Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3461 Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrotch View Post

Ahhhh well that's an interesting idea......so you get NBC and CBS from the QAM......and ABC OTA.....but then how do you get Fox HD?

I didnt, i just moved to kentucky, and i get the channels here. But it was something to compare to, since i believe the fcc has a rule that says HD locals must be unscrambled. I bet you Cox in gainesville will put ABC in HD when the station gets fully licensed and completed. Fox, well, I dont know what to say about those cheap skates at WOGX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3461 Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 PM

Ahh okay sorry I misread your original message and thought you said you moved here FROM KY instead of the other way around. Did you try or has anyone else out there tried a QAM tuner here in Gainesville?

If it could pick up most of what Cox offered here, I'd be tempted to add a QAM-capable HDTV card to my HTPC (and cry every time I watch Fox....).
post #183 of 3461 Old 08-22-2005, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

MNF pre-season Dallas vs. Seattle in HD now on 20.1 ABC

Mike
post #184 of 3461 Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houselog442 View Post

cheap skates at WOGX

Their analog station 51 still has no stereo sound. WOGX is a repeater station of channel 35 in Orlando. It's about time that FOX takes the Gainesville DMA seriously.
post #185 of 3461 Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 PM

Well when WOGX goes HD is probably the day the french figure out the concept of deoderant
post #186 of 3461 Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM

To clarify your point, WOGX is not a repeater station of Channel 35 in Orlando. Both are Fox Owned and Operated stations, but other than sharing network programming, and the "locally produced" Fox 35 news at 10, they are entirely separate operations with different programming during non-prime time hours.

It is true that both stations operate out of Orlando (for logistical and financial reasons.)
The WOGX signal is microwaved from Orlando to Ocala where it is split and sent to two different transmitters. The analog feed for Channel 51, and the digital feed for 31.1.
It was explained to me a year ago that aside from being the "poor stepchild" of Fox O&O's,
the main issue in prohibiting a HD feed on 31.1 was that WOGX has no current ability to microwave a high definition feed originating in Orlando to their Ocala transmitter.

I agree that it is shameful that the Gainesville-Ocala market is a such a low priority for a Fox Owned & Operated station. This station (WOGX 31.1) has many issues to resolve. First, it is licensed and operates at about half the power of WCJB. Therefore over the air reception in most of Gainesville is spotty and inconsistent in locking into a viewable signal.

Second, the audio on 31.1 is mixed improperly. The surround sound audio channels are backwards and excessively loud. The main audio comes out of the back speakers, and the secondary audio is present on the front speakers only. I emailed and finally talked to the Chief Engineer more than a year ago, explaining the problem to him. It's a year later, and the problem still persists.

And finally, from a PR perspective, it would be useful to be able to talk to someone at WOGX who could update viewers on a timetable as to if and when they will begin to offer a Fox HD feed on their digital channel. Most posters know by this time, that trying to contact WOGX's Chief Engineer is an effort in futility.
post #187 of 3461 Old 08-23-2005, 06:09 PM

I emailed the chief engineer many times and got a response back from earlier this year. The copy of that response is on this gainesville forum. Since then i tried numerous emails and got nothing. It is so bad for gainesville when directv redid thier page on getting FOX HD feeds, they mentioned all the O & O markets eligible except for one... of course that one is Ocala/Gainesville FL.
post #188 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 07:47 AM

Does any one know the timeline for cox to pick up the abc digital feed .
post #189 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendogg View Post

Does any one know the timeline for cox to pick up the abc digital feed .

Just got this email from Cox this morning:

We understand how anxious you would be to utilize the options and benefits that your High Definition TV can provide.

We have contacted our Marketing area regarding a more definite date for the addition of new channels.

At this time we are still waiting for ABC to provide the feed to us in this area. Our Marketing area does have a copy of this and each and every request we receive for these additions.

Please be assured, that we are diligently working at making these changes sooner rather than later.
post #190 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:

At this time we are still waiting for ABC to provide the feed to us in this area. Our Marketing area does have a copy of this and each and every request we receive for these additions.

This is obviously a computer generated response. You can be sure that Cox Communications is aware that WCJB (16.1) is broadcasting its digital signal in high definition. Cox must negotiate a carriage agreement with WCJB in order to retransmit the signal on it's digital HD tier. Once the carriage agreement is finalized, Cox will be able to offer WCJB-DT, but not before the effective date of the contract.

Cox Communications usual method of adding new channels is to make an announcement that the channel is coming (along with the corresponding cable channel number.) New channels traditionally show up on the system about three weeks after the announcement.

It would be nice if this process is expedited to coincide with the start of the new ABC fall season.
post #191 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I would like to see the Miami-Florida State game in HD. It is one
of the only college football games that will be in HD on ABC this fall.
post #192 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM

For those with Cox HD service, would you say that it is worth it? Or should I just get an antenna and pick up the local HD broadcasts? My holdback about the antenna is that I want ESPN HD (or at least I think I do). Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
post #193 of 3461 Old 08-24-2005, 08:04 PM

I read on the fcc database that WCJB has filed for a digital STA today, it probably means the station wont be fully up and authorized for a little longer
post #194 of 3461 Old 08-25-2005, 08:09 AM

Quote:

For those with Cox HD service, would you say that it is worth it? Or should I just get an antenna and pick up the local HD broadcasts? My holdback about the antenna is that I want ESPN HD (or at least I think I do).

It really depends on your interests and priorities. The Cox HD service eliminates the need for a QAM tuner and digital antenna, and seems to provide a consistent HD digital signal for NBC (Orlando), CBS (Gainesville), and PBS HD (a sub channel for PBS, Gainesville.) Using an off air antenna to pick up these stations can give you a great HD picture, but you stand the chance of intermittent multipath interference depending on where you are located in Gainesville in proximity to the TV station's transmitter tower.

WCJB (ABC-HD) is can be received with an antenna, but is not currently available on the Cox HD Tier. It is assumed that this channel will be eventually offered on the Cox system. As to WOGX (Fox), they are not passing the FOX HD signal, and it is unlikely that Cox will add the channel to the HD tier until WOGX resolves this issue.

The Cox HD tier is adequate, but is nothing special. It includes six HD channels (CBS, NBC, PBS, ESPN, INHD, INHD2), and two other HD channels (HBO, Showtime) available in separate packages. If you are into sports, then you will probably want to subscribe to the Cox HD tier. ESPN is scheduled to televise a large slate of college and NFL football, college basketball, ML Baseball over the next few months. INHD is currently televising ML Baseball, Extreme Sports, and is rumoured to be carrying select NHL games this season. HD was made for watching sports.

The overall picture quality of the Cox HD tier is very good. The downside is that Cox doesn't seem to be interested in offering HD channels that are currently avaiable on other cable and satellite systems. Established HD channels such as TNT, Universal HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, and ESPN2 are conspicuously absent from the Cox HD tier. Hopefully, these and other channels will be added over the next year.
post #195 of 3461 Old 08-25-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvgator View Post

It really depends on your interests and priorities. The Cox HD service eliminates the need for a QAM tuner and digital antenna, and seems to provide a consistent HD digital signal for NBC (Orlando), CBS (Gainesville), and PBS HD (a sub channel for PBS, Gainesville.) Using an off air antenna to pick up these stations can give you a great HD picture, but you stand the chance of intermittent multipath interference depending on where you are located in Gainesville in proximity to the TV station's transmitter tower.

WCJB (ABC-HD) is can be received with an antenna, but is not currently available on the Cox HD Tier. It is assumed that this channel will be eventually offered on the Cox system. As to WOGX (Fox), they are not passing the FOX HD signal, and it is unlikely that Cox will add the channel to the HD tier until WOGX resolves this issue.

The Cox HD tier is adequate, but is nothing special. It includes six HD channels (CBS, NBC, PBS, ESPN, INHD, INHD2), and two other HD channels (HBO, Showtime) available in separate packages. If you are into sports, then you will probably want to subscribe to the Cox HD tier. ESPN is scheduled to televise a large slate of college and NFL football, college basketball, ML Baseball over the next few months. INHD is currently televising ML Baseball, Extreme Sports, and is rumoured to be carrying select NHL games this season. HD was made for watching sports.

The overall picture quality of the Cox HD tier is very good. The downside is that Cox doesn't seem to be interested in offering HD channels that are currently avaiable on other cable and satellite systems. Established HD channels such as TNT, Universal HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, and ESPN2 are conspicuously absent from the Cox HD tier. Hopefully, these and other channels will be added over the next year.

Thanks for the reply; it was very informative. I think I might as well go for it. The prospect of ESPN HD showing college football is too tempting to pass up. Since I just bought the HDTV, I might as well take full advantage of it.
post #196 of 3461 Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UF View Post

Thanks for the reply; it was very informative. I think I might as well go for it. The prospect of ESPN HD showing college football is too tempting to pass up. Since I just bought the HDTV, I might as well take full advantage of it.

Its a shame that Cox does not allow you to get the HD package unless you also subscribe to the digital cable package. I have heard that other cable co's don't have a problem with this setup. I'd be glad to pay Cox $20 for that service.
post #197 of 3461 Old 08-28-2005, 10:47 AM

Following up on my previous post, I can now report that the addition of an antennasdirect DB2 antenna and Channel Master 7777 preamp mounted in my attic now brings in WCJB-DT 20.1 as well as WGFL-DT (on both channels 28.1 and 28.2 and 53.1) as well as the WUFT-DT PBS 36.1-.3 and WOGX-DT 51.1. It took both a move of antenna location from top of entertainment center to attic and a change of antenna from Radio Shack amplified indoor antenna to the DB2/CM7777. Just moving the antenna helped the signal strength on the channels I already received but it took the antenna change to add WCJB-DT and WGFL-DT

I am located about 18 miles east of Gainesville. In hindsight I would have rather paid the extra $20 and gotten the DB4 after seeing how neatly the DB2 fit in the attic inside the roof trusses. Biggest hassle was pulling the RG6 but I think it was worth it.

Except for NBC at least in eastern Alachua County area, we now have an acceptable selection of high quality DTV locals programming that we didn't have a year ago. I am especially looking forward to seeing the Gator football games in CBS HDTV and at least the CBS HDTV NFL games (until Fox gets HDTV capability, if ever)

Gatorred
post #198 of 3461 Old 08-29-2005, 03:28 PM

I found out more about the STA WCJB-DT has. It is broadcasting at 343.6 KW at 254.4 meters HAAT 278.6 meters AMSL. Here is the link: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WCJB

It also has a map with the circle showing the viewing area of the STA broadcast, it has a good amount of range, going about 50 mile radius. Here is the link to that map: http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DS1080985.html
post #199 of 3461 Old 08-29-2005, 09:06 PM

I have a question for anyone in Gainesville with DirecTV. I have the HR10-250, and have added all of our local digital OTA channels to my "received channels" list. When I go to the guide, I get the following stations:

5-1 - WUFTDT1
5-2 - WUFTDT2
5-3 - WUFTDT3

20-1 - WCJB-HD

28-1 - CBS 4
28-2 - UPN 11

36-1 - WUFT
36-2 - WUFT
36-3 - WUFT-SD

51-1 - WOGXDT
53-1 - WGFLDT

Obviously, the WUFT channels are duplicates, but what is odd is that the first group of 3 (5-1, 5-2, 5-3) show programming information yet are incorrect. 5-1 lists programming content for the SD station, but it's the HD programming that's shown. 5-2 lists programming for the HD station, but won't pull in a signal, giving me the "Searching for Signal" message on the screen. 5-3 appears to show the correct programming.

Further down the list, the second grouping of WUFT stations (36-1, 36-2, 36-3) don't show any programming information, and only say "regular programming" in the guide. These 3 stations reflect the positions and listings correctly from the programming information on the 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3 guide listings.

Also, 20-1, 28-1, and 28-2 don't list programming information, and only say "regular programming" in the guide.

The only two stations that appear to be listed correctly, and also have correct programming guide information are 51-1 and 53-1.

Can anyone explain all of this craziness? As it stands, it's quite problematic because I can't set any recording schedules since the program information is so screwed up for most of these stations. I could set up a timed recording for a particular channel, but that's no good when I'm used to setting up season passes. For example, I can't set up a season pass for LOST on 20-1 WCJB-HD because there's no program information in the guide. Likewise, if I pick a program from the guide listings on channels 5-1 or 5-2, the stations are flipped so I don't get what I want recorded.

Any help on this is appreciated.
post #200 of 3461 Old 08-29-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriems View Post

I have a question for anyone in Gainesville with DirecTV. I have the HR10-250, and have added all of our local digital OTA channels to my "received channels" list. When I go to the guide, I get the following stations:

5-1 - WUFTDT1
5-2 - WUFTDT2
5-3 - WUFTDT3

20-1 - WCJB-HD

28-1 - CBS 4
28-2 - UPN 11

36-1 - WUFT
36-2 - WUFT
36-3 - WUFT-SD

51-1 - WOGXDT
53-1 - WGFLDT

Obviously, the WUFT channels are duplicates, but what is odd is that the first group of 3 (5-1, 5-2, 5-3) show programming information yet are incorrect. 5-1 lists programming content for the SD station, but it's the HD programming that's shown. 5-2 lists programming for the HD station, but won't pull in a signal, giving me the "Searching for Signal" message on the screen. 5-3 appears to show the correct programming.

Further down the list, the second grouping of WUFT stations (36-1, 36-2, 36-3) don't show any programming information, and only say "regular programming" in the guide. These 3 stations reflect the positions and listings correctly from the programming information on the 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3 guide listings.

Also, 20-1, 28-1, and 28-2 don't list programming information, and only say "regular programming" in the guide.

The only two stations that appear to be listed correctly, and also have correct programming guide information are 51-1 and 53-1.

Can anyone explain all of this craziness? As it stands, it's quite problematic because I can't set any recording schedules since the program information is so screwed up for most of these stations. I could set up a timed recording for a particular channel, but that's no good when I'm used to setting up season passes. For example, I can't set up a season pass for LOST on 20-1 WCJB-HD because there's no program information in the guide. Likewise, if I pick a program from the guide listings on channels 5-1 or 5-2, the stations are flipped so I don't get what I want recorded.

Any help on this is appreciated.

I think i can help u out. First, i dont understand why the guide would list 5-1 and 5-2 and 5-3 because WUFT sends out informatoin on thier digital channel (which is on channel 36) that thier station is on 36. Another thing is that it is common for WUFT to sometimes switch between what is on 36-1 and 36-2. Another factor into this is the guide itself. Directv does not offer any kind of locals at all for gainesville so it will not know what exactly is on those channels except that it may know the network it is on (ABC NBC CBS FOX) and list those programs. Finally, 53-1 should not be there since that channel is broadcasted on 28-1 and is listed that way. 51-1 is correct, even though their digital channel is on 31-1, the PSIP informatoin the station puts out reroutes that channel as if it is on 51-1.
post #201 of 3461 Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

That is correct. The local off air channels should show up as 28-1 CBS, and 28-2 UPN, 20-1 WCJB-DT, 36-1, 36-2, and 36-3 for WUFT. For Fox 51-1 FOX-DT.

Odd as to why your getting WUFT listed twice with different channel numbers. As far as the local channel guide goes, I haven't been able to get the local info to show on my dish 811 even though I have the locals from Dish Networkl along with the off air ones with my antenna.
post #202 of 3461 Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 AM

I have a Directv system like jriems reported and get the same programming information on my guide. I wonder if WUFT is using both its VFH and UHF frequencies and broadcasting on both. The 5.1-.3 channels are the same programming as the analog 5 and the 36.1-3 channels are equivalent to the analog signal, PBS HD and and PBSYou which is why I suspect they are broadcasting both on VHF and UHF. I suppose what I am seeing on 53.1 is mapped from 28.1 and is the same signal but that is guesswork.

Best I can tell there is no 53.2 like there is a 28.2 but my Directv Highes Receiver does not give as much information as my old Samsung which operated briefly last year but then gave up the ghost and was replaced by Directv.
post #203 of 3461 Old 08-30-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Gainesville OTA Channels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Directv system like jriems reported and get the same programming information on my guide. I wonder if WUFT is using both its VFH and UHF frequencies and broadcasting on both. The 5.1-.3 channels are the same programming as the analog 5 and the 36.1-3 channels are equivalent to the analog signal, PBS HD and and PBSYou which is why I suspect they are broadcasting both on VHF and UHF. I suppose what I am seeing on 53.1 is mapped from 28.1 and is the same signal but that is guesswork.

Best I can tell there is no 53.2 like there is a 28.2 but my Directv Highes Receiver does not give as much information as my old Samsung which operated briefly last year but then gave up the ghost and was replaced by Directv.

The problem is not with your DirecTv HD receiver, but rather WUFT-TV. WUFT is mapping their digital channels improperly.

I contacted WUFT-TV's chief engineer two months ago, alerting him of this issue. He did not seem interested in investigating or correcting the problem. His response was that WUFT is broadcasting on their correct digital frequency, (36.1, 36.2, and 36.3) and that if the signal was mapping improperly, it must be a problem with my receiver.

To make the digital transition as "painless as possible" to the general public, the FCC mandated that the licensee's new digital frequencies (36.1, 36.2, and 36.3) map to the MAIN frequency of their analog channel (in this case, 5) to avoid confusion as to where the new channels and content were located. This mapping is achieved by PSIP data being transmitted by the station. In this case, 36.1 should map to 5.1, 36.2 should map to 5.2, and 36.3 should map to 5.3.

The problem is that WUFT-DT is mapping digital channels 36.1 and 36.2 improperly. Therefore, the content displayed on 36.1 should be the simulcast of the analog signal (Channel 5), and the content for 36.2 should be for PBS-HD. The program guide listings are correct for 36.1 and 36.2. However, the video content mapped to the two subchannels are backwards (and incorrect.)
To WUFT's credit, the PSIP and channel mapping for 36.3 (5.3) are correct.

Your DirecTv reciever IS working properly. Until WUFT acknowledges and corrects this issue, you have limited viewing options in utilizing the program guide. You can continue to view content on any of WUFT's digital channels (36.1-36.3) without program listings ("Regular Programming" appears in the guide,) or you can use the program guide which appears at 5.1 and 5.2. If you are using a DVR, you will have to set up manual recording times for each show referenced from the program schedule on 5.1 or 5.2, and have the DVR record the corresponding video on 36.1 or 36.2.
post #204 of 3461 Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM

Thanks, everyone for the responses. I sort of figured the problem with WUFT was on their end, but it's good to confirm this - not so good to know, however, that they're aware of the problem and seem to have no interest in fixing it. Am I to assume that if they ever got it straightened out that I would get the 3 WUFT stations on the 36-x channels along with the correct program information for them that's currently on the 5-x channels? I'm ok with using the 5-x channels for program info and the 36-x channels for actual viewing for *now*, but certainly don't want it to remain that way indefinitely.

Is it also safe to assume that all of the digital stations currently listing "Regular Programming" will eventually show program information? Who controls that - the stations themselves, or DirecTV, Dish Network, etc.?

I can certainly get by for now with manual recordings here and there, but I absolutely don't want it to remain that way forever. What good is having OTA HD on a DVR box when you can't schedule recordings based on program schedule? (This question is mostly rhetorical, as I can see the obvious benefits. But I'm greedy, and I want the world.)
post #205 of 3461 Old 08-30-2005, 05:39 PM
AFH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriems View Post

Is it also safe to assume that all of the digital stations currently listing "Regular Programming" will eventually show program information? Who controls that - the stations themselves, or DirecTV, Dish Network, etc.?

Guide data info

The name of the service that provides the guide date is zap2it.com

Guide data 2

"I'm going to call them scallywags" - Ollie

Xbox Live: Stunt1on1
post #206 of 3461 Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 AM

Well, thanks to the help of some of you guys on here I dumped my cable and had directv installed with the HD DVR. I ordered the silver sensor from amazon, but while I wait for it to arrive, I picked up a cheap-o Phillips amplified antenna at Wal Mart that I plan on taking back when the sensor gets here next week. This thing seems to do pretty well for me, and I am picking up almost everything I should with 70-80 percent strength. However, CBS 4 28-1 isn't being detected at all...I'm fluctuating between 0-30 strength no matter how I orient my antenna. Do you guys expect the Zenith to remedy the problem? It's strange, because I only live 8 miles or so from the station according to antennaweb.org...
post #207 of 3461 Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Well, thanks to the help of some of you guys on here I dumped my cable and had directv installed with the HD DVR. I ordered the silver sensor from amazon, but while I wait for it to arrive, I picked up a cheap-o Phillips amplified antenna at Wal Mart that I plan on taking back when the sensor gets here next week. This thing seems to do pretty well for me, and I am picking up almost everything I should with 70-80 percent strength. However, CBS 4 28-1 isn't being detected at all...I'm fluctuating between 0-30 strength no matter how I orient my antenna. Do you guys expect the Zenith to remedy the problem? It's strange, because I only live 8 miles or so from the station according to antennaweb.org...

It really depends on how close your location is to the station's transmitter. I live about 5 miles from WGFL's tower, and my signal strength averages between
85-88 with the Silver Sensor. The fact that WGFL is operating on very low power sometimes helps to increase multipath interference causing your picture to momentarily pixelate and your sound to disappear. When WGFL goes to full power (rumored to be in June 2006), most residents should get a much more reliable and consistent signal. However, due to your relatively close proximity to the transmitter site I believe you should be able to get a viewable signal with the right antenna.

I have tried multiple antennas (indoor and outdoor), and I have found the Silver Sensor to be the most inexpensive, and strangely, the most reliable. In the interim, I would suggest placing your Phillips antenna in different locations throughout the room to see if your signal strength increases. I added additonal cable to my Silver Sensor to give me the flexibility of placing it in the most favorable room location for signal strength. Through trial and error (and the signal strength meter as a guide) I am able to view WGFL, WCJB, and WUFT with only occasional pixelation.
post #208 of 3461 Old 09-04-2005, 03:40 PM

So currently I'm going back and forth with DirecTv trying to get them to give me the HD Fox east feed....I live in Gainesville and they are trying to tell me I need a waiver (which they submitted and I'm waiting on the result). They are saying the reason is that "according to their system" my local Fox is not O&O (even though I have sent them links to WOGX's website to prove that it is). Anyone have any experience with this?
post #209 of 3461 Old 09-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Just an FYI for those who are wondering about what they can pickup. I live in SW Gainesville off of Tower Rd and just use a simple rabbit ears antenna. I've only tried WUFL and WCJB, but both had outstanding reception. I'll update this post when I check out some HD programming on CBS and NBC.
post #210 of 3461 Old 09-06-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

The FSU, and Miami game last night on ABC HD was very good till the signal from WCJB started to drop out in the second quarter. I only watched till half time.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page