Delaware - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by cgoldst
Ditto. By the way after a call to "corporate" a fairly knowledgeable and sympathetic person returned my call and set up a visit tomorrow from a "Lead Tech" whom she represents knows the problem and would like to check it out first hand. They know the box is not the cause. I'll keep you all advised.

To follow up the above with not very encouraging results - A "tech" (Pierre) just left my house after checking the box levels and hearing MY history of the Del HD Bug. HE did not have the info and experience with the issue I had hoped for but he did call a "supervisory tech" at my insistence while he was here to see if THAT person knew what in the hell was going on. Sure enough the super was aware of the problem and gave this information. Comcast understands the problem and did in fact implement a fix for it on March 1. It did not work and they returned to "square one". He could give not (or would not) give an estimate of another fix date. Although the service call proved useless I at least got the impression someone there knows the problem and is working on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:

To follow up the above with not very encouraging results - A "tech" (Pierre) just left my house after checking the box levels and hearing MY history of the Del HD Bug. HE did not have the info and experience with the issue I had hoped for but he did call a "supervisory tech" at my insistence while he was here to see if THAT person knew what in the hell was going on. Sure enough the super was aware of the problem and gave this information. Comcast understands the problem and did in fact implement a fix for it on March 1. It did not work and they returned to "square one". He could give not (or would not) give an estimate of another fix date. Although the service call proved useless I at least got the impression someone there knows the problem and is working on it.

My guess is that the "fix" they implemented was the 9.15 firmware update and they were hoping that they would get lucky.

I'd like to speculate in case someone from Comcast really does monitor this thread. It seems to me that the cause must be some kind of interference associated with the second tuner or the splitter to the second tuner. Otherwise, why wouldn't it affect the first tuner? If it is interference (bad shielding, whatever), the only solution would be to change the portion of the bandwidth used for these channels (probably back to where it was before the change for digital simulcast). I guess you can build a new box and remove the interference problem, but I'm guessing that would take a lot longer than just changing the channels around.

I don't really expect any response to this speculation. Just makes me feel better to state my opinion. Back to your regular programming.
post #63 of 604 Old 03-05-2005, 03:22 PM

spoke to a comcast rep today. said he was new to de calls, and this was the first he heard of this. i pointed him to these forums, because he was curious. he called someone, i beleive and engineer, while i was on hold, came back and said they know of the problem, have not yet been able to track it down, and therefore, there is no fix in the works yet. his only suggestion was to maybe try another box(dunno if i want to bother, this is my second box).i mentioned i heard about a fix for this monday, and he said that was nothing more than rumor, since they have no idea what is causing the problem yet.
jim
post #64 of 604 Old 03-06-2005, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

cgoldst;

So calling "corporate" didn't help. This is getting VERY frustrating.

Carl Jones
post #65 of 604 Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Believe me, Comcast corporate is well aware of this issue.

Louder is NOT better!
post #66 of 604 Old 03-06-2005, 11:55 AM

Jwhip,

Good to see you have found the DE posts. What is your insight on the bug, and do you care to speculate on a time frame as to when the problem will be fixed?

Chris Lowry
post #67 of 604 Old 03-06-2005, 12:55 PM

I just got the 6412 this weekend. I was unable to get any digital channels at all, just the regular analog channels. Made some calls to Comcast, they said things look good from their end, and offered to send a tech out. In the meantime, I tried a small signal amp and it allowed me to get some of the digitals, but with pixellation on some channels. Thinking the old, original cable in the walls wasn't helping anything, I pulled in new run of RG6 (fortunately, my nephew was over so I was able to enlist his help). Now, I'm getting all the channels I'm supposed to - however, when I swap tuners, I still have pixellation and the on-demand content is unwatchable on the second tuner.

It sure seems like this issue has something to do with signal strength, but it doesn't really make sense that it affects only one of the tuners. Does this sound like the same issue others are seeing in Delaware?

J.B.
post #68 of 604 Old 03-06-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 478
KNock on wood but I do not have the bug and can't comment on its origin. I am checking though with Comcast and will let you know when I hear something definitive.

Louder is NOT better!
post #69 of 604 Old 03-07-2005, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JWhip
Believe me, Comcast corporate is well aware of this issue.

Yeah, I know they are aware. I'ts just getting frustrating for all of us. This Wednesday will mark three weeks with this problem.

Fortunately, this board has helped a number of us work around this second tuner problem well enough not to miss too many shows.

Carl Jones
post #70 of 604 Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 AM

We need to keep after them to provide us with credits. They will have to deal with this issue if we all refuse to pay.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #71 of 604 Old 03-07-2005, 08:06 PM

just as a heads up, i saw a post on the dslreports forum.someone in delaware who seems to be having the problem we all are claims to have gotten it fixed. said his neighbor had the problem as well. i asked some specific questions to try to find out if it truly is the same problem....and am waiting for a response.anyway, said they changed splitters checked signal stregnth.....all the same crap they did for me, but he said they fixed it by running a new wire from his pole to his house...interesting...my wire is underground, so im sure this is no easy task, but it could explain why this is a local problem to delaware.all he said was certain hd channels and dropouts and fading every few seconds, so im hoping he responds to my questions.
jim
post #72 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimgman
just as a heads up, i saw a post on the dslreports forum.someone in delaware who seems to be having the problem we all are claims to have gotten it fixed. said his neighbor had the problem as well. i asked some specific questions to try to find out if it truly is the same problem....and am waiting for a response.anyway, said they changed splitters checked signal stregnth.....all the same crap they did for me, but he said they fixed it by running a new wire from his pole to his house...interesting...my wire is underground, so im sure this is no easy task, but it could explain why this is a local problem to delaware.all he said was certain hd channels and dropouts and fading every few seconds, so im hoping he responds to my questions.jim

This is interesting he says that he has the Comcast Dual Tuner but doesn't say it is a DVR. Does Comcast have a dual tuner that is not a DVR, I wouldn't see the point.

Anyway I moved into my new Home in October 2004 so my cable line (also underground) should be new. I would seem silly for Comcast to use old cable at a new construction site.

post #73 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by quartrj
This is interesting he says that he has the Comcast Dual Tuner but doesn’t say it is a DVR. Does Comcast have a dual tuner that is not a DVR, I wouldn't see the point.

Anyway I moved into my new Home in October 2004 so my cable line (also underground) should be new. I would seem silly for Comcast to use old cable at a new construction site.

The supervisor from Comcast called this AM to see if the problem was fixed. As of last night it had not been. I turned on the set and low and behold 3 of the 4 channels ABC, NBC and PBS ARE WORKING PROPERLY!!! CBS on the one tuner remains with audio and video drop outs. I reported that and she will get back to me. I am curious as to whether everyone else has the same changes as of this AM. I was by the way impressed they called to inquire.
post #74 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 07:47 AM

I am happy to report that my box seems to be functioning properly. Let's hope we have a fix! Thanks to Carl for his persistence and support in this matter

Chris Lowry
post #75 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rxlowry
I am happy to report that my box seems to be functioning properly. Let's hope we have a fix! Thanks to Carl for his persistence and support in this matter

Chris, leave CBS (233) on for a while on the bad tuner and see if yours remains stable. Mine starts breaking up after a few minutes (although as I said the rest of the networks are now fine).
post #76 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Any idea what the fix is? Was there a software update done?
post #77 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blackngold75
Any idea what the fix is? Was there a software update done?

The person I spoke with did not know.
post #78 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Chris, leave CBS (233) on for a while on the bad tuner and see if yours remains stable. Mine starts breaking up after a few minutes (although as I said the rest of the networks are now fine).

Yep all channels are working properly now on the 2nd tuner with the exception of CBS. Still seeing pixelation, but not as severe as before.
post #79 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm interesting news!! I'm not able to check but will tonight.

Rxlowry; I had nothing to do with it! I'm just after them the same as you folks.

Carl Jones
post #80 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 10:21 AM

I have a tech coming out tomorrow, since I am having some sort of signal problem - Comcast says they can't get a signal to go through to my box. Hopefully, they'll get that worked out and there will also be a "fix" as mentioned above. The 6412 is pretty cool when it works.
post #81 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM

yay, something has happened....im still seeing correctable error counts, but they have dropped signifigantly.ive also seen a dropout or 2 so far in a couple of minutes, but its like 10 times better, and seems quite usable and watchable now.....kudos to comcast for at least trying, and not saying, well its only a handful of people, so screw them, lol.
jim
post #82 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by blackngold75
I have a tech coming out tomorrow, since I am having some sort of signal problem - Comcast says they can't get a signal to go through to my box. Hopefully, they'll get that worked out and there will also be a "fix" as mentioned above. The 6412 is pretty cool when it works.

