Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 257 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
TWC for the suburbs, is transmitting a few cable channels unscrambled in HD (Discovery, CNN, TWC, HIS, USA, CARTOON NETWORK, H&G, FOOD), as well as the local channels in HD.

They are also transmitting some 'cable' digital channels unscrambled, including Daystar and TBN. The bulk of the channels received are analog. Included in those analog channels that are received with the C-QAM tuner are the 3 C-SPAN networks.

The rest of the channels, of whatever type, are scrambled.

Receiving using the Clear-QAM tuner, which displays both digital and analog channels.

I still use a Zenith DTT900 with the flatscreen, because the tuner does not allow for processing both 'cable' and OTA signals with it's Clear-QAM tuner.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
TWC for the suburbs, is transmitting a few cable channels unscrambled in HD (Discovery, CNN, TWC, HIS, USA, CARTOON NETWORK, H&G, FOOD), as well as the local channels in HD.

They are also transmitting some 'cable' digital channels unscrambled, including Daystar and TBN. The bulk of the channels received are analog. Included in those analog channels that are received with the C-QAM tuner are the 3 C-SPAN networks.

The rest of the channels, of whatever type, are scrambled.

Receiving using the Clear-QAM tuner, which displays both digital and analog channels.

I still use a Zenith DTT900 with the flatscreen, because the tuner does not allow for processing both 'cable' and OTA signals with it's Clear-QAM tuner.
TWC sent out a letter about 2 weeks ago saying they'll be all digital by April 15th. Currently the standard def analog channels through 99 are still being sent. Yes a few C-QAM are also sent. By 15 Apr all analog will stop and it is unknown whether the C-QAM will stop. They haven't said. They imply that C-QAM will stop also because the letter says that you'll only be able to get a TV feed by way of STB, Digital Adapter or Cablecard from them. That to me sounds like no clear QAM. I have cablecard so no net change for me. Anyone with analog only will need to get one of the 3 above. I have some C-QAM cards and a TV that has C-QAM, I'll probably run a scan after 15 Apr to see what I get. I'll post back on results after then.

EZed
Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post
TWC sent out a letter about 2 weeks ago saying they'll be all digital by April 15th. Currently the standard def analog channels through 99 are still being sent. Yes a few C-QAM are also sent. By 15 Apr all analog will stop and it is unknown whether the C-QAM will stop. They haven't said. They imply that C-QAM will stop also because the letter says that you'll only be able to get a TV feed by way of STB, Digital Adapter or Cablecard from them. That to me sounds like no clear QAM. I have cablecard so no net change for me. Anyone with analog only will need to get one of the 3 above. I have some C-QAM cards and a TV that has C-QAM, I'll probably run a scan after 15 Apr to see what I get. I'll post back on results after then.
Thank you. I re-posted this on the iView thread to let her know.

When 4/15 arrives, please post your findings on the Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled? thread too, especially if clear QAM is all gone.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post
hmm the letter I got said April 7th was the start of analog removal and that May 26th is the day everything becomes encrypted.

Did TWC push it back a week?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kinda late, but I thought I'd chime in as well.

I had TWC TV+Internet in the Richardson area a couple of years ago. On top of the standard, encrypted, box-required digital channels, I also received Discovery and the locals in Clear QAM HD, and most of the other basic channels in NTSC analog.

Currently have FIOS Internet in Plano, and temporarily subscribed to TV for a month a while back, just to see what I'd pick up in the clear. Received the locals in both Clear QAM HD and SD, some subchannels (some of the ones carried by the big stations, like COZI, World, Antenna) in Clear QAM SD, a couple of weather channels in Clear QAM SD, and some town hall/government/educational local channels in Clear QAM SD. Regular cable channels were encrypted and required a box.

Last edited by PlnOTA; 03-19-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Okay, a quick note about OTA viewing in Dallas:

Looking ahead at my TitanTV app, I noticed that Bounce TV will finally make the move from KDFI 27-3 to Univision's KUVN 23-2 at 12:00 A.M. on March 30th as part of Bounce's renewal of their contract with Univision. (The Univision or Unimas affiliates in San Francisco, Denver, Miami, Raleigh, etc. have always aired Bounce on a subchannel, and as part of the contract extension, will gain Bounce affiliations in New York, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Orlando, and of course, here.)

A good place to see an official announcement on this channel change is Bounce's Facebook page. (As of submission time, there's no DFW announcement just yet. If you look back far enough, they started with New York, then Los Angeles; basically, the Bounce moves go down by DMA number.)

Expect the 27-3 slot (or maybe the encoder equipment may be moved to the KDFW side) to become occupied by Fremantle's new BUZZR TV, starting May 31st. Like I said before, this is a new retro diginet featuring classic game show reruns, mostly Mark Goodson Television Productions (remember that spiel?). Here's the Wiki article (lists KDFI 27-3 as our future affiliate for now):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzr_TV

dtv_junkie87
JHBrandt likes this.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Buzzr TV may help with a dilemma I'm facing. My Dish subscription has gotten way too expensive this year, so I need to downgrade my service level; but as a consequence I'll be losing GSN, which my wife watches a lot. Hopefully Buzzr will ease the transition for her. I can probably hold out until 5/31 before downgrading Dish if I have to.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, the whole setup resembles a Rube Goldberg contraption. Luken is the content provider, Mako is the broadcaster, and there's a middleman (which also airs Hot TV) that gets the satellite equipment from Luken, receives the content, and feeds it to Mako.

At a minimum, I wish they'd switch one of their many Hot TV simulcasts over to Retro, but perhaps there's something in their contract with Luken that prohibits it.

One little ice storm and the whole house of cards falls down for over a week. It does look like they have it back together for the time being; let's just hope nobody sneezes.

More problems once again with Retro TV on K31GL-D. This time there is a picture which is a novelty, but the audio has been muted for 3 days now. I noticed the audio was starting to go out the last two weeks as it would have periodic drop outs. One things for sure, Mako, Luken and all can't blame the ice storm on this one! I have emailed them but that email probably went right to junk mail.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Fisher View Post
More problems once again with Retro TV on K31GL-D. This time there is a picture which is a novelty, but the audio has been muted for 3 days now. .
Oh you want AUDIO with your VIDEO! Yep they've been messed up all weekend. I guess the personnel who take care of the technical issues don't actually watch or even occasionally monitor the station.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed it too when I tried to watch MST3K yesterday: the audio was distorted and the volume was very low. Kinda sounded like a cable was broken or just barely plugged in somewhere.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Fisher View Post
More problems once again with Retro TV on K31GL-D. This time there is a picture which is a novelty, but the audio has been muted for 3 days now. I noticed the audio was starting to go out the last two weeks as it would have periodic drop outs. One things for sure, Mako, Luken and all can't blame the ice storm on this one! I have emailed them but that email probably went right to junk mail.
I can't even get 31 now.... so I'm missing out on all the fun.

(I suppose the tall trees to the south of my home have now grown just enough to block the signal I used to be able to get from 31.)

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Old Today, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 20
FOLLOW UP ON MY BOUNCE TV STATEMENT: Bounce TV will be moving to KUVN 23-2 this Sunday (3/29/15), according to their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/bouncetv

Apparently Univision here in Dallas loves to wait until the last minute to turn on new subchannels! (When Escape on KUVN and GetTV and Grit on KSTR were launched, they turned on their channels the Saturday before their grand openings.)

And like I mentioned, KDFI 27-3 may be the future home of Fremantle Media's BUZZR TV, a retro game show diginet! (Can't wait for that one!)

dtv_junkie87
Old Today, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Checked right now. Bounce TV is on both 23.2 and 27.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement