Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 264 Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PALM SPRINGS CW5 COMING TO TIME WARNER CABLE APRIL 21ST

Palm Springs area Time Warner Cable subscribers will soon be watching "The Gilmore Girls," "One Tree Hill," "Smallville," and other CW Network programs.

Time Warner and Gulf-California Broadcast Company, operator of the CW network affiliate in Palm Springs, announced a new carriage agreement Thursday, April 19, 2007 which provides for subscribers to see CW programming on Time Warner cable channel 5. Time Warner expects to make CW programming available to its customers by Saturday, April 21, 2007 at 12:01 AM.

Gulf-California Executive Vice President and General Manager Bob Allen said, "We're glad that we can finally add this great programming to Time Warner's programming lineup."

Until September 2006, Time Warner channel 5 was the home of WB 100+ network programming. On September 18th of last year, the WB 100+ network and UPN networks folded. The two network owners, CBS and Warner Brothers, then jointly created the CW network. Time Warner and Gulf-California have been negotiating for carriage since then. Meantime, Time Warner placed arts and music programming on channel 5.

Viewers can also watch CW programming over-the-air on KCWQ-LP on analog channel 2, and on digital over-the-air channel 2.3. KCWQ is also available to Dish satellite network subscribers.

On another note, the CW Network says it will launch its original series "Hidden Palms," which is about Palm Springs, as a summer replacement program beginning May 30th.

For more information contact Mark Sucher, Promotion Manager, at 760-340-7020 or Barry Gorfine, Director of Sales, at 760-340-7020.

Gulf-California Broadcast Co. also operates KESQ-TV, KDFX-CA, and KUNA-LP.

http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 264 Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 PM

you are correct bgooch!! CW is coming this weekend!! yay, its about time... CW out here in PS was really being a A_HOLE for their pricing and etc... but we got a deal and its gonna be on the air!! Whats funny is we have a few customers that actually like the ARTS channel that is currently on CH 5 in place of CW, I am sure we will get calls from them all mad... but the ARTS we still be on ch 17, for 8 hour blocks!!

also too, some more new that I got from the company insider email!! check this out!

Publish Date: 04/13/2007

TIME WARNER CABLE AND THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY ANNOUNCE DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENTS FOR CARRIAGE OF
DISNEY AND ESPN MEDIA NETWORKS' PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) and The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) announced that they have entered into comprehensive multi-year distribution agreements that will extend retransmission consent for the ABC-owned broadcast television stations carried in Time Warner Cable systems, and provide for carriage of a broad array of Disney's leading networks and services including: ABC Family, Disney Channel, ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN2, ESPN Classic, ESPNEWS, ESPN Pay-Per-View, SOAPnet, and Toon Disney.

In addition, Time Warner Cable will launch ESPN2 HD and ESPNU later this year, and certain systems will also offer Disney Channel on Demand subscription VOD and ESPN Deportes. Three new high-definition services from Disney and ESPN Media Networks--ABC Family HD, Disney Channel HD and ESPNEWS HD-will launch in Time Warner Cable systems when they become available in 2008.

The companies have also agreed to make available certain shows from some of the networks on Time Warner Cable's Start Over platform. The Start Over functionality gives Time Warner Cable digital cable subscribers in some areas the ability to restart certain live programs, which are in progress, without any preplanning or in-home recording devices. Customers who have joined a Start Over-enabled program in progress are able to replay the program from the beginning, but cannot fast forward.

The Walt Disney Company will also provide content from certain networks to Time Warner Cable's Quick Clips platform. The Quick Clips service provides a range of short-form content that is relevant to the underlying network shows. The clips are typically 2-10 minutes in length and are intended to provide additional video for a specific program, or real-time updates to a program in progress. Both the Start Over and Quick Clips features are available to Time Warner Cable's digital cable subscribers at no additional charge.

Co-chairs of Disney Media Networks George Bodenheimer and Anne Sweeney commented on the announcement. Sweeney, president of Disney-ABC Television Group, said, "This milestone agreement combines Disney's world-renowned brands with Time Warner Cable's outstanding distribution platforms throughout the country." Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, added, "Together, The Walt Disney Company and Time Warner Cable will provide leading sports, family, news and entertainment content for a fantastic and diverse consumer experience."

"This agreement will give our customers access to an even wider array of sports and high-definition programming," said Glenn Britt, President and CEO of Time Warner Cable. "It will also allow us to expand our Start Over and Quick Clips services. Start Over has proven to be one of the most attractive advanced video features we've ever offered."

Cable Guy 101
post #33 of 264 Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM

wow, nobody else gonna talk or ask any question?? its been quiet in this forum for a few days now!!! I am actually involved in another forum as well you may wanna check out!!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post10380729

Cable Guy 101
post #34 of 264 Old 04-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Okay, I have a story to tell. I have the HD-DVR in Desert Hot Springs. I have the Motorola box with HDMI connection on the back. Not real sure of the model number. Any way, I received the box from Adelphia. Never been a big fan of Motorola, simply because of my VOOM Experiences. The software is still buggy as far as I'm concerned.

Here is my problem. No I have had the HD-DVR box with Adelphia and it worked fine. Very little HD, but it worked.

Time-Warner comes in. That's when things went to heck. First channels I paid for, disappear and say things like "please order this channel." Then I had to replace a couple of HD boxes.

They added in all the local HD channels. Yeah, I'm happy. I can watch 24 in HD. Season pass for 24! Yeah. Everything is good! Turn my DVR on Tuesday to watch 24 in HD... NO HD FOR YOU! Waahhh. You look at my Guide and it tells me that the local HD channels have the same disignation as the local SD channels. Example, KDFX is on channel 11 and 611. The way the software works, it is looking at the channel title, not the channel number. Hence when the channels moved and I had a season pass on FX, I didn't have to adjust anything. The software new that I wanted to record a program on FX.

Adelphia knew this and was smart enough to change the channel name on KMIR. Thus, KMIR on channel 6 (I think) is KMIRD on channel 606. Not a problem setting season passes on NBC HD. And no one at Time Warner will seem to fix that simple problem. I constinantly I have to manual program the shows I want to watch in HD. Not very user friendly.

And now lately, the shows I have been recorded mysteriously stop. I start my DVR, look at my recorded shows and it tells me the Tudors is 60 minutes long. Great. Start playing it and the green bar at the bottom tells me it is only 31 minutes long. What! Couple weeks ago.. The Office. Same thing, DVR states it is recorded 30 minutes. Start playing, green bar tells me it is only 2 minutes long. And this not the same as the error message that displays when say the power goes out. Sometimes it will say "this program was intreputed and not fully completed," or it may be divided into two parts. The recording just stops. I believe that the box has recorded the show, but for some reason the software doesn't want to read the show fully. I thought about taking the box apart and plugging the hard drive into my computer to see if the files are full or not.

It I hate, hate, hate, hate calling Time-Warner at this point. It takes 40 minutes to get through to anyone.

Last night, I was fed up. Called TWC again. Asked them if they have any other type of box besides these crappy Motorola boxes. They didn't really know. So they think the problem is the signal strength on the line. Plausible, but it doesn't explain why the box would stop recording for no apparent reason. So they will be out on Saturday to take a look at the signal strength. I might just go buy one to measure it myself just to see. And this point I want to dump TWC all together.

So I guess my question is, does TWC have a different HD-DVR and does anyone here have it?
post #35 of 264 Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Good Question!! Especially for you DHS customers!! We are currently trying to get rid of those Motorola Boxes and have only Scientific Atlanta Boxes. What the company calls SA overlay, replacing Moto with SA equipment. I have the SA HD-DVR myself at home and it works fine and is very easy to use, my guess is that the MOTO box is not able to handle the new channel lineup properly and that is why you are experiencing problems!! If you have a guy coming out to check signal, let him do that, you wont be able to find a signal strength meter for very cheap, they cost a few thousand dollars to get. Also to let him check your cable connectors and the quality of the cable, cuz it may be bad, Adelphia was never trained what to look for or fix bad connections etc. So when the guy is there try and get a SA 8300 HD-DVR, its the best you can get, and its also a smaller box, I was surprised how big those MOTO boxes were when I first saw them.

Cable Guy 101
post #36 of 264 Old 04-26-2007, 05:15 PM

cableguy101, do you know if TWC is going to show any of the FSN Angels games in HD this season?
post #37 of 264 Old 04-27-2007, 02:16 AM

Probably only a few and thats if it is shown on Fox HD ch 611, FSN we dont have in HD

Cable Guy 101
post #38 of 264 Old 04-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Follow up to my Saturday installation.

Long story short. It didn't happen. Apparently the whole SA box switch out is a big secret and you can't get it through the regular Customer Service reps.

Any way, the tech came out. I showed him what was happening. He agreed with me that I needed a new box. Signal strength on the line was fine. So he states that I need to have a the new SA box. Great, this is what I have been trying to accomplish with the Customer Service Reps.

Heres the thing... I never mentioned the new SA box. The tech did! Why doesn't the CSRs mention these?

Big problem... the tech doesn't have the box and he has to change all the codes on my account. So he gets on the phone and starts making plans to get the SA boxes in my house. Here's the kicker... I have to schedule another appointment! What?!? And the only thing they offer is to waive the installation fee??? Installation fee?!? Apparently it costs $30.00 to install the new boxes. Jeez. What is Time Warner thinking??? Look you can get this better box... for $30.00? So all these promises of improving service, and they only way you can get the improved service is to pay them for it? Boy oh boy... TWC has some real PR problems. No wonder they are being sued by DHS residents.

Any who... my new boxes will be here on Wednesday. Which means that I have to reprogram everything on my remotes again and my Tivo in the bedroom. Since Apparently I can't have a one motorola box, I have to have all SA boxes. Whatever.

According to the Tech, I will have extra channels with the SA boxes. Apparently I will the "on demand" channels now. So we will see if I like the new box or not.

If that Series 3 Tivo didn't cost $700...
post #39 of 264 Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Well, I dont see why TWC reps in DHS are not telling about the SA switch out. The reason for it is because the motorola boxes cant do everything the SA boxes do and the channel plans that we have in the desert are now over in DHS since the take over so we are trying to get all the boxes swapped out!! Also too, its not like the have a huge supply of these boxes yet, so thats why the tech needed to schedule to Some DHS subs are suing because they think they were supposed to get all these services right away and etc when that was never said. The service need time to be implemented as we upgrade old Adelphia equipment and clean up the plant and adjust signal levels to the houses. I think its a dumb lawsuit, considering we have actually lowered the monthly bill for all basic customers be quite a bit!! and they are still complaining! and the outages they complain about, was jsut the one when we had a fire in the back of the headend caused by Edison transformer blowing up... it takes awhile to repair Fiber, thats why FiOS is gonna be so weird for Verizon, what if their Fiber gets hit, they are gonna be taking their sweet time and take days to fix it when it takes us hours!! anyways, hope that helps

Cable Guy 101
post #40 of 264 Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM

It's quite possible that I wasn't talking with someone in DHS. I'm not sure how the phone number works when I call.

Anyway... I have been very patient with TWC. I find it a little odd that the tech had to point out that they are "waiving" the installation fee for the new box. That just screams out to me. But maybe it is like you say, to control distribution. Any way, we will see what happens when I get the new box. Maybe I'll never go to work because there will be so many "new" channels to watch.

I kid... but I am hopeful that I will have the on demand. That would be fantastic.

It would help TWC if they came out with a diffent plan to change out the boxes. It just seems like TWC is not saying a whole heck of a lot lately.
post #41 of 264 Old 04-30-2007, 11:06 PM

Yea well I just actually found out that there is a box shortage right now from SA, I guess they can keep up with demand so TWC is only getting so many boxes per shipment so other companies that use SA boxes will get some too. SO that would explain I think why they arent talking about it much!! But the plan is to have all of DHS go from motorola to SA within the year, i think, lol we will see if it takes that long!! Yea dude, ur gonna love the on demand if you havent had it before!! so muhc stuff to watch and you can control it like a dvd.

Cable Guy 101
post #42 of 264 Old 05-03-2007, 08:29 PM

Well I have my new SA boxes and I have to say... um. Okay.

Okay one of the weird things that happen was that both boxes were replaced with the Explorer 8300 HD-DVR, which created problems of their own. First off... I only own one HDTV. The TV in my bedroom is a regular standard tv. Plus I already had a Tivo hooked up to this tv. Now I don't really need my Tivo... but I had it hooked up to download tv shows to my computer so I could put them on my kids video player. I'm in a condrum now. I'm not sure what to do.

Plus I had my Tivo setup for all the kids and it did a fine job. I had to go into the settings of my new cable box and block the channels and ratings. In stead of adding a block all channels, which would have been easier I had to manually check each channel at a time. My kids only watch about eight channels.

Also the new software for the remote doesn't really like my harmony remote. It really boils down to those A B C buttons. I never liked those darn things. But I have managed to figure it out, and program my remote is fairly painless.

But... the picture I have to say.... seems better. I don't understand how that happened. But the picture clarity seems sharper now. Plus all those On Demand channels are pretty cool. Which I could browse the on demand channels instead of having to exit all the way out of the show.

Overall... I'm impressed with additions to the cable. Would still like some more HD channels, and really wish I didn't have another HD-DVR ( I thought there was a box shortage...), but the tech tells me that it won't cost anymore.

So we'll see how happy I am when I get my bill.
post #43 of 264 Old 05-04-2007, 12:38 AM

Wow, you got hooked up! Did you tell them you wanted DVRs or jsut that you wanted HD boxes or what. They may have gotten the order confused if you didnt specify. Also no point in having another DVR, especially a HD one if your other TV isnt HD ready... kind of a waste, but you should really consider having that second HD_DVR on the tv that isnt HD swapped out for a regular HD box so that way you wont have to worry about extra charges for another DVR, but still keep it a HD box cuz there is no extra charge for having a HD box as opposed to having a regular box, at least that way if you do ever get another TV thats HD, you are ready!! But I am not sure if they will charge you for 2 DVRs, I know theres a DVR service fee, but you may wanna call up and find out cuz they may charge you another DVR service fee since you have a second! But if not, then keep them both, but i would find out before u get the bill so your eyes dont pop out of your head!! The picture looks better because SA boxes have a fine tuned tuner for channels and process them so they look better!! Also, the SA boxes support our digital simulcast of all the analog channel so you will only see the digital signal and not have to worry about seeing analog anymore!! Benefits of having a box!! no more analog, except for like 4 channels I think!!

Cable Guy 101
post #44 of 264 Old 05-04-2007, 09:40 AM

I just came across this thread. I am a snowbird, and this year will turn in my Palm Desert SA 8300 PVR cable box and shut down HD and cable modem service for the summer. I will pay the "rental" on a cable card for a 2nd TV. (I own my own cable modem and can restart that service with a phone call.) Our HOA provides analog TV service which is OK with wife, but I like the HD so much better. We have a ReplayTV and we like the time shift capability. We hardly ever watch non-sport shows live.

When recording HD, the SA 8300 PVR holds a paltry number of shows. When we took a side trip for a week we lost some of our recordings. Any info on when Time Warner will provide higher capacity units or external add-on drives, (say 750gig) or so? Any info on the "multi-room" capability? I know SA has had multiroom capability for over 1 year.

Up North I have cable (Comcast) and OTA HD signals. Use a Windows MCE (Vista) computer and it works well. I have over 1 gig storage! I have the best of both worlds. I prefer the MCE interface to the SA 8300, but the disk capacity is what is most important.

A few additional questions. Can we tune unencrypted QAM here if we get the basic cable service? If so, do you know what stations are unencrypted now? If for next year I can get a Windows MCE machine with OCUR (soon available?), I can install a cable card and get the best of both worlds, although I understand the quality of the HD picture that is broadcast OTA may be better that the one on cable due to cable company signal compression. They also say that "soon" a two way cable card will enable the on-demand functionality. Have you heard anything about this?

Would love to read your comments, cableguy101.

JanJ
post #45 of 264 Old 05-05-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy101 View Post

Probably only a few and thats if it is shown on Fox HD ch 611, FSN we dont have in HD

If that's the case, then it's different from last year, when we were getting FSN HD feeds on INHD2 (which, of course, is now gone). I would hope we could get those games on INHD, but I don't really know. We didn't get tonight's Angels game in HD, but the fact that it was in HD wasn't very highly publicized. I'm going to send an e-mail this weekend to Tony Rodriguez to get clarification on the matter (also on why MLB Extra Innings HD games aren't showing up on HD PPV channel 629).
post #46 of 264 Old 05-05-2007, 12:40 AM

Speaking of cable boxes, I've had a problem with my SA Explorer 3250 HD box for well over a year.

For a while, I was using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect to my TV's HDMI input. However, one day it all went bad: whenever I switched my TV to HDMI, I would get a picture for about one or two seconds, then it would turn black, and then a message saying I-can't-really-remember-what (whatever it said was pure nonsense). I called customer-no-service, and the lady said that there had been a software upgrade performed the night before, but whether that had anything to do with the problem, lord only knows.

A tech guy came out, looked around for a while and said that he couldn't see anything amiss, and that maybe I'd just need to wait for another software upgrade.

That's not happened, and from that point forward I've been forced to use a component input on my TV--not that I could tell any significant difference in picture quality between component and HDMI, but it's still annoying.
post #47 of 264 Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJ View Post

When recording HD, the SA 8300 PVR holds a paltry number of shows. When we took a side trip for a week we lost some of our recordings. Any info on when Time Warner will provide higher capacity units or external add-on drives, (say 750gig) or so? Any info on the "multi-room" capability? I know SA has had multiroom capability for over 1 year.

A few additional questions. Can we tune unencrypted QAM here if we get the basic cable service? If so, do you know what stations are unencrypted now? If for next year I can get a Windows MCE machine with OCUR (soon available?), I can install a cable card and get the best of both worlds, although I understand the quality of the HD picture that is broadcast OTA may be better that the one on cable due to cable company signal compression. They also say that "soon" a two way cable card will enable the on-demand functionality. Have you heard anything about this?

JanJ

The question about a higher storage capacity is not something that has to do with TWC. Thats all on Scientific Atlanta to build higher capacity units for their cable boxes, TWC just buys the boxes from SA and uses them, nothing we can do about it unless SA increases the size and then TWC can buy them. The thing about the multi Room thing from SA is something I also heard about, but that it is only in testing phases right now for TWC, so no word when we are gonna get that, but I heard that when it is available, TWC will get it! right now the storage capacity on the 8300HD is 20 hours of straight HD programming, 80 hours of standard definition programming, and around 35-40 hours of recording if you combine some HD recording with standard programming, kind depends on what you record and how long it is and if its in HD or not!!

For the QAM channels. All of our QAM channels are encrypted as far as I know! the only ones that may not be encrypted are the local HD networks, channels 602, 603,606, and 611. But I am sure they are encrypted, but not sure!! when you say you get the basic service, does that mean you only get channels 2-26 basic, or the expanded service all the way up to channel 74?? If you have just the basic to channel 26, then you wont receive the QAM channels due to a filter blocking the channels you are supposed to get, if you get up to channal 74, then that means you have no filter and that every QAM channel is potentially coming into your house. OTA HD signals out here in the desert are the same as what is on the cable, with slight compression, but we do have frequencies dedicated to just the local HD networks! 555 Megahertz carries channel 602, and 606 which is CBS HD and NBC HD, 561 Megahertz is channle 603, and 611 which is ABC HD and FOX HD. Nothing else is on those Frequencies. 2 HD channels to a QAM.

The 2-way cable card is still far away from being introduced to the public. There is still an issue with TV manufacturers to make TVs that not only support cable CARD but also that can have the cableCARD work with 2 -way services. Right now if you have a cableCARD capable TV, it will not work if a 2-way cable card is introduced since the TVs only support one way cableCARD service so who knows when that will be out!

Cable Guy 101
post #48 of 264 Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post

Speaking of cable boxes, I've had a problem with my SA Explorer 3250 HD box for well over a year.

For a while, I was using a DVI-to-HDMI cable to connect to my TV's HDMI input. However, one day it all went bad: whenever I switched my TV to HDMI, I would get a picture for about one or two seconds, then it would turn black, and then a message saying I-can't-really-remember-what (whatever it said was pure nonsense). I called customer-no-service, and the lady said that there had been a software upgrade performed the night before, but whether that had anything to do with the problem, lord only knows.

A tech guy came out, looked around for a while and said that he couldn't see anything amiss, and that maybe I'd just need to wait for another software upgrade.

That's not happened, and from that point forward I've been forced to use a component input on my TV--not that I could tell any significant difference in picture quality between component and HDMI, but it's still annoying.

Easy fix... SA has been having a problem with the software that they put on the 3250HD boxes for the DVI function to work properly! Some kind of bug is all I know, they been working for a fix on it for awhile now, but they havent seemed to solve the problem, so I guess in the meantime they have disabled use of the DVI output on the 3250HD until further noticed, thats why you probably saw a picture for 2 seconds, then the software said hey, turn off you are not suppose to be on, then you loose your picture! All I can say is wait till SA fixes that problem. Other than that, SA has their 8300HD DVR that has a HDMI output instead of DVI and it works fine. I have a Explorer 8300HD and it works great with the HDMI, not a noticable picture difference from component cables, but it is just one cable instead of 5!!

Cable Guy 101
post #49 of 264 Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 AM

cableguy101

To clarify my service level, I have expanded basic service (my bill says "Digital Gateway Digital Variety Pack Choice Basic Cable Paid by Hoa"). For 1 cable card ($1.75), the HDTV DVR Converter ($8.00), DVR Service ($9.95) and Best Value Plus ($10.00) I pay a total of $29.70 in addition to what the HOA bills me for the analog service. Out of three TV sets I have enabled digital on two. The SA Explorer 8300HD works fine, though I would like a 30 second skip capability button. The SA cable card works well.

Using a self-survey on our family viewing habits, I note that we use the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD PVR for virtually all HDTV TV viewing, and that the local channels (602-611) are the channels watched. We typically tune any of the SD digital content (news channels, shopping channels, travel, history, etc) on analog rather that digital and it makes no appreciable difference in quality.

However as I noted the capacity of the SD 8300 is so tiny when it comes to recording HD content. I know there is a SATA port on the back, and it says "Check with your cable service provider for a list of approved hard drive models for use with the 8300HD". Is there an expansion drive that TWC provides, or can I plug in my own, say a 750 gig external SATA?

At the moment, I plan to switch to a Vista Media Center solution which means owning my own box. By next year, I should be able to get all the local network stations OTA here in the desert, or possibly I might be able to get them on cable using QAM decoding of the unencrypted signals. Note that I will still be paying for extended basic cable service through the HOA. And I do use a cable modem as well, so I don't feel sorry for TWC.

However the best solutions would be for TWC to lean on Motorola or Scientific Atlanta for a bigger better box for which they can charge more, but would also have a decent capacity.

Now to give you my "Cable Story".

Last spring I got a Phillips HDTV with cable card slot from Costco. It worked when installed, but a few days later I could no longer receive the local channels (601-617) on the TV. The screen indicated that a firmware upgrade had been installed, and that broke eveything. The TWC cable guy who made the service call said that they have been having problems with cable cards and that Phillips TV model. They never could get it to work properly. After a couple weeks I pulled the HD cable equipment, cancelled HD service, returned the TV to Costco and decided to try again this year.

My current equipment works fine, but without me helping the cable card installation technician (a contractor) with the cable card installation (the first cable card he had installed in a TV) he would have has to call a helper. And for this I paid a fee!

But in short, I think TWC is a much more friendly company than Comcast!
post #50 of 264 Old 05-07-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy101 View Post

Easy fix... SA has been having a problem with the software that they put on the 3250HD boxes for the DVI function to work properly! Some kind of bug is all I know, they been working for a fix on it for awhile now, but they havent seemed to solve the problem, so I guess in the meantime they have disabled use of the DVI output on the 3250HD until further noticed, thats why you probably saw a picture for 2 seconds, then the software said hey, turn off you are not suppose to be on, then you loose your picture! All I can say is wait till SA fixes that problem. Other than that, SA has their 8300HD DVR that has a HDMI output instead of DVI and it works fine. I have a Explorer 8300HD and it works great with the HDMI, not a noticable picture difference from component cables, but it is just one cable instead of 5!!

Thanks for the update. I guess I'll wait.
post #51 of 264 Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post

If that's the case, then it's different from last year, when we were getting FSN HD feeds on INHD2 (which, of course, is now gone). I would hope we could get those games on INHD, but I don't really know. We didn't get tonight's Angels game in HD, but the fact that it was in HD wasn't very highly publicized. I'm going to send an e-mail this weekend to Tony Rodriguez to get clarification on the matter (also on why MLB Extra Innings HD games aren't showing up on HD PPV channel 629).

To update: according to my source, FSN HD games should generally appear on INHD.
post #52 of 264 Old 05-13-2007, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, from Indio, Shadow Hills
Has any one tried recording in HD via FW to DVHS or computer using the SA3250?
I have the SA8300, recording , in HD, Planet Earth on DVHS is mostly ok for the video but there is a short hick up in the audio every 10 sec or so.
I am waiting for video over Fios, using it for internet now. According to a Verizon Tech there is a video link missing from Banning to here and it could be a one year wait.
Gene
post #53 of 264 Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM

Lol, there is no video link missing. There is no headend for the TV so thats what is missing, is a headend, then once they get that then they have to get all the channels setup that are must carries for certain channels and that means contract agreements! Its gonna be awhile till its launched out here, and i feel sorry for you that you are getting it, TWC is gonna be hard to beat once certain things are in place. Customer service is one thing and install appointments, look how long it takes Verizon to respond for a trouble call, you think they are gonna change? they are a Union, they take their time and etc.

Cable Guy 101
post #54 of 264 Old 05-15-2007, 11:29 PM

Just to update the FSN HD situation, you'll find a number of games showing up on channel 630 in the next few weeks. There was one tonight (Dodgers/Cardinals); there should be another one tomorrow night (but whether it will be Dodgers or Angels is yet unknown).

FYI, you can find a schedule of the FSN HD games in May at: http://msn.foxsports.com/name/HD
post #55 of 264 Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 AM

San Diego just got ESPN2 HD fired up!! Which means that us here in the Palm Springs area should be getting it very soon, assuming they have another bandwith freq. to add it quickly, if not, then the analog customers may lose another channel like WE or or something to make room for the new HD channels and etc.. Remember... that 1 analog channel takes up 6 Megahertz of bandwith, but with that same 6 megahertz in digital, you can fit 2 High quality HD channels(little compression if any), or 12 digital channels, or 1 HD channel and 6 digital channels in that same frequency!! so do the math, if TWC takes away 3 more analog channels from analog customers and makes those channels only available to digital customers, then that means 3 more frequencies which could mean 36 new digital channels, or 6 more HD channels or 3 more HD channels with 18 digital channels!! pretty sweet huh, good bye analog, you are holding back us digital customers from bandwith for new and more channel, especially HD ones!!

Cable Guy 101
post #56 of 264 Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Everyone:

Just relocated to Palm Springs for a job a couple of weeks ago and just got my Time Warner Cable installed.

I got the Hi Def package as well and have a quick question about the Hi Def Signals.

Is all Hi Def programming in 1080i? Are there any stations or programs that send out a 720P signal through Time Warner?

Thanks! Jimmy
post #57 of 264 Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

Hey Everyone:

Just relocated to Palm Springs for a job a couple of weeks ago and just got my Time Warner Cable installed.

I got the Hi Def package as well and have a quick question about the Hi Def Signals.

Is all Hi Def programming in 1080i? Are there any stations or programs that send out a 720P signal through Time Warner?

Thanks! Jimmy

Well... I know at one point that ESPN and ABC in HD were broadcasting in 720P. But over time, I think ESPN has converted to full 1080i HD along with ABC. What I do is i just leave the box set for 1080i output only and dont enable all the other 480i or 480p or 720p outputs. that way my tv wont have to adjust if i go to another channel in another format, it just stays on the output and the picture quality is still very good, even though I can be watching a SD digital channel upconverted to 1080i on my box, still looks great!!

Cable Guy 101
post #58 of 264 Old 06-05-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Hey Everyone:

Thanks! Jimmy

ABC, ESPN, FOX & FOX SPORTS are 720P, most other HD channels are 1080i. I personally send out everything in the native broadcast format, then use my DVDO video processor to handle scaling and formating. Depending on your TV, you may get better results using your TV to scale the pictures, as apposed to having the cable box do the scaling.

I hope that helps...

Cheers!
post #59 of 264 Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

This weekend, I will probably be getting the same plasma tv I had in Tucson (Panasonic 50" 720P). Right now I'm using a 20" LCD 4x3 TV for now.

My DVR Box seems like it was already preset to 480i, 1080i. Cableguy 101, Is there is any harm in checking off the 720P option as well? Is there any thing you have to change on your tv from 720P to 1080i? I like the idea of being able to watch a 720P program. Also, is there any way to tell from the DVR box what the broadcast resolution is of a certain program?

Pascal - I also like the idea of getting a DVDO video processor as well and having all signals scaled for 720P or higher. I read a review of the DVDO Iscan VP20 and it sounds great.

Do either of you think there's an advantage to getting a 1080P Plasma TV over the 720P one? No broadcasting seems to be more than 720P at this point. I'd really like to get the HD DVD and Blue Ray, but might consider getting an XBox 360 and Sony Playstation 3 to get those features instead of buying DVD players for both.

Sorry to get off the topic of Hi Def Programming but look forward to your opinions.!

Jimmy
post #60 of 264 Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:

This weekend, I will probably be getting the same plasma tv I had in Tucson (Panasonic 50" 720P). Right now I'm using a 20" LCD 4x3 TV for now.

My DVR Box seems like it was already preset to 480i, 1080i. Cableguy 101, Is there is any harm in checking off the 720P option as well? Is there any thing you have to change on your tv from 720P to 1080i? I like the idea of being able to watch a 720P program. Also, is there any way to tell from the DVR box what the broadcast resolution is of a certain program?

Pascal - I also like the idea of getting a DVDO video processor as well and having all signals scaled for 720P or higher. I read a review of the DVDO Iscan VP20 and it sounds great.

Do either of you think there's an advantage to getting a 1080P Plasma TV over the 720P one? No broadcasting seems to be more than 720P at this point. I'd really like to get the HD DVD and Blue Ray, but might consider getting an XBox 360 and Sony Playstation 3 to get those features instead of buying DVD players for both.

Sorry to get off the topic of Hi Def Programming but look forward to your opinions.!

Jimmy

Well lets put it this way... If you are getting/have a 720P HDTV, then theres no point in just checking off the 1080i since your tv wont support it. You can on the DVR set it to just display 720P only and nothing else. what this will do is that the box will take any programming coming in on the channel and either upscale it to 720P or down convert it. Upscaling it of course means that it will take a 480i or 480P picture and convert it to a 720P format that then goes into your TV so you can see it, it will not look like a 720P picture because it is originally in the other formats! Downscaling would be taking a channel like Discovery HD Theater which is always in 1080i and the box will down convert that signal to a 720P picture, now you will notice the HD quality in that picture, but wont see the full quality since you are only seeing 720 lines of resolution instead of 1080, most older people cant noticed the difference that much and that is why you see HD tvs so cheap, because if you noticed, they only do up to 720P resolution and not a full 1080i picture. It costs less to make a 720p tv than a 1080i one. Also to there is a display on the HD DVR box right above the clock that will display the resolution currently being outputted. Now if you have a 1080i TV and would like to set the DVR box to display the true 720P picture and not have it converted to 1080i, then yes you can do it, in the settings under output formats, it gives you for output options which are 480i 480p 720p 1080i, and you can check what outputs you want to have the box display. If you check 480p and thats it, all prgramming you then watch will be outputted at 480p, if you check 1080i and 480p, then the box will output the channels in HD to the 1080i format even if there is a program that is 720p, now if you select 1080i 720p and 480p, then the HD channels in 1080i will be in that format, the HD channels in 720p will be 720p and the rest of the channels will be in 480p. I hope you get the picture there. you can set the box to just 720p and everything will be at 720p.

Also, get the 1080p or i tvs, dont buy a 720p one, those are just cheap ones that wont be future ready... in other words, 720p wont be around in the future, its gonna be all 1080i and 1080p, pay the extra money and get the FULL HD ones!! Also, most broadcasting is NOT in 720p, but in 1080i format. Only stations I know in 720p are ESPN and EPSN2, ABC and thats it, everything else is 1080i
so i hope that helps you out!!

Cable Guy 101
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page