Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #8071 of 8079 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Weekends and holidays? Bah! The show MUST go on!

I'm pretty sure Retro was on earlier today. Been checking often it to see if they finally got it on the air so any tuner can decode it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 8079 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Well, I did recheck just a few minutes ago, just on the off-chance the engineer decided to stay late tonight and pound it out before the long weekend, but no luck.

If it were me, I'd have just left it the way it was over the long weekend, then shut it down first thing Tuesday to rework the configuration. At least that way, viewers would only miss a day or two.
post #8073 of 8079 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I suspect that they're still conducting broadcast tests for the time being. Over the past few days, I haven't been picking up any subchannels late at night (~2am), and tuning in during the evening has only given me either Retro or Revn, with the other one giving me "No Data". Looks like they still have a lot of work to do.
post #8074 of 8079 Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

If you lost it at 2AM last night it was likely due to tropo interference. Houston & San Antonio both have full-power stations on RF 38. It doesn't take much can knock KVFW off the air overnight; about 0.5kW ERP would probably do it.

I described the problem of no data on one channel or the other last night. (Scroll up to post 8064.) It happened with some tuners, but others still showed both channels. Obviously they had work to do, but I doubt going back to square one is what anyone had in mind.
post #8075 of 8079 Old Today, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
If you lost it at 2AM last night it was likely due to tropo interference. Houston & San Antonio both have full-power stations on RF 38. It doesn't take much can knock KVFW off the air overnight; about 0.5kW ERP would probably do it.

I described the problem of no data on one channel or the other last night. (Scroll up to post 8064.) It happened with some tuners, but others still showed both channels. Obviously they had work to do, but I doubt going back to square one is what anyone had in mind.
I was (and still am) picking up an 8vsb signal (60% signal strength, 62% signal quality, 100% symbol quality. I need at least a 50% and 50% in order to get a lock), but no video streams are found. Have the same signal levels during the day, when I'm able to tune into Retro or Revn.
post #8076 of 8079 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Well, I did recheck just a few minutes ago, just on the off-chance the engineer decided to stay late tonight and pound it out before the long weekend, but no luck...
Dagnabbit! Back in the day early '70s when I worked at a radio station, weekends and holidays didn't matter. All routine maintenance was done between midnight and 6 AM Monday mornings. If something went wrong out at the transmitter site in the middle of the night a phone call to the engineer