produce an HD signal. It is our understanding that the management of
WOGX has been given the approval to create an HD signal and the process
is underway; however, they do not anticipate that the signal will be
available by the January 8th BCS national championship game. Currently
there is no video service provider in this market that can deliver a Fox
HD signal. Additionally, Cox and Fox WOGX are working cooperatively to
complete a secure digital transmission over a fiber optic line before
January 8th that will enhance the WOGX signal on the regular lineup.

We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you
requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to
you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you.

Felecia

Cox Communications Online Customer Care Team
post #834 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM

I think I just moved to Ocala.

They didn't need a fiber optic line to improve the SD signal. A $20 antenna would do that.
post #835 of 3461 Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, since I will not be able to get an HD feed...I guess I will just go to the game.
post #836 of 3461 Old 01-06-2007, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penleydr View Post

Quote:
While we are making progress in our efforts to permanently bring HD to WOGX, this equipment will not be functional in time for Monday's game. We are currently working with local cable providers to identify alternative solutions so that Gainesville-area viewers will be able to see the BCS game in HD.

Well, the "alternative solutions" sounds somewhat encouraging. Maybe they plan to allow Cox to pipe in the national feed directly somehow -- something equivalent to the DirectTV feed?
post #837 of 3461 Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Been gone for the last week or so and haven't checked this thread since. Hope you all had an enjoyable holiday. Had a few posts I wanted to respond to and figured I'd hit them all at once - so apologies if this post gets a bit long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

The thing people should keep in mind is that Gainesville is about the smallest television market in the southeast.

I understand your point about the TV market, and I'm honestly a little surprised at how far down the list Gainesville is. But I'd be more interested in how much total revenue Cox makes from this market. Customers in Gainesville pay just as much as the customers in Tampa. I'm sure that if you also include all the students/customers that have Cox as an ISP and/or a VoIP provider then we'd at least beat Anchorage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj41 View Post

I just picked up a HD receiver and I noticed there is a DVI out. Does using this over component mean better PQ? I haven't heard any programs using 1080p yet, so will connecting to DVI make any difference for "standard HD" programming?

There is no noticable difference between component and DVI/HDMI that I've ever seen. People seem to think that going with the digital connection means that there is no converting signal but the fact is that regardless of connection, the signal gets converted one way or another.

Interference is usually a wash as well as you're not going to get any with component unless you're wrapping the cable around, say, a subwoofer or running it around flourescent lights or something. You will need HDMI for true 1080p on BRD but as far as a cable box or satellite box goes, there isn't really any upgrade in PQ from component to DVI/HDMI.

It's really up to you, though. I have HDMI on my DVD player simply because I was running out of component inputs on my receiver (PS2 and DVR hooked up now) and wanted to see if there was a difference - which there wasn't. If you go with HDMI or DVI you should definitely shop around. Getting a $6 cable online (which I did) will be the same as a $120 Monster cable. All the gold plating and shielding doesn't mean a thing with a digital signal - it either arrives or it doesn't. No degraded signal in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapeno View Post

Good to see the Gainesville Sun article regarding the game not being in HD. Maybe this will motivate these guys to get this done in time for the game.

It shouldn't have come to this in order to get FOX in HD here. Cox should be a little more proactive in feeding HD signals to their HD markets. They bumbled around with WCJB last year amidst the Super Bowl, failing to deliver signal in time for the game and it looks like the same thing with FOX this year. Plenty of times in this thread I've stated how frustrating it is that we have so few options to watch football (mainly NFL) in HD here.

Fiesta Bowl: FOX-SD
Orange Bowl: FOX-SD
Sugar Bowl: FOX-SD
Championship: FOX-SD

KC vs. INDY: NBC-SD
DAL vs. SEA: NBC-SD
NYJ vs. NE: CBS-HD (yay!)
NYG vs. PHI: FOX-SD

So that's four major NCAA bowl games and four opening-round NFL playoff games. Eight great football games total and only one that we can see in HD. Sad.

Again, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to respond to previous posters. Cheers and here's to hoping we'll be able to watch the '07 football season in HD.

-commiecat
post #838 of 3461 Old 01-06-2007, 11:43 AM

The FOX picture using the Cox signal looks very poor on my Sony V series. Does anyone know if the using the OTA signal would look better.

Thanks.
post #839 of 3461 Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM

the fox picture on any series looks crappy, fox is just crappy. some people say the OTA signal is better, I dont see too much of a difference.
post #840 of 3461 Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM

WOGX OTA looks marginally better for me. It has to - it's not being captured, processed and re-transmitted by Cox.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page