post #7321 of 7552 Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
Looks to have been only temporary, as Retro TV is back on as of this afternoon.
Yep got restarted at noon. It got really bad breaking up during the rain yesterday, then went completely black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7322 of 7552 Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Get TV (49.2) seems to be having some interesting issues. I tuned in this morning to watch the movie "Screaming Mimi". I watched the first 15 minutes or so, until the first commercial, then after the break the movie started again at the beginning. I kept watching thinking it was a fluke, then it happened again...and again. I finally turned it off after the third or fourth time it repeated.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the south-western quadrant of the Greater Krum, TX  Metropolitan Area. 

73, K5ING (Jeff)

Last edited by K5ING; 06-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.
post #7323 of 7552 Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Still saw some issues on Retro TV last Saturday. but at least they were different issues

Biggest problem was some sort of intermittent video "stutter" where a narrow band of the picture would "tile" itself from the top of the screen to the bottom for a fraction of a second. Never saw that before.
post #7324 of 7552 Old 06-17-2014, 05:12 PM

Liked: 10
Exclamation WFAA issues

I recently bought a Mohu Leaf 50 amplified Antenna and am quite impressed with the indoor reception. I am getting almost all the channel I want expect WFAA. I can't find a position to put the Mohu where it will clearly always pick up WFAA. The Mohu looks to be qualified for VHF Lo and Hi, so it should work. I am NNW about 40 miles off from their antenna site.

Why is the signal for WFAA so troublesome? Is there any simple solution, like getting a better indoor antenna?

I would rather not bother wiring an attic or outdoor antenna just to get ONE troublesome channel, WFAA!
post #7325 of 7552 Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
I recently bought a Mohu Leaf 50 amplified Antenna and am quite impressed with the indoor reception. I am getting almost all the channel I want expect WFAA. I can't find a position to put the Mohu where it will clearly always pick up WFAA. The Mohu looks to be qualified for VHF Lo and Hi, so it should work. I am NNW about 40 miles off from their antenna site.

Why is the signal for WFAA so troublesome? Is there any simple solution, like getting a better indoor antenna?

I would rather not bother wiring an attic or outdoor antenna just to get ONE troublesome channel, WFAA!
Hi thureen,

I have a Mohu 50 hooked up to a Sanyo DP24E14 HDTV and I can get all 3 WFAAs just fine. And I live 29 miles NNW of Cedar Hill, under a DFW flight path.

Where do you place your Leaf? When I want WFAA in the green, I place the antenna about 6 feet above the floor (not near a corner), with the cable as straight as possible, and my laptop unplugged (AC adapter is plugged into the same wall I hang my Leaf; my Mohu 50 amp is plugged into my TV's USB, which in turn, is plugged into a surge protector on a different wall). I live in my parent's house, a one-story brick (no aluminum, no stucco).

I was able to watch the Indy 500, some radar on 8-2, and a Live Well show (can't wait for a replacement!) on 8-3, and all was well in terms of getting the tower! Last night, I placed the antenna in that same position, and still all green! (This position is useful for me to "get GetTV" as well!)

Anyway, that's my experience with WFAA on a Mohu 50. Please give us some more specifics (window or no window, etc.) so we can help you! (And if you missed the Spurs winning or some World Cup in English, we apologize. )

dtv_junkie87
post #7326 of 7552 Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The Mohu is a UHF design. Any VHF reception is coincidental to its design and is usually due to a vary strong and favorable VHF signal.

Indoor reception of VHF signals has proven to be problematic since the digital transition, usually due the combination of lower transmit powers, elevated indoor noise levels, and inefficient VHF antenna designs.
post #7327 of 7552 Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
Hi thureen,

I have a Mohu 50 hooked up to a Sanyo DP24E14 HDTV and I can get all 3 WFAAs just fine. And I live 29 miles NNW of Cedar Hill, under a DFW flight path.

Where do you place your Leaf? When I want WFAA in the green, I place the antenna about 6 feet above the floor (not near a corner), with the cable as straight as possible, and my laptop unplugged (AC adapter is plugged into the same wall I hang my Leaf; my Mohu 50 amp is plugged into my TV's USB, which in turn, is plugged into a surge protector on a different wall). I live in my parent's house, a one-story brick (no aluminum, no stucco).

I was able to watch the Indy 500, some radar on 8-2, and a Live Well show (can't wait for a replacement!) on 8-3, and all was well in terms of getting the tower! Last night, I placed the antenna in that same position, and still all green! (This position is useful for me to "get GetTV" as well!)

Anyway, that's my experience with WFAA on a Mohu 50. Please give us some more specifics (window or no window, etc.) so we can help you! (And if you missed the Spurs winning or some World Cup in English, we apologize. )

dtv_junkie87

Thats pretty cool you can pick up WFAA with Mohu. The Mohu is downstairs of a two story brick house, which I am sure is lowering the signal quality. There are no windows on side of wall facing SSW where all the towers are located.

I have tried placing the Mohu about 6 feet high along the South Wall of the room with no luck with WFAA. The best spot I found was on the chimney/fireplace wall which is angled towards SSW, it is 6 feet high off the ground. It gets most the channels and picks up a bad signal of WFAA. I can get bits and piece of WFAA at this location.

I haven't even through about straightening cables or messing around with power. The Mohu amplifier is plugged to the wall outlet through the AC adapter. Do you think these things may fix the Mohu signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
The Mohu is a UHF design. Any VHF reception is coincidental to its design and is usually due to a vary strong and favorable VHF signal.

Indoor reception of VHF signals has proven to be problematic since the digital transition, usually due the combination of lower transmit powers, elevated indoor noise levels, and inefficient VHF antenna designs.
I seem to get CBS which is near the same VHF range as WFAA/ABC. I have feeling no easy solution is available to get WFAA.
post #7328 of 7552 Old 06-18-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Your CBS station is a UHF channel, so the comparison isn't relevant.
post #7329 of 7552 Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 PM

To ProjectSHO: Well, KTVT ONCE had an RF 11 transmitter, but lost a lot of viewers exactly five years ago this month from the analog shutdown, so an RF 19 transmitter was constructed. Both 11 and 19 operated simultaneously until a couple of years ago, when CBS 11 broadcast solely on 19.

To thureen: How about moving your antenna around while your TV is on 8-1, 8-2, or 8-3? That's what I've done with my Leaf. Eventually, you'll find a spot, if lucky! Maybe the reason I can get WFAA so well at my sweet spot is because of either a stud or copper wire. My Sanyo is NOT in a living room, and I am a very active person, so I do not mind moving my Mohu every time I want to watch a certain channel. (I mainly watch 8 for college football season and something else once in a blue moon.) Otherwise, much of what I enjoy (all UHF and classic diginets), I place in a low, non-distracting position.

dtv_junkie87
post #7330 of 7552 Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Your CBS station is a UHF channel, so the comparison isn't relevant.
Building off of this. In the DFW area, there are only 3 VHF stations:
KSFW (Infomercials) on RF2
WFAA (ABC/Weather/LiveWell) on RF8
KFWD (Mundofox) on RF9

Unless you know spanish, WFAA is the only VHF station worth getting.

I picked up a ClearStream 2V a while back, and after some adjustments, I'm able to pick up all the DFW-area channels except for KSFW (VERY low power but nothing important), KGSW (physical channel overlap with KPFW) and the two stations out in Stephenville and Mineral Wells (too far away).
I'm about 35 miles (4th story and LOS) from Cedar Hill, but keep my antenna indoors by a window. I doubt sticking it outside would net me much else.

(Edit: newlines went poof)

Last edited by PlnOTA; 06-19-2014 at 04:27 AM.
post #7331 of 7552 Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, KTVT ONCE had an RF 11 transmitter
The channel 11 transmitter was shut down a year and a half ago. My point was that the comparison of a VHF station and a UHF station, although on the same physical tower, is a comparison that isn't useful as the signals have different propagation characteristics.

