Delaware - HDTV - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something else to keep in mind about D* - they are supposed to be rolling out HD locals via satellite for Philly market later this year. So you would also have the option of getting them that way.

OTA: being up higher helps. I am in a relatively high spot - but I notice more reliable reception with the antenna on the second floor compared to the first floor. I think I would have no OTA problems at all if I had an outdoor antenna.

Comcast DVR: Any dropouts I have seen have lasted for a second or two at most - certainly not minutes. As others have said, dropouts have been on 2nd tuner of 6412 DVR. Normally my service is solid - I decided to try out the Moto DVR before making the switch from D*, and have been pleased. Have not had problems at all like what you have been experiencing.

And, BTW: welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 604 Old 04-20-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:

And, BTW: welcome to the forum!

Thank you. I've been reading for a couple of years now. This seemed like a nice reason to register.
post #213 of 604 Old 04-21-2005, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe_R
Is it me or has the DVR been slower to change channels?
Maybe I'm just getting used to it but I swear since a few months ago after so called 'upgrades' the tuner has gotten slower.

Yeah, mine has gotten slower as well. I'm also "missing" recordings occasionally. It will show the recording & list correct time but when I go to play it, the delete option pops up immediately rendering the recording unwatchable. Man I HATE changing out that box again!!

Carl Jones
post #214 of 604 Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 PM

Second Tuner Problem still persists in my home. I called COMCAST and got another months credit.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #215 of 604 Old 04-28-2005, 12:50 PM

What - you just tell them you're getting the breakups on the second tuner and they give you a credit? What do they credit you - the DVR monthly fee? I noticed lately they have been quick to hand out credits for other issues. Since I'm seeing those same 2nd tuner issues, I'm thinking I should also give them a call.
post #216 of 604 Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blackngold75
What - you just tell them you're getting the breakups on the second tuner and they give you a credit? What do they credit you - the DVR monthly fee? I noticed lately they have been quick to hand out credits for other issues. Since I'm seeing those same 2nd tuner issues, I'm thinking I should also give them a call.

I tell them the truth. The only reason I have the DVR is to record, because the 2nd tuner breaks up it makes watching recordings very annoying. The audio drop out bothers me the most.

So they credit me for DVR charge. $9.95

Then I tell them the 6412 is my only Digital receiver.

So they credit me for my Digital Classic charge $9.95.

post #217 of 604 Old 04-29-2005, 08:23 AM

I decided to try the Comcast HD DVR package after being with D* & Tivo since 97. I like the Motorola 6412's overall but I am experiencing the same 1 or 2 second pixilation / sound drops every minute or so on recordings of HD programs.
I have a tech scheduled to come out to look at the problem but if nothing is done about this fast I am going back to D*.
post #218 of 604 Old 04-29-2005, 11:27 AM

Liked: 11
No offense, but you ought to get mentally prepared to go back to D* then. This problem has existed for months now and although it is much improved over the way it was when it first began, Comcast doesn't really seem to have a clue as to what's causing it. Every tech that comes to your house (and believe me, this group has probably seen every single one in DE) acts like they know exactly what's going on (which they don't), or they just exchange the box and say "sorry about that" when the problem persists on the new box. Good luck with your tech.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #219 of 604 Old 04-29-2005, 12:56 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

I have been working around the second tuner breakup problem for only 2.5 weeks, and I am thinking about switching, seeing as I read here that it will be 'late June hopefully' for a fix.

Is anybody here thinking about going to D*?
I know they only have HD lite, that is why I am not so sure, plus I would lose the Sixers, (getting boring unless they make some major changes) and Flyers, (if they ever come back); I have no interest in the Phillies anymore.
post #220 of 604 Old 04-29-2005, 02:01 PM

I tried the DirectTV HD DVR it costs $1,000.00. I'm really only interested in HD programming on the Local stations so out of the box I only got CBS and FOX.

DirectTV told me that they have to submit a waiver for me for ABC and NBC.

I tried it for 30 days but didn't get NBC or ABC in time and still to be able to return it to Circuit City.

So for me $1,000 just wasn't justified for only two stations.

post #221 of 604 Old 05-01-2005, 12:16 PM

I' sitting here watching the Sixer's game on ESPN HD (202)and comparing the PQ with the COMCAST HD feed on the adjacent channel (200). The difference is STARTLING! The ESPN picture is amazingly sharper, cleared, more detailed with deep and brilliant colors. The COMCAST picture is pale and washed out. Does anyone else see this difference? Can anyone explain it? And can anything be done about it?
post #222 of 604 Old 05-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by cgoldst
I' sitting here watching the Sixer's game on ESPN HD (202)and comparing the PQ with the COMCAST HD feed on the adjacent channel (200). The difference is STARTLING! The ESPN picture is amazingly sharper, cleared, more detailed with deep and brilliant colors. The COMCAST picture is pale and washed out. Does anyone else see this difference? Can anyone explain it? And can anything be done about it?

