Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #7471 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 167
By the way, try to avoid the "amplified" version of the Terk antenna (the HDTVa), for a few reasons:
  • At your location, an amplifier may make some signals too strong, overloading your TV and making reception worse instead of better.
  • Built-in antenna amplifiers usually don't help because most of them have noise levels as high as or higher than a typical TV tuner.
  • If the amplifier fails, you have to replace the whole antenna.

There are a few cases when an amplifier might help though:
  • If you're splitting the signal from the antenna to feed multiple TVs.
  • If you have a high-quality amp with a better noise level than your TV(s).
  • If there's a very long run of cable (over 50 feet) between the antenna and the TV(s).

Even in those cases though, I'd recommend a separate amp instead of an amplified antenna. You can usually get a better amp that way, and if the amp doesn't help or goes out, you can remove or replace it and still use the antenna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
By the way, try to avoid the "amplified" version of the Terk antenna (the HDTVa), for a few reasons:
  • At your location, an amplifier may make some signals too strong, overloading your TV and making reception worse instead of better.
  • Built-in antenna amplifiers usually don't help because most of them have noise levels as high as or higher than a typical TV tuner.
  • If the amplifier fails, you have to replace the whole antenna.

There are a few cases when an amplifier might help though:
  • If you're splitting the signal from the antenna to feed multiple TVs.
  • If you have a high-quality amp with a better noise level than your TV(s).
  • If there's a very long run of cable (over 50 feet) between the antenna and the TV(s).

Even in those cases though, I'd recommend a separate amp instead of an amplified antenna. You can usually get a better amp that way, and if the amp doesn't help or goes out, you can remove or replace it and still use the antenna.
I am so excited to get 71 channels with the new Terk antenna. This is crazy!!!
JHBrandt likes this.
post #7473 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great info...thanks. Just moved downtown Dallas and will def use this information.

Sorry for the dry response. This is part of my needed "5 or more" posts to insert image in a post. #silly .

Quote:
To be able to post links or images your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 4 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.
post #7474 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcheng0620 View Post
I am so excited to get 71 channels with the new Terk antenna. This is crazy!!!
I scanned channels yesterday while setting up a DTVPal and got 96. (Would've gotten 102 but I don't get channel 51 where my antenna is pointed right now.) And there are even a couple dozen or so good ones

If you're in the north part of the Metroplex you might also get KXII's 3 channels for a total of 105
post #7475 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A quick question, does anyone set up a whole house OTA signal Distribution?

I want to distribute the signal to different bedrooms and living room without disturb my internet connection. what material I need to prepare it ? Can I pay money to the TWC guy to help me set it up ,because he will come to my house on October 1st to help me set up the internet connection from Time Warner..... so maybe he can do this easily ? anyone has the experiences on it ?
post #7476 of 7478 Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing your Internet cabling is all Cat5 (or Cat6 or whatever Cat) cable. Unfortunately, you need coax cable instead for signal distribution, unless you use a "trick."

I'll describe the "trick" first in case it appeals to you. It's simple: buy an HDHomeRun (or two or three; you can start with one and add more later as needed) and hook it/them to your in-home network. Then split your antenna signal and feed the HDHomeRuns.

The problem with this trick is that you need either DLNA-compatible TVs, PCs, or PC "extenders" to stream video from the HDHomeRun(s) to your TVs over your network. (If you use Windows Media Center on your PC, you can use cheap XBox 360's as extenders for it.)

But if that's not for you, you'll need to run coax cable from an antenna to a splitter and from the splitter to each TV. It will be a completely separate cabling system from your network cabling, but you can run the cable through the same drops in your home and put in dual coax/Cat5 face-plates if your TVs are where your Cat5 cable outlets are.

TWC won't help you set up an OTA system, but you might be able to convince TWC employees or ex-employees to help you on their own time. Or you could "cheat:" subscribe to TWC just to get them to install cable, then after a month or two, cancel cable, disconnect their cable feed (they might do this themselves, but just in case) and connect it to an antenna instead.

One more thing: if you have more than, say, two TVs, you may need to put an amplifier between your antenna and the splitter to keep the signals from getting too weak. I usually recommend the Winegard Boost! amp if you need one.
post #7477 of 7478 Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder when KSTR/49 is going to get their PSIP guide info fixed? For the last several days every show has just been titled "Regularly Scheduled Programming," which is completely useless.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page