post #1081 of 3461 Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMike View Post

Let's see, where do I start? Your profile says you live in NY, you're on a Gainesville, FL HDTV thread, and you're cheering on the Criminoles?

Some people just can't get enough 7-6.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3461 Old 03-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know why Cox is blacking out ACC Tourney on ESPN2?
post #1083 of 3461 Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Ugh, of all the stations why did the SEC get stuck with FOX, the worst network in history?

Let's see here, the SEC game right now is the ONLY game in SD while all the other games are in HD, and our godawful FOX affiliate as usual is having problems and we have no sound on the channel.

FOX and WOGX, I can't count the number of ways I hate you so.

post #1084 of 3461 Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Ugh, of all the stations why did the SEC get stuck with FOX, the worst network in history?

Let's see here, the SEC game right now is the ONLY game in SD while all the other games are in HD, and our godawful FOX affiliate as usual is having problems and we have no sound on the channel.

FOX and WOGX, I can't count the number of ways I hate you so.

I have it on 723 but NO audio and called Cox and they are working with station to fix issue. Picture great and I guess I listen to Mic and Wise. They are better than LF announcers.
post #1085 of 3461 Old 03-11-2007, 11:09 AM

Uh, anyone else not getting the SEC championship game in HD?

Nevermind, just switched to HD 4 min into the game.
post #1086 of 3461 Old 03-11-2007, 08:20 PM

I'm sure glad the NCAA tournament is on CBS....Now if only our Gainesville stations can get the HD signal perfect next time we are on (Friday). I think they will get it right.. .and atleast we were only without HD for 4 minutes of todays game, so it could have been worse.

Great game,Gators....hope they keep it up!
post #1087 of 3461 Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Just a quick note about antennas for people visiting the forum.

HDTV, digital and analog television signals are all the same as far as your antenna is concerned. There are only UHF and VHF television antennas. There is no such thing as an HDTV antenna except as a marketing ploy.

If an antenna doesn't work well for analog reception, it won't work well for digital reception either (and vice versa).

People do seem confused when the digital picture looks very good but it will look exactly the same on an adequate antenna as it does on a great antenna. The difference for digital is that the picture will be much less likely to freeze up or drop out if the signal level at your location drops a little for any reason.

Checking the analog reception capabilities of a given antenna is also a good gauge of it's digital reception abilities.

Just a little info help keep people from buying into good marketing over good products.
post #1088 of 3461 Old 03-16-2007, 08:29 PM

I don't understand why tonight's game is not in HD...can anyone explain? Even the announcers said "This game brought to you in HD", but CBS4 had the scroller saying they were not getting an HD feed..WTF???
post #1089 of 3461 Old 03-16-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbwiz View Post

I'm sure glad the NCAA tournament is on CBS....Now if only our Gainesville stations can get the HD signal perfect next time we are on (Friday). I think they will get it right.. .and atleast we were only without HD for 4 minutes of todays game, so it could have been worse.

Great game,Gators....hope they keep it up!

I guess I was wrong, IT IS WORSE THAN LAST TIME for the first round of ncaa tourney,.....NO HD FEED AT ALL!

I wonder if this is New York's cbs studio fault or the Gainesville CBS TV station fault??
post #1090 of 3461 Old 03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Well considering that even when they switched to the other games at halftime they were in SD, while my buddy in Tampa had HD I'm going to guess the ole' Gville coming through once again.

post #1091 of 3461 Old 03-17-2007, 08:10 AM

Hey guys..not sure how true this is, but I remember reading on one of the Gator message boards that the Gainesville station elected to receive a feed that would not cut away to other games. I was actually suprised that it wasn't in HD, but I was also suprised that they never sent us to "look in" on other games. Apparently, the only way this can be done is via SD. So, to me it looks like CBS4 made the tradeoff to receive game in its entirety, at the expense of the HD viewers. I still don't understand why they couldn't broadcast the HD feed on 28.1 and the "non interrupted" game on 28.2 in SD.
post #1092 of 3461 Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilobravo3 View Post

Hey guys..not sure how true this is, but I remember reading on one of the Gator message boards that the Gainesville station elected to receive a feed that would not cut away to other games. I was actually suprised that it wasn't in HD, but I was also suprised that they never sent us to "look in" on other games. Apparently, the only way this can be done is via SD. So, to me it looks like CBS4 made the tradeoff to receive game in its entirety, at the expense of the HD viewers. I still don't understand why they couldn't broadcast the HD feed on 28.1 and the "non interrupted" game on 28.2 in SD.

So the question becomes, if this is true, who do we voice our opinions to on their choice in order to possibly influence a future decision?
post #1093 of 3461 Old 03-17-2007, 03:51 PM

kilobravo is right about the choice faced by the local CBS station. Either an HD feed that would cut away to other games or a constant SD feed. I think they made the right choice.
post #1094 of 3461 Old 03-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayburn View Post

kilobravo is right about the choice faced by the local CBS station. Either an HD feed that would cut away to other games or a constant SD feed. I think they made the right choice.

