Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #7351 of 7362 Old 07-05-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Are we supposed to just guess as to what your TVFool looks like?

In any event, move the antenna. It's in a "dead" spot for that station. It might only take 6-12", it might take 6-12 feet or yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7362 Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry, here it is. I assume what you say about a nebulous dead spot still applies. I would really really prefer to not move it. Just tried up and down by a few feet total and couldn't pick up NBC. There is a tree close by that I'll try pruning tomorrow, but it just seems strange that all these other similar channels come in so well.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e1c6e564b6f2f0
post #7353 of 7362 Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You may need to move the position of the antenna and mast a few feet in some direction to get rid of multipath distortion or other interference. Not so easy I know, being mounted on your roof. I have an antenna on a tripod in the attic. Reception is very sensitive to positioning and finding that sweet spot on some channels. My roof antenna suffers from bad multipath on some channels so it goes unused. The one in the attic I can move around works much better.
post #7354 of 7362 Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Liked: 0
Well, I moved the antenna over about 18 inches and pruned the tree closest to it pretty well with my pole saw. I now get NBC! 5-1 and also 5-2. However these channels both cut out some and none of the others do, particularly on my Samsung which has a much longer cable run than the Vizio. The picture is either perfect or cutting out. No snow or ghosting or whatever. Any advice on improving this without moving the antenna?
post #7355 of 7362 Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Remove the rest of the tree.

You could try a larger, more directional antenna but, since you already know you have a loction issue, it's going to be an experiment.
post #7356 of 7362 Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
Well, I moved the antenna over about 18 inches and pruned the tree closest to it pretty well with my pole saw. I now get NBC! 5-1 and also 5-2. However these channels both cut out some ... Any advice on improving this without moving the antenna?
You are getting there, just need to move it, raise it, lower it, more until you find the right spot.
hubcityraider likes this.
post #7357 of 7362 Old 07-09-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcityraider View Post
Well, I moved the antenna over about 18 inches and pruned the tree closest to it pretty well with my pole saw. I now get NBC! 5-1 and also 5-2. However these channels both cut out some and none of the others do, particularly on my Samsung which has a much longer cable run than the Vizio. The picture is either perfect or cutting out. No snow or ghosting or whatever. Any advice on improving this without moving the antenna?
That part implies you might also benefit from a low-noise preamp such as Winegard's Boost amp. The KXAS signal is there now, but weak, and running it through a long cable weakens it more. If you amplify it before you split it, you'll probably see better results.

BTW you will never see snow or ghosting on digital TV. If the signal is weak you'll get audio cutting-out as you're hearing now and freezing and/or macro-block errors (parts of the image that are obviously wrong) on video.
hubcityraider likes this.
post #7358 of 7362 Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Didn't KERA 13 have a sideband filter or somesuch to prevent adjacent interference to radio communication, which was effecting KERA's received signal quality?
Whatever they're doing, they apparently did it some more. KERA's signal reading jumped from the high 70's to the high 80's on my Philco a couple of days ago. Haven't checked the readings on the Pals yet.

KLEG/44's signal readings also jumped dramatically a couple of weeks ago. (Too bad they don't broadcast anything I'm interested in.) Is a new, improved generation of mask filters starting to get installed?
post #7359 of 7362 Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

A picture resolution observation: Watching the Prez giving a little speech now, on all the local channels and Fox-CNN etc. Noticing his pinstriped shirt. On Ch 8 and 4 you'd never know that was a pinstriped shirt, just a blur. Ch 11 it is sharply defined and clear. Ch 5 the pinstripes are there just not as sharp. Fox News and CNN via Dish Network show the pinstripes, similar to Ch 5, visible, just not as sharp as Ch 11.
post #7360 of 7362 Old Yesterday, 04:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
A picture resolution observation: Watching the Prez giving a little speech now, on all the local channels and Fox-CNN etc. Noticing his pinstriped shirt. On Ch 8 and 4 you'd never know that was a pinstriped shirt, just a blur. Ch 11 it is sharply defined and clear. Ch 5 the pinstripes are there just not as sharp. Fox News and CNN via Dish Network show the pinstripes, similar to Ch 5, visible, just not as sharp as Ch 11.
The benefits of being able to dedicate all of your channel bandwidth to a single, 1080i stream
post #7361 of 7362 Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlnOTA View Post
The benefits of being able to dedicate all of your channel bandwidth to a single, 1080i stream
I looked for that so see if there was any correlation. Ch 4, no sub-channels, was fuzzy, no stripes visible like Ch 8 with 2 sub-channels. Ch 5 was almost as clearly defined as Ch 11, and 5 runs COZI 5.2.
post #7362 of 7362 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I looked for that so see if there was any correlation. Ch 4, no sub-channels, was fuzzy, no stripes visible like Ch 8 with 2 sub-channels. Ch 5 was almost as clearly defined as Ch 11, and 5 runs COZI 5.2.
Ch 4 is 720p at 14 mbps. Ch 11 is 1080i at 18.15 mbps. That's probably it. (Ch 8 upscales ABC to 1080i, Ch 5 uses a statmux.)

I also read somewhere that the CBS network feed uses more efficient encoders.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page