Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 255 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #7621 of 7631 Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulling in K31GL fine here in Plano. Same signal as usual, give or take a few percent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7622 of 7631 Old 01-20-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Whatever it was, K31GL seems to be straightened out and working OK now.

Although I'll repeat this once again, in case anyone reading is in a position to do something about it: with all the simulcasts among channels 26, 28, 31, and 50, why can't we get a simulcast of Retro TV on another station so we have a backup when things like this happen?

Whoops-by the way, I just checked 26.2 and Soul of the South is off the air, replaced by color bars! What up?
post #7623 of 7631 Old 01-21-2015, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Whatever it was, K31GL seems to be straightened out and working OK now.

Although I'll repeat this once again, in case anyone reading is in a position to do something about it: with all the simulcasts among channels 26, 28, 31, and 50, why can't we get a simulcast of Retro TV on another station so we have a backup when things like this happen?

Whoops-by the way, I just checked 26.2 and Soul of the South is off the air, replaced by color bars! What up?
Update: Yes K31GL finaly came back for me last night. But I had to do a scan about 3 times before I was able to grab it. Thanks to all that replied to my original post!
post #7624 of 7631 Old 01-29-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi Gents,

New to the forum read some great reviews. I need some help with antenna recommendation or suggestions to receive channels from the DFW Cedar Hill antenna farm. Open to any combination, single, yagi, bowtie, large, or small antennas. I plan on mounting the antenna(s) outdoors. Coaxial cable length will be approximately 75 - 100ft long.

Attached is my TVFool report.

Thank You for your assistance and any response.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	23
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	511353  
post #7625 of 7631 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
At a distance of 80-90 miles or so, you are likely going to have problems with any big antenna. Maybe nukeboy has a suggestion, since he's in Decatur. I was going to suggest Antennacraft's biggest longest range HD1850, but on UHF doubt that would even do it.
post #7626 of 7631 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a little over 60 miles to Cedar Hill from my house in Anna Tx, I get all the channels fine with a Winegard Hd7698p and a Boost xt preamp.

Do you have any kind of antenna now?

Might try a similar antenna with a channel master cm777, but you are 5 to 10 miles farther out than me.

--- I take it back, I pulled the Tv fool report for my house and the DFW broadcasts are alot higher levels at my house than yours are. Distance is similar but all my stations are LOS.

Last edited by bglf83; Yesterday at 03:07 PM.
post #7627 of 7631 Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieYagi View Post
Hi Gents,

New to the forum read some great reviews. I need some help with antenna recommendation or suggestions to receive channels from the DFW Cedar Hill antenna farm. Open to any combination, single, yagi, bowtie, large, or small antennas. I plan on mounting the antenna(s) outdoors. Coaxial cable length will be approximately 75 - 100ft long.
For CBS and NBC, it looks like you'll have better luck aiming for Wichita Falls. Do you specifically want stations from DFW?
post #7628 of 7631 Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I see; Alvord is about halfway between Cedar Hill and Wichita Falls. There are more stations in the DFW direction, but it's going to take a big antenna. Does CM still sell the CM3671? It's huge and expensive but probably your best bet. Winegard's HD7698 might also do it, but not with as much margin of error.

Might see if you can get higher than 25 feet too.

BTW, it looks like @bglf83 's spell checker mangled "Winegard"
post #7629 of 7631 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@ed-in-tx.

I was thinking to aim for the Cedar Hillsantenna farm at about 61-70 miles. Ilike the recommendation of biggest and longest Antennacraft’s HD1850. Thanks

@ Bglf83.
Glad you gave me a distance point ofreference and type of antenna – Winegard HD7698P and preamp. Good to hear you receive all channels.

Yes, aCM-4228HD (8 Bay) However, just arrived and I think it was dead onarrival. It looks like it could havebeen a used or return item – box arrived open, holes in it, bent top deflector,missing 2 hardware bolts, and partially assembled. I tried to scan for channels on two differentTV tuners, with 4 different length coax cables and received zero channels. Maybe I should have received something. I don’t know the condition of thisantenna. The balun could be defective?

Good point, our distance is about the same,but I may not be line of sight as you are.

@crackedscreen
I would prefer the DFW channels overWichita; more channels and a little closer.

@JHBrandt.
Good question about the CM3671Crossfire and yes its huge. Did somesearch’n and they might have it.

Gents, givenyour response, experience, and recommendations; did some searching of them and belowis list of 4 Gi-Normous Huge antennas with some specifications. What doyou think about them? Do I need or can I receive VHF -Lo? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks

Channel Master 3671 Crossfire
Receptionrange:
61 Active Elements
UHF - 60Mile, VHF/FM - 100 Miles ,
Dimensions: 173” Boom x 110 x 35.4 in.
Weight: 17 lbs

Winegard HD8200U Platinum
69 ActiveElements: 34 VHF & 35UHF
UHF – 60+miles; VHF – 100 miles
Gain - 14. 2dBi
•Gain:Average: 2-6 ch: 5.9dB / 7-13 ch: 11.5dB / 14-69 ch: 13.3dB
Dimensions –168.25” Boom x 110”Wide X 33” Height
Weight: 16 lbs

Winegard HD7698P

Active Elements: 64
•Less Windloading
•EstimatedRange: 70 miles VHF & 60 miles UHF
•*Note: Thisantenna can receive stations 2-6 in most areas due to the fact they aregenerally broadcast on higher unused UHF or VHF frequency numbers in the area.Our techs can verify this with your zip code information
•UHFElements: 35
•VHFElements: 29
•BoomLength: 168.25"
•MaximumWidth: 53.5"
•VerticalHeight: 33"

AntennaCraft HD1850
•ExtremeDeep Fringe UHF/VHF/FM TV Antenna
•84 ActiveElectronic Elements
•180"Boom Length
•Max Width:112"
•VerticalHeight: 38"
•TurningRadius: 102"
•UHF Range:60+ Miles (Ch. 14 - 69)
•VHF LowRange: 100+ Miles (Ch. 2 - 6)
•VHF HighRange: 100+ Miles (Ch. 7 - 13)
post #7630 of 7631 Unread Today, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieYagi View Post
@ed-in-tx.

I was thinking to aim for the Cedar Hillsantenna farm at about 61-70 miles. Ilike the recommendation of biggest and longest Antennacraft’s HD1850. Thanks

If that's the distance probably any of the above would work. I had Google Maps using their scale, measuring the distance between Alvord and Cedar Hill. Looked more like 80-90 miles. Height is what you need. You know what the elevation above sea level is there at your location?

I had better luck with Antennacraft's UHF design, a folded dipole driven element that I think their big daddy antenna has too, hard to see in the pics online. Vs. a new Winegard I bought to replace it, of similar specs and size, which had a good 10-15 count less signal received than the old Antennacraft which was simply outperforming the Winegard. So out with the new, in with the old! I'm about 26-27 miles from Cedar Hill and I have lots of ground clutter between here and there.
post #7631 of 7631 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the Antennacraft is in a league of its own. 84 active elements?!? Also the longest at 15 feet

The Winegard HD7698P is narrower due to the lack of VHF-Lo elements. Cedar Hill doesn't have any VHF-Lo TV stations, so it would probably work OK for now; but that may change after 2016 when the FCC is expected to chop another 17 UHF channels or so off the TV band. (VHF-Lo may be the only place left for LPTV.) You may also want an antenna with VHF-Lo elements for FM radio.

Make sure you get a good low-noise preamp too. I've had good luck with a Winegard Boost! preamp, but at your distance you may do better with a Kitztech KT-200 (although that's not built for outdoors).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page