Delaware - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Things ARE much better!! I'm trying to find out what was done. I really believe this forum has helped all of us & kudos to Comcast for helping out such a small portion of their customer base. Don't stop yet though...there are STILL some droputs observed which need to be corrected.

Carl Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll check mine tonight. Haven't been able to check the board for a few days. Maybe that 70degree day had something to do with it. A warm day allows the cable to expand thus increasing bandwidth...ha ha kidding of course.
post #93 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 12:20 PM

Is it recommended that everyone report to Comcast that the situation has improved, but that there still are problems? I noticed on CBS last night that I was still experiencing dropouts, but only about one every 3-5 minutes as opposed to one every 30 seconds before.
post #94 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 02:17 PM

I had a tech out here this afternoon - seemed pretty knowledgeably and very helpful. Among the things that had to be done
- A temporary cable had to be pulled in - the existing underground cable was bad.
- After that, I still had pixellation problems on the 2nd tuner, on all digital channels. He swapped the box out for another, and that seemed to solve the 2nd tuner problem.

I've had only a little bit of time to watch HD content, but so far things look good on both. I also heard the technician speaking to another tech via the phone: supposedly a software fix was sent out recently to correct a problem with the 2nd DVR tuner breaking up when the first tuner was on the same channel. Don't know if that same fix is the one that seems to be solving the problems reported in this thread.

I used to really dislike Comcast, due mostly to a bad customer service experience I had several years ago. But, the service associated with everything I have done with Comcast recently (Internet, cable DVR) has been outstanding, both with customer service and tech support.
post #95 of 604 Old 03-09-2005, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I just ran a quick test...it confirms what has already been said.
I put on NBC (good tuner). Switched to the bad tuner which was already on NBC and I got an immediate freeze. In fact, it locked up on me. I changed channel to ABC (on bad tuner). No dropouts for the three minutes I watched. Changed back to NBC (on bad tuner). Watched for three minutes. One freeze. Much better, but still not perfect.
post #96 of 604 Old 03-10-2005, 11:39 AM

i recorded lost and alias on abc last night, and i did have dropouts about every 5 minutes or so. this is a vast improvement, but noone else mentioned abc, am i the only one still having any dopouts on abc?
jim
post #97 of 604 Old 03-10-2005, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I recorded Lost and Alias last night too. There were no issues at all on Lost. I haven't looked at Alias yet. I'll try and check it tonight.
post #98 of 604 Old 03-10-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, Alias had some minor glitches.

I've been watching NBC tonight. I'm still getting dropouts. Very sporadic. I had three in one minute, then the next one 5 minutes later. So, the problem still exists. Comcast, keep up the good work. You're almost there.
post #99 of 604 Old 03-10-2005, 09:12 PM

I recorded Survivor & Apprentice tonight and NBC had no noticeable glitches during Apprentice, but CBS had quite a few during Survivor. Maybe every 2-3 minutes and 1 0r 2 that the audio dropped for more than a few spoken words. CBS had more audio drop-outs than pixelation this time, and some audio dropped with no pixelation at all. Definitely better, but still not perfect.

Chris Lowry
post #100 of 604 Old 03-11-2005, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, the dropouts are still there. Nowhere near as bad, but still there. Please continue to e-mail or call in your complaints until our issue is resolved.

Carl Jones
post #101 of 604 Old 03-11-2005, 07:25 AM

I think things have deteriorated a bit over the last day or so (of course still far better than it was at first). CBS (233) particularly has had an increase in the intensity and frequency of the audio and video problems . ABC, NBC and PBS continue to have very occasional dropouts. Comcast wants to know about these developments so if you are experiencing what I am I encourage you to call/e-mail them as I have.
post #102 of 604 Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
I emailed Comcast again this morning with an update as to what I'm experiencing on the Networks. They emailed back this afternoon acknowledging that they are aware that the problem still exists and are continuing to work toward eliminating it.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #103 of 604 Old 03-12-2005, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've noticed that CBS is more severe as well.

Carl Jones
post #104 of 604 Old 03-12-2005, 05:06 PM

Hello,

Sorry I came into this thread late, but I was looking to see if anyone thought this was the same problem.

I use my Qam tuner on my Hitachi to pick up my locals and HD over comcast. I just pay the basic cable and have been getting the local HD for since 2003.

Since I haven't been able to check out tv for a while, I noticed my HD channels must of been moved since they were no longer in the areas of 79-1 to 83-5. I now have the basic cable channels - Comedy central, BET, Cspan...etc.