I don't know about the explaining part, but I definitely notice the difference. I've noticed this on several games that have been broadcast on both Comcast HD and ESPN HD.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #223 of 604 Old 05-02-2005, 07:47 AM

I noticed the difference too. But I thought CSN's picture was better. ESPN's had a bluish tint to it.
I guess to each his own.

Oh, just for the record, I still have the second tuner problem as well.

Mike
post #224 of 604 Old 05-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Comcast is still working on this issue. Sorry couldnt get back to you sooner Zoomin 88. Cgoldst, problem still exists(DVR obviously). CSN has always been in my eyes not as crisp as some of the broadcasts, but everytime I say that I see something on CSN that changes my mind. Its kind of like WHYYHD. It never looks clear to me on any quality of HDTV. INHD1 and 2 seem to deliver the best pics that appeal to my eyes.

Yeah, Thats right!
post #225 of 604 Old 05-04-2005, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm hearing there may be a fix in the works for our second tuner problems in June. Have any of you heard similar info?

Carl Jones
post #226 of 604 Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 AM

I hope there's a fix. I corresponded with Comcast yesterday about this issue via e-mail. The customer service reps' reply was something like: "I'm unaware of any problem like that with the 6412 DVR. Please call us for a service appointment so a technician can examine and possible exchange your box".
post #227 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 06:10 AM

I have the 6412 connected to my Sony 55XS955 via DVI-HDMI cable. I also have the cable split from the wall and connected directly to the TV via a coax cable. Since my set has a built in ATSC/QAM tuner, I can tune in some Digital and HD programming right the the cable.

My question is this: Channel 110.1 is the Comcast Sports Network HD. It is different from the CSN I get through the box. On 110.1, I get all the Baltimore Oriole baseball games (which is great because I'm a transplanted Baltimorean) and the Washington Wizard basketball games. Through the 6412, it's all Philly stuff. Anyone know why this is?

Also, I used to get the INHD channels directly through the coax on 103.1 and 104.1. They've disappeared now. I've rescanned several times and they've not reappeared. Any ideas?

Peace,
BJMoose
post #228 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 06:14 AM

I will be installing a Winegard HD7082P OTA antenna over the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting most of the Baltimore/Washington HD stuff along with Philly/NJ HD stuff. I'll report on my results.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #229 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose

My question is this: Channel 110.1 is the Comcast Sports Network HD. It is different from the CSN I get through the box. On 110.1, I get all the Baltimore Oriole baseball games (which is great because I'm a transplanted Baltimorean) and the Washington Wizard basketball games. Through the 6412, it's all Philly stuff. Anyone know why this is?

I assumed that 110.1 was the digital simulcast of analog channel 53. Is it in HD?

Dave
post #230 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 AM

Does anyone use a CableCard? Any idea what Comcast charges for one?

Dave
post #231 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
I assumed that 110.1 was the digital simulcast of analog channel 53. Is it in HD? Dave

Yes, it is the (at times) HD simulcast of 53. However, the 53 I get through the ATSC on my TV is not the same as what's broadcast through the 6412. It appears that one is the Baltimore/Washington broadcast and the other is Philadelphia broadcast. Directly through the cable and ATSC tuner I get the Orioles/Wizards games. Through the 6412, I get the Phillies/Sixers games. Just wondering how I get both signals through the same cable. Does it have to do with the tuners in my TV and in the 6412?

Peace,
BJMoose
post #232 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
Does anyone use a CableCard? Any idea what Comcast charges for one? Dave

Because my TV is cablecard ready, I inquired a few weeks ago. I thought I would get the best of all worlds using the cablecard in one input and the 6412 in the other. Comcast in DE won't sell us a card and the rent is higher than I'm paying for the HD DVR. They want to charge 14.95/mo. for the card. I told them that's rediculous and the CSR told me it appeared that Comcast definitely doesn't want to push them (although they are obligated to offer them). I probably would have paid an extra $5/mo. for the card just to have access to all the Digital and HD stuff if the box was recording on the good tuner or if both tuners were being used.

Now I'm getting ready to hook up an outside antenna to pick up all HD stuff that's OTA. Actually, analog over OTA is considerably sharper than analog via cable. If ESPN would broadcast OTA and TIVO would come up with a way to record HD stuff OTA easily, I'd consider scrapping Comcast altogether.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #233 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 01:43 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like you get both CSNs; in which case, you should be able to find both on the DVR and the TV's tuner. If not, then this is baffling.
Quote:

Also, I used to get the INHD channels directly through the coax on 103.1 and 104.1. They've disappeared now. I've rescanned several times and they've not reappeared. Any ideas?

Yeah, they got around to encrypting them; and since they are Digital Classic channels anyway, that is what you would need to get them. Eventually, all Comcast area will only have HD Locals in the clear.
post #234 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Because my TV is cablecard ready, I inquired a few weeks ago. I thought I would get the best of all worlds using the cablecard in one input and the 6412 in the other. Comcast in DE won't sell us a card and the rent is higher than I'm paying for the HD DVR. They want to charge 14.95/mo. for the card. I told them that's rediculous and the CSR told me it appeared that Comcast definitely doesn't want to push them (although they are obligated to offer them).

