Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 258 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
post #7711 of 7729 Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
But Dish finally got me recently when they declared by old receiver obsolete and forced me to upgrade it. The local channels and their $5/mo "surcharge" came along for the ride.
These "forced upgrades" will be the undoing of us all !!

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7729 Old 04-09-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Was it your receiver or theirs? Since the local stations make them all pay for carrying, they want to collect that fee and profit from everyone they can.
It was mine. Back when I first signed up for Dish they sold receivers the way AT&T sells cell phones: sign a contract and the equipment is yours once the contract is up.

I still have it - an old 301 - but of course there's no use for it now. The new one - a 311 - is theirs and since I'm not on a contract any more, I guess it always will be.

Quote:
I remember 10 or so years ago a friend that had Dish and lived in NE Garland wanted the locals, but Dish couldn't provide them since he was in a Zip code that should be able to receive with an antenna. He really couldn't receive squat for OTA even with his antenna on a 40' push-up pole, because he's down in a hole out by Firewheel golf course.
Hard to believe there was a time when you couldn't get locals by satellite if you had the option of an antenna (even if that option was only theoretical), and now you have to take them whether you want them or not. Strange how things have changed.
post #7713 of 7729 Old 04-25-2015, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

They're back on now, but once again a bit of weather knocked K31GL out of commission for most of the morning
post #7714 of 7729 Old 04-25-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Oh yeah.. Retro on 31.4. It's been so unreliable I'd just about forgotten about it. Guess I'll tune in while it's up.
post #7715 of 7729 Old 04-28-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by See The Light View Post
The first 'shot across the bow' has occurred in the transition to all digital cable tv.
In place of Channels 68-76, it now shows a picture that says:

"Get your TV picture back.
This channel is only available in digital format.
Order your digital adapter today."
Looks like the next phase is in effect. Today I noticed that announcement on channels 39, 42, 49, 52, 53 and 55.

The ones See the Light mentioned above went to snow less than a week later, except 70, which is still showing the "nightlight." (I understand there's a technical reason 70 has to stay on.)
post #7716 of 7729 Old 04-28-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsmark View Post
Looks like the next phase is in effect. Today I noticed that announcement on channels 39, 42, 49, 52, 53 and 55.

The ones See the Light mentioned above went to snow less than a week later, except 70, which is still showing the "nightlight." (I understand there's a technical reason 70 has to stay on.)
Yes, then they went to snow.

post #7717 of 7729 Old 05-02-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh yeah.. Retro on 31.4. It's been so unreliable I'd just about forgotten about it. Guess I'll tune in while it's up.
More kooky 31.4 shenanigans today: Four of their Saturday morning cartoons messed up in the same weird way: They played fine from the start of the show until the first commercial break - then, nothing at all. No commercials, no cartoon; just a blank screen until the next cartoon started. Then the whole cycle repeated.

As I write, we're in the blank-screen phase of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. No idea if this nonsense will continue all day.

Meanwhile, Hot TV on 31.3 is fine, so once again it's specifically a Retro thing.
post #7718 of 7729 Old 05-02-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
More kooky 31.4 shenanigans today: Four of their Saturday morning cartoons messed up in the same weird way: They played fine from the start of the show until the first commercial break - then, nothing at all. No commercials, no cartoon; just a blank screen until the next cartoon started. Then the whole cycle repeated.

As I write, we're in the blank-screen phase of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. No idea if this nonsense will continue all day.

Meanwhile, Hot TV on 31.3 is fine, so once again it's specifically a Retro thing.

It's not Retro TV they are broadcasting just fine with no black outs. The problem is the local Dallas affiliate KGL 31.4. Their transmitter (I assume is supplied by RTV) continuously has issues in picking up the RTV signal. For the last two days they have been running first part of the show, then when the first commercial break comes, it freezes and goes blank till the next show comes on. Then as you say repeats that cycle again. It's back on now, but if you look at Rabbit Ears.com site, their signal strength has dropped WAY below normal. The picture is on now, but it's dropping in and out pixelization wise every few minutes. And that's very surprising considering we have beautiful sunny skies, so the reception should be perfect.

I gave up figuring out this station a long time ago... Retro TV is on Time Warner cable in San Antonio, but not here in Dallas.
post #7719 of 7729 Old 05-02-2015, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but the weird thing is, 31.3 and 31.4 are both part of the same transmitter. Just different transport streams.

There are at least two different problems; one is the poor overall signal quality since the storms a week ago, which affects all 31.x subchannels. On their weekly graph at RabbitEars you can clearly see where something happened about a week ago. That's clearly Mako's issue (unless it's Bob's!); they need to hire someone to work on that and get it back to spec.

The other problem was the weird "show the first part of the show, then drop out at the first commercial break" thing, which only affected 31.4. That's what I meant by "specifically a Retro thing:" it affected Retro but not Hot TV, nor the other 31.x stuff I don't watch anyway. Didn't mean to imply it was affecting all Retro affiliates.