The HD now seem to be up around 111-1 which is Fox, 111-2 is now the WB. Now all the HD channels are pixelated and unwatchable with a signal strength in the 50s. They lock in occasionally and the analogs are all fine on the lower Qam channels.

Anyone else having these problems with a Qam tuner?

Did Comcast have a channel shift?

Thanks
post #105 of 604 Old 03-13-2005, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jim;

I don't have a QAM tuner (hopefully someone local will jump in) but I have noticed folks in the Philly thread discussing recent changes by Comcast which has led them to re-scan.

Carl Jones
post #106 of 604 Old 03-14-2005, 01:22 PM

Thanks Carl,

I removed a splitter and I was able to get a few of the HD channels. I am now able to get 29, and the WB. For some reason, my TV won't scan above 104. I am not sure if they did something to stop it from scanning higher. I unplug the cable line and it scans above 104, but as soon as I plug it back in it only goes to 104 weird?

But like I said, I haven't checked it for a few months since I use D*

If anyone knows the Qam numbers for New Castle, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jim
post #107 of 604 Old 03-15-2005, 03:28 PM

I'm having a tech come out tomorrow afternoon (again) to measure the audio/video breakup on tuner 2 now as opposed to the way it was prior to the headend fix. Also, he's supposed to replace a 6200 digital HD box that's not picking up the digital channels or 3 of the HD channels with a 6412. When I picked up the 6200 last weekend, they told me I couldn't get a second DVR. On the telephone the CSR promised me she'd make sure the tech brought a 6412 to replace the non-working 6200. I'll keep you advised. Also, it will be interesting to compare serial numbers on the boxes and to see if there's any difference in the tuner 2 problem between the boxes.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #108 of 604 Old 03-15-2005, 07:16 PM

Comcast has moved analog channels to a 256 qam digital base. The problems with your DVR's may be subscriber based (equipment), or transmission based (qam clipping or tiling). Problem seems equipment based in delaware area, but still checking. I got referred to this thread by a friend.

Yeah, Thats right!
post #109 of 604 Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 PM

Just an FYI. Things in Philly are somewhat better as well. Dropouts/pixelation is less frequent though still a problem.

-Tim
post #110 of 604 Old 03-16-2005, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by motleycruefan
Comcast has moved analog channels to a 256 qam digital base. The problems with your DVR's may be subscriber based (equipment), or transmission based (qam clipping or tiling). Problem seems equipment based in delaware area, but still checking. I got referred to this thread by a friend.

You sure sound like Comcast, regardless, welcome! Only SOME analog channels have moved (as reported in the Philly thread). If problem WAS equipment, The number of us who have changed out boxes would have seen SOME differences (at least some of us would) but we did not. Dropouts begin disapearing last week without a new box.

Droputs are almost gone now EXCEPT for CBS which continues.

Carl Jones
post #111 of 604 Old 03-16-2005, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Skripchuk
Thanks Carl,

I removed a splitter and I was able to get a few of the HD channels. I am now able to get 29, and the WB. For some reason, my TV won't scan above 104. I am not sure if they did something to stop it from scanning higher. I unplug the cable line and it scans above 104, but as soon as I plug it back in it only goes to 104 weird?

But like I said, I haven't checked it for a few months since I use D*

If anyone knows the Qam numbers for New Castle, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jim

Jim;

Did you check the Philly thread? If so, did it help?

Carl Jones
post #112 of 604 Old 03-16-2005, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI...Comcast announced a deal with Tivo
http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...omcastpla.html
post #113 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 06:31 AM

I had a tech (actually 2 of them) come out yesterday and they replaced both of my boxes (now have 2 new 6412s) and they replaced the cable from the pole to my house and they reworked the splitters and cabling up in the attic.

The tech who arrived first assured me that the problem with the 2nd tuner was box related (said it was indicative of a certain serial number series) as he trashed Motorola and praised Scientific Atlanta. I wasn't a 100% convinced he understood the problem, although he swore he did. He told me it was happening on channels other that the HD channels and I repeatedly told him that I and several others had not had that experience.

When I asked him if he was referring to the 'freezing' problem that many others had been reporting, he said no...he had a DVR and knew what I was talking about. He also said that using a signal booster at the set level would ruin the box (I had removed my booster before he arrived).

My confidence in him waned even more when I asked him about the quality of the 'stretch' feature on the 6412 as opposed to the TV. He said the 6412 didn't have a Stretch feature. When I showed it to him, he said that must be something new. I've had the box since November and I've always had that ability.

Anyway, after rewiring the house, new spitters and new boxes, and then after waiting for almost 25 minutes for the headend to initiate the boxes, he finally told me all was fixed and the problem was gone. I asked if we could test it out and he agreed. I turned the 2nd tuner to CBS and guess what...the same audio/video breakup as before (after the last 'fix'). He said he didn't see what I was showing him.

So we went to the d04 screen and I pointed out the continuing correctable errors. He said I'd have to talk to Motorola about that. When I asked him about why sometimes an AGC of 70 was GOOD and sometimes it was FAIR, he said I had to talk to Motorola about that.

Well, at least I now have 2 new 6412s (last week they wouldn't let me have the second one...said they were in short supply) and new wiring throughout the house. I recorded some stuff last night, so I'll report on the quality of the recordings to see if there is any improvement at all as regards the new boxes.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #114 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BJMoose;

Thanks for your report & ignore my post on the 6412 thread if you haven't already. Once again, trading out the box doesn't do much if anything it would appear with the second tuner issue. I hope your analog channels improved with the re-wiring!

Carl Jones
post #115 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
I had a tech (actually 2 of them) come out yesterday ...he finally told me all was fixed and the problem was gone. I asked if we could test it out and he agreed. I turned the 2nd tuner to CBS and guess what...the same audio/video breakup as before (after the last 'fix'). He said he didn't see what I was showing him.

This is the scary part you had two COMCAST tech's at your house and they told you they didn't see the problem. I can only imagine it went something like this:

You're watching on the second tuner, the techs are watching also, and you see the video tiling and hear the audio drop out and you say

BJMoose: "See right there"
Tech-01: "What? I must have missed it"
BJMoose: "That's ok keep watching it will happen again soon"

It happens again

BJMoose: See there it is again."
Tech-02: "Huh? I didn't see anything."

And so it continues

BJMoose: Right there
Tech-01: What?
BJMoose: See there
Tech-02: Huh?

And again

BJMoose: Right there
Tech-01: What?
BJMoose: See there
Tech-02: Huh?
BJMoose: Hang on

BJMoose rewinds the video and steps it forward until the video tiling is frozen on the screen walks up to his TV and points to the problem.

BJMoose: See right here this part of the picture is screwed up.
Tech-01: Man that HD picture looks great.
Tech-02: I couldn't agree with you more.

BJMoose throws his hands up in disgust.

BJMoose: Out both of you get out of my house
Tech-01: Ok Ok just sign here saying that we fixed your problem.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #116 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 AM

I guess there are 2 "second-tuner" issues - the second of which is not what has been the subject of discussion here. My first 6412 was breaking up on almost all channels on the second tuner. A box swap a week ago fixed that problem. Actually, other than CBS-HD, I have not noticed pixellation on either tuner since the swap.

The "anti-Motorola" sentiment must be shared among the techs - the guy who came to my house also complained that the Motorola boxes were problematic, and that he wished they were using Scientific-Atlanta boxes. I though I just read that Comcast signed a big deal with Motorola to supply set top boxes...
post #117 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You did. Moto got a BIG order from Comcast. I think their "easy answer" is to blame the box. I'm not saying the box doesn't have issues, but again, it's human nature to blame someone else and I don't think those folks talk to each other (department a vs. department b) very much.
Until they are blasted with lots of calls from around the area complaining about the same thing (like we did recently), they are quick to blame the 'ol box. I wonder if Moto pays for all these swap outs??

It was about a week ago, we all started to see less drop outs.

Carl Jones
post #118 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
Jim;

Did you check the Philly thread? If so, did it help?

Carl,

Yes I did, thank you. They don't match up exactly, but I did find cbs and whyy and a few others

Now if anyone knows the Qam numbers for NBC HD and ABC HD I would greatly appreciate it. Just can't seem to find them.

Thanks again,

Jim
post #119 of 604 Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by quartrj
This is the scary part you had two COMCAST tech's at your house and they told you they didn't see the problem. I can only imagine it went something like this:

Wow, you must have been listening in on our conversation. Pretty near how it went, except it was live tv on the 2nd tuner and since it was only happening every minute or so, we only did 3 takes of your scenario and I just gave up.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #120 of 604 Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
Wow, you must have been listening in on our conversation...

It's amazing what can be done with those little wireless cameras these days.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page