Yeah, it IS pretty cool when it works. All complaining aside, my wife and I really enjoy watching shows via the DVR with the "skip" function in hand.

Good luck with your issue too!

Carl Jones
post #83 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jimgman
yay, something has happened....im still seeing correctable error counts, but they have dropped signifigantly.ive also seen a dropout or 2 so far in a couple of minutes, but its like 10 times better, and seems quite usable and watchable now.....kudos to comcast for at least trying, and not saying, well its only a handful of people, so screw them, lol.
jim

I'm looking foward to checking this out tonight myself!!

Carl Jones
post #84 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 12:17 PM

Liked: 11
I just got home and tried the 2nd tuner HD channels and for the most part they are looking good. I agree that CBS still has some video pixelation, but I haven't noticed audio breakup yet. I am supposed to have a tech out here 7-9AM on Friday, so if this keeps up, I'll cancel the appointment. I will call Comcast in DE again and congratulate them on what they've done so far and encourage them to tweak it just a bit more for CBS.

And I was just getting used to reading (and hearing) between the lines on my recorded stuff

Peace,
BJMoose
post #85 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 02:52 PM

As has been mentioned, the HD networks seem vastly improved, but not quite perfect. I called Comcast this afternoon and cancelled my tech appointment for Friday and I congratulated the CSR for getting us this far. She was aware of the fix and in her words, "we sent a global bullet to those who were affected by this problem."

I asked if she could tell me exactly what was causing the problem, but she said she didn't know. Anyway, there are still some correctable errors popping up, but I haven't seen any uncorrectable errors thus far. I'm going to try to post a link to some screen shots of my D04 screen with both tuners set on ABC, then NBC, then CBS.

http://home.comcast.net/~pastorjim01/d04_shot/d04.htm

I'm not sure why if the AGC is 54 on tuner 1 and that registers GOOD, how does 41 on tuner 2 only register FAIR. The lower the AGC the better, right? NBC still has some minor audio breakup, but not much. CBS has some video pixalation, but nowhere near as much as before.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #86 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 PM

After my morning call from Comcast and my reported observations to them the Corporate Representative and a Tech supervisor both called to check on the status. I explained about the continuing CBS problem and the improved but not quite perfect NBC and PBS stations(you need to leave these services on a while to see the defects). The Tech explained there may be just enough difference in the signal strength between the two tuners to cause the problem when other "demands" are made on the system as was the case 2/16 with the digital changes. He also said ANY signal loss like splitters etc. can become critical under changed circumstance even tho (as he understood) all of us were experiencing the same drop outs. They are aware of and have been monitoring this group. He wanted to send someone out to look at my service now that there is improvement and things have changed. A person conversant with the situation is to come out tomorrow. In my opinion, Comcast has been quite responsive to our needs. They realize things are not were they need to be and are continuing to work on the problem.

(The other) Carl
post #87 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Great Carl, thanks for the update! =)

It's good to hear something is being done.

Mike
post #88 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 PM

I confirmed this morning and this evening that I am no longer seeing the audio drops and pixelation. I also confirmed that I'm running firmware 9.15. I did see problems last night, but didn't check firmware version last night. It's very possible that the new firmware was sent down overnight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Up til now, I couldn't go more than 10 seconds on NBC or CBS HD channels without audio dropping out and pixelation.
post #89 of 604 Old 03-08-2005, 08:29 PM

There were still some minor problems with NBC and CBS tonight, but nothing like before. However, I tried to watch House on FOX HD and there was a lot of interference through both tuners. Could be all the wind we've been having so I'll wait a bit before I pass judgment.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #90 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
There were still some minor problems with NBC and CBS tonight, but nothing like before. However, I tried to watch House on FOX HD and there was a lot of interference through both tuners. Could be all the wind we've been having so I'll wait a bit before I pass judgment.

FOX HD has never been a problem for me and others here in this thread. Perhaps it was the wind as you said or maybe you have another different problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page