Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3461 Old 04-02-2005, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pegasusuck turned the CBS DT/HD channel back on last on at 28.1 probably for the NCAA final four tonight. Will posted an update should it get turned off Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3461 Old 04-04-2005, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

WGFL added an HDTV link back to there website and a nice write up about how there were the first channel in Gainesville to go HD..
post #93 of 3461 Old 04-17-2005, 06:21 PM

Anyone notice that WUFT now has another subchannel? 36-3. Its standard def, but its totally diferent programming than on the other two subchannels
post #94 of 3461 Old 04-17-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I noticed the new channel 36-03 on Thursday I think. The content on the channel was something international when I saw it.

For WGFL they finally add names to the channels 28-01 and 28-02. 28-01 now shows CBS4 and 28-02 now shows up with the name UPN1. Still no HD UPN yet.
post #95 of 3461 Old 04-17-2005, 11:56 PM

There probably wont be an HD UPN until they start making the class A stations go digital. You can only put one HD channel up on a channel since a stations only have 20mps of bandwidth and a HD channel alone takes up about 15 mps. (i have no clue how WUFT has managed to squeeze 2 SD channels and one HD channel on there) What I would think be a good idea is when WGFL runs some of the UPN stuff late at night and on weekends; they ought to use an HD tivo unit so they can play those in HD, both cbs and upn are 1080i
post #96 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 12:01 AM

I think 36-3 is PBS-you channel. I can confirm they are running that channel at night as that. PBS-you is on dish network channel 9402
post #97 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

I think once WGFL moves to the new high powered digital tower, then they will start broadcasting UPN in HD on the low powered digital tower that they are currently using for CBS4 HD broadcasting.

I finally watched the PBS HD channel for more than 5 minutes last night. I watched the Mega Structures series.
post #98 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Is WBFL (the WB channel) a cable only channel? I looked up the information for this channel and it is say channel 53, but on channel 53 the CBS 4 programming comes via WGFL, which also owns WBFL.

I cannot find WBFL when doing a channel scan so I'm thinking you need COX to get this channel?
post #99 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Hello all.

I'm in NW Gainesville, and according to antennaweb, I'm the following distances away from the following digital TV stations...
PBS - 1.6
CBS - 3.4
FOX - 23.2
ABC - 10.7

From glancing at this thread, it sounds like a good internal antenna can pick these up (the Silver Sensor which is also a Gemini from Amazon?) and the ABC really isn't HD until August?

Also, I assume I need a tuner of some kind to go with the antenna...any recommendations?

Or am I really off base

--
Daniel
post #100 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Well one nice thing about the gainesville market and your location is that all the digital channels in the gainseville market are in UHF, so you will have no need for VHF antennas. I live in citrus county and i have the silver sensor and it is great, but it is very directional. For where you live, it seems like u may need a more conventional loop antenna because the stations are in diferent locations. One nice thing is that you only live 3.5 miles for CBS tower, which is good because thier digital tower is very low power, and for most people that means using a directional antenna. If I had recommendation, the silver sensor is the clearly the best antenna, but u might have to move it to get channels from diferent locations. If you an antenna that is multidirectional so that u dont have to move it, probably a highly amplified indoor RCA antenna will do you good. Whatever u do though, AVOID TERK ANTENNAS LIKE THE PLAGUE!!
post #101 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 02:31 PM

WBFL, the WB on cable for gainesville does have a tower, but its a low power low based in Valdosta Georgia. Another thing i noticed is now that Pegasus has a construction permit for a low powered translator station in reddick going up. I have no clue what is gonna be on it, but it will be a rebroadcast of another station, and i dont know if its analog or digital. http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=W08EA
post #102 of 3461 Old 04-18-2005, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

I tired the Silver sensor antenna and I wasn't able to pull in a fix signal that stayed fixed. I also had alot of multi path issues where if a person walked in the same room as the antenna the signal dropped. So I ended up with an outdoor antenna mounted in my attic with a signal booster. Now I have no issues unless WGFL is having problems!!

Hopefully the $20-$25 dollars silver sensor antenna will work out for you.
By the way I live on the south side of town, off of tower road here.

You will need an over-the-air HD tuner to pull in the off air DT and HD signals if your HD TV doesn't have an over-the-air HD tuner built in.

Or if your a Direct TV customer or Dish Network customer your Sat receiver might already have the built in over-the-air HD tuner.
In my case I'm a Dish Network Customer and I'm using my 811 HD receiver by Dish to get Dish HD and all the free local HD and DT programing.
post #103 of 3461 Old 05-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all of the info. I'm not a HD owner yet, I've told myself to wait until the four major networks are all easily available in HD in Gainesville. Its good to hear ABC may be online in August.
post #104 of 3461 Old 05-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Has anyone been able to get hd fox or abc from orlando/jacksonville/tampa? It doesn't even list any hd fox or abc channels on antenna web (which is not very encouraging) when I type in a search from my house, but people have said that you ought to be able to do it. Wondering if that's really the case or what I might be doing wrong on that website. Thanks.
post #105 of 3461 Old 05-05-2005, 11:54 PM

Depends on where you are at. If you are in northern Alachua county (waldo) and got a decent VHF antenna, you could get ABC and NBC HD out of jacksonville. Orlando is tough to get anywhere from the Gainesville DMA, analog NBC channel 2 was possible because thier tower was in deltona, unfortuneatly thier digital one is down in Bithlo. I live in north citrus county, and i can only get WTSP CBS HD, only because it is in holiday fl, while the rest of the tampa channels are in riverview
post #106 of 3461 Old 05-23-2005, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't had any luck picking up JAX OTA stations. Did try to get the JAX HD FOX had no luck. You need be close to waldo or Stark to pick them up. As for Orlando OTA, Orlando is too far away from Gainesville to pick anything up.
post #107 of 3461 Old 05-24-2005, 03:16 PM

I live just north of campus near 13 Street. I have my Sharp LCD-TV connected to a cheap Terk HDTVi ($40 at Best Buy). I live in the second floor of a three story building and I have my antenna facing upward on top of the box by the window. That seems to give me the best reception. Here's what I see:

28... 65-68% signal strength
CBS on 28.1... great HD when they use it
UPN on 28.2... does anyone know if they ever have HD on this station?

31... 70-72% signal strength... but it refuses the pull in the station. Sharp claims the problem is with WOGX's PSIP coding. WOGX originally claimed the problem was with my ATSC tuner, but I haven't been able to get back in touch with them since then. Can anyone else receive the broadcast from WOGX? Any suggestions for how to get it on my TV?

36... 84-86% signal strength
PBS on 36.1
PBS-HD on 36.2... this is the only all day HD broadcast.
PBS? on 36.3

Antennaweb shows ABC on channel 16 starting in August. I hope they don't have the same problems as Fox. I'd really like to watch football in HD this season!

I was able to pull in ABC from JAX (25.1) on Saturday morning. I figure it was some weather thing because I don't see it anymore.
post #108 of 3461 Old 05-24-2005, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

I got the same results with the first antenna I got from best buy which was by Samsung. Then I got the sliver sensor, and finally went out and bought an outdoor antenna by Radio Shack.

I have pretty high signal with my Radio Shack antenna that is mounted in my attic.

I had too many multipath issues with the two antenna's I bought before the Radio Shack one, now with the Radio Shack antenna I have no problems.

CBS 28.1/ UPN 28.2 79%-82% <- CBS is not on a high powered tower yet->
PBS 36.1, 36.2 and 36.3 92%-93%
Fox 31 78% (works only at night) This FOX station has a signal problem!!!

Awaiting the ABC-DT/HD channel in August.

I also got some DT/HD channel at 23.1. once when it was storming, but then never got it again. (weather related)
post #109 of 3461 Old 05-26-2005, 11:26 AM

From north citrus county i can get wogx dt no problems at all. Its my strongest station, constantly pulling 84% signal strength. I can WUFT about 73% and can pull in WTSP of st pete at about 67%. I guess wogx isnt as strong from gainesville as it is from inverness
post #110 of 3461 Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 AM

You said you get WOGX. What TV and ATSC tuner are you using? I get 72% signal which should be enough, but it doesn't work. Explanations I've had:

1) WOGX PSIP signal is incorrect. Older tuner's ignore the problem, but some tuners don't. Apparently the Sharp tuner is one of the latter.

2) LC-32D5U comes with a poorly designed tuner. I've read that PSIP has been a changing standard and even now is ambiguous for broadcasters and manufacturers. It could be that the Sharp interprets the PSIP differently than what WOGX transmits. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to test this without packing up the TV and driving to another broadcast area.

3) I'm getting good signal strength, but it's a result of multi-path so the actual signal is not good enough to display. This one I doubt because I'm able to get the WOGX analog signal just fine with no static or ghosting.

I called for an RMA number yesterday. I'll have to pay a 10% restocking fee if I ship the TV back (plus the cost of shipping). I'm so sick of dealing with this issue I may just do it. (The TV has a couple other problems with pixilation and a castrated HDMI input that doesn't handle the full color pallet output from the DVD player... see my review on Cnet or Amazon).

As much as I wanted to watch football in HD this season, I think I'm going to wait until the FCC cancels all analog broadcasts. In fact, I heard on the radio yesterday that Congress is debating whether the government should pay to get digital tuners for everyone who doesn't have one. Maybe I'll take the loss now and be a leach later.
post #111 of 3461 Old 05-27-2005, 12:45 PM

Right now WOGX is not broadcasting in HD anyway. They do have a digital station, but it's not HD so you aren't really missing too much. Perhaps when they finally get HD all set up they'll fix whatever broadcast problems they have?? I guess that would be a gamble though to wait and see, then you can't send the TV back.
I've checked out your TV and see that it has a built in QAM tuner. Do you have COX cable? If you plug the coax into the TV, you may be able to get their HD stations even if you only have basic cable. I've heard some cable companies only scramble their premium stations like ESPN-HD, but the network HD channels are not. If you don't have cable, check it out at a friends house. Cox has said they will have FOX and ABC in HD as soon as those locals are broadcasting, so if you currently can get the PBS, CBS and NBC through COX with only basic cable, then it would only cost you about $13 a month or so, and you would not have to worry about over the air problems.
I'm sort of curious if COX works likes this, but I don't know anyone with a built in QAM tuner to try it out.
post #112 of 3461 Old 05-27-2005, 07:29 PM

I resolved the matter today. I returned the Sharp. I had other problems with this overrated TV... any lawyers out there that want to go after CNet and all the other propaganda arms for the electronics firms? The more I used the LC-32D5U, the more I realized that it sucked. I replaced it today with the new Samsung 30" Slimfit CRT. It was a spur of the moment purchase, but I got it at Best Buy... that means I paid too much, but I have 30 days to play with it and there's no restocking fee. The Samsung has its flaws too, but for less than half the price of the Sharp, they're easier to live with... oh, and it can tune in the virtual channel with no problem.

Here's what I wrote to BuyDig for my return:

Reasons for return - TV quality is not what I expected. There is considerable pixilation, even using a digital HDTV signal or progressive scan DVD (with analog or digital connection). Additionally, the TV's user interface is pathetic and the TV-guide "feature" is horrifically counter-intuitive and limits the set up (e.g., cannot receive analog and digital over the air broadcasts at the same time) . The HDMI connector uses one of the original (i.e., old) standards that is not capable of supporting a full RGB color pallet (0-255). This means the TV cannot produce the full grayscale range. For example, using a THX test pattern on the HDMI connection, the TV only displays 7 of the 10 black boxes. (I know the TV itself is capable of displaying all 10 because it does so with an analog signal.) Worst of all, the ATSC tuner is not capable of receiving virtual channels. (Many broadcasters are using program and system information protocol (PSIP) to broadcast on one frequency, but have the TV display their analog "brand" frequency. In my case, WOGX (Fox 51) broadcasts digitally on UHF channel 31.1, but uses the virtual channel 51.1 to match the analog UHF channel 51. Despite a strong signal (over 70%), the TV refused the display the broadcast. (I tried three different antennas!). I compared this TV side by side with a Samsung that I picked up at Best Buy today and the Samsung doesn't have the same problems as the Sharp.

By the way, I did try a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. It actually had worse reception that then Terk HDTVi. I don't know why everyone hates Terk so much. I think this little antenna is pretty good.
post #113 of 3461 Old 05-29-2005, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

The fox station WOGX is owned by the Fox Corporation, and they don't have any future plans for going HD mainly because of the amount of the money the need to invest in the HD equipment. Since the station is owned by the Fox Corporation, they will allow you to pick up there sister station from NYC, which is HD if you have Direct TV, or Dish Network (once Dish Network adds ABC,FOX, and NBC National east and west feeds in HD) I think for COX Cable they will stike a deal with COX and allow them to pick the HD feed from there Orlando station FOX 35. (I'm guessing here).

I'm leaning towards getting a Samsung HD TV here as well with the built in HD tuner. Need to replace my analog tv in my bedroom which is about to die.
post #114 of 3461 Old 05-29-2005, 06:47 PM

I think if i read it correctly, I bet you can get the all the HD channels with a QAM tuner with cox cable except for HBO and Showtime. I dont know what is going on with WOGX, I had the engineer email me several months ago, but I am going to try to blitz him again with more emails to see what is going on. Hopefully, WCJB will have thier digital station up by August. Dont expect too much from WGFL right now to go to full power, since thier owned by the bankrupt Pegasus (Pegasuck) and all thier stations are being controlled by creditors until the bankruptcy proceedings end.
post #115 of 3461 Old 06-14-2005, 01:46 PM

It seems as now, i am having the problems getting WOGX in. I can pull it in 83% as always, but it wont lock it in.
post #116 of 3461 Old 06-14-2005, 01:52 PM

ATTENTION GAINESVILLE MARKET PEOPLE!!

I have tried to email the engineer at WOGX for a bit again after recieving an email from him back in February (the content of that email is on this forum back on the first page) Since I have gotten nothing for a response, i have decided i am going to disclose the email and phone number of the engineer for WOGX. I hope people on here can send enough emails so that he will respond on the status of WOGX going HD

ADDRESS:
John P. Jones
Chief Engineer
WOGX-TV FOX 51
1551 SW 37th Ave.
Ocala, FL 34474
407-741-5166
jjone925@foxtv.com
post #117 of 3461 Old 06-22-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houselog442 View Post

Dont expect too much from WGFL right now to go to full power

I called the station and was told June 2006.

I live in Old Town some 35 miles from the tower and I am able to receive their signal most of the time.

I am using a Channel Master 4228 UHF antenna, which is mast amplified and mounted 35 ft. in the air.
post #118 of 3461 Old 06-26-2005, 12:35 PM

If I lived in Gainesville and wanted to receive NBC and ABC from Jacksonville I would try this antenna with an amp mounted 35 to 40 feet in the air. The price is right and the wind resistance is low.

No good for UHF.

I was going to try this out but signed up with Directv and receive FOX HD and NBC HD from them instead. With ABC(wcjb) going digital in the fall seemed like a waste.

Anyone know if WCJB will be HD or SD from the start?

http://www.starkelectronic.com/wya1713.htm
post #119 of 3461 Old 07-04-2005, 03:11 PM

I recently purchased a used VOOM receiver from Ebay to use for OTA. I did a channel scan and it only found WUFT on channel 36. The signal strength meter shows consistant high 80's for frequency 31 yet the receiver does not lock the channel in. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am located in SW Gainesville off Tower RD with a variety of indoor antennas in case that helps. Also the highest signal I can get for CBS 28 is in the low 40's. Do I just have to get an outdoor antenna to get this channel?
post #120 of 3461 Old 07-04-2005, 03:54 PM

RicoSuave ,

28-1 CBS is low power and will be until June 2006. You should be able to pick it up with an outside antenna. Does it come in at all with the indoor antenna?

31-1 Fox doesn't broadcast in HD so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It probably is a program and system information protocol (PSIP) problem. I had the same problem with my samsung ts360 receiver.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page