I don't. As kilo suggested they should have shown the HD feed on the HD channel and the SD feed on the SD channel. They are doing a disservice to all the people who have spent the money and time purchasing and installing HD equipment such as televisions and receivers and pay extra (possibly) for HD plans from their provider, if they do not show as much HD programming as possible on the HD channel.

As it is, I chose not to watch the game because since it was in SD I just recorded it to my ReplayTV on the regular channel and did something else, found out the score, and decided not to watch the game.
post #1095 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 07:00 AM

Any idea when G'ville/Ocala will get NBC, as well as other HD channels on Cox?
post #1096 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:

This is the wrong choice. I don't know why HD viewers must suffer? The best option for everyone would have been to recieve the "interupted" CBS feed, so HD viewers could atleast see most of the GATOR game in HD. And if you want to continue watching the GATOR game (if it is interupted), then tune into CBS sportline.com, to watch the game via the internet!

This would be a little inconvenient for all of us, but all HD viewers would agree on this. Unfortunately, many people probably still lack an HD television set.

So, I really hope all of this "Uninterupted SD CBS" issue is false..
Let's all cross our fingers that todays(Sunday2:15pm) game is in HD.
post #1097 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:

No, it was definitely the wrong choice! Are you really saying you'd rather have the game in SD than have them cut away for about 1 minute of game time (in the first half) to have a couple quick live look-ins on other games? I'd rather them cut-in than not so I can see what's going on in the other games, provided of course its a non-critical time in the UF game (and CBS usually does a good job of this).

Why can't they just broadcast the HD feed on their HD channel and the uninterrupted SD feed on the SD channel?

Today's game had better be in HD! And if that means getting the end of a close UVA-Tenn game instead of tipoff of ours, that's fine -- I'd rather watch the last couple minutes of a close game than have them cut away for tipoff anyway!
post #1098 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarner62 View Post

Today's game had better be in HD! And if that means getting the end of a close UVA-Tenn game instead of tipoff of ours, that's fine -- I'd rather watch the last couple minutes of a close game than have them cut away for tipoff anyway!

TBH, I could care less about UVA or Ten, or any other games for that matter, it's just so annoying watching the final minute of their game while missing out on the FL game. They can use little notifications on side of the screen with their scores. I don't want to miss a second of our game. I'd rather they have the whole FL game in HD and cut off other games in time for our tipoff. After watching games in HD, I just can't stand watching games in SD anymore.
post #1099 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

And as for their "decision" to use the SD feed to show the game in its entirety, it didn't work, because we missed a good portion of the first quarter of the game (first half of the first half...yes I know NCAA basketball games aren't split into quarters ) as they showed the end of the Tennessee game. All the while in SD.
post #1100 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Go Gators!! They win again despite not being in HD for the 2nd time !
WTF! NO HD FEED AGAIN ! There is no reason for Gainesville CBS to screw us out of an HD feed. Our game was still interupted at the beginning and we had an SD feed instead of an HD feed. Now after our game ends, they conveniently put the Memphis and then the Kentucky-Kansas game in HD.
This makes no sense at all!! anyone else with any theories?

It's gonna suck about as bad as the NC football championship in SD if we don't get an HD feed in the Sweet 16 rounds and later. So as long as the Gators win, we get SD instead of HD....Unbelievable!
post #1101 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

And as for their "decision" to use the SD feed to show the game in its entirety, it didn't work, because we missed a good portion of the first quarter of the game (first half of the first half...yes I know NCAA basketball games aren't split into quarters ) as they showed the end of the Tennessee game. All the while in SD.

Yeah, not only did we not get HD again, but they didn't show the game in its entirety which was the reason they claimed for the SD broadcast! Now, I'm glad we got to see the end of the UVA-Tenn game, especially after I realized that I couldn't get that game on MMOD because it was the game scheduled for our region. But if they're going to break away, why not show it in HD!

And also when our game ended, they showed Wisconsin's and SIU's game also in SD until the next tipoff -- what's with that? The Florida game was over so why not switch back to HD. Their reasoning makes no sense at all!

Me and all my friends (who were over at my place explicitly because I have HD!) all called WGFL and left angry messages with their programming director. I suggest you all do the same so that we don't get screwed over again on Friday! There will be 2 games on simultaneously again then. You can call them at 352-375-5300 or submit e-mail through a form on their website.
post #1102 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that Cox has recently pulled FSN Florida, chan 72 from their lineup? WTF is up with that?
post #1103 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that Cox has recently pulled FSN Florida, chan 72 from their lineup? WTF is up with that?

Definitely a great point observing 72 missing! . And I just noticed that today as well. This is a big blow at the wrong time as well . Because after these great Gator victories, they usually show coaches and player postgame interviews on this channel.
So we are definitely missing out of all of the great GATOR coverage of our sporting events.
post #1104 of 3461 Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pissing contest again...I *think* I saw a note about that in the paper and maybe even reported on it in this thread at some point lol...I'll search in a minute...

Found it...my post was on 12/31/06 and said I saw the notice that day. Usually they put the notices in about 30 days in advance since they have to give that much warning before yanking a channel, so at least they tried a little longer this time before pulling it.
post #1105 of 3461 Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM

Sorry but I don't know how to post the links that I found explaining the way CBS makes HD games available. The info is within the AVS forum if you search for it.

To simplify the information I found:
CBS obviously can't provide SD and HD versions of all games of local interest to all the stations in the country. For some strange reason there are some people in this country who are fans of the other teams too.

CBS has two feeds. A "flex" feed and a "constant" feed. If the local station is assigned a "constant" feed, because it is the game of local interest, then they will have to upconvert and not have HDTV even though all the games are produced in HDTV. The "constant" feed was an SD feed. The "flex" feed is HDTV and is used by CBS to provide a more general coverage of the tournament. The flex feed may start on one game and switch to a different, more interesting game at CBS's discretion. When they switch, to what game, how often etc. is determined on the fly by CBS depending on how the games are going so there is no way in advance to predict what will be on the "flex" feed.

As another member had mentioned, there is the possibility to air the flex on HD and the constant feed on SD. If CBS did leave the UF game, viewers could still go to the analog channel if they wanted to get back to the UF game. The problem there is that most CBS stations, even in the top markets, don't have the capability to completely separate these two things. They essentially similcast the HDTV feed so having two separate things isn't technically possible except in a handful of top market stations.

The CBS in Orlando (market 19) did not have HDTV versions of these games either. If a TV station in one of the top markets in the county can't do two separate feeds, it seems unreasonable to expect a station in one of the smallest markets to be able to do it.

Because they can't do two different feeds at the same time then even analog fans would have been affected if they took the "flex" feed and it went to anther game halfway through. Turns out that not having HDTV of these UF games was the only reasonable option for our local CBS if you care to check the facts.

I don't know that our CBS is even allowed to take the "flex" feed when they are assigned the "constant" feed. I didn't check on this as it would be stupid for them to even consider it here in Gainesville.

The good news is that now that there are fewer teams the chances of the remaining UF games being HDTV "constant" are much better.
post #1106 of 3461 Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Me and all my friends (who were over at my place explicitly because I have HD!) all called WGFL and left angry messages with their programming director. I suggest you all do the same so that we don't get screwed over again on Friday! There will be 2 games on simultaneously again then. You can call them at 352-375-5300 or submit e-mail through a form on their website.

Umm... you might owe some programming director an apology. Check the Orlando forum before you get angry and make sure it's not just a Gainesville thing.
post #1107 of 3461 Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post

Umm... you might owe some programming director an apology. Check the Orlando forum before you get angry and make sure it's not just a Gainesville thing.

Ummm...no we don't owe anybody an apology. Our interface with CBS is our local affiliate. They can feel free to pass on our complaints to whoever in their organization is best equipped to handle them appropriately. I personally don't wish to learn CBS's entire organization and hierarchy and business practices and who is responsible for making those practices just to register a complaint. The contact us info on their website gave contact info to comment on programming, so that's what I did. Personally, it doesn't matter to me who in their chain of people and/or companies is responsible for the ridiculous policies they come up with, just that they fix it.

I think it is a poor business practice for CBS not to send an HD feed for each game to the local areas of interest involved in each game (i.e. if UF is playing FSU, you should send the HD feed to the Gainesville and Tallahassee markets) but hey, what do I know, I'm just a consumer.
post #1108 of 3461 Old 03-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Turns out that not having HDTV of these UF games was the only reasonable option for our local CBS if you care to check the facts.

Could you be any more condescending? Next you'll be blaming us for CBS's poor business choices.
post #1109 of 3461 Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler View Post

I think it is a poor business practice for CBS not to send an HD feed for each game to the local areas of interest involved in each game (i.e. if UF is playing FSU, you should send the HD feed to the Gainesville and Tallahassee markets) but hey, what do I know, I'm just a consumer.

I certainly don't mean to be condesending. CBS provides multiple feeds to local areas of interest where some other networks only offer a single feed of the game of their choice.

CBS does seem to offer the most options for local interest feeds so complaining about it seemed inappropriate to me. Just my opinion is all.

I personlly don't think complaints aren't warranted unless a service or product preforms poorly to comparable services or products. CBS seems to offer more options for local interest and the local affiliate seemed to be following suit with top market stations. I saw no reason for complaint is all.
post #1110 of 3461 Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I saw no reason for complaint is all.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease. While they might be doing what other providers are doing, that doesn't mean we shouldn't let them know how they are falling short of the customers' expectations.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page