Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 264 Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbrew View Post

Still trying to figure out local HD TV broadcasting. Does anyone have FIOS or Directv in the Palm Springs area? If so, do all of the local channels broadcast prime time shows in HD? Meaning, do you get American Idol on FOX in HD here? Do you get Survivor on CBS in HD? Do you get The Office in NBC? Do you get Dancing with the Stars on ABC in HD? Sometimes these companies say they offer these local channels in HD, but it's only a football game on Sunday's and nothing else. Can anyone confirm this on FIOS or Directv?

I have Time Warner Cable myself, but my neighbor has DTV and he gets all the locals in HD all the time just like I do. Can speak to FIOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

I have Time Warner Cable myself, but my neighbor has DTV and he gets all the locals in HD all the time just like I do. Can speak to FIOS.

Cool... I've been nervous because I know dish will say they have it and don't get Fox hd. Or in the past, the stations only showed some programming in hd. Even over the air, Fox and ABC or the like weren't shown at the same time in hd based on the station handling both networks and limited resources. This may have all changed, but like to confirm before pulling the trigger on a two year commitment from dtv.
post #243 of 264 Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 PM

^ Hey, I visited the Palm Springs area about a month ago, and was able to pick up NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX all in HD. FOX is carried over the air in HD on KCWQ 26.

From what I could tell from TSReader, Time Warner Cable was re-compressing KMIR/NBC and KPSP/CBS, so unless going with Fios you'd probably get a better picture with an antenna.
post #244 of 264 Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjckc View Post

^ Hey, I visited the Palm Springs area about a month ago, and was able to pick up NBC/CBS/ABC/FOX all in HD. FOX is carried over the air in HD on KCWQ 26.

From what I could tell from TSReader, Time Warner Cable was re-compressing KMIR/NBC and KPSP/CBS, so unless going with Fios you'd probably get a better picture with an antenna.

Yes, as I'm learning, I believe you're right. I may have to check my OTA signal where I live, however I remember checking a while back and couldn't get much north of Indio. Also learning that Directv is simply picking up the HD signals over the air and rebroadcasting them from the satellite...sure that works, but talk about issues... I think that would explain my thoughts that the picture was being compromised or not true HD... FIOS may be the answer, but I like Directv's options better. Thanks for the feedback.
post #245 of 264 Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Saw a friends Directv at 7:00 p.m. tonight...an hour before prime time. Entertainment Tonight (NBC), Wheel of Fortune (CBS) and Family Guy (FOX) were not in HD. All SD signals... CBS looked terrible because it was being stretched. I wonder if this is because it wasn't prime time, but it is clear, the local stations are not always passing on an HD signal...I'm still hoping they do in prime time, but waiting for the proof before I pull the trigger on DTV>.
post #246 of 264 Old 04-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Uh, why don't you go back to your friends place DURING PT & see for yourself...
Also, you DID verify that "your friend" IS actually paying (or has it FREE) for HD service on his DirecTV account? In your market, DirecTV ONLY installs HD receivers...even for SD ONLY subs (because it's an all MPEG4 locals market) so just possessing HD receivers is NOT enough to get HD service.

If you do NOT have HD Access on your DirecTV account, the receivers are all locked down to 480I/P on EVERYTHING...including your HD-only local channels. You can easily look at the front of his receivers & verify they ARE on 720P or 1080I output; if they are locked down to 480, you will be unable to change those settings.

BTW, you can take this all to the bank - our market here is an MPEG4 only locals market as well...

Also a (sort of) unrelated question...have you also considered DISH network? (instead of DTV)
They too have your "big 4" local networks in HD as well. Depending on your (HD) programming tastes...you might find DISH to be more to your liking over DTV. (although if you ARE really into sports, DTV IS the way to go...)

FWIW, I just upgraded all my existing DISH Network stuff to HD, & am in the process of ditching DTV for good! The dead slow-ass HD-GUI interface on both my HD-DVR's (& the fact that DTV would NOT lift a finger to replace them) was the final straw for me. Plus the fact that they are in dead LAST place for having basic HD channels after all these years, such as HLN, TCM, E!, etc. - pretty sad that our local Comcast system has had ALL of these (missing) HD channels & more, for over a year now!
post #247 of 264 Old 04-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Uh, why don't you go back to your friends place DURING PT & see for yourself...
Also, you DID verify that "your friend" IS actually paying (or has it FREE) for HD service on his DirecTV account? In your market, DirecTV ONLY installs HD receivers...even for SD ONLY subs (because it's an all MPEG4 locals market) so just possessing HD receivers is NOT enough to get HD service.

