Delaware - HDTV - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #571 of 604 Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time since I was in this group...wondering if you could help?

I noticed that since the new season has started NBC primetime HDTV(Las Vegas, Heroes, etc.) has small white blurs or flashes in the blacks of the picture. Only the broadcast show, not the commercials, which would indicate it wouldn't be my service provider Comcast. I've asked friends watching the same programming with different HDTV's, and they see the same thing. Didn't know if you guys are seeing the sparklies too.

FoodNetwork HD is the best with Giana.

Yeah, Thats right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 604 Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM

I have been seeing this, too. My provider is Verizon, and I assumed (obviously wrong) that it was Verizon's problem. I don't have my antenna hooked up yet, but I bet you'd see the same thing in the over-the-air broadcast.
post #573 of 604 Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Noticing it on Comcast as well...live or DVRd
Not as bad as signal drops I was getting on Sunday night on ABC but annoying nonetheless.

~Dennis
PS3 ID: phlydude
My 60GB PS3 died from over heating - I have a strong feeling Folding didn't help
post #574 of 604 Old 12-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Does anyone know if it is illegal to block over the air hd channels from basic cable? I know Comcast in Maryland allows customers with built-in tuners to recieve them without paying for a box.

Thanks,

Byron
post #575 of 604 Old 03-31-2008, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm visiting my father, for whom I have bought an HD TV to set things up for him so he can get most things of interest to him in HD, via his Comcast service, which I will have to upgrade and activate the Tivo HD I got for him.

The Comcast agents deny that you can get HD for broadcast stations from them without an "HD box", whatever that is. However, if you look at their standard (analog)cable channel lineup online for Laurel DE (5 miles north of the Mason-Dixon line - which, by the way, goes along the SOUTHERN border of Delaware, with Maryland to the south of the line), it shows a small group of OTA digital (mostly HD) channels beginning at channels just above 200...

Here's the problem(s):

When we set up the new Toshiba LCD TV and did he channel scan, indeed most of these digital channels appear, but with weird numbers scattered here and the among or BELOW the analog channels. Examples are OTA major network HD channels at 1-1, 1-2, 16-1, and a group of 3 Maryland public tv digital (at least mostly) stations at 28-1,-2,-3 - though I couldn't find any of this group displaying HD. This despite both the guys from the central Comcast phone system AND the local reps saying you can't get the OTA HD without an HD box.

I then activated and hooked up the Tivo HD box, with the Comcst cable going into that, rather than the TV. This has TWO major screwups: first, those OTA digital channels do NOT show up from the Tivo channel scan on the cable signal, and, second, the channel lineup that the Tivo downloads for our zipcode is substantially different from what is actually coming across on the cable, the difference being (in addition to the missing OTA digital channels) that the analog channels have their order (numbering) mixed up, so the display now shows different station identification (and programming) associated with many of the channels numbers than what we're actually seeing. (And, when I try to go to one of the missing digital stations manually, I get either a screen that says station not available or a blank screen...)

(By the way, as I had planned in any case, I am having the Comcast service upgraded to full digital service and an M-cable card installed in the Tivo, so that it handles and decypts all the stations associated with this service. I anticipate, though, that I will still not get the proper channel lineup, with all the associated problems.)

Though Tivo has a process for rectifying the lineup in case like this, I have to fill out a form with detailed channel by channel info for them, and then is takes 5-7 days for their process, by which time I will no longer be here..

Anybody with related experience or suggestions?

Thanks for any info...

(By the way, I have NOT gone with the Comcast DVR, because it has alreaddy been demonstated for my 90-year-old father that he cannot keep straight a system where he has to handle TWO remotes (including the miserable Comcast digital remote) for his TV watching, but the Tivo remote has dedicated TV power/etc buttons, and an overall simpler remote that he can handle for basic operations...)

OTA only. For signal strength at your location:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TVGOS data: Sony 250 from 5.1?, LG3410a from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, not any more.

post #576 of 604 Old 03-31-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf View Post

When we set up the new Toshiba LCD TV and did he channel scan, indeed most of these digital channels appear, but with weird numbers scattered here and the among or BELOW the analog channels. Examples are OTA major network HD channels at 1-1, 1-2, 16-1, and a group of 3 Maryland public tv digital (at least mostly) stations at 28-1,-2,-3 - though I couldn't find any of this group displaying HD. This despite both the guys from the central Comcast phone system AND the local reps saying you can't get the OTA HD without an HD box.

16-1 CBS WBOC Salisbury is HD (mostly HD programming at night)
47-1 ABC WMDT Salisbury is also HD (you can't get that one?)

I have a Tivo S3 (not TivoHD) and get those two HD channels OTA. I did need a small amplified antenna sitting on top of my TV cabinet.

When you get a cablecards you will still receive OTA channels, but the cable channels # will be different and will match the Tivo guide. BTW, the Tivo guide does have my local OTA channels listed.

May want to visit the Tivo S3 forum if you have more specific Tivo questions.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51
post #577 of 604 Old 03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

yes, today I talked with Tivo technical support, who basically got my unit to start getting the correct lineup (the one from Salisbury instead of Sussex county), and said I had to do a channel scan in the unit to pick up the digital OTA channels, which would then have these odd numbers unless or until I upgraded to full digital (as I am on Wednesday) with cablecards, after which they will be labelled according to the Comcast system and have the correct programming assocated in accordance with the full lineup.

Anyway, I eventually did a scan, and then had the amusement of diddling to set up the picture modes for the TV and the Tivo unit so that HD programming was filling the screen properly and SD programming had appropriate black letter boxes without having to change settings between channels...

so now I'm looking forward to having the full digital service and cable card decryption, so that my father can then watch most of the sports he's interested in in HD, and so that others of us visiting can see most of our other favorite programs the way they should be seen! Supposed to happen Wednesday, maybe both the final 4s, as well as the beginning baseball season can be seen in HD...

, not any more.

post #578 of 604 Old 04-03-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

ok...just for your info, got the Comcast service guy here Wednesday, and he definitely knew what he was doing with the cable card, and so apparently did the person at Comcast who registered the card, but the final step, i.e., something like enabling decryption by Comcast didn't go too well...I kept waiting around with the Comcast guy waiting for that to start working, he talked more with comcast, and after a while we both agreed it didn't make sense for him to just sit around waiting...an hour later nothing had changed, I called but no joy..then another hour, and I called Comcast and the person there said she was (pinging? ...no, some other word), but no change, and when I was talking with her the Comcast guy appeared again, and then as I started talking with HIM something started changing, i.e., some of the Comcast HD channels started showing up, but some of them showed only a Tivo screen to call Comcast to set up the cable card. After while we went through and identified abut 15 channels that came up with that screen...after talking some more with his boss at the office, he said things weren't going to get straightened out for a while for those channels, but it ought to happen within 24 hours

all this sound familiar? I've had previous experiences with Comcast where they managed to goof things up at the office...one time in Berkeley my housemate wanted Comcast cable, and I agreed, and after waiting around for 8 (eight) hours for their visit, the cable worked, but they had suspended all my email addresses from my broadband service...so no email for about 4 days, which at the time was anything but funny...

anyway, today I checked the inoperable channels, and they seemed to be working

so it only took about 4 hours of my time and then waiting a day...I've heard worse in getting a cable card enabled...

, not any more.

post #579 of 604 Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post

16-1 CBS WBOC Salisbury is HD (mostly HD programming at night)
47-1 ABC WMDT Salisbury is also HD (you can't get that one?)

I have a Tivo S3 (not TivoHD) and get those two HD channels OTA. I did need a small amplified antenna sitting on top of my TV cabinet.

When you get a cablecards you will still receive OTA channels, but the cable channels # will be different and will match the Tivo guide. BTW, the Tivo guide does have my local OTA channels listed.

May want to visit the Tivo S3 forum if you have more specific Tivo questions.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=51

Isn't Tivo supposed to include local OTA data? They of course HAVE the data, because I get it here at my father's for the Comcast delivery of those same stations because he's in the Salisbury lineup area.

Have you talked with Tivo about why you're not getting the OTA data? ...assuming when you set up your Tivo you checked "antenna and cable"...

, not any more.

post #580 of 604 Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 PM

I do get OTA data.

Where it gets tricky is if you are trying to get free QAM channels through your cable provider.
post #581 of 604 Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM

Ugh! I just moved to Wilmington (the city part) and was trying to get SOME sort of TV service. Well, Verizon hasn't laid fiber here yet, we've got massive trees blocking the way for DirecTV (that we can't...adjust; we rent), and I really, really despise Comcast.

I read the article in the News Journal about Verizon starting to wire the city for FiOS, but it was a little light on useful details. Does anyone have any info at all about Verizon's plans? I've got this shiny new TV, and I'm wondering whether or not I should sell it, or hold on to it for a few months (...until FiOS arrives).

Thanks!
post #582 of 604 Old 04-08-2008, 08:04 AM

good luck waiting...I am in one of the "unincorporated" areas that has the fiber strung on the main road (US Rte 40) but it has not yet been brought in to my development.

I have been waiting for over a year now for them to get in here...I keep hoping that when I go on vacation, I will come home to find my lawn trenched and the sign up saying that service is coming...

Wiring in Wilmington will take some time...especially to apartments.

Buck it up, pay for comcast but don't let them talk you into a 2 yr commitment...all their plans come as a 1 yr deal as well (pricing will go up after the 1 year)

It may be a while before Comcast isn't your only option

~Dennis
My 60GB PS3 died from over heating - I have a strong feeling Folding didn't help
post #583 of 604 Old 04-11-2008, 11:57 AM

I got an HD receiver but can't get any channels with an (admittedly cheap) RCA indoor antenna. I live in the U. Delaware area near 896/Route 2/4 intersection. Can somebody tell me what kind of antenna I need and which digital (and HD) channels I can expect to get ?
post #584 of 604 Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM

I would check antennaweb.org for a recommendation.
post #585 of 604 Old 04-13-2008, 05:28 PM

ins0mniac - give this a look
http://www.terrestrial-digital.com/lacrosse.html
I am in southern Delaware; we use the larger versions because of our proximity to Salisbury MD. I have had very good perfromance from these.

- goo advice to look at antennaweb.org first. distance is important, and you will loose 40% range if you put it indoors.
post #586 of 604 Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys. I'm now getting few channels WCAU-DT, WPSG-DT and WTXF-DT with the Philips MANT510 indoor antenna. I really want WHYY-DT, for which antennaweb says I need a medium directional antenna. I'm looking at the lacrosse, is there any other one folks nearby me (Newark, 19713) have successfully used to get WHYY ?
post #587 of 604 Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Looking at all that antenna web stuff and knowing where in Philly most of the transmitters are located (Roxboro area on Ridge Ave), I have come to the realization that where I live (a mere 3-4 miles from you ins0mniac) will require a pretty substantial antenna mounted to the peak of my roof...I'm OK with Comcast providing the signals

~Dennis
post #588 of 604 Old 04-21-2008, 10:05 AM

that is disappointing to hear :-( i hate paying comcast, and i'm waiting for FIOS forever. i do want to try some outdoor antenna before giving up though. does anyone else care to share their experience with outdoor antenna in this area ?
post #589 of 604 Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mniac View Post

that is disappointing to hear :-( i hate paying comcast, and i'm waiting for FIOS forever. i do want to try some outdoor antenna before giving up though. does anyone else care to share their experience with outdoor antenna in this area ?

I'm not in your area (nor is my father, who's in lower Delaware and the reason I've been looking at this thread), but I can suggest that if antennaweb says a medium directional antenna, it's not all that hard to try with one from Radio Shack for 75 to 100 bucks...though it means somebody has to install something to hold it on your roof...this should work for you easily if the stations you already get are in roughly the same direction, and if they're not, you can always join the outputs from the two antennas. I had to do this when I first put together my HD system in 2003, and a SMALL, vaguely directional antenna from Radio Shack (which they no longer sell) on the roof (right next to my main antenna, still aimed at San Francisco) picked up the digital signal from the NBC station in San Jose (..about 40 to 50 miles away) just fine! I should add, though that the NBC transmitter was on a mountainside down there, which was some advantage...

Just thought I'd tell you about that experience, and I believe you can always take the antenna BACK to Radio Shack, though you'd still have gone to some trouble. But when you want a signal - as I did - and WITHOUT Comcast - as I wanted - it's worth a little trouble..

, not any more.

post #590 of 604 Old 05-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ins0mniac View Post

I also live in 19713. If you don't want to get an outside antenna, while you're waiting for FIOS, you might want to subscribe to a cheap package from Comcast to get their OTA HD channels. Here's what I'm getting directly through the cable (not the box):
93.1 CBS HD
100.1 CW HD
102.1 WPHL HD
104.1 WHYY HD
106.1 FOX HD
110.1 ABC HD
110.2 NBC HD
122.2 AMC HD
122.3 CNN HD

Peace,
BJMoose
post #591 of 604 Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMoose View Post

I also live in 19713. If you don't want to get an outside antenna, while you're waiting for FIOS, you might want to subscribe to a cheap package from Comcast to get their OTA HD channels. Here's what I'm getting directly through the cable (not the box):
93.1 CBS HD
100.1 CW HD
102.1 WPHL HD
104.1 WHYY HD
106.1 FOX HD
110.1 ABC HD
110.2 NBC HD
122.2 AMC HD
122.3 CNN HD

Judging from the numbers assigned and the non-OTA channels, this must be a digital package...do you think that's cheap?

, not any more.

post #592 of 604 Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know if WBOC plans on fixing their signal to be able to broadcast two HD channels(16-1 and 21-2)? Just thought about it while switching between WTTG FOX 5 from D.C. and FOX 21 Delmarva. I remember WNUV 54 experimenting with running a 1080i HD signal on the main channel(54-1) and a 720p HD signal on the subchannel (54-2) when they had a subchannel. Also, WMDT plans on shutting off their analog channel in the middle of September and moving their digital signal from 53 to 47.

HD DVD = 102
BD = 45
post #593 of 604 Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Hello, northern De here, real close to the state line. Are other people seeing a problem with WCAU 10-1 signal strength the past week. The signal has dropped to below 40 on my meter and is bouncing around constantly hitting sub-10 and even zero quite frequently. I have to watch WCAU analog to get any picture. All my other Philly DTV channels are up above 85 and most are in the mid-90's (KYW 3-1 is pegged at 100%).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #594 of 604 Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM

last night I had issues with the HD channels that appear to be sharing the same frequency (Sci HD, Fam HD, CSN HD)

No issues on WCAU that I noticed (but then again, they are the channel that seems to be running the least HD programming in this area of the 4 major networks

~Dennis
post #595 of 604 Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 AM

I need to know the name of a good antenna installer in the Salisbury, MD area. Any ideas?
post #596 of 604 Old 11-20-2008, 05:38 AM

For those of you in southern Delaware, are all three of the Salisbury, MD stations all set with their digital signals? (I had heard of a fire a few years ago at WMDT-TV channel 47 which affected their analog signal.)
post #597 of 604 Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Mediacom in Southern Delaware has been experimenting with new HDTV channels, and is close to announcing them. The unencrypted channels are: 104.3, CBS Salisbury; 105.4, ABC Salisbury; 100.1, MPT PBS Salisbury; 100.3, PBS Seaford; 102.3, Fox Philadelphia; 102.5, Fox Washington; 103.1, NBC Baltimore; and 104.2, Fox 21 Delmarva. CW Salisbury is also broadcasting in SD digital on 105.7 Don't know about encrypted channels like Comcast Sports.
post #598 of 604 Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Thank you so much for this posting!!!!!!! I thought we were going to be stuck with 2 HD channels forever!!!!!!!!! By the way, Consumer Reports latest issue has ranked the cable companies again. Last year they were the worst, ranking ninth. This year they are dead last again-ranking in the 22nd place.
post #599 of 604 Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

They-of course-being-Mediacom.

Sea Colony here!!!
post #600 of 604 Old 04-24-2014, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was just reading at the Philadelphia TV section of radio-discussions(dot)com that by June there will be a brand new NBC affiliate for parts of Delmarva. This station will be WRDE-LD channel 31. It will be licensed to Rehoboth Beach, DE. Power is about 7,100 watts, which will be aimed mostly northward. Their info came from this link at WDEL-AM of Wilmington:

http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=58791

I also found this link about it here from MultiChannel News:

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/my-turn/meet-delawares-new-nbc-affiliate/374066
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page