Not sure who needs to fix the Retro issues. Has Luken had as much trouble with Rev'n on 26.4 as they've had with Retro on 31.4? I don't watch it much; I do know Rev'n was off the air for a while some weeks ago, but it's working now and I haven't happened to notice any other kookiness with it. Mako owns & operates both KODF/26 and K31GL; I'd like to see Luken move Retro to a subchannel of KODF/26, which was easier for me to receive even before the recent storms.
post #7720 of 7729 Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Mako is taking the national Retro TV satellite feed (as far as I know) and as such if there was such a problem on Luken's end, other areas would be complaining about it.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #7721 of 7729 Old 05-04-2015, 11:18 PM

Several more TWC analog channels were nightlighted after 12am (IE, CNN, TWC, Animal Planet, NBC Sports).

post #7722 of 7729 Old 05-18-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Wondering which provider has the best, uncompressed HD signal.... other than OTA? I currently have Dish and the compression is NOT HD quality. OTA even seems to be more compressed that it was when Digital OTA first came out.
post #7723 of 7729 Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Wondering which provider has the best, uncompressed HD signal.... other than OTA? I currently have Dish and the compression is NOT HD quality. OTA even seems to be more compressed that it was when Digital OTA first came out.
Depends on where you live and who services you. Looking at the entire DFW area, I'd have to put Verizon FiOS at the top. TWC is probably next. U-Verse is probably last. Not sure where the satellite providers fall in to that picture. I've never been in Charter's footprint. I do not have current real numbers to prove anything, just guesses based on what my eyes and SiliconDust apps have seen in the past
post #7724 of 7729 Old 05-19-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesism View Post
Depends on where you live and who services you. ...U-Verse is probably last.

I wonder if the new U-verse fiber optic to the house is any better than the old U-verse..? I just got converted from AT&T slow-speed DSL and 65 year old POTS line to U-Verse "GigaPower" fiber optic last week, but just the ISP and home phone.
post #7725 of 7729 Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I wonder if the new U-verse fiber optic to the house is any better than the old U-verse..? I just got converted from AT&T slow-speed DSL and 65 year old POTS line to U-Verse "GigaPower" fiber optic last week, but just the ISP and home phone.
Yep... would be interesting to compare TV quality on "old" U-Verse vs fiber U-Verse. I forgot about GigaPower deployments. I lived in the FiOS footprint when I was in DFW.
post #7726 of 7729 Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM

Well, today, the 20th, and more analog channels now have nightlights:

Some of these channels are still available on some digital C-QAM channels. Other channels are no longer available on any C-QAM channel, as those channels have been scrambeled on all frequencies.

Last edited by See The Light; 05-20-2015 at 02:59 PM.
post #7727 of 7729 Old 05-20-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
I have had ATT Uverse for several months now and I am very pleased with the picture quality in HD. I have a good audio and video setup in my HT system and I was certainly surprised when I saw the Uverse picture quality. I have had TWC HD before and the ATT looks better to me for sure. I have not had Verizon but I have had Directv and Dish in the past.

Matt
post #7728 of 7729 Unread Today, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sorry, millionth time I'm mentioning this...

For those fortunate enough to watch with an antenna (like myself), the new Decades network (KTVT 11-2) will officially open for business on Memorial Day at 6 A.M. It appears Decades will consist of a six-hour block repeated 4 times a day on weekdays. There will be a movie, at least a couple of classic TV show episodes, maybe a show reminiscent of A&E's old Biography series, and of course, Through The Decades, where Bill Kurtis explains what happened on this day in history using news stories from the CBS News and Entertainment Tonight vaults. On weekends (after the 3 hours of E/I from 9 A.M. to noon on Saturdays), Decades will still have series binges, just in case you "fear change" from this soft opening we've had since February 2nd (my favorite binge was Celebrity Bowling!) CBS 11's official press release is here:

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/05/21/welcome-to-decades/

Oh, and be sure to rescan your TVs again when our Fox duopoly will release BUZZR, which is just like what GSN/Game Show Network used to be a long time ago! Here's a commercial introducing the new diginet (maybe you've already seen this on Fox 4 or My 27!):

dtv_junkie87
post #7729 of 7729 Unread Today, 07:09 PM

I got a new TV the other day. I did a channel rescan tonight, and the TV tuner registered 81 channels. Some of those were color bars, and some channels are repeated. I picked up one analog channel 22, it was staticy, and it was the same program as was on 31-2 HOT TV.

Something new though, I am once again getting channel 31. I was able to get 31 a couple of years ago, then it stopped coming in. I hope this reception holds. Maybe the new TV tuner is sensitive enough to pull it in.

I also got channel 26 KODF-LD, but those digital channels are all pixelated for me.

Channel 34 has 34-4 MCBN. They were reviewing You Tube Uploads tonight.

Some channels of note:

8-2 Weather Radar

11-2 Decades

13-2 KERA World

21-2 Me TV

23-2 Bounce

23-3 Escape

27-2 Movies!

31-3 HOT-TV

31-4 Retro TV

33-2 Antenna TV

33-3 This TV

34-4 MCBN

49-2 Get TV

49-3 Grit

68-3 Ion Life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page