The C2V has about the best VHF element and combining system I've seen in an antenna that's small enough (arguably) for indoor usage. Combine it, when appropriate, with a low noise, medium gain indoor amp and it's about as good as you're going to get from a performance standpoint. You can even buy the VHF element and combiner as a separate item now.

Last edited by ProjectSHO89; 06-19-2014 at 05:05 AM.
post #7332 of 7552 Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
Maybe the reason I can get WFAA so well at my sweet spot is because of either a stud or copper wire.

dtv_junkie87
It's possible; I doubt a stud would help much, but a wire or other metal object in the wall (especially if it's horizontal) could help a UHF antenna like the Leaf pick up VHF signals.
post #7333 of 7552 Old 06-23-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm up in Flower Mound now but even when I was down near Preston and Frankford (N. Dallas), channel 8 digital stations were challenging. In both locations I installed outdoor antennas (CM-2020) in the attic and used a tuner with a "decent" strength meter to get a balance of a decent signal for "8" and then the rest while aiming (using an amplifier in Flower Mound as well). If using DTV add on tuner, add the problem that the AM21 tuner is not "the most sensitive tuner" and it can be a challenge!!!

http://www.wfaa.com/on-tv/let-me-spe...-99577854.html
post #7334 of 7552 Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 AM

What has KERA changed this year? ? ?

Specifically, less than a month ago, we used to be able to get KERA in North Garland with an RCA ANT1600R flat indoor amplified antenna. But no more. Before, you could just get KERA with a sweet spot with the antenna lying flat on the TV tray. But nothing now...

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!

Last edited by See The Light; 06-24-2014 at 02:32 AM.
post #7335 of 7552 Old 06-24-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

KERA was forced to move to a new tower and antenna early this year. But the only folks that were expected to lose KERA with the change were a very few that live south of the Metroplex. Here in South Garland KERA is coming in better than ever with their new antenna.

I suspect you're having a different problem in North Garland. Probably trees. They've been bedeviling me all spring!

Rest assured KERA is still there and on the same channel (RF 14, virtual 13). Their signal should be about the same strength, but you'll have to hunt for a new "sweet spot" and/or try a different antenna.
post #7336 of 7552 Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is ANYONE still on the old KTVT 11 tower?? IIRC, the UHF KTVT moved to the Richland south tower...and KERA was the only one left on the old stick..or did KTVT maintain an aux on it?
post #7337 of 7552 Old 06-24-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
KERA was forced to move to a new tower and antenna early this year. But the only folks that were expected to lose KERA with the change were a very few that live south of the Metroplex. Here in South Garland KERA is coming in better than ever with their new antenna.

I suspect you're having a different problem in North Garland. Probably trees. They've been bedeviling me all spring!

Rest assured KERA is still there and on the same channel (RF 14, virtual 13). Their signal should be about the same strength, but you'll have to hunt for a new "sweet spot" and/or try a different antenna.

Yes, JH, there is a very tall and large tree across the alley. We will try a different antenna.

Cable Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #7338 of 7552 Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTTV View Post
Is ANYONE still on the old KTVT 11 tower?? IIRC, the UHF KTVT moved to the Richland south tower...and KERA was the only one left on the old stick..or did KTVT maintain an aux on it?
If anyone is still on it, they'll have to move since the tower property is going to be used for other purposes, to wit, "THE 'TOWER OWNER OF KERA-TV'S LICENSED SITE HAS ADVISED NTPB THAT THE TOWER WILL BE DISMANTLED AND THE LAND DEVELOPED FOR OTHER PURPOSES.' ". See the notation in the app here:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...&fac_num=49324

And yes, KTVT is diplexed with sister KTXA on the candelabra atop Richland South (or whatever it might be called now since American Tower bought them not too long ago). I'm not really certain that KERA has moved yet since a license to cover for the CP cited above hasn't appeared.
post #7339 of 7552 Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

