Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 256 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
post #7651 of 7671 Unread 02-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a noob to cord cutting (like so many others) and currently reside in the Sachse region of DFW. Here's my TV Fool link to show the direction of the antennas. I'm planning to mount this above my 2nd story in the attic. I think this would suffice since the signal is pretty strong and all in one direction. I feel like the AntennaCraft HBU33 would be the best option, however it doesn't pick up the low VHF signals. As others have said, I'm concerned that someday DFW may move into that zone. Is it possible to buy an addon antenna at that time if it did happen? Any other antenna's you would recommend?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...f1f01e4869c97a

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 7671 Unread 02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 65
As I recall from an email with an engineer a couple of years ago, Retro supplies its receiving equipment to the station operator.
post #7653 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phiz118 View Post
I feel like the AntennaCraft HBU33 would be the best option, however it doesn't pick up the low VHF signals. As others have said, I'm concerned that someday DFW may move into that zone. Is it possible to buy an addon antenna at that time if it did happen? Any other antenna's you would recommend?

David
One could always add a low VHF only antenna below the present installation with a high/low signal joiner (HLSJ) if the situation arose.http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=Y5-2-6&ss=466698 If there is a mass exodus to the low band I suspect more such devices would become available. You already have signals on channels 2, 4 and 5. They appear to all be Spanish Religion or infomercials if that is any interest to you. It will at least be interesting to see if you can pull them in from a technical standpoint.
post #7654 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeboy67 View Post
Might I throw in a suggestion? I live in Decatur and I use a CM-3020 Deep Fringe and it is a very reliable antenna sitting at 30 ft. AGL. I pick up nearly all of the Cedar Hill stations and a couple of the Wichita Falls stations as well. It may not be the prettiest in the world, but it gets the job done, especially if you get a rotator to boot. http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master.../dp/B000BSGCSA
I was looking at that one on Amazon. It has a folded dipole UHF driven element too, like the AntennaCraft designs. In another post I mentioned comparing the AntennaCraft to a Winegard of similar physical size that had a simple dipole driven element, the folded dipole worked a lot better. Maybe because of more capture area, and wider bandwidth of a folded dipole? Not sure. But I found it interesting CM has a similar design on their biggie. And we know it works from Decatur!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChMaster3020-uhf.driven.ele.2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	565041  
post #7655 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Fisher View Post
Well here we go again! KGL31 Retro TV is once again off the air all day today. No more Doctor Who or The Doctors reruns for me today. This station must be run by kindergartners, I rarely ever get a full week the picture and sound is on 31.4 is stable. It's not my antenna, there is a signal and a station called Retro, but no picture or sound. Is it so difficult for them to pick up the Retro Feed without issues? Probably won't do any good but I emailed Mako Communications (the parent owners of KGL31) ) today to complain about it.
I think the problem is that there are two different groups involved. Mako owns and operates the TV transmitter, but they sell all the bandwidth to other companies, who provide content. With Retro, I think the content provider is the same group that does Hot TV (31.4 and Hot use similar logos); the difference is, with Hot TV they're broadcasting their own content, whereas with Retro they're receiving the content via satellite and sending it to K31GL.

I agree with Ed, this time it's most likely ice on the dish pointed at Retro's satellite. That would only affect 31.4, not any other subchannel on K31GL or any of Mako's other stations.
post #7656 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiz118 View Post
I'm a noob to cord cutting (like so many others) and currently reside in the Sachse region of DFW. Here's my TV Fool link to show the direction of the antennas. I'm planning to mount this above my 2nd story in the attic. I think this would suffice since the signal is pretty strong and all in one direction. I feel like the AntennaCraft HBU33 would be the best option, however it doesn't pick up the low VHF signals. As others have said, I'm concerned that someday DFW may move into that zone. Is it possible to buy an addon antenna at that time if it did happen? Any other antenna's you would recommend?

David
Looks like you may be a bit too far out for an HBU33. I'd recommend at least an HBU44 or, if you're concerned about stations moving to VHF-Lo, I'd second Nukeboy's suggestion and go with a CM-3020. They've gotten a bit pricey at Fry's but I've had pretty good luck with mine.
post #7657 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Looks like you may be a bit too far out for an HBU33. I'd recommend at least an HBU44 or, if you're concerned about stations moving to VHF-Lo, I'd second Nukeboy's suggestion and go with a CM-3020. They've gotten a bit pricey at Fry's but I've had pretty good luck with mine.
The Antennacraft antennas are on clearance sale at various Radioshack stores that are closing down. Very good prices. Including HBU33, HBU55, and C490. The C490 would be similar to the CM-3020.
49Merc and JHBrandt like this.
post #7658 of 7671 Unread 02-24-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm pretty far out for some of the "junk" stations (red and grey), but all of the premier stations are in green/yellow. If I didn't pick up any of the red/grey stations, then I'm really not that worried. With that, I'm still thinking the HBU33 or HD850 would be good. I just can't put a 13 foot antenna in my attic (or on my roof for that matter). I think the 7 ft HBU33 is pushing my limits already. Thoughts? I do like the idea of grabbing one from radio shack if the deal is right. Their online prices aren't very good, but I may drop by to see if they have better in store prices.
post #7659 of 7671 Unread 02-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I think the problem is that there are two different groups involved. Mako owns and operates the TV transmitter, but they sell all the bandwidth to other companies, who provide content. With Retro, I think the content provider is the same group that does Hot TV (31.4 and Hot use similar logos); the difference is, with Hot TV they're broadcasting their own content, whereas with Retro they're receiving the content via satellite and sending it to K31GL.

I agree with Ed, this time it's most likely ice on the dish pointed at Retro's satellite. That would only affect 31.4, not any other subchannel on K31GL or any of Mako's other stations.
Well over 4 days now and no REtro TV on KGL-31.4. It sounds like more than just ice on the dish. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting on new equipment from the Retro folks. Even before the ice hit on Monday the picture on Retro was freezing from time to time. It must have been going out for quite a while. I hope they get it back up soon so I can get my shows... Too bad they don't have an alternate way of pulling in the station as a temp back up till the problem is fixed. Also it would be nice if they would flash on the screen from time to time that Retro will be back after technical issues are resolved. Any kind of update. That's asking too much I guess.
post #7660 of 7671 Unread 02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... it would be nice if they would flash on the screen from time to time that Retro will be back after technical issues are resolved. Any kind of update. That's asking too much I guess.
Looks like your request was granted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k31gl-4msg.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	570937  
post #7661 of 7671 Unread 02-26-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Looks like your request was granted.
Yes foot in mouth disease! Right after I posted it about 10 min later I turned the station on and saw the message. Ha!
post #7662 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Bummer. The weather is supposed to be bad until Saturday evening and I doubt anyone's willing to work on the equipment Sunday, so it probably won't be fixed until Monday at the earliest. Looks like I'll miss my Saturday morning cartoons this week (still a kid at heart)
post #7663 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Bummer. The weather is supposed to be bad until Saturday evening and I doubt anyone's willing to work on the equipment Sunday, so it probably won't be fixed until Monday at the earliest. Looks like I'll miss my Saturday morning cartoons this week (still a kid at heart)
Well from reading the messages here, it sounds like they had the same issue last summer, and they were off the air for over 8 days. So if they are waiting to get equipment from the REtro folks, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come back till late next week---if at all that soon. This weather lately has been just crazy!
post #7664 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 06:49 PM

Once again I speak before looking. Retro TV is back online it seems! Yay! Got Doctor Who running right now. So JHBrandt you can for sure check out those cartoons tomorrow morning. I am amazed it came back up on today of all days, which was non stop snow in North Texas. At least where I live it was non stop.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #7665 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-M...3020/203763044
Quote:
post #7666 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Home Depot sells the 3020? Looks like it's the same price as at Fry's

I got mine at Fry's about 3-4 years ago, but it only set me back $79.99. That's a 50% increase and I know inflation hasn't been that much! Maybe they had it on sale and I didn't even notice....
post #7667 of 7671 Unread 02-27-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Recently moved a very good 1981 Sony analog TV into a second floor guest bedroom. Since it will rarely be used I plan to bring in stations with a set top antenna. Our hilltop home in DeSoto is in line of sight of the antenna farms in Cedar. I'll be reporting back with the initial results.

Oh, almost forgot. Please recommend a set top antenna suitable for my application.

Thanks in advance.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912,
DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr,
Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20,
Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c
Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Monoprice Cables, Harmony One Remote
post #7668 of 7671 Unread 02-28-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Since you're on the second floor in DeSoto, I'd think a simple rabbit ears+UHF loop combo antenna should work fine.

You'll need a converter box too. If you don't already have one, I'd recommend the Homeworx HW-180, which can serve as a simple DVR and media player also.
49Merc likes this.
post #7669 of 7671 Unread 02-28-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once again I speak before looking. Retro TV is back online it seems! Yay! Got Doctor Who running right now. So JHBrandt you can for sure check out those cartoons tomorrow morning. I am amazed it came back up on today of all days, which was non stop snow in North Texas. At least where I live it was non stop.
Unfortunately it looks like their satellite feed died again around 9:30. But I did get to watch He-Man before that happened
post #7670 of 7671 Unread Today, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately it looks like their satellite feed died again around 9:30. But I did get to watch He-Man before that happened
This station is an absolute enigma! Someone sneezes in the wrong direction and the picture goes out. There has to be something else other than "weather" affecting their equipment. according to what they are saying. No other station has issues with satellite reception during the weather conditions here in Dallas, which really are not that horrible. I wish Time Warner would pick Retro up so I don't have to deal with these guys at KGL31. Absolutely beyond frustrating!
post #7671 of 7671 Unread Today, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Mako Communications is the owner. They pick up RTV and Rev'n by KU Band which is susceptible to rain (weather) issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception