Delaware - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those Delaware specific issues.. We may be small but looks like we sometimes have unique issues with which to deal. It may be a good place to get to know each other as well.

Carl Jones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Wilmington is solidly within the Philadelphia DMA. What area specific issues do you have - is it a different cable system?
post #3 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

We are not just Wilmington and we DO have issues specific to us. Is there a problem having a thread for our STATE?

The problem Philly is just reporting as an example, has been going on in Wilmington since 2/16. Having Delaware in the the Philly thread certainly didn't help them any.
Head end issues, OTA issues, service issues as examples. Wilmington is serviced out of New Castle for Comcast, not Philly, whole different channels, cable company, OTA issues for middle & lower Delaware.

As HDTV grows so does the customer base...even in Delaware. As that base grows, differences become more apparent.

Carl Jones
post #4 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Jones
For those Delaware specific issues.. We may be small but looks like we sometimes have unique issues with which to deal. It may be a good place to get to know each other as well.

Great Idea Carl! Thank You! I will post further updates here. That is if my HSI would stop dropping out on me!
post #5 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:51 AM

No need to get defensive. Just trying to keep things consistent. Dover obviously would have different OTA issues picking up Balt/Philly stations. It's just that Wilmington has no unique OTA issues from the rest of the Philly DMA.

If it is a different Comcast division, it'd make sense for you to start a Delaware - Comcast thread. If you want to do that, just summarize the Comcast HD offerings in the first post and I'll add the thread to the Index.
post #6 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

didn't mean to sound defensive...not intended. I enjoy your posts (other than you are a Panthers fan!!).

Carl Jones
post #7 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 07:04 AM

10 years in Philly before moving down here in '94 - 10 years of going to Eagles games also.

There's no point in you starting a thread for Honolulu - for the same reason if you're in Wilmington there's no point in starting a thread for mid/south DE issues. That's why I suggested Comcast specifically.

However, if you know of a mid/south DE AVS member that will participate (possibly from the Philly/Balt thread) then it would make sense and be an asset to have a DE HDTV thread.
post #8 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Comcast channels offered in Philly are the same for Wilmington. Service and supply of Comcast broadcasts are out of New Castle county which sometimes make our issues unique and aren't the same as Philly. Currently we are having problems that have been until recently unique for us. In addition, OTA issues are different because in Wilmington alone, we can (under the right circumstances) receive OTA Philly, Harrisburg, and Baltimore. Folks discussing their OTA issues hold no interest to the folks in Philly nor can they help. In middle Delaware, Comcast is not even offered, OTA and or Dishes get either and or Baltimore & Philly. Yet a large portion of Middle Delaware works & shops Wilmington. "Middle Delaware" is much closer to Wilmington than Wilmington is to Philly. Lower Delaware gets Baltimore & D.C.
I would suggest "letting it ride" for a little while to see if our small state is unique enough to meet your criteria and if there is even enough folks to keep it alive. If not, it will die a pretty quick death anyway.

As for Honolulu....I wish I had reason to!!

Carl Jones
post #9 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 07:43 AM

I was just wondering if anyone has tried a signal booster for the dropout problem on the 6412 second tuner? Since the first tuner is okay, maybe it's a signal loss issue?? Diagnostic screen shows my signal to be good, however.
post #10 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't but Comcast was here Saturday to change out my box & tested out a very strong signal. Still have the dropouts.

Carl Jones
post #11 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 07:54 AM

I'll let it ride - even if it's just you and 1 guy from Dover keeping the thread alive that's fine. The key thing, from my perspective, is that a DE newbie doesn't come to the Local forum, ask a question in the Delaware thead, and it goes unanswered because it's DOA. Then stops participating when if he'd asked the question in the active Philly or Balt thread, he'd have received an answer.

We'll see how it goes.
post #12 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Zoomin88
Great Idea Carl! Thank You! I will post further updates here. That is if my HSI would stop dropping out on me!

That's good, let's give it a shot. If we keep this thread going, it'll be up to us & our fellow neighbors!!

Carl Jones
post #13 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CPanther95
I'll let it ride - even if it's just you and 1 guy from Dover keeping the thread alive that's fine. The key thing, from my perspective, is that a DE newbie doesn't come to the Local forum, ask a question in the Delaware thead, and it goes unanswered because it's DOA. Then stops participating when if he'd asked the question in the active Philly or Balt thread, he'd have received an answer.

We'll see how it goes.

That's good. We'll do our best not to ignore our fellow man as sometimes happens in the afore mentioned threads.

Carl Jones
post #14 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:47 AM

I forgot about the Salisbury, MD DMA and all the overlap with Southern DE. Since that thread is pretty much DOA, and most of the DE discussion will likely center around Philly and Balt, we'll see what happens.

I'd rather see enough activity to break off enough to get Salisbury going - or have this thread eventually grow into the DelMarVa Peninsula thread. For now, I'll add this to the Index under Philly & Balt.
post #15 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Count me in. I'm from Newark and am having problems with audio and viedeo dropouts on the second tuner. I need to call Comcast today to complain so they can log it.
post #16 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sounds good & noticed your links in the Baltimore & Philly threads. Thanks for your support & help. We'll see how it goes.

Carl Jones
post #17 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Welcome in Joe. Keep calling, that appears our only recourse at the moment. I've been averaging a call and/or e-mail almost every day since 2/16.

Carl Jones
post #18 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 09:23 AM

I just spoke with a CSR at Comcast about the problems in Philly (which I am sure are the same as those in N Delaware). He informed me that he just received an email about the DVR tuner pixelization and audio dropouts this morning. He said that according to the email it is a "headend problem" that is scheduled to be fixed with a software update that will be rolled out on Monday March 7th.

Keep your fingers crossed.

-Tim
post #19 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by krooooog
I just spoke with a CSR at Comcast about the problems in Philly (which I am sure are the same as those in N Delaware). He informed me that he just received an email about the DVR tuner pixelization and audio dropouts this morning. He said that according to the email it is a "headend problem" that is scheduled to be fixed with a software update that will be rolled out on Monday March 7th.

I definitely have my fingers crossed, but I'm still a little pessimistic. I'm no electronics expert but it kind of baffles me that the problem is with one tuner only. Assuming that the box just splits the signal, wouldn't the problem have to be either interference associated with the second tuner or some signal loss? I can't really grasp what "headend" software fix is going to remedy the problem. Oh well, hope this comes true. Tired of the problem. Just want my DVR to work the way it did 2 1/2 weeks ago.
post #20 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by krooooog

Thanks for posting. I agree, I don't see how it's a headend problem alone but whatever it is it sounds like Philly now has the problem too. I'm hoping that with obviously more folks affected we will get this fixed sooner rather than later.

Carl Jones
post #21 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got of the phone with Comcast. The csr stated an update went out Sunday night that was supposed to fix the problems. Obvioulsy that didn't work and she was not aware of any more updates coming out. I just made her notate the account that someone needs to continue looking into this.

Could the splitter in the box be the issues? Maybe it's not splitting the signal cleanly or allowing enough bandwidth to flow through to the second tuner??
Nope...strike that. If that were the case...all channels would be affected.
post #22 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also we would have had problems BEFORE 2/16. I think the simulcast is somehow affecting the frequencies ABC, CBS, NBC, & PBS HD are on.

Carl Jones
post #23 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 11:41 AM

Thanks for getting this going Carl. Particularly as to the one tuner HD network drop out problem the segregation of the Delaware posts is critical. We now can have a place for those monitoring the problem to look. I've tried to steer the Comcast people here before - I think it will be easier now. And even more generally I think the separate concerns of Delaware Comcast can and do warrant a separate forum. Thanks to Carl for starting it and the moderator for understanding.
post #24 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe_R
I just got of the phone with Comcast. The csr stated an update went out Sunday night that was supposed to fix the problems. Obvioulsy that didn't work and she was not aware of any more updates coming out. I just made her notate the account that someone needs to continue looking into this.

Could the splitter in the box be the issues? Maybe it's not splitting the signal cleanly or allowing enough bandwidth to flow through to the second tuner??
Nope...strike that. If that were the case...all channels would be affected.

I believe that was just the scheduled 9.15 firmware update that has been coming for some time now and was not an attempt to fix this problem. According to the rep I spoke with, they have been working on numerous issues one by one and rolling out fixes. He claims the software update next monday is supposed to fix this particular issue (pixelation and audio drops).

-Tim
post #25 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Lets post our signal strength:

Tuner 1
SNR 36.2 Good
AGC 73% Fair

Tuner 2
SNR 34.0 Good
AGC 71% Good

Not sure how 73% on tuner 1 is fair when 71% on tuner 2 is good.

Status Bars are for the Weak and Timid
post #26 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by wrighda
I was just wondering if anyone has tried a signal booster for the dropout problem on the 6412 second tuner? Since the first tuner is okay, maybe it's a signal loss issue?? Diagnostic screen shows my signal to be good, however.

I have the Motorola signal booster and it does a great job on analog signals directly from the wall to the tv. It didn't have any real effect on the bad second tuner problem though. Had a marginal effect on the analog channels through the 6412.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #27 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeh, seems to be just certain channels. I just tested my box. This was wathcing....not recording.

ABC HD on both tuners. One is bad, one is not.
Comcast Sports HD on both tuners. Both worked fine.
ABC HD on the good tuner and Comcast HD on the bad tuner...everything worked fine.

So it's definately something with the channels...frequencies or whatever. It's not the box, per se or the recoding device.
post #28 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 05:59 PM

At 8:55PM on Thursday 3/3 with both tuners tuned in to NBC HD (channel 232). For me, the bad tuner problem is most consistent on NBC HD.

Tuner 1
SNR 35.8 dB GOOD
AGC 74% FAIR

Tuner 2
SNR 34.6 dB GOOD
AGC 72% FAIR

My correctable error counts on T2 are fluctuating all over the place. All other error numbers are static at 0000.

I check the In-Band Status fairly regularly and prior to the firmware upgrade, anything 70+% was considered GOOD. Also, I never remember seeing a FAIR on T1. I'm not sure how accurate this status page really is.

Peace,
BJMoose
post #29 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Hello All,

I have also been calling Comcast daily to keep them abreast of the situation. Today, the CSR mentioned AVS by name so even she was aware of this thread. I think we need to keep letting them know what's going on as I am now recording shows in SD on 3, 6 & 10 just so we can watch them. While this is convenient, it annoys me to no end that I can't enjoy my setup to the fullest. Hopefully the fix on 3/7 will improve things, but I have heard this already...fingers crossed!!!

Chris

Chris Lowry
post #30 of 604 Old 03-03-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rxlowry
Hello All,

I have also been calling Comcast daily to keep them abreast of the situation. Today, the CSR mentioned AVS by name so even she was aware of this thread. I think we need to keep letting them know what's going on as I am now recording shows in SD on 3, 6 & 10 just so we can watch them. While this is convenient, it annoys me to no end that I can't enjoy my setup to the fullest. Hopefully the fix on 3/7 will improve things, but I have heard this already...fingers crossed!!! Chris

Hi Chris, You may have spoken to the woman I called yesterday. I gave her the address to this forum and she sounded very interested in learning more about everyone's problems. She's the only one who hasn't just said to schedule a service call. However, she also told me the 2nd tuner problem was going to be taken care of yesterday morning. But at least she's interested.

Peace,
BJMoose
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page