Gainesville, FL - HDTV - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 3461 Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck on the rehab Waldogtr. I have two friends that had bypass surgery recently and they are doing fantastic; a new lease on life for them.

Bill[/quote]

Thanks very much, I really feel great. Just had a couple of toys delivered to keep me busy, an Oppo 970 upconverting dvd and a Logitec Harmony remote. I've pretty much replaced 7 remotes and the movies I've watched are like seeing them for the first time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3461 Old 04-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdoefx View Post

Gads... just don't tell me that Direct-TV has local NBC on HD

--Tom

They do indeed
Available ChannelsNetwork Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel # (older receivers) HD Channel #
NBC WESH 2 944 2
CBS WKMG 6 945 6
ABC WFTV 9 946 9

PBS WCEU 15 953
CW WKCF 18 947
AZA WAU 21 896
PBS WMFE 24 948
UNI WVEN 26 949
IND WRDQ 27 950
FOX WOFL 35 951 35
TFT WOTF 43 935
IND WLCB 45 952
IND WACX 55 954
ION ION 56 255
MNT WRBW 65 955
PBS WBCC 68 957
post #1173 of 3461 Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM

anyone notice a weird slapping sound during parts of Lost last night?
post #1174 of 3461 Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 PM

Yeah that was Simon Cowell giving Sanjaya the beatdown, must have bled over from Fox.

Sorry couldn't resist.
post #1175 of 3461 Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone else having QAM issues with Cox? I seem to have lost CBS and ABC. Still get PBS at 720 and Fox at 0 though. A rescan didn't bring them back.
post #1176 of 3461 Old 04-22-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still get abc, cbs, fox, and pbs on my myhd card.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1177 of 3461 Old 04-22-2007, 07:18 PM

anyone know of a reasonable place to get a DLP repaired at? apparantly my color wheel died exactly one day after the warranty ended and samsung hasnt decided if they are going to cover it yet.
post #1178 of 3461 Old 04-23-2007, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbrunelle View Post

anyone know of a reasonable place to get a DLP repaired at? apparantly my color wheel died exactly one day after the warranty ended and samsung hasnt decided if they are going to cover it yet.

Drew, if you paid with a credit card, check with the credit card company. Alot of cards double the warranty as a service to its cardholders. If not, I hope Samsung comes through for you. They should in a situation like that. Keep pestering them.
post #1179 of 3461 Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

would a visa debit card count?
post #1180 of 3461 Old 04-24-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here tried stacking 2 CM4221 vertically? I would be the same for the DB4 also.

What I am thinking is you should get about 3db more gain similar to a CM4228 or DB8, which come stacked horizontally (side by side).

Putting on top of each other (vertical stacking) should retain about the same beam width in the horizontal plane (the beam width shown on TV antenna charts. But it should tighten the vertical beam width, looking more at the horizon (less at the sky and ground) in front of it.

The reason I am thinking this is I live in Orange Springs. The 4 Gainesville UHFs are spread out 51 degrees and I don't want to use a rotator.

- Please don't PM with any thing that could be useful to the general group.
post #1181 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 07:03 AM

Is anyone still having problems with the fox 51 OTA high def signal. Lots of pixelation and choppy video. Audio goes in and out. Have e-mailed fox but no reply. Signal strength shows at 85% so that should not be a problem.
post #1182 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I live on the north side of town and just checked it. For me tody it has strong signal strength and picture but audio dropouts every few seconds.

- Tom

?

post #1183 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbarry View Post

I live on the north side of town and just checked it. For me tody it has strong signal strength and picture but audio dropouts every few seconds.

- Tom

I've had the same thing. My signal is normally in the low to mid 70's which should be good enough. Even this morning the signal was around 80 and it was unwatchable.
post #1184 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Here is a question I have regarding OTA coverage. As grateful as I am that Fox is now being broadcast in HD, I'm puzzle as to why WOGX wouldn't be interested making sure the Gainesville area is receiving a strong digital signal? From a business stance, I would think that they would want to be sure their signal could be picked as easy as the ABC and CBS signals are in Gainesville. This way more and more of their Gainesville customer would have great viewing experience. Instead, without a high dollar antenna, the stars and moon lined up correctly, and a good wind you fight the picture and sound cutting in and out.
I live on the S.W. part of Gainesville out towards Archer. I have a fair antenna. The folks on the northern part of the county I understand are having worst reception problems.
I would think that the Gainesville market would be worth either raising the power a little, putting a repeater or whatever it takes to make the Fox viewers a little happier.
Again, thanks WOGX for providing the HD signal now, it is worth battling iffy reception.
Hopefully I'm not speaking alone.
Thanks for listening.
post #1185 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ugh...Looks like ABC upped the ante during Lost this week. Instead of audio dropouts and helicopter sounds this week we get cuts to the news and commercials in the middle of the show, audio with background music but no dialogue, and finally no picture.

One big F U to WGFL. If this were a one-time thing it would be one thing, but they've been having problems like this during Lost for TWO FRIGGIN YEARS now. Ridiculous.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing
 or the

post #1186 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It was on both HD local and cable. I finally gave up and turned it off. Hopefully it wasn't nationwide and I'll be able to instead download it.

Is Lost also shown another time each week?

- Tom

?

post #1187 of 3461 Old 04-25-2007, 09:22 PM

LOST was definitely lost by TV20(HD-ABC) this time. I wonder if the whole studio just goes home early and tapes the news early and automates the entire channel all night. If it is all automated then that might explain the problems that occur every week during the same programing time slot. Someone needs to complain to them, if anything is going to be done about it. I just tuned into the show on the non-HD channel to follow the story.

But a lost picture sounds more serious.

Maybe their automated system simply blew out...
post #1188 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker332001 View Post

Is anyone still having problems with the fox 51 OTA high def signal. Lots of pixelation and choppy video. Audio goes in and out. Have e-mailed fox but no reply. Signal strength shows at 85% so that should not be a problem.

My signal on Fox is 85, and yes I get almost as much dropouts, pixels, audio on it as I do on PBS which is around 50. Waiting for my 4221 to come in next week, in the mean time I am using what is left of my old v/u up on a 50 foot tower, but the rotor is frozen due west. One of the twin leads going to the amp is broken and about half the antenna is still there. Oh, one of my UHF corners is folded down. Never fixed it as I have DTV SD service until I bought a TV with ATSC. Now I am hooked.

Guess there are no big antenna experimenters in this group. I am hoping to not need a rotor. Mount the 4221 and see how much signal I have. Not even sure if I will ever see CBS in Orange Springs. I just want Nascar and PBS-HD which is the three strong signals to me.

Not sure there is anyone here near me either. The closest I saw post was Melrose and Keystone, which only give me a rough idea of their signal strenght.

I think what we need is a place to put our equimpent, location and signal strength. That would be handy for newbee looking to buy an antenna.

post #1189 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinbwiz View Post

LOST was definitely lost by TV20 this time. I wonder if the whole studio just goes home early and tapes the news early and automates the entire channel all night. If it is all automated then that might explain the problems

LOL, you are bringing back bad memories! I used to work or WCJB as engineer during the week and did Gator Football Network on the weekends. But that was a LONG time ago now. 20 years since I left them. So anything I know about the place is long out of date. When I quite the last thing I did was help put audio in their first Studio B.

At that time we had one engineer there until midnight to be there for the news. Yeah, back then the 11pm news was live. Three people from production in the control room, and 2 cameras. There was also a guy on the master control switcher all night. Nothing was automated, except he could cue about 5 minutes of commercials.

But it never failed, our master control guy would goof, not notice it, and the phone would ring off the hook. We could tell if that happened cause Mike the Chief would walk into work in a bad mood.

I guess my point is yeah, they either automated it late at night or the guy on master control screwed up.

post #1190 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 AM

At least it looks like it must be a WOGX problem if so many others are seeing the same issues. Hopefully they will straighten it out. I can get WAWS out of JAX most of the time but on the occasion I cannot, and it always seems to be when I really want to watch something on FOX, it would be nice for your local station to provide a decent feed. As far as TV 20 it must be a conspiracy against LOST. Every week it is something else. This week having to watch in ANALOG was almost unbearable. Never really know how spoiled you are with HD until you don't have it.
post #1191 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post

I guess my point is yeah, they either automated it late at night or the guy on master control screwed up.

The annoying thing is that either the guy on master control is the biggest goof ever and screws it up every week, or whatever automated stuff they're using during this hour only just flat out doesn't work, because something gets screwed up during Lost EVERY week now.

or the

post #1192 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 10:37 AM

I've been away for a few days, looks like nothing has changed. WOGX must be aware of the complaints but choose not to respond. I get a signal strength of about 82 percent through a rotation of over 100 degrees but cannot find the "sweet spot" because there isn't one. The length of time it took them to get HD ota doesn't make me any more optimistic.
I checked the Jax thread for any mention of problems with their ABC and "Lost", found nothing. Couldn't stay awake to watch so I recorded, (not HD but still better than cable) sounds like it may not be worth watching.
Piggie, I agree we could benefit from knowing more about each others equipment and location, I'm in Waldo (pretty obvious huh) and put a V/U combo CM3020 and rotor up mainly because I'd hoped to get NBC HD out of Jacksonville. Sorely dissapointing digital reception compared to all the analog channels that come in from Jax to Orlando and beyond, only when the clouds are low and thick while in a waning moon and holding my mouth right have I been able to get WTLV-DT. While I don't have the elevation you have (yet) I'm curious to hear how your setup works out with the 4221. I've considered changing to a 4228 but haven't done it yet.
post #1193 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 12:01 PM

I have an older (at least 10 years) CM 3671 antenna and live north of Gainesville towards LaCrosse. I usually am able to pick up 30 and 47 out of JAX fairly consistent, however 12 and 25 seem to not have as strong of a signal as the other two. Even 30 and 47 go out sometimes but rarely. 25 surprises me because it is in Orange Park but the originating signal must not be that strong. The analog signal from 25 is perfect. I do not feel good about the WOGX situation either. Took forever just to get to this point, which now is actually worse, at least you could watch the SD before.
post #1194 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I am pretty sure since one thing hasn't changed since I worked at WCJB, we are still way way down in the market share. It used to take us forever for ABC to help us modernize equipment and most of the time we carefully balance our own budgets from advertising revenue to buy new equipment when ABC turned us down.

My point is we live in a small market, and unless things have changed, when I worked there you kept the best picture on the air with what you had, and try constantly to make it better. Look I am not justifying what is going on, just trying to bring their side into perspective. I would be great if we had some current local engineers here, you would probably see it's a budget problem.

Then again, I am 20 years out of date and everything I just said could be moot.

Then again , you never know what they don't see. I had a job interview at WOGX back about 1990. They could not offer me a living wage, must less a wage for a broadcast engineer. But never the less I had a really pleasant chat for several hours with their Chief. I told him how come he has let the commercial cart run so long with a bad tape head. His face turned white and he said "you can tell OTA". I said it's obvious. I said yeah, it looks like you have some kind of beta or other cart system rotating different decks to cue commercials and you can tell when one of the comes up it has a bad tape head. He said your right, that is amazing.
So I am NOT patting my back, but they didn't even have the budget then to replace a few hundred dollar tape head and I know they offered me $8 an hour to be an engineer. That should give you an idea of at least their budget in 1990. I made double that at WCJB considering I worked a 60 hour week doing Gator games.

We live in a poor market. Not enough viewers. Not enough money. From being on the inside once, it would be that ABC and FOX should be coughing up more money to keep their image in their smaller markets than they have historically. In other words, I see the problem more as network neglect than our local boys not trying as hard as they can with what they have to work with.