I doubt that is really the price. Did you speak to another CSR or better yet a Supervisor? Generally, I hear that the CCs are no more than your Digial pcakage price. IOW, you can substitute a CC for the included Digital STB. If it is itemized in your area, the CC should be $5, like a Digital STB. If this is not the case, then you should complain to your local franchise authority, because that would be price gouging, IMHO.
post #235 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
I'm hearing there may be a fix in the works for our second tuner problems in June. Have any of you heard similar info?

Well, in the Phila. thread I read about a person who said that they fixed the problem in Center City Phila. on both the 6412 and third party tuner.

Now, I just checked my DVR, and they fixed the problem in Willow Grove, PA, too. It was only a problem here, AFAIK, for 3.5 weeks.

Firmware is still 9.15. They didn't even move around QAMs, at least for 231 ABC and 233 CBS, therefore, probably not for NBC and PBS, either.

Hopefully, you could tell them in Delaware to look into using the same fix as those two systems used.
post #236 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Because my TV is cablecard ready, I inquired a few weeks ago. I thought I would get the best of all worlds using the cablecard in one input and the 6412 in the other. Comcast in DE won't sell us a card and the rent is higher than I'm paying for the HD DVR. They want to charge 14.95/mo. for the card. I told them that's rediculous and the CSR told me it appeared that Comcast definitely doesn't want to push them (although they are obligated to offer them). I probably would have paid an extra $5/mo. for the card just to have access to all the Digital and HD stuff if the box was recording on the good tuner or if both tuners were being used.

Now I'm getting ready to hook up an outside antenna to pick up all HD stuff that's OTA. Actually, analog over OTA is considerably sharper than analog via cable. If ESPN would broadcast OTA and TIVO would come up with a way to record HD stuff OTA easily, I'd consider scrapping Comcast altogether.

Here's a copy directly from the Comcast Wilmington website in the FAQ about CableCard:

"What is the cost for CableCARD service?

There is no additional charge for CableCARD service above what you currently pay for Digital Cable service (NOTE: additional outlet charges for programming may apply)."

Unless the "additional outlet" charge is $14.95, it seems that the cost should be $0. Seems like another case of Comcast misinformation. Anyone know what the "additional outlet" charge should be?

Dave
post #237 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is the (at times) HD simulcast of 53. However, the 53 I get through the ATSC on my TV is not the same as what's broadcast through the 6412. It appears that one is the Baltimore/Washington broadcast and the other is Philadelphia broadcast. Directly through the cable and ATSC tuner I get the Orioles/Wizards games. Through the 6412, I get the Phillies/Sixers games. Just wondering how I get both signals through the same cable. Does it have to do with the tuners in my TV and in the 6412?

Okay, I'm home now so I checked it out. The channel 110.1 is indeed an HD broadcast. For me, it is identical to the broadcast that I get on channel 53 (Comcast Baltimore). Seems like this is provided unencrypted while the Comcast Philadelphia HD (channel 35 in analog) is encrypted and therefore does not show up on my QAM tuner.

Dave
post #238 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BJMoose;

I'll be interested to hear how OTA goes for you. Where in Newark are you?

QZ1;

Thanks for your input. This dropout issue is getting WAAY frustrating. Looks like if they do fix it, the season will be long over..

Wow, I've wondered about the CC issue here. Comcast makes it so difficult to stay a "valued customer." I hope you are able to get it more reasonably than first quoted...please keep us posted.
Looks like Wrighda has given you some good info.

Carl Jones
post #239 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can anyone in our area suggest a local place for computer repairs? I've got some major issues going on.

Carl Jones
post #240 of 604 Old 05-05-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
BJMoose;

I'll be interested to hear how OTA goes for you. Where in Newark are you?

Carl, I live in Newark, just off of Marrows Road (19713). I bought a Silver Sensor and discovered that although it's very directional, I can receive all 3 of the major HD networks from Baltimore. WBAL and WMAR come in perfectly with no brreakups. WJZ comes in with some minor breakups unless I manually change the direction of the SS slightly. Several other UHF channels come in, but with considerable fuzziness.

Since the SS receives the signals indoors on the first floor, I figured an outdoor HD antenna will do the job. As a transplanted Baltimorean, I'm more interested in the Ravens, Orioles, and U of M Terps than any of the Philly sports teams. And since they rarely televise any of their games up here, I thought I'd do something about it this year. With some luck, I may be able to have my choice between the Eagles, Ravens, and Redskins in HD for free this year.

I bought the MLB ticket through Comcast and it turns out that most of the Oriole games have been blacked out so far. So I cancelled the ticket today. Comcast was very understanding about it.

I have a couple of other projects that I need to work on this weekend, so it will probably be at least next weekend before I can get up on the roof. All the stuff has arrived though. I got the Winegard 7082HD with a 12 button programmable IR rotater that I can learn into my Harmony 688 remote. I'll keep you informed about my results.

BTW, it's kind of encouraging to hear that a couple of areas have had the 2nd tuner problem taken care of. Not getting my hopes up, but who knows?

Peace,
BJMoose
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page