Palm Springs, CA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 264 Old 03-16-2005, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see that TW Cable now offers the four major networks in HD. Their HD package is becoming more interesting.

My question is, "Does anyone here have this service; and how does the picture quality compare to satellite?"

Current Status:

OTA summary is easy. Only NBC DT 46. That's it.

Well, there is DT 23, that is an independent. Seems to be all infomercials. Nothing I ever want to see. Makes one wonder how they can afforf the change to digital, and the local networks can not?

TW cable is now offering ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I assume the local station have the capability to pass through the network HD broadcasts, even though they do not have local digital broadcasts. They also offer a few of the HD cable channels. The list can be found on the TW Cable web page.

Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 264 Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 PM

Liked: 10
I am also interested in this.
post #3 of 264 Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I'll make this the official Palm Springs thread and hopefully (eventually) more Palm Springs AVS members will join and participate.

Clapple: Can you summarize the OTA & Cable HD offerings in the area?
post #4 of 264 Old 04-05-2005, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

OTA summary is easy. Only NBC DT 46. That's it.

Well, there is DT 23, that is an independent. Seems to be all infomercials. Nothing I ever want to see. Makes one wonder how they can afforf the change to digital, and the local networks can not?

TW cable is now offering ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. I assume the local station have the capability to pass through the network HD broadcasts, even though they do not have local digital broadcasts. They also offer a few of the HD cable channels. The list can be found on the TW Cable web page.

I was hoping someone, who has the TW's HD service, could tell us about the picture quality and their DVR service.

Red
post #5 of 264 Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by Layzie310
I am also interested in this.

Since no one else responded, I've decided to try it my self. Installation on April 26. No commitment, so there is nothing to lose.

Since we appear to be the only two here, from PS area, I'll report after I view it, for awhile.

Red
post #6 of 264 Old 04-13-2005, 03:28 PM

KVMD-DT's sole reason for existance is to beam infomercials to the LA market. They aim their signal at LA and do a pretty good job getting in there. I am in Moreno Valley, just on the other side of Mt. San Jacinto about 45 miles away, but I can't see anything from Palm Springs here OTA. As I recall KESQ had a CP for a DT transmitter which would have made it powerful enough to pick up as far west as Riverside. I was really looking forward to a more "local" network station, especially for the news. Has anyone heard if KESQ still plans on covering the western part of the county?
post #7 of 264 Old 10-13-2005, 07:41 PM

On channel 631 (INHD2) the TWC banner reads that they are airing the Fox Sports West HD feed of the Kings vs. Red Wings game, but they are showing the regular INHD2 feed does anyone know who needs to be contacted to correct this (TWC or INHD)?
post #8 of 264 Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Hi,
I'm new to AVS. I live on Mountain View CC and we have to use "Advanced Broadband" cable service. Needless to say they are not very advanced and offer no HD service.

I signed up for DirecTV HD - it should be installed this coming weekend.

So, I will continue to get local channels via Advanced Broadband using the basic cable service included in the home owners assoc. fees.

I know NBC does OTA HD at the moment. If I want to receive this stuff I need to an antenna. The homeowners assoc. refuses to let me have an antenna on the rook along with the dish.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,
John

----------------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 264 Old 11-30-2005, 03:22 PM

Hi again,
I poked around the Directv website and it looks like I'm eligible for Distant Network Service (DNS). I guess I need to ask for this when I enable the service on Saturday.

It takes 45 days to then get the LA signals if approved, but the Directv website says I am eligible for ABC, FOX, CBS and maybe NBC.

Anyone gone through this out in 92253??

Thanks,
John

post #10 of 264 Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

trying to set my dad up with QAM down here with Time Warner...I'll let you guys know if we get any channels...he can't get locals over D* because of multiple homes and his market is the Bay Area...he's gonna love me if I can get him Fox and NBC in HD...
post #11 of 264 Old 02-07-2006, 02:02 PM

DrCrawn,
I receive ABC, FOX, CBS via D* from LA in High Def. I also get the regular non-HD LA feed for NBC. This was pretty simple to setup. I asked D* to file a request with the local NBC station for a waiver - so far nothing.

Otherwise, I watched the Superbowl in HD for the first time and it was wonderful!

John

post #12 of 264 Old 02-07-2006, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatobrit View Post

DrCrawn,
I receive ABC, FOX, CBS via D* from LA in High Def. I also get the regular non-HD LA feed for NBC. This was pretty simple to setup. I asked D* to file a request with the local NBC station for a waiver - so far nothing.

Otherwise, I watched the Superbowl in HD for the first time and it was wonderful!

John

We've submitted and been denied about 4 times. It's not D*, they have been extremely helpful. He's getting ABC and CBS, that's it. At the main home he gets everything of course, including OTA channels.

So today we picked up an older LG LST-3510a, which is an upscaling DVD player, ATSC receiver, and QAM capable. Plugged it in to our Time Warner, got 22 channels, virtually all of them are scrambled. I think we picked up one music channel, and three garbage channels.

I keep telling him what Time Warner is doing is illegal, since they are required to digital simulcast, but I doubt he's going to fight them over it.

He's been with D* for many many many years and plans to stay put. I tried, but the QAM was a no go...too bad.

I am taking the LG unit with me to Seattle though, great unit! The build date was Nov. 04 and it was only $220 at Circuit City locally. Not bad for a 3 in one HD player with HDCP.
post #13 of 264 Old 05-29-2006, 10:56 AM

I just got an HD ready 27 inch LCD monitor from Sam's Club and will get a DirectTV HD receiver from Costco to see if I can get OTA reception for HD. I do not have Cable nor any satellite programming. I only get OTA programming. And so I will report here the OTA side of HDTV.
post #14 of 264 Old 05-29-2006, 12:06 PM

Cool. I am using DirecTV and get HD LA feeds but would prefer to get OTA - I see one OTA antenna in the complex I'm living in but otherwise I don't know what the signal is like.

Good luck!

post #15 of 264 Old 11-17-2006, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Bump to avoid archiving.
post #16 of 264 Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Cable changes irk some valley viewers
TimeWarner shifts channels, still negotiating with CW, NFL

Lou Hirsh, The Desert Sun
November 23, 2006

When he saw the notice that came with his recent cable TV bill, Kirk Gregory of Palm Desert was incredulous.

Effective Nov. 15, Time Warner Cable was removing 12 East Coast feeds of channels from its premium digital lineup, including extra versions of HBO, Showtime and Cinemax.

In addition, eight basic-cable offerings, including California Channel, TV Guide and Lifetime Movies, would be switching to new channel slots.

The basic offerings mainly stayed in the basic lineup and the pay-movie stations are now available via the cable company's On Demand service, which is already free to premium channel subscribers.

But the latest round of channel-changing irked Gregory - coming on the heels of recent events that have left offerings like the CW Network and NFL Network unavailable to local viewers.

"When I read this letter, I thought to myself, they're taking things away, but they're not lowering the bill or giving us something else that we want," said Gregory, 59, who has worked in ad sales at several Southern California TV and radio stations.

Local Time Warner officials said the changes reflect major shifts taking place in the cable industry nationwide.

Some are prompted by the ongoing transition of cable systems from analog to all-digital signal delivery.

Others come as cable companies are competing with satellite, phone and other telecommunications providers to offer bundled packages of Internet, telephone and TV services.

"We saw an opportunity to provide all of these through our own systems, and obviously we feel we can do it better than the phone and satellite companies," said Michael Bauerfeind, director of new business development for Time Warner Cable in Palm Desert. "That's a big reason behind the changes that our customers are seeing."

Bauerfeind said Time Warner notified its 150,000 valley customer households well in advance, with billing inserts, letters mailed directly to subscribers and recent newspaper ads.

"We've received very few complaints about this," he said.

Generally, Bauerfeind said Time Warner has been shifting some basic stations from high channel numbers to lower ones, with those above 75 generally reserved for digital offerings.

Eventually, all Time Warner systems nationwide will offer fully digital services.

Bauerfeind noted that nearly all of the basic or "advantage service" channels that saw their channel assignments change - including TV Guide channel, Los Angeles' KCBS and Lifetime Movies - remained in the same tier and will not see their availability or prices change.

In addition, he noted the company has added 11 On Demand channels - including Exercise TV, HD Pay-per-View and International Movies on Demand - at no extra cost to premium subscribers.

For now at least, the company has no major price increases on the horizon.

Instead, Bauerfeind said Time Warner is looking to offer more "a la carte" package offerings to blend different levels of basic and premium cable TV with phone service and various speeds of Internet service.

Packages would have a wider variety of prices based on services ordered. The company will be announcing new package offerings by year's end or early 2007.

Ongoing disputes
Still other changes upsetting viewers involve national and local disputes among networks, stations and cable providers over carriage rights to certain programming.

For instance, valley cable viewers won't be able to see the Thanksgiving Day debut of prime time pro football on the National Football League's own NFL Network.

That's because several national cable companies, including Time Warner, Cablevision and Charter Communications, have yet to reach a deal with the NFL to carry its eight-game schedule.

And more than two months after its national debut, the newly created CW Network - featuring former WB and UPN shows like "Gilmore Girls" and "America's Next Top Model" - is still missing on valley cable.

That stems from an impasse between Time Warner and Gulf-California Broadcast Co., which operates several valley TV stations.

In the meantime, Gulf-California's over-the-airwaves KCWQ has been broadcasting CW Network shows on non-cable Channel 2.

Bauerfeind said the two sides are close to an agreement after several weeks of negotiations.

Bob Allen, executive vice president of Gulf-California Broadcasting, said his company is waiting for a written version of a draft agreement to arrive from the national headquarters office of Time Warner Cable. Allen said he hopes both sides can sign off on a final deal within the next two or three weeks.

"We were able to hammer out most of the deal points about three weeks ago," he said.

More behind-the-scenes changes are ahead for Time Warner in the valley, Bauerfeind said.

The company is in the process of converting its Palm Desert office into a customer service center, while administration and maintenance support will be housed in a new headquarters building under construction in Indio.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc.../1003/business
post #17 of 264 Old 11-26-2006, 11:30 PM

I live on Dillon Road amout 5 miles nnw of Edom Hill transmitters.
With a Radio Shack HDTV Grey Dish Antenna($80) I pick up
2.3 KCWQ Test Pattern
23.3/4/5 KVMD stuff
33.2 KDFX Fox
36.1 KMIR NBC
42.1 KESQ ABC

Signal strength is > 70, Compression free Picture is Outstanding.

Issues:
1. Advanced Closed Caption on KMIR is broken..I've sent a note to KMIR Engineering
2. When will KCWQ begin DT transmission (the new CW Network)?
3. When will the Hustons upgrade their station (Cable 2/UHF 38) to provide CBS-DT
post #18 of 264 Old 11-27-2006, 04:55 PM

Hey folks! It has been such a long time since anyone posted here.

I am in LQ around 30/40 miles from any transmitters (according to antennaweb) so I don't know if I would be able to get OTA or not. Any advice would be helpful.

I did read the article posted above - we have "Advanced Broadband" cable in my development which means that I need OTA or DirecTV to get HD - I chose D*. I understand that Advanced Broadband are selling their network to Time Warner so I was initially pleased about this but after reading the article I'm not too sure.

I get around 8/10 HD channels on D* otherwise it is all standard definition...

post #19 of 264 Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM

The RS 15-2187
HDTV Indoor/Outdoor
Directional Antenna

"Thank you for purchasing your HD Indoor/Outdoor Antenna
from RadioShack Its built in low noise amplifier receives
both analog and HDTV signals up to 50 miles away, and its
FM trap prevents strong FM stations from interfering with
TV channels 2-13. Its 20 width makes it ideal for many
mounting locations, such as a roof, sidewall, or attic."

This directional antenna is designed to receive UHF
DTV signals and most close-in VHF DTV signals.
Freq. (Channels) DTV Analog
VHF (2-6) up to 20 miles up to 15 miles
VHF (7-13) up to 40 miles up to 35 miles
UHF (14-69) up to 50 miles up to 45 miles
post #20 of 264 Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 AM

Cool! Thanks - I will check it out.

post #21 of 264 Old 12-06-2006, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Time Warner Cable customers in Indio encounter troubles
The Desert Sun, December 6, 2006

Many Time Warner Cable customers in Indio began reporting problems Wednesday morning with cable TV access, connecting to the Internet or with digital phone service.

Customers began calling in and a message was put on the company's customer service phone line notifying anyone that the cable company was aware of the problem and has repair personnel responding to the issues.

As of 9:30 a.m. there was no estimated time that repairs would be completed, Time Warner Cable officials said.

http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbc...plate=printart
post #22 of 264 Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are the Time Warner Cable changes going into effect in Desert Hot Springs Jan. 10.

Michael Perrault, The Desert Sun, December 15, 2006

Time Warner Cable television subscribers in Desert Hot Springs will notice a change in programming on Jan. 10.

Now that Time Warner Cable has taken over operations from former cable service provider Adelphia Communications and added new technology, it will be providing Desert Hot Springs with the same programming that Palm Springs, Palm Desert and other desert cities receive.

So it's a rather significant change for their community, said Kathi Jacobs, director of government and community relations for the company's Desert Cities operations.

The move comes after Time Warner Inc. and Comcast Corp. this summer acquired the assets of Colorado-based Adelphia Communications, following approval by the Federal Communications Commission in late July.

The transaction opened the door for Time Warner Cable Desert Cities to extend its cable television and other products and services to residents living in Desert Hot Springs, Yucca Valley, Morongo Valley, Joshua Tree and Twentynine Palms.

Residents will have an option to acquire its three-play option that includes a bundling of services to include cable television, Road Runner high speed internet and digital phone service, Jacobs said.

Additional features to come include a 100 percent digital quality channel lineup, Start Over and other interactive applications like fantasy sports, polling and voting, Caller ID on TV and eBay on TV.

http://www.desertsunonline.com/apps/...PDATE/61215041
post #23 of 264 Old 12-22-2006, 04:08 PM

I got this e-mail from Time Warner today:

"Dear Valued Customer,

We have some exciting news to share - regarding High Definition programming.

On December 28, INHD2 will combine their programming onto INHD. We are happy to announce that we will replace INHD2 with Universal HD. We are certain you will find Universal HD to be a great addition to the HD VIP Pak.

Universal HD offers unedited and uninterrupted films, award winning dramas, series, sports, specials and performance arts programming all from the Universal library.

We hope you enjoy this new high definition programming!
Visit our website at twcdesertcities.com

Sincerely,
Time Warner Cable"

No mention of any additional channels (ESPN2 HD etc.)...
post #24 of 264 Old 12-22-2006, 06:44 PM

Nothing to do with HD, but TWC has started to switch channels from analog to digital (ie. KESQ, History Channel, HGTV, and many more.)
post #25 of 264 Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 PM

Sorry to bring this back up, but I was wondering if CBS is HD in desert on OTA yet? I pick up every other local HD OTA channel but I cant get CBS in HD. I can with my Sony HD-DVR via its QAM tuner picks it up as 38.1. The only Channels I have so far are

33.2 FOX
36.1 NBC
42.1 ABC

And that test patter on 2.3.

I'm using an Media Center PC with HDTV tuner built in to pick up the channels, and it will scan 38.1 if I add it my self, and it gives me 70% signal, but when I try and tune to that channel it says no signal. So i was just wondering if thats even a channel out here in the Desert.

Thanks
post #26 of 264 Old 03-17-2007, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

SoCal executive replaced at Time Warner

04:37 PM PDT on Friday, March 16, 2007

By JONATHAN SHIKES
The Press-Enterprise

Time Warner Cable has replaced its top Southern California executive while the company continues to struggle with technical and customer-service problems related to the acquisition and integration of former Adelphia and Comcast systems.

Barry Rosenblum, who oversees the telecommunications provider's New York City operations, will replace Roger Keating, Time Warner said Friday. Rosenblum will bring three members of his management team to Southern California.

The nation's largest cable company took over more than 1.1 million Comcast and Adelphia accounts in Riverside, San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles and Ventura counties late last year. It now has 1.9 million subscribers in the region.

But when in tried to convert technology from three companies into a single operation, customers began experiencing cable outages and picture problems, missing channels, e-mail disruptions, major service delays and other problems.

"The company realizes there have been some missteps," said Time Warner spokeswoman Patti Rockenwagner. "The integration has not gone as we anticipated."

Customers were also frustrated by extraordinarily long hold times, rude service and inconsistent answers, said Moreno Valley spokeswoman Angela Rushen.

In November, after Time Warner switched former Adelphia customers, Moreno Valley dealt with 19 complaints. It usually gets one a month, Rushen said.

Time Warner acknowledged the problems in December and delayed the transition of some systems to better handle customer services and technical issues.

But problems have continued.

"We are seeing gradual, steady improvement," Rockenwagner said. "We are not quite where we want to be, but we are moving in the right direction."

Reach Jonathan Shikes at 951-368-9552 or jshikes@PE.com.

Cable disabled

Time Warner Cable has about 310,000 subscribers in western Riverside and San Bernardino counties. It has 425,000 customers in the Coachella Valley.

http://www.pe.com/business/local/sto...7.28db2db.html
post #27 of 264 Old 03-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Hey guys, I work with TWC here in Palm Desert... any questions I may answer for you as a insider I would be glad to talk about!!

A few things to mention since I saw it on another post,
More HD channels are coming this fall, no specifics yet on which ones but they are coming, we are currently making room for bandwith on the cable so we can accomodate the new channels!! That is why you are slowly seeing channels disappear from the high 70's... we only go up to ch.73 now with ch 77 still in there for the hispanic population. We also are currently about 80% complete with getting all of the channels digitally simulcasted with their analog counterparts. Theres only about i think 12-15 more channels to go to switch over to digital, not only that, if you dont have a box and have standard service, the analog channels will look a lot better since we are not converting a digital signal into analog instead of analog to analog!! so yeah, its pretty awesome. Also future Roadrunner improvements on the way to compete with FiOS, currently RR is at 7Mb down and 500Kb up, soon to be around 10Mb down and 1 Mb up. more info as it comes to me! any other questions from previous posts or anything you guys may wanna know on the TWC side lemme know!!

Cable guy

Cable Guy 101
post #28 of 264 Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Former Adelphia customers suing Time Warner Cable

By Nathan Baca
NewsChannel 3
http://www.kesq.com/global/story.asp...Type=Printable

Some Time Warner Cable customers here in the Desert could be getting some money back, if a class action lawsuit succeeds against the company.

When Adelphia Cable closed down its local operations centered in Desert Hot Springs and Thousand Palms, Time Warner Cable took over.

A new lawsuit accuses Time Warner of making promises to its new customers that it couldn't keep.

Some customers say they've experienced outages of their cable and internet services for days.

The class action lawsuit is looking for Time Warner Cable to pay refunds to former Adelphia customers.

"Maybe a month free or something," said Dolores Joseph, a customer angry at Time Warner Cable. "They said we were going to have the service by a certain time. They didn't have it by a certain time. We're still putting up with faulty pictures."

Lawyers say it could take a year for the class action lawsuit to get to court.

Time Warner says while they feel the lawsuit is meritless, it would be inappropriate for them to comment further.

If you are a former Adelphia customer and are interested in more info about the class action lawsuit against Time Warner Cable. E-mail Atty. Alexander Rufus-Issacs at ari@gbsjlaw.com
post #29 of 264 Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 AM

I have a question. What is the most current setup box from hd that is a non dvr that you guys use.

Thanks
post #30 of 264 Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 PM

We have 2. The Scientific Atlanta 3200HD and the Pace 551 model. I think that model for Pace is wrong, but its something like that!! I think the Pace is the better of the 2 boxes for the fact that it has HDMI outputs and looks a lil sleeker!!

Cable Guy 101
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page