But you do need to call them about them messing up your show every week. You never know that they figure not that many are watching in digital yet.

Another thing that really hurt the smaller market stations was DTV standards waved in the wind for years. No one was sure when it would all settle. Then in 2005, Bush signed the deal, setting the deadlines. This caught the smaller markets stations off guard I am sure. It's not cheap to install an entirely new transmitter, feed line and antenna on the tower. We are talking in the hundreds of thousands. Now compare that to the $200 tape head WOGX could not replace in 1990, they have come a long long way to be able to get an entire new transmitter and all the network feed equipment up with such short notice.

I remember in the 1960's when I lived in Orlando, then a small market, pre Disney. The local programming was in sync with the network. Not a lot of their equipment was in frame sync. Every time a source changed it would roll the picture or a big glitch. To add to that, when color became popular the local color phase was not the same as the network phase. I would have to get up and adjust the tint control every time almost they changed from local to network. And it was certain to need adjusting when changing channels from one color program to one on another network. Where the heck do you think NTSC got the funny attached to it meaning Never The Same Color ? lol. I always thought it was an inappropriate joke on the standard. The PAL system used in Europe was superior to our color any day of the week. The only thing I hated working on PAL equipment was I did it in the state under 60 Hz florescent lights, so the flicker would give you a headache after looking at PAL monitors for very long.

I wish WOGX would not put those gray bars on the side of the picture when showing SD programming. To me they are obnoxious, and would rather just see black.

post #1195 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker332001 View Post

I have an older (at least 10 years) CM 3671 antenna and live north of Gainesville towards LaCrosse. I usually am able to pick up 30 and 47 out of JAX fairly consistent, however 12 and 25 seem to not have as strong of a signal as the other two. Even 30 and 47 go out sometimes but rarely. 25 surprises me because it is in Orange Park but the originating signal must not be that strong. The analog signal from 25 is perfect. I do not feel good about the WOGX situation either. Took forever just to get to this point, which now is actually worse, at least you could watch the SD before.

What elevation have you got that at? I'm assuming you have it on a rotor. I've never had a hint of signal from 25, even when weather allowed me to get Tallahassee, Savannah, Daytona and Orlando. Like you, I can get 30, 47 and several other Jax stations when pointed that way, but not 12 or 25.
post #1196 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am pretty sure since one thing hasn't changed since I worked at WCJB, we are still way way down in the market share. It used to take us forever for ABC to help us modernize equipment and most of the time we carefully balance our own budgets from advertising revenue to buy new equipment when ABC turned us down.

My point is we live in a small market, and unless things have changed, when I worked there you kept the best picture on the air with what you had, and try constantly to make it better. Look I am not justifying what is going on, just trying to bring their side into perspective. I would be great if we had some current local engineers here, you would probably see it's a budget problem.

Then again, I am 20 years out of date and everything I just said could be moot.

Then again , you never know what they don't see. I had a job interview at WOGX back about 1990. They could not offer me a living wage, must less a wage for a broadcast engineer. But never the less I had a really pleasant chat for several hours with their Chief. I told him how come he has let the commercial cart run so long with a bad tape head. His face turned white and he said "you can tell OTA". I said it's obvious. I said yeah, it looks like you have some kind of beta or other cart system rotating different decks to cue commercials and you can tell when one of the comes up it has a bad tape head. He said your right, that is amazing.
So I am NOT patting my back, but they didn't even have the budget then to replace a few hundred dollar tape head and I know they offered me $8 an hour to be an engineer. That should give you an idea of at least their budget in 1990. I made double that at WCJB considering I worked a 60 hour week doing Gator games.

We live in a poor market. Not enough viewers. Not enough money. From being on the inside once, it would be that ABC and FOX should be coughing up more money to keep their image in their smaller markets than they have historically. In other words, I see the problem more as network neglect than our local boys not trying as hard as they can with what they have to work with.

But you do need to call them about them messing up your show every week. You never know that they figure not that many are watching in digital yet.

