Delaware - HDTV - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 604 Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good luck with the install. Yea, I wonder how that's possible with no movement in QAM & no software upgrade??

Carl Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 604 Old 05-06-2005, 10:49 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
Unless the "additional outlet" charge is $14.95, it seems that the cost should be $0. Seems like another case of Comcast misinformation. Anyone know what the "additional outlet" charge should be?

In many areas, it is $6.95, and that includes a Digital STB, and once again, you can substitute a CC for it. Also, just like the main STB, one can pay upgrade fees for an HD STB or a DVR instead.

Seeing as Digital STBs are listed alone as $5.05 here, they effectively have a $1.90 mirroring fee as part of the $6.95 Digital Addtl. Oultet fee.
post #243 of 604 Old 05-06-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
Can anyone in our area suggest a local place for computer repairs? I've got some major issues going on.

You seem like a pretty nice guy send me a pm with your computer problems and I'll help you out.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #244 of 604 Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BJMoose
Carl, I live in Newark, just off of Marrows Road (19713).

I lived real close by on Monrerry Drive until I moved to Bear. I had a UHF only outdoor anteanna the worked well. You should have no problems, Just remember hight is very important.

I was able to get ABC, NBC,CBS,PBS,FOX,UPN,WB and others that I filtered out.

http://www.qsystems-inc.com/htm/ant.htm

This is a link to the antenna I set up not a place to buy one.

post #245 of 604 Old 05-07-2005, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quartrj
You seem like a pretty nice guy send me a pm with your computer problems and I'll help you out.

You work on computers? Thank you for offering. I've got someone coming Monday. I bought a high end cpu from what I thought was a reputable guy. Guy sends the unit with video card installed but not screwed in. Sound card doesn't work and TV/PVR card doesn't work. Now he will not answer my calls or e-mails. Think I got screwed? Man what happened to honest people?

I'm willing to pay a pro to recover this mess for me. I'm afraid I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

By the way, if I ever get it to work, I got a P4 3.8G, 2G DDR2 RAM, 256 Video, Audiology sound card, two Raptors and a 250 hard drive. I just got a regular NTSC tuner, I can't justify another cable box for awhile, OTA not an option. My next purchase (one day) would be a high end monitor (Dell 24"??). Gotta wait on that too.

Carl Jones
post #246 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 05:44 AM

Quote:

You work on computers? Thank you for offering. I've got someone coming Monday...

Don't sweat it I've been doing this for 20+ years, let me know how things go Monday, don't spend a lot of money to get this going.

The solution should be pretty simple. Usually I go to the manufactures web site for each of the components that don't work. For example your TV/PVR card, the company that makes this card should have the necessary drivers available to download for the OS your using. Downloading and then installing these drivers should get your TV/PVR to work. This is all that you have to do for each device that that is not working.

Usually it is straightforward but I did have an obscure sound card one time and had to do a Goggle search on the chip number the find suitable drivers but that is an extreme case.

post #247 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 06:04 AM

I recorded "Desperate Housewives" last night from ch 231 - there were many audio dropouts, and at least a few video breakups. The box had been "off" so it recorded from the 2nd tuner. Anyone watch this/see issues like this on the first tuner?
post #248 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

quartrj;

I'll let you know how it goes, they are due here @ 11:00 @ $75/hr. hmmm. I've switched out a card or two but EVERY card is installed wrong. This guy had a good rep but looks like I got him on a very bad day.

blackngold75;

I watched "Desperate Housewives" live last night on tuner 1 with no problems. I had recorded "Cold Case" earlier on tuner 2 by mistake & it actually was pretty good until towards the end when I started to get many breakups and some freezing too. I'm afraid our problem of three months continues.

I was hoping we had picked up TNT HD this weekend too...no such luck.

Carl Jones
post #249 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by blackngold75
I recorded "Desperate Housewives" last night from ch 231 - there were many audio dropouts, and at least a few video breakups. The box had been "off" so it recorded from the 2nd tuner. Anyone watch this/see issues like this on the first tuner?

First tuner was fine last night. 2nd tuner continues to be bad on the usual networks ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. In addition I'm not so sure anymore that having the DVR set to the 2nd tuner, the DVR automatically records the 1st tuner. Nor am my so sure that if the set is off it selects the 1st tuner when it's turned on or when it records. All that is to say we have NO RELIABLE way to insure the 1st tuner will be used for recording other than doing it manually. This continues to be frustrating.
post #250 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 08:29 AM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cgoldst
First tuner was fine last night. 2nd tuner continues to be bad on the usual networks ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. In addition I'm not so sure anymore that having the DVR set to the 2nd tuner, the DVR automatically records the 1st tuner. Nor am my so sure that if the set is off it selects the 1st tuner when it's turned on or when it records. All that is to say we have NO RELIABLE way to insure the 1st tuner will be used for recording other than doing it manually. This continues to be frustrating.

You should keep the box on for many reasons, this is just one; also, if you keep it on the second tuner it is almost always going to record the first tuner.

What I noticed in 3.5 weeks of this second tuner problem, was twice it changed tuners by itself, the third time it did that, the problem was also fixed. I think the first two times they were attempting a fix and the tuner automatically changes to the first, at that time.

In nearly 6 months having this DVR, I don't recall any other times the DVR ever changing tuners by itself.
post #251 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM

Those who have contacted Comcast about this 2nd-tuner issue: who have you called? I have tried regular customer service, and all they want to do is send a tech out and possibly swap my box. My first 6412 had other issues, but this one has been pretty good, for the most part. I do not want to swap boxes again, since we all seem to agree that the box is not this issue.
post #252 of 604 Old 05-09-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Those who have contacted Comcast about this 2nd-tuner issue: who have you called? I have tried regular customer service, and all they want to do is send a tech out and possibly swap my box. My first 6412 had other issues, but this one has been pretty good, for the most part. I do not want to swap boxes again, since we all seem to agree that the box is not this issue.

Call Joan Reeder at the corporate office at 302-661-8152.
post #253 of 604 Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cgoldst
Call Joan Reeder at the corporate office at 302-661-8152.

What's her role - since you referred her I'm assuming she'll know what I am talking about? Is it OK if I mention that I got her name and number from someone here on the forum?
post #254 of 604 Old 05-10-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:

What's her role - since you referred her I'm assuming she'll know what I am talking about? Is it OK if I mention that I got her name and number from someone here on the forum?

I do not know her exact title but she is on the "corporate" level and she will know what you are talking about. I was referred to her after call to the HQ in Phila. since she is based here. You could say you got the # here since they are aware of this group. She is understanding , helpful and sympathetic will report to techs but obviously that has not yet led to a solution. You might feel better knowing that at least Comcast is aware of the problem and is working on it - not as good as you'd feel if they fixed it however.
post #255 of 604 Old 05-11-2005, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will call her today & reference this site, previous calls, ongoing since February and please, please give us resolution to this problem!!

Carl Jones
post #256 of 604 Old 05-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Carl-
Thanks for taking the initiative on this one..

I noticed audio dropouts last night on NBC-10 during Will & Grace on the HD side - had to switch over to analog in order to watch it.

The only thing, I'm not sure what tuner I was on - but I definitely agree with you all that it's frustrating!
post #257 of 604 Old 05-11-2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I will call her today & reference this site, previous calls, ongoing since February and please, please give us resolution to this problem!!

Seems like there has been a solution to the issue in Philly and suburbs. I wonder if Wilmington guys have talked to Philly guys? Probably not, knowing Comcast.

Dave
post #258 of 604 Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK I've called (twice) and left a message on the 2nd. call (thought that was cool since we're talking 2nd. tuner here)! Didn't get her & will post here if & when she calls back. Her voice prompt says she's with "the escalation group". The folks I have been talking to previously were with the technical group here in New Castle.

Carl Jones
post #259 of 604 Old 05-12-2005, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1 day later, no response back from Joan Reeder. I'll call back tomorrow if nothing today. Anyone else calling?

Carl Jones
post #260 of 604 Old 05-12-2005, 02:14 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
Seems like there has been a solution to the issue in Philly and suburbs. I wonder if Wilmington guys have talked to Philly guys? Probably not, knowing Comcast.

Yes, I mentioned this earlier in this thread, CC Phila. and Willow Grove, PA systems are fixed; so, anyone complaining should mention this, I am sure they need to do the same fix for the various systems in Delaware.
post #261 of 604 Old 05-12-2005, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I just watched a DVR'd Smallville from last night (WB) & I had dropouts. Has anyone else experienced problems on the WB?

Carl Jones
post #262 of 604 Old 05-12-2005, 06:48 PM

Carl,

I recorded it last night and will watch it later this evening. I'll let you know if I see any breakups.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #263 of 604 Old 05-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Well, I just watched a DVR'd Smallville from last night (WB) & I had dropouts. Has anyone else experienced problems on the WB?

Just watched the first 15 minutes of Smallville and yes there have been several breakups. Could be a one time phenomenon or maybe Comcast is making things worse.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #264 of 604 Old 05-14-2005, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried Joan Reeder again yesterday & got her voice mail again. I will keep trying.

BJMoose; Have you noticed breakups before on WB?

Carl Jones
post #265 of 604 Old 05-14-2005, 06:38 AM

Carl,

I haven't really noticed more than the occasional blip (could be anything) on WB. Have you noticed the cable lineup on the TVGUIDE website for Comcast of New Castle? There are several listings in the 200s that are not on Comcast's cablebox lineup. I wonder if there's going to be a lineup/shakeup in the near future.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #266 of 604 Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Carl-
I guess this Joan doesn't want to call you back! Lol...
post #267 of 604 Old 05-16-2005, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Joan Reeder returned my call today & referenced her conversations with our fellow forum member from Hockessin ONLY. I'd suggest you other guys call her to post your comments.

She references an upcoming firmware update from Motorola...hmmm I don't know. I re-stated several times our issue, no issue elsewhere except a small Philly issue which seems to be corrected. How is a firmware fix from MOTO going to fix Delaware problem??

Joan was NOT very complimentary of the 2 tuner box & sounds frustrated with it. I asked her to consider joining this forum. She said she would update us on WHEN this firmware download would happen as well as any additional info she might get.

I also have a call into the techies I originally talked to in February. Frankly, I don't have the "warm & fuzzies" for a near term fix.

Carl Jones
post #268 of 604 Old 05-18-2005, 04:49 AM

Well, it looks like CSN HD on an OTA scan from a direct cable feed to the ATSC tuner in my set has gone the way of the INHD channels. Up until this week I received CSN HD on 110.1 and was able to watch most Baltimore Oriole baseball games in HD. Now 110.1 seems to be UPN HD. I've done a rescan and can't locate CSN HD anywhere. Anyone else here have any info on this?

Peace,
BJMoose
post #269 of 604 Old 05-18-2005, 05:43 AM

UPN-HD? Is that available now? Wonder whatever happened to TNT-HD...
post #270 of 604 Old 05-18-2005, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

She references an upcoming firmware update from Motorola...hmmm I don't know. I re-stated several times our issue, no issue elsewhere except a small Philly issue which seems to be corrected. How is a firmware fix from MOTO going to fix Delaware problem??

Apparently, New Jersey is starting to see a 9.17 firmware coming out - they usually see it first, then it gets rolled out to PA and DE.

This may be the update Joan was talking about.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page