Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #7501 of 7511 Old 10-10-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 173
It was my eyeballs Well, actually WMC's search function. Didn't find "Baylor" even though it's right there in the title.

Apparently a title search only searches the words "College Football" A keyword search finds "Baylor" though. Next time I'll know better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7502 of 7511 Old 10-11-2014, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post
Anyone if channel 8.3 will be showing any college football games this Saturday? I appreciate the tip from the one who mentioned about Florida State being on last Saturday. I don't have cable or satellite and was hoping they pick up the Baylor-TCU game.
Hi,

The Baylor-TCU game will be on WFAA 8-1 in HD immediately following the Red River Rivalry at 2:30 P.M.

Yes, there have been some cases where an out-of-market game is shown on a WFAA subchannel (8-2 or 8-3). Such games are shown on ABC in, say, 10 or so states, and the rest on the ESPN3 website. [Usually the ESPN3.com games are second-rate conference match ups.] Sometimes a major matchup will end up on ESPN3.com due to a regional demand, hence the limited ABC exposure, or oddball scheduling on ESPN 1 and 2. BTW, ESPN3 is not to be confused with the Watch ESPN service, where you use your cable/satellite account info to watch ESPN simulcasts online, on mobile, etc.)

Otherwise, the out-of-market game (another major matchup) will air on ESPN2. In this case, today's Purdue-Michigan State game can only be seen on cable/satellite in this area.

Hope this helps!

dtv_junkie87

Last edited by dtv_junkie87; 10-11-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Two minor fixes
post #7503 of 7511 Old 10-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtv_junkie87 View Post
Hi,

The Baylor-TCU game will be on WFAA 8-1 in HD immediately following the Red River Rivalry at 2:30 P.M.

Yes, there have been some cases where an out-of-market game is shown on a WFAA subchannel (8-2 or 8-3). Such games are shown on ABC in, say, 10 or so states, and the rest on the ESPN3 website. [Usually the ESPN3.com games are second-rate conference match ups.] Sometimes a major matchup will end up on ESPN3.com due to a regional demand, hence the limited ABC exposure, or oddball scheduling on ESPN 1 and 2. BTW, ESPN3 is not to be confused with the Watch ESPN service, where you use your cable/satellite account info to watch ESPN simulcasts online, on mobile, etc.)

Otherwise, the out-of-market game (another major matchup) will air on ESPN2. In this case, today's Purdue-Michigan State game can only be seen on cable/satellite in this area.

Hope this helps!

dtv_junkie87
Thanks so much for the information. Earlier in the week, the ESPN app on my phone was indicating that it was going to be on ESPN2 but I am glad that it will now be on a local channel. I may have to break down and get ATT Uverse or something because I know that some of Baylor's games for the rest of the season will be probably be on cable. Thanks again.

Matt
post #7504 of 7511 Old 10-11-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
FCC issues 3rd NPRM on LPTV/translator digital move

Read the joke at the FCC web site and get your comments in ASAP!

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...C-14-151A1.pdf
JHBrandt likes this.
post #7505 of 7511 Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
OK, FM radio is a new angle. You're right: the HBU-33 and similar antennas won't work very well for FM. The FM band (88-108 MHz) is right next to the VHF-Lo band (54-88 MHz), so you'd need an all-band antenna.

From your earlier posts I think your current antenna is probably a CM-3016, or one very much like it. Among all-band antennas, the next step up would be one like the CM-3018 or the HD850 you found. The CM-3018 is longer (113") but narrower (95") than the HB850, so if either of those two will fit, that's what I'd recommend.

If they're both too big, you might consider going with two separate antennas instead. If you go this route, I think the HBU-33 would be a good choice for the TV antenna and should do fine with WFAA.

Although many FM stations broadcast from Cedar Hill as TV stations do, there are a few other FM stations scattered around the metroplex, so you may be better off with an omnidirectional FM antenna, like AntennaCraft's FMSS. It's small, cheap, and should fit easily in your attic.
Since I wasn't able to find a newer model antenna locally that would fit my situation, I decided to see if adjusting the old one would help. I was able to raise it up 12 inches higher in the attic, and lo and behold, it increased the signal by 20 points on channel 8. All the rest of the channel signals increased as well, except for 33. It went down a couple, but still locks in fine. Still not sure what changed to cause the decrease in the first place, but I seem to be good for now.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
post #7506 of 7511 Old 10-13-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it. Adjusting an antenna can sometimes help in surprising ways. Bedeviled by neighborhood trees, I had to lower mine and point it off-axis somewhat to get a better signal on K31GL without making any other stations unreliable on windy days. It doesn't make any sense, but it works somehow.
post #7507 of 7511 Old 10-14-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
It doesn't make any sense, but it works somehow.
It makes perfect sense if you consider that the direct signal path is blocked or obstructed.
post #7508 of 7511 Old 10-14-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

But it's not! Raising my antenna doesn't put it in front of any clear obstruction. There are trees in the way at every reasonable height.

I'm guessing that what makes it to my antenna is a complex mishmash of direct & reflected signals that interfere destructively at some frequencies, and that lowering the antenna blocked some unwanted reflections from below - thus the improvement. But that's only a guess. I certainly wouldn't have expected it beforehand.

Point is, when aiming an antenna, sometimes you get lucky with things that seem illogical. I wouldn't have thought raising rah2153's antenna one-fifth of a wavelength would have an appreciable effect either, but it did!
post #7509 of 7511 Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I learned the hard way that placement in what should logically be good spot doesn't necessarily work. Example is the antenna and tripod I bought in 2007, bolted it to the roof in a nice clear location. Turned out to be probably the worst location for multipath. Prior to 2009 when I could see the effects of multipath on the analog broadcasts, almost all were distorted and unwatchable, and digital didn't work either. Then I stuck an old RadioShack antenna my neighbor threw away in the attic out in the detached garage about 50 ft behind the house, just to have a TV out there, and lo and behold all channels came in with just a little bit if tweaking the position for K31GL and a few others to get pretty much all that are on the air. Ran a cable underground to the house, and that's the antenna in use today. Roof antenna serves as a bird perch.
post #7510 of 7511 Old 10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting both KLTV and KXII via tropo at the moment
post #7511 of 7511 Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Attention all! We might be getting a KTVT 11-2 between the months of April to June, 2015! CBS and Weigel are developing a classic TV/classic news channel called "Decades." Wonder what impact this will have on MeTV TXA 21-2, if any?

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/8...ecades-diginet

In other news, WFAA won the rights to this Monday Night's Cowboys-Redskins game, per TitanTV! Just like in the old ABC Monday Night Football days, a Dale Hansen Sports Special will preempt 6:30 programming; game should start around 7:30. Boy, what a Monday Night reunion that will be! (Yes, the quality of MNF has tanked dramatically since they moved to ESPN, but should be fun to revisit nevertheless, especially a top-notch matchup like this one.)

dtv_junkie87
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page