Another thing that really hurt the smaller market stations was DTV standards waved in the wind for years. No one was sure when it would all settle. Then in 2005, Bush signed the deal, setting the deadlines. This caught the smaller markets stations off guard I am sure. It's not cheap to install an entirely new transmitter, feed line and antenna on the tower. We are talking in the hundreds of thousands. Now compare that to the $200 tape head WOGX could not replace in 1990, they have come a long long way to be able to get an entire new transmitter and all the network feed equipment up with such short notice.

I remember in the 1960's when I lived in Orlando, then a small market, pre Disney. The local programming was in sync with the network. Not a lot of their equipment was in frame sync. Every time a source changed it would roll the picture or a big glitch. To add to that, when color became popular the local color phase was not the same as the network phase. I would have to get up and adjust the tint control every time almost they changed from local to network. And it was certain to need adjusting when changing channels from one color program to one on another network. Where the heck do you think NTSC got the funny attached to it meaning Never The Same Color ? lol. I always thought it was an inappropriate joke on the standard. The PAL system used in Europe was superior to our color any day of the week. The only thing I hated working on PAL equipment was I did it in the state under 60 Hz florescent lights, so the flicker would give you a headache after looking at PAL monitors for very long.

I wish WOGX would not put those gray bars on the side of the picture when showing SD programming. To me they are obnoxious, and would rather just see black.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why it happens during Lost EVERY week (often at the same exact time), and not nearly as often during other shows.

or the

post #1197 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Yeah, but that doesn't explain why it happens during Lost EVERY week (often at the same exact time), and not nearly as often during other shows.

Call everyone at the station, engineering, traffic, sales. Someone will notice.

Ask for an appointment with the General Manager. They are not unapproachable.

If it's repetitive there is something probably in automation of the network signal feeding the local transmitter.

It may well be that so few people are watch OTA from them that many departments in the station don't know about the problem. I mean when we knew of a problem in engineering, we didn't go running to the GM and Sales and tell them. We worked like mad on it before having to admit we had a problem. We often let them find the problem, if we didn't have a good answer.

Call them, I never was making excuses for them, I was trying to broaden the understanding of the other site, and I did say call in the other post also.

post #1198 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It may well be that so few people are watch OTA from them that many departments in the station don't know about the problem.

It's not just OTA, it's on the digital channel. I watch Lost on channel 729 on Cox and get the same problems.

or the

post #1199 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldogatr View Post

What elevation have you got that at? I'm assuming you have it on a rotor. I've never had a hint of signal from 25, even when weather allowed me to get Tallahassee, Savannah, Daytona and Orlando. Like you, I can get 30, 47 and several other Jax stations when pointed that way, but not 12 or 25.

Antenna were at one time a huge hobby of mine. So you got me curious. I went to the FCC site and can't for the life of me figure out from their data, why you can't get a signal from 12 or 25. Antenna height, power, even location don't seem to explain things. Unless they are run less power then they claim, have a feed line or antenna problems.

The other big big thing to remember is the mid FL ridge or what ever it's called. It's around east of Keystone and runs NW from there. I causes a lot of signal blockage between Jax and GNV. Once we put us a data link between Jax and GNV and had to put a repeater in Middleburg to get our signal through. The antenna at Jax was only about 100 ft, but we were at 400 ft on the Channel 5 millhopper tower, but no signal until we put up the Middleburg repeater, which sat close to the top of that ridge.

post #1200 of 3461 Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

It's not just OTA, it's on the digital channel. I watch Lost on channel 729 on Cox and get the same problems.

But it was ok on Cox channel 7 ? Cox is feed a signal directly from WCJB, they don't take OTA to put on cable. So the problem is either the entire ABC net work or WCJB. Is there anyway for anyone to monitor an ABC feed for the show in HD that is not watching it on WCJB ? I have DirecTV, but don't pay for their HD service which would give me Orlando ABC. The more troubleshooting you do before approaching WCJB with the problem the better and more creditable you look to them.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page