There was some change earlier this year that boosted KERA's signal reading at several locations across the metroplex. It forced them to be off the air for a few hours, so it could have been the new antenna, and/or a change to their mask filter, and/or something else. I have no way of knowing for sure what exactly.
post #7340 of 7552 Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
There was some change earlier this year that boosted KERA's signal reading at several locations across the metroplex. It forced them to be off the air for a few hours, so it could have been the new antenna, and/or a change to their mask filter, and/or something else. I have no way of knowing for sure what exactly.
On my Sencore analyzer, the raw power did not change one bit. Only the MER value increased and the BER went down to the lowest reading possible.
post #7341 of 7552 Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_nelson View Post
On my Sencore analyzer, the raw power did not change one bit. Only the MER value increased and the BER went down to the lowest reading possible.

Possibly a software upgrade to their encoder....
post #7342 of 7552 Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Didn't KERA 13 have a sideband filter or somesuch to prevent adjacent interference to radio communication, which was effecting KERA's received signal quality?
post #7343 of 7552 Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Didn't KERA 13 have a sideband filter or somesuch to prevent adjacent interference to radio communication, which was effecting KERA's received signal quality?
There's an interesting document here about the challenges of RF-14:

http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/vi...?id=6511355688

...and KHNE did end up on RF-28 rather than 14.
post #7344 of 7552 Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Only a half-mil $$ for a filter! Makes one wonder why they just didn't exclude RF14 from TV.
Didn't KERA originally want to stay on RF13 and the FCC nixed that?
post #7345 of 7552 Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

My understanding is that the only stations denied the choice of going back to their analog assignment after the transition were those above RF 51, so I believe KERA could have gone back to RF 13. Not sure why they didn't, but KTVT tried to go back to RF 11 and many folks couldn't receive their post-transition signal. They had to scramble back to their UHF assignment on RF 19.

There's also the challenge of KAKW, which ended up on RF 13 and could have put KERA in a situation similar to KFWD on RF 9, which often gets swamped by tropo from KCEN. Besides, KERA had to operate on RF 14 until the transition anyway. So despite the high cost of an RF 14 filter, perhaps KERA still made the right choice.
post #7346 of 7552 Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KERA did initially request 13, but it conflicted with KXII and (I think) KAKW, and they opted to keep channel 14. I suspect after the transition and observing the KTVT problems, they breathed a sigh of relief.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7347 of 7552 Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 11
Oh wonderful. Saturday morning Get.TV has been ruined with worthless E/I trash until noon. Thanks so much again FCC and Congress for your stupid rules destroying Saturday morning TV over the past 20 years and foisting boring low-budget garbage nobody wants to watch on broadcast channels.
post #7348 of 7552 Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradskey View Post
Oh wonderful. Saturday morning Get.TV has been ruined with worthless E/I trash until noon. Thanks so much again FCC and Congress for your stupid rules destroying Saturday morning TV over the past 20 years and foisting boring low-budget garbage nobody wants to watch on broadcast channels.
Huh? Today is Friday, not Saturday, and GetTV always has 3 hours of E/I programming on Fridays only. All day on Saturday, westerns are shown on GetTV. MOVIES! has their E/I on Saturdays, and This has their E/I on Sundays. That way, OTA movie watchers can still get their flix fix every day of the week! (Just see what's on the other two of the "Big 3 Movie Networks" if you see some E/I.)

Also, I heard on the two radio forums (Radio Insight and Radio Discussions) that Escape and Grit will commence operations on August 18th! Check the two Univisions (KUVN and KSTR) to see if any new subs will show up in the coming weeks! (I know MOVIES! began their satellite feed with a preview reel for two weeks before the grand opening.)

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

dtv_junkie87
post #7349 of 7552 Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 11
Doh! Glad to be wrong though, must have been up too late last night. Brain not working. I still hate E/I.

Cool on Grit!
post #7350 of 7552 Old 07-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Liked: 0
I get every relevant station from my TVFool report except NBC 5.1 KXAS. It has almost identical signal, direction, distance, etc as KERA, KDFW (Fox), and several others that all come in crystal clear. Thoughts?

Using a roof mounted CM2016 at about 27'.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception