post #31 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by rxlowry
Hello All,

as I am now recording shows in SD on 3, 6 & 10 just so we can watch them. While this is convenient, it annoys me to no end that I can't enjoy my setup to the fullest.

Chris

Chris, if you set your box so that you are WATCHING the "bad" tuner....the box will record the "good" tuner. The recordings default to whichever tuner you are not using. I leave my box turned on and leave it on the bad tuner and it seems to record the good one. If you plan to record two shows at once....well, good luck!

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 05:23 AM

Here is my most recent reply from Comcast after my 5th or 6th e-mail and several calls:

Dear Carl,
Thank you for your inquiry. Our understanding is, according to our
technical staff, that a fix was implemented in all systems by yesterday
morning. Please advise if you still experience further problems.
Thank you for choosing Comcast.

There is NO CHANGE this AM!! I hope whoever gave the 3/7 estimate knows more than the person (people) who answered my most recent e-mail.
post #33 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good too see you all here!! I noticed Mark Jenna has posted a corporate number for Comcast on the main 6412 forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...03#post5274403
Let's try this one as well.
I also notice a number of folks here at AVS refering to our issue with the fear they've caught our problem. I'm not convinced yet it's the same thing. As you monitor other threads report back any areas that clearly have the same issue we do.

I also want to personally thank each of you for supporting this thread. I believe it's important to have our own "voice" for issues like we are experiencing today as well as a place to develop a knowledge base specific to us such as OTA issues or other carrier issues outside of the Wilmington area as well. Please help me keep it active & refer others from Delaware to this thread. I look forward to developing a relationship in which we all "own" this thread and grow our HT hobby through each other.

Carl Jones
post #34 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 AM

Liked: 11
Well, I just spoke to a CSR named Grant and he was unaware of our problem, but was very willing to listen and take down as much info as he could. I also gave him the address of this new thread so he can monitor our progress of lack thereof. He is relatively new with Comcast, but has aspirations of getting into the technical end. He promised that he would forward this info up the chain and give his bosses my phone number to contact about getting more detailed info. I'll keep you all informed.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #35 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 07:18 AM

[quote]Originally posted by BJMoose
[b]Well, I just spoke to a CSR named Grant and he was unaware of our problem, but was very willing to listen and take down as much info as he could. I also gave him the address of this new thread so he can monitor our progress of lack thereof.

I just spoke to someone at "Corporate" named Georgia Bowan who promised she would find THE tech (if any) who is on THIS problem and personally call me this PM with info. She did SEEMED concerned about the lack of info, knowledge and helpfulness at the "local" level. We'll see, and I'll let you know if there is anything useful that comes out of this.
post #36 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
I have the Motorola signal booster and it does a great job on analog signals directly from the wall to the tv. It didn't have any real effect on the bad second tuner problem though. Had a marginal effect on the analog channels through the 6412.

Thanks for the reply. Weren't you the one that wasn't seeing the same problems with the second tuner as the rest of us are experiencing? If so, maybe the signal booster is doing something for this issue?
post #37 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 AM

i beleive he was saying that the booster did not fix the tuner problem, just improved his signal overall.anyway...ive had comcast out to my house, spent 2 hours rewiring, and of course, could not fix the problem, just said they would get back to me. they called that night asking me for info on the problem, and i spent about 20 minutes explaining the problem in detail. she said she had to call back a lot of people, a few hundred, but she said a lot of it was people that just didnt know what they were doing or talking about, which makes it really difficult to isolate the problem. i was told there was an emergency meeting on tue, and it was about this problem. i havent heard back from them, and this is the only place ive heard about a fix, so im also keeping my fingers crossed about a fix on mon.
jim
post #38 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll have to call corp. today. We certainly could save them tons of money from service calls and visits if they would just frequent the board and listen to us

Newark, Delaware
post #39 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim;

Welcome! How about adding where you are from so we can relate to your area?

Carl Jones
post #40 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by quartrj
Lets post our signal strength:

Tuner 1
SNR 36.2 Good
AGC 73% Fair

Tuner 2
SNR 34.0 Good
AGC 71% Good

Not sure how 73% on tuner 1 is fair when 71% on tuner 2 is good.

My house is getting painted & is a MAJOR mess right now. Hopefully this weekend I'll get my plasma & 6412 up & running again & will post what I've got.

Carl Jones
post #41 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe_R
I'll have to call corp. today. We certainly could save them tons of money from service calls and visits if they would just frequent the board and listen to us

I need to call as well. It DOES seem they would save us all (themselves included) major time & expense.

Carl Jones
post #42 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 10:26 AM

Thanks for getting this thread started. I am getting my Comcast DVR today, so I have been reading through all these related posts. I've had D* for a few years, but if the DVR and HD works for me, I may be staying with Comcast instead.
post #43 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
Thanks for the reply. Weren't you the one that wasn't seeing the same problems with the second tuner as the rest of us are experiencing? If so, maybe the signal booster is doing something for this issue?

I was having a different problem that masked over this issue. Both of my tuners were giving the same results. Got a new box and now am right there with everyone else. I don't have the signal booster going through the 6412. As I mentioned, I tried it and it only made a minimal difference on analog and no difference for the problem I was having. It's now simply boosting the signal to ANT1 of my TV and is doing a fantastic job that way. I'd swear that some of my analog channels {through the booster on ANT!} are sharper and clearer than many of the SD channels through the 6412. Problem is, I can't capture them to the DVR.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #44 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 12:19 PM

BTW, I didn't mention this earlier, but when I hooked my booster through this new box to see if it would alleviate the 2nd tuner problem, my AGCs dropped into the 50s (sometimes still registering as GOOD...I don't get that). I don't ever recall the AGCs dropping that low so perhaps the booster causes some kind of interference.

There was a post on the other thread by a person who swore by the same booster connected to her 6412. It didn't impress me that much on analog, although there was a noticable difference on a few channels. Works way better hooked directly from the wall to the TV.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #45 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 12:26 PM

One thing I just thought of and haven't tested (will try it when I get home tomorrow morning)...but how many of us have a splitter from the wall with one going directly to the TV and the other going to the box? I do. I haven't really tried a single direct connection with no splitter. Anybody have this setup and still have the problem? Would be interesting if the signal just didn't like to be split before going to the 6412. When the tech came out here the last time, he supposedly maximized the signal going to the 6412 and he installed a Comcast splitter as opposed to the radio shack one that I was using. It may not have anything to do with what we're experiencing, but at this point, I'll trying anything.

Also, maybe we can publish the serial number series (not the whole thing) to see if there's some consistency there. There were some earlier series that suffered from that re-powering problem. Just a thought.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #46 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 240
The LOWER the ACG control is, the better.
post #47 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:

One thing I just thought of and haven't tested (will try it when I get home tomorrow morning)...but how many of us have a splitter from the wall with one going directly to the TV and the other going to the box? I do. I haven't really tried a single direct connection with no splitter. Anybody have this setup and still have the problem? Would be interesting if the signal just didn't like to be split before going to the 6412. When the tech came out here the last time, he supposedly maximized the signal going to the 6412 and he installed a Comcast splitter as opposed to the radio shack one that I was using. It may not have anything to do with what we're experiencing, but at this point, I'll trying anything.

Also, maybe we can publish the serial number series (not the whole thing) to see if there's some consistency there. There were some earlier series that suffered from that re-powering problem. Just a thought.

I tried going directly from the wall to the 6412, eliminating all splitters. Same problem.
post #48 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:

I tried going directly from the wall to the 6412, eliminating all splitters. Same problem.

Ditto. By the way after a call to "corporate" a fairly knowledgeable and sympathetic person returned my call and set up a visit tomorrow from a "Lead Tech" whom she represents knows the problem and would like to check it out first hand. They know the box is not the cause. I'll keep you all advised.
post #49 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cgoldst
Ditto. By the way after a call to "corporate" a fairly knowledgeable and sympathetic person returned my call and set up a visit tomorrow from a "Lead Tech" whom she represents knows the problem and would like to check it out first hand. They know the box is not the cause. I'll keep you all advised.

I guess that doesn't bode well for a "software headend fix" on Monday. Hope this lead tech finds something.
post #50 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess that doesn't bode well for a "software headend fix" on Monday. Hope this lead tech finds something.

Don't take offense. I've been burned enough now to know let 'em keep 'splainin' as long as they keep trying. I'll bet when all is said & done it'll be more than one single thing.

Carl Jones
post #51 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try to get a name, job title, and location of this individual if you can. A phone number too if they know what they're doing .

Carl Jones
post #52 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JWhip
The LOWER the ACG control is, the better.

Good to see you & others from the Philly forum!!

Carl Jones
post #53 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 02:56 PM

im in new castle, de. the problem is in no way a signal stregnth issue, to save you guys some time and energy, heh. the tech rewired and put new splitters in, and said my signal is perfect now. i think my picture qauility might have gotten a touch better in some areas of the house, lol.my numbers jive with the rest of you 75% 35% (ish) etc. not bothering to go look and copy, because it has nothing to do with our problem....this is a comcast issue, and it seems we all have to play the waiting game
jim
post #54 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
Try to get a name, job title, and location of this individual if you can. A phone number too if they know what they're doing .

Will do Carl. Although if he or she reads this forum they might come in cognito with a false ID!
post #55 of 604 Old 03-04-2005, 09:24 PM

I just wanted to chime in and indicate that I am also having the pixelation & sound problem on the second tuner of my 6412. I have called Comcast 3 times now, and every time I have gotten nowhere with them. The last person indicated that the problem would be fixed on March 1, 2005. As all of you are aware that did not occur.

Instead of continuing to waste my time and energy calling Comcast, I figured I would just post the information here, hoping the comcast folks really are monitoring this board.

My main question is whether anyone in New Castle County is using the 6412 box without any problems on the second tuner. I do not know anyone, and would be curious to know if Comcast is checking this issue with the boxes at the district office. Heres hoping that the problem is actually fixed on 3/7.

Steve Butler
Wilmington, DE
post #56 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Steve;

Welcome. It appears ALL of us in New Castle are having the same problem. Please do NOT assume posting here alone will get it done. Calling in to report, "I'm calling in to report my cable box is still not right. Last time I called, you said it would be fixed by March 1 & today is the 5th. & it's still not fixed."

All of these folks have meetings and bosses from which to learn & participate. Enough of them start understanding what's going on & eventually we'll all start getting the same answer and/or this problem will be fixed.

Carl Jones
post #57 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will do Carl. Although if he or she reads this forum they might come in cognito with a false ID!

Nah, that would NEVER happen!

Carl Jones
post #58 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 04:44 AM

I know this isn't exactly on topic, but it was too interesting not to share. Yesterday, I made my weekly visit to the local BB (if you're in my area, you know which one I'm talking about). They have a Comcast rep there who approaches you to try to sell you on Comcast. He's come up to me each time I've come into the store, so at least he's doing his job.

But yesterday, I decided to question him about the 2nd tuner problem we're experiencing in Delaware. First, he said he hadn't heard anything about it and as he was noticably trying to move away from me, I pursued with more questions. Finally, (and this is pretty much an exact quote) he said, "Hey mister, I don't even use any of this stuff...I just sell it."

Although I wouldn't want someone representing my company that way, perhaps therein lies part of the problem with our communicating with the comcast reps. The CSRs I've spoken to have been very courteous and showed a genuine willingness to help, but only one of the three has a DVR at home. She was aware of the problem because it was happening to her too. The others weren't aware because they aren't using that product. Perhaps Comcast should offer the latest technology as a perk to all their employees (I guess they'd still need HD ready sets though) so they would get daily feedback from those in their own offices. JMHO!

Peace,
BJMoose
post #59 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 05:15 AM

Installed the 6412 myself last evening. I was hoping to be able to report on something, but they have apparently not yet turned on my digital cable - so right now all I see is some crappy-looking standard channels that are pixellated....will try calling again to get them to turn on the digital.

JJB
post #60 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Perhaps Comcast should offer the latest technology as a perk to all their employees (I guess they'd still need HD ready sets though) so they would get daily feedback from those in their own offices. JMHO!

From what I understand, all comcast emplotees get free cable including all subscription packages (hbo,sho,max,etc), free highspeed internet, and ppv movies for like $1. If a comcast employee doesn't have dvr it is almost certainly by choice....plus they'd have to have hdtv to even see the problem. "incentives" are not the probem, the problem is that comcasts internal communication is absolutely horrible. Noone in that company knows what anyone else is doing. That's why you can get 3 different answers from 3 different people.

-Tim
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page