I was thinking this thread was dead and that folks had just given up on the problem. I've still been experiencing the same 2nd tuner stuff and I've continued emailing and calling Comcast. Emails have gotten no replies and phone calls have brought no joy. But I have to share what happened tonight.
I called Comcast about another situation that I wanted info about. I'm trading in my DLP for an LCD TV because of rainbows. The LCD has cablecard capabilities and a built in HD tuner. So I wanted to see if I could get a cablecard in addition to the 6412 so I could record on tuner 1 and not have to watch the choppy tuner 2. I would be able get a supposedly better picture from the cablecard tuner as opposed to going through the box. I was only asking if Comcast would allow both on the same TV without charging extra for the service. Imagine my surprise when the CSR (Lisa) told me they wouldn't work together (I knew they would because they'd be hooked to different inputs...just surprised she didn't know that). After checking with a headend tech, she told me I could do it, but get this...Comast would charge me an additional 14.95 a month for the card (that's 4.95 more than the dual tuner DVR). After a good laugh, I think Lisa agreed with me that Comcast of New Castle County (even though they have to provide the card by directive) doesn't really want to deal with them. She said even if I bought one elsewhere, Comcast wouldn't turn it on or support it. So much for that idea.
Next, Lisa swears that there has been no sumilcasting of any analog channels in Delaware. When I asked about all those channels that now show DD on the info line and that all of a sudden they appear just as clear as digital channels, she said they're not digital. Hmmm!
Anyway, our conversation got around to the 2nd tuner problem and she said that she wasn't experiencing that problem and that apparantly every tech we've spoken to has misinterpreted what we've been talking about as the freezing problem that was fixed by the software upgrade patch. When I told her about the number of times we've all explained this 2nd tuner thing to CSRs and Techs, she basically said they all have been thinking we've been talking about something else. I couldn't convince her that folks at comcast acknowledged this as a headend problem, even though something they did on their end did make an improvement.
While I was on the line, she contacted a tech at the headend and it appeared that nobody really knew about this and the tech said s/he will contact Motorola with my description because it is a problem on their end. She guarranteed me I would receive a follow-up call once they've determined what's wrong. I did tell her I would hold my breath waiting. I know they're going to want to send another tech out, but unless it's a Motorola tech, I don't think I'm going to waste anymore time on my days off concerning this problem. I'm getting tired of telling the whole story from scratch and hearing the shock and surprise of the techs and CSRs.
Just thought I'd share this story. If anything does happen, I'll continue to keep you informed.