Delaware - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 604 Old 04-07-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe they are testing some channels here, others there, etc. etc. That's why we cannot let up, things may get better for awhile, then bad again. The ONLY thing we can do is to continue to send our consistant message to them, "it's not fixed".

As for a Moto tech, good luck & let us know if indeed a Moto tech comes out and get their name! They told me that once too (and CGoldST too) I believe.

Carl Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 604 Old 04-08-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wrighda
Actually, this sounds believable. What I don't understand is why they couldn't switch the QAMs back to where they were before...

I'm certian that this is not something they are willing to do. We are a small portion of their customer base.

Someone at COMCAST is responsible for the Digital simulcast rollout and they are not going to modify their plan to satisfy us.

They have their eye on the bigger picture, converting all those non digital customers by tempting them with a clear picture and digital sound.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #183 of 604 Old 04-08-2005, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Jones
As for a Moto tech, good luck & let us know if indeed a Moto tech comes out and get their name! They told me that once too (and CGoldST too) I believe.

Two days later and still no call back from either Comcast or Motorola. I've not been one to leave my box on all the time, but tomorrow my Sony 55XS955 is being delivered (turning my Panasonic 50DL54 back in because of rainbows) and since it has a built in HD tuner, I may just leave my box on tuner two all the time to record on tuner 1 and watch the network HD channels through the TV's tuner.

Does anyone know how the 6412 chooses what channel it records on what tuner when recording 2 things at the same time? If there's a particular show that I'm more interested in than the other that is being recorded, I'd like that to be recorded on tuner 1. Does the lower number channel get recorded first to the tuner not in use?

Peace,
BJMoose
post #184 of 604 Old 04-08-2005, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BJMoose;

I don't know HOW it chooses which channel, but I force the issue by having 2nd. tuner on & set recording 1 minute early (if I'm recording two shows at the same time) for the channel most likely to have dropouts (ie CBS 1 minute early, Fox on time).

Carl Jones
post #185 of 604 Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 PM

Than ks Carl,

Good idea about forcing it a minute early. I'll have to remember to do that. BTW, I noticed on the other thread that Comcast is working on a way to force us to watch a menu of previews (will come on when box comes on). I guess another plus for leaving the box on all the time. Seems they don't have any trouble implementing that kind of stuff but have such a hard time making their equipment work as it should.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #186 of 604 Old 04-10-2005, 09:35 PM

Anyone know if Comcast in New Castle Co. will give a firewire enable motorola 6200 on request without much hassle? I've had a horrid time getting QAM to work with my Mythtv system so now I'm considering using a 6200 with firewire out.
post #187 of 604 Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 AM

I just tried calling comcast and asking for a Moto 6200 with firewire enabled. they pretty much told me they don't have them enabled on their hardware. Can anyone confirm this?
post #188 of 604 Old 04-12-2005, 05:21 AM

It's been 5 and a half days, and still no return call from either Comcast or Motorola as I was promised. Sure glad I didn't hold my breath waiting.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #189 of 604 Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tube013
I just tried calling comcast and asking for a Moto 6200 with firewire enabled. they pretty much told me they don't have them enabled on their hardware. Can anyone confirm this?

I had the 6200 before I traded it for the 6412. Firewire worked for recording to my DVHS. Comcasts standard answer is "we don't support firewire" but it DOES work.

Carl Jones
post #190 of 604 Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
It's been 5 and a half days, and still no return call from either Comcast or Motorola as I was promised. Sure glad I didn't hold my breath waiting.

Keep after them.

Carl Jones
post #191 of 604 Old 04-14-2005, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see more reports in Philly on the 2nd. tuner problem, sounds like this "virus" is spreading.

Carl Jones
post #192 of 604 Old 04-15-2005, 06:35 AM

Quote:

I see more reports in Philly on the 2nd. tuner problem, sounds like this "virus" is spreading.

Yeah sounds alot like our issue so I gave them some information about our problem in the following post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...53#post5483953

post #193 of 604 Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 AM

Just spoke to COMCAST's engineering group regarding our 2nd tuner issue. There are a few items they want to address to eliminate any doubt as to the cause, but he believes that this is a problem with the design of the 6412.