If you do NOT have HD Access on your DirecTV account, the receivers are all locked down to 480I/P on EVERYTHING...including your HD-only local channels. You can easily look at the front of his receivers & verify they ARE on 720P or 1080I output; if they are locked down to 480, you will be unable to change those settings.

BTW, you can take this all to the bank - our market here is an MPEG4 only locals market as well...

Also a (sort of) unrelated question...have you also considered DISH network? (instead of DTV)
They too have your "big 4" local networks in HD as well. Depending on your (HD) programming tastes...you might find DISH to be more to your liking over DTV. (although if you ARE really into sports, DTV IS the way to go...)

FWIW, I just upgraded all my existing DISH Network stuff to HD, & am in the process of ditching DTV for good! The dead slow-ass HD-GUI interface on both my HD-DVR's (& the fact that DTV would NOT lift a finger to replace them) was the final straw for me. Plus the fact that they are in dead LAST place for having basic HD channels after all these years, such as HLN, TCM, E!, etc. - pretty sad that our local Comcast system has had ALL of these (missing) HD channels & more, for over a year now!

Thanks, all good points! I know...right...it's like trying to find someone with DTV here and then inconveniently inviting myself over at 8:00 p.m. during the week just isn't working out...ugh.

I am sure they have HD service and ABC appeared to look HD widescreen, not stretched or low res...but ABC was showing The 10 Commandments, which probably didn't help! Just my luck. Yep, should have looked at the front of the receiver...didn't think of that, because who knows if they really had it set up right.

I have considered DISH but the last time I checked, they didn't have FOX here in HD, but do have the other locals...still I need FOX. Don't care about sports, so that's not an issue. Love the "Hopper" and the prime time recording, but no local FOX HD? I just checked again online for FOX in HD and I think I realize now my problem...I've been going to dishtv.com and not dish.com...are these two different sites? On dish.com I see it says FOX in HD... Crazy. Okay, we may be on to something here! Thanks for the feedback! Now, I have to see if some of the ridiculous channels my wife watches are on Dish as well. Any other feedback on Dish vs. Directv, let me know. Thanks!

Or, if anyone has Dish in Palm Springs and gets locals in HD, please report here.
post #248 of 264 Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdbrew View Post

Thanks, all good points! I know...right...it's like trying to find someone with DTV here and then inconveniently inviting myself over at 8:00 p.m. during the week just isn't working out...ugh.

I'm not sure if they still have it, but the Palm Desert Best Buy had a DirecTV demo running in the store trying to sell subs. You might go over there at 8PM and lurk.
post #249 of 264 Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger and got Directv in Palm Springs today. The good news, all of the major networks prime time programming thus far is coming in in HD...except KESQ ABC is NOT an HD picture...it is 480p at best, when the prime time HD shows should be coming in at 720p. When you switch all of the format settings on the Directv box from 480i through 1080i, the picture quality does not change. I can't imagine why they're feeding such a poor quality image when all of the other networks look great. I will do my pushing and research now, but unfortunately, KESQ / Directv is not broadcasting anything close to an HD picture in Palm Springs, which is what Directv advertises. Odd...and what I was worried about...
post #250 of 264 Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 AM

Hey smile.gif...I just joined this forum, and hold an interest in the topic of over-air television and radio stations. I live in Bermuda Dunes between Indio (my hometown) and Palm Desert.

I know the thread hasn't had a post in about a year eek.gif , it's good to know I find others in my community share the interest of what's on TV in "our side of the desert".

I'm a TWC subscriber, but I remembered growing up in Indio, when before the switch from analog to digital the Imperial Valley TV stations (KECY with transmitter KDBA now KDFX in the 1990s, KYMA which later arrived in the 90s, and KBLU/KYEL/KSWT) were retrieved OTA in the eastern Coachella Valley on certain occassions.

If you manage to have cable or satellite TV, a variety of Los Angeles, a few San Diego and bit of Arizona (plus Mexico) TV stations are available...mainly on satellite service.

My home television set (a Sanyo I purchased 7 years ago) isn't HD, but KESQ (ABC) has a HD channel on Time Warner cable channel 603 and KPSP (CBS) HD on TWC 602.

My workplace TV has an OTA digital antennae (without cable of course), but has limited reception of some low-powered stations not get received. I want to update on Channel 12 KYAV (city of license Yucca Valley) is now an Accuweather station (said the Desert Sun newspaper), except I find 12 has a silent signal the last time I know about it.

KMIR (NBC) is on 36.1 while the Live Well Network replaced a spanish language subchannel "Mexicanal" on 36.2, and KPSP (CBS) is on 42.2 I think under their owner KESQ (ABC) of News-Press&Gazette, formerly Gulf-California Broadcasting owns a handful of TV stations like KDFX (Fox), KCWQ (CW) and KUNA (Telemundo).

And KVCR (PBS) is the local public television station, while KOCE is the other PBS and KCET after dropping PBS continues to air in the Coachella Valley.

The latest updates of the Palm Springs-Coachella Valley Television market (as of 2013):
http://www.kj6ms.freeiz.com/tvl-palm.html (Palm Springs)

http://www.kj6ms.freeiz.com/tvl-pain.html (Indio)

From the AOL Huffpost TV Listings page:
http://tvlistings.aol.com/listings/ca/palm-desert/over-the-air/92260

The pdf contains the most recent information on Coachella and Palm Springs OTA television stations:
http://www.global-cm.net/TV%20CA-S.pdf

The Wikipedia listing of Coachella Valley TV stations is not to be fully trusted, since the online encyclopedia is edited in a manner it's not much a renowned source of information and I came to believe is rarely updated (enter Wikipedia's articles on the stations at your own risk). biggrin.gif I find it true Coachella Valley TV stations can be received OTA in parts of the Imperial Valley to some extent, however I consult other sources on the farthest reach of Coachella Valley-Palm Springs market channels such as Hemet/ San Jacinto to the west.
post #251 of 264 Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Do you know about the "rabbit ears" site? It is maintained by one of our most knowledgeable members and is very accurate. http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=state_search&state=CA
post #252 of 264 Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 AM

No...I hadn't (until now) knew about the "Rabbit Ears" site and thanks for the link. I know of the TV stations site, which have different listings than the other sites. New television channels not yet in existence are listed, unless they have a better database of FCC approval for licenses in the future.

http://tvstations.procontentanddesign.com/browse/city/51_Palm_Springs_CA.htm
post #253 of 264 Old 06-22-2013, 12:40 AM

Sorry for the double post, but it had to be posted. http://www.w9wi.com/ is another reliable source for TV station information, also for checking up a radio station directory (both FM and AM). I'm gonna configure the most accurate list of TV stations for the Palm Springs area in the future, since not every single channel is listed in all of the websites. Wikipedia's own list is in need for an overhaul, in fact KESQ and its subsidiaries rarely are over the air west of Palm Springs due to the San Jacinto mountains (the former translator K82BQ).
post #254 of 264 Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Man View Post

I know of the TV stations site, which have different listings than the other sites. New television channels not yet in existence are listed, unless they have a better database of FCC approval for licenses in the future.

http://tvstations.procontentanddesign.com/browse/city/51_Palm_Springs_CA.htm

Yikes, that site is at least 5 years out of date.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #255 of 264 Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Man View Post

I'm gonna configure the most accurate list of TV stations for the Palm Springs area in the future, since not every single channel is listed in all of the websites.

I get the channels listed below with one of these Mohu antennas stuck on an interior wall. There are some other channels that come in that are Spanish language or shopping channels, so I never noted them. These all come in digital HD crystal clear.

15.1 KUNA
26.4 WGN
26.7 CW
33.2 FOX
36.1 NBC
42.1 ABC
42.2 CBS
post #256 of 264 Old 09-05-2013, 11:05 PM

Since the blackout of KMIR on Time Warner Cable (TWC), I have resorted to use of an antenna for OTA reception of that station. In addition to getting KMIR's HD broadcast on channel 36.1, I was able to get ABC's (KESQ-DT) HD broadcast on channel 42.1, as well as KPSP, channel 42.2, and KDFX, channel 33.2.

However, I noticed that KESQ's Fox (KDFX-DT) and CBS (KPSP-DT) affiliates on channels 33.2 and 42.2 respectively are not being broadcast in HD (at least not on those channel locations). In fact the video is 4:3 and 480i resolution. Yet, the feed for those stations to TWC for Fox and CBS are in HD......16:9 and 720p and/or 1080i respectively.

Question: Are these stations' HD signals being broadcast via low power transmitters on some other channels and if so, what kind of antenna would I need here in Indio, 92201, to receive these networks in HD. Or is it possible to receive them OTA in my location at all, in the event that these are being broadcast by low power transmitters.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Confused and frustrated viewer !
post #257 of 264 Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennemax1 View Post

Yet, the feed for those stations to TWC for Fox and CBS are in HD......16:9 and 720p and/or 1080i respectively.

They (99% sure) have a direct feed to cable system(s) headends...many (smaller) DMA's do this sort of thing, when the OTA station(s) can't/won't upgrade their OTA transmitters...they also do this for (both) sat companies... wink.gif
post #258 of 264 Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fox is in HD on KCWQ-LD 26 (showing as 33-3). CBS used to be on KPSP-CD but now seems to be unavailable in HD over the air in Palm Springs.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #259 of 264 Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Fox is in HD on KCWQ-LD 26 (showing as 33-3). CBS used to be on KPSP-CD but now seems to be unavailable in HD over the air in Palm Springs.

Are you sure; what about this? (yea, I know Wiki is NOT always right, but...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPSP-CD
Quote:
In January 2013, News Press & Gazette acquired the KPSP-CD license, as well as KYAV-LD, from Desert Television.[2] The Class A channel 38 digital transmitter was turned back on on February 7, allowing CBS programming to be shown over the air in 1080i high definition for the first time in nearly a year. NPG's acquisition of the Desert Television assets was completed on April 26.

Kennemax1 - the CBS HD feed is on digital 38.1 & FOX HD is on digital 39 (not sure about the .x): both are from transmitters on Edom Hill in Cathedral City (again according to Wiki... )
BOTH are low-powered, so they obviously do not have the reach of the ABC/NBC stations.
Did you try TV Fool to see what (signals) it shows for your location???
post #260 of 264 Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 PM

For Trip:
Noticed that you are in Alexandria, VA. Were you in the Palm Springs area before and if so, were you able to get the Fox affiliate KDFX on 33.3 ? I can only receive their digital broadcast on 33.2 and it is definitely not HD. It is 4:3 and 480i video.

Thanks to you and "online" for confirming my suspicions re: feed to TWC.
post #261 of 264 Old 09-08-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishrich View Post

Are you sure; what about this? (yea, I know Wiki is NOT always right, but...)

100% sure, as of May 30, 2013. On that date, it was running a single SD feed of weather.

http://www.rabbitears.info/screencaps/ca-psp/10535-0_0.htm
Quote:
Kennemax1 - the CBS HD feed is on digital 38.1 & FOX HD is on digital 39 (not sure about the .x): both are from transmitters on Edom Hill in Cathedral City (again according to Wiki... )
BOTH are low-powered, so they obviously do not have the reach of the ABC/NBC stations.
Did you try TV Fool to see what (signals) it shows for your location???

Wiki is wrong. KDFX-CA 39 is analog, not digital. KPSP-CD 38 is feeding weather in SD, not CBS in HD. (As of 5/30/13.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennemax1 View Post

For Trip:
Noticed that you are in Alexandria, VA. Were you in the Palm Springs area before and if so, were you able to get the Fox affiliate KDFX on 33.3 ? I can only receive their digital broadcast on 33.2 and it is definitely not HD. It is 4:3 and 480i video.

No, but I have a contact who visits Palm Springs about twice per year. His next visit is in October. On his last update on 5/30/13, he confirmed the presence of Fox in HD on KCWQ-LD. (Well, technically, at the time of his visit, they were having an equipment problem and it would have displayed on most TV sets as 26-4, but hopefully that has been corrected by now.)

http://www.rabbitears.info/screencaps/ca-psp/167761-0_0.htm

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #262 of 264 Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 PM

FOX has never been available OTA in HD here. It has only been available in 480i as a sub channel on KESQ.
CBS was available OTA in HD here prior to the KPSP sale to KESQ.
CBS is currently only available in 480i as a sub channel on KESQ

Something very bizarre is happening today as I just did a scan.. KESQ news in HD is running continuously on 12-9.
I wonder if they are doing some testing prior to bringing up CBS or FOX in HD?
post #263 of 264 Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprenove View Post

FOX has never been available OTA in HD here. It has only been available in 480i as a sub channel on KESQ.
CBS was available OTA in HD here prior to the KPSP sale to KESQ.
CBS is currently only available in 480i as a sub channel on KESQ

Something very bizarre is happening today as I just did a scan.. KESQ news in HD is running continuously on 12-9.
I wonder if they are doing some testing prior to bringing up CBS or FOX in HD?

I did a rescan just now and I also see the continuous KESQ news on 12-9.

Also noticed FOX is in 720p HD on 33-3 KDFX-LD (still 480i on 33-2 KDFX-DT).

So to recap, here is what I get (networks only) today after a fresh scan:

12-9 KESQ/ABC affiliate news in 720p
33-2 KDFX-DT/Fox in 480i
33-3 KDFX-LD/Fox in 720p
36-1 KMIR/NBC in 1080i
42-1 KESQ/ABC in 480i
42-2 KPSP/CBS in 480i
post #264 of 264 Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Wealeboy,you are correct on 33-3. For some unknown reason, I needed to add it manually. So now only CBS in HD is missing
Will be interesting to see what happens with 12-9. It is hard to believe that they would be using HD bandwidth for continuous news.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page