The plan is to address these few items and then send it to Motorola for resolution.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad.

post #194 of 604 Old 04-15-2005, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see your posts in the Philly thread. As for whether or not it's a "good thing"... what can it hurt now? This whole issue is extremely frustrating. They obviously do not know what's causing this...but it's not ALL motorola. If so, other areas around the country would be screaming like us. Good to see you keep hounding this issue.

Carl Jones
post #195 of 604 Old 04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
Just spoke to COMCAST's engineering group regarding our 2nd tuner issue. There are a few items they want to address to eliminate any doubt as to the cause, but he believes that this is a problem with the design of the 6412.

The plan is to address these few items and then send it to Motorola for resolution.

Are you talking to someone on a National or at least a Regional level?
If you are, please mention Willow Grove, PA and Center City Phila, PA.

So, they can resolve this on a national level; whether they have the problem or not, we can see now, that the potential is there in any area.

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or bad.

Well, this is good, assuming this is a firmware issue?
Otherwise, they would have to recall all of the DVRs.

If they don't fix this, what good is full-bandwith HD, if I don't have a DVR; I would rather get Directv.
post #196 of 604 Old 04-16-2005, 02:30 PM

I think that it is rediculous to blame this on Motorola. To me, it seems like Comcast did SOMETHING to screw this up. Afterall, both tuners were working FINE until suddenly the 2nd one got screwy.

-Tim
post #197 of 604 Old 04-17-2005, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was fine until the digital simulcasts begin. However, I don't think our problem is any one thing. If it was I'm sure the resolution would be just as simple. Keep complaining to Comcast.
I'm sorry to see you guys are seeing the problem too BUT the more we have complaining about this, the better chance we have of being heard. Our little State has been complaining for two months now, welcome aboard!

Carl Jones
post #198 of 604 Old 04-17-2005, 01:32 PM

It's been 10 days and still no call backs from Motorola or Comcast. I'm beginning to believe that the Comcast philosophy is to just tell the customer what they want to hear, be very simpathetic to their problems, let them think you're going to help them...and then just hope the customer won't call back. If they do, odds are they're going to get someone entirely different to talk to, so the placating can begin all over again.

For me, I think I'll just hold out until the next latest, greatest technological breakthough occurs and hope it's better.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #199 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's called, "passing the buck"!!

Carl Jones
post #200 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
It's called, "passing the buck"!!

Yeah...but unfortunately, it's my bucks that are being passed !

Peace,
BJMoose
post #201 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 05:32 AM

I have a question for anyone who has a built in ATSC tuner and just the basic Comcast service. Currently, I have 2 6412s with HD service. I recently returned a DLP set for an LCD RP set that has a built in ATSC tuner. On that tuner (connected by coax from the wall), besides the basic channels, I get several digital channels, plus at least 8 HD channels (INHD, INHD2, PBS, WB, FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS). Does anyone know if I will still get all these channels if I switch back to basic? Or am I receiving them only because I subscribe to Digital and HD? Would the built in ATSC tuner receive them anyway. Thanks.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #202 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do you have a Qam tuner?? You don't mean a ATSC tuner do you?

Carl Jones
post #203 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Do you have a Qam tuner?? You don't mean a ATSC tuner do you?

I have a Sony KDF-55XS955 and it has built in NTSC and HD ATSC tuners. I don't know enough about the technology to know if all HD ATSC tuners are also QAM. It must if I can receive analog, digital, and HD channels that are not encrypted. I receive G4Tech TV which is digital (among others), all the analogs on 2 through 99, and the HD channels I mentioned above.

I have my 6412 connected via DVI to HDMI and a separate coax (split from the wall) to the coax input on my TV. So if I wanted to, I can watch one live HD channel while recording 2 on the DVR (albeit, one rather poor recording on the 2nd tuner).

Peace,
BJMoose
post #204 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast broadcasts (as do other cable companies) via QAM. ATSC is a digital tuner to pick up OTA digital signals (not QAM) while the NTSC we all know & love picks up your regular analog broadcasts. So you must have a QAM tuner built in your SONY....cool.

Carl Jones
post #205 of 604 Old 04-18-2005, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Part of our problem with Comcast, by the way, IS their QAM signal. They have been experimenting with several QAM setups for the digital simulcasts. When we first experienced our dropout issues (remember how severe & unwatchable they were?) they were on one QAM frequency & quickly switched when we started to complain. As I understand it, they are STILL tweaking it. As a point for you, todays channels received by you may change the next day so don't be suprised if all of a sudden you are no longer getting what you were. A simple re scan should get them back for you.

Carl Jones
post #206 of 604 Old 04-19-2005, 08:15 PM

I'm a little late to this game. I guess it never occurred to me that there would be a thread just for us lonely Delaware people.

I've read all of the posts about dropouts and pixelation. I just have to add that I don't think it has anything to do with the dual tuners. I've got the single tuner DVR (2408?) and have the exact same problem. Two months ago, I did get the 2412 dual tuner DVR. I brought it home (had to go to New Castle to pick it up) and plugged it in. It had the same problems described here. The next day it locked up and died. I took it back to the Comcast center and they wouldn't give me a new one. They said they were in short supply! Anyway, they gave me a new 2408. I went home and plugged it back in and the same problem still existed.

So, I've had 3 DVRs since they started offering the service. All 3 of them have had the exact same problem. The techs have been out to the house 3 times now and have done all of the things mentioned in this thread (replaced cable, external splitters, etc). My line voltage is fine. I still have the problem.

The latest visit from Comcast was this last Sunday. Some of you may have had this guy before...I'll describe him. He was useless, late 20s, bald (or shaved head), white, 6'1", 210lbs. He turned on the TV, checked the voltage, and said "Its working fine. Call us if you have any further problems." And then he left.

Not being able to watch CSI or Joan of Arcadia in HD without the disruptions is making me a little crazy. I will say that the problem has slightly improved from a few months ago. Still, it is far from acceptable.

Ok, now that I'm done spilling my guts and complaining...

Is anybody here in Northern DE able to get the Philly HD channels OTA? Or, can we get the national HD feeds from D* since we live in the burbs?
post #207 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 04:56 AM

FaceDown,

The problem you're describing may be a bit different from the 2nd tuner problem we've been talking about. You mention that you can't watch live TV without this happening. For most of us, this is strictly happening on the 2nd tuner to ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. Watching and recording on tuner one is generally fine. Our problem is much improved over the way it was a couple of months ago. Now, there are occasional (some channels more often than others) audio/video blips. Prior to this, the problem occurred every 4-6 seconds...but only on tuner 2. I had the 6408 and had no such problems.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #208 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it me or has the DVR been slower to change channels?
Maybe I'm just getting used to it but I swear since a few months ago after so called 'upgrades' the tuner has gotten slower.
post #209 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 07:53 AM

FaceDown,

not sure why you are seeing problems that severe with Comcast HD channels. I would keep on them about it, as you are paying for the service. They have been pretty good with me, as far as customer service. Hopefully, they will resolve the problems.

As far as OTA - it depends on where exactly you are located. I am in a decent spot - with just an indoor antenna, I can get all the Philly locals OTA.
post #210 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The cutouts I've been experiencing have lasted for about 4-6 seconds and happen every 5-10 minutes. I thought that sounded similar to what others were seeing. I wouldn't doubt for a second, however, that it is something completely different. Thank you for the input. I only see these problems on the broadcast channels in HD (NBC, ABC, CBS, and occasionally FOX). When I record shows, these cutouts are also recorded. As you suggested, I'll just have to keep on them.

It is good to know about the possibility of picking up Philly OTA. Thanks. I live in/on Academy Hill in Newark. That might give me an advantage for reception. If that is the case then it makes D* look like a viable option. I'll have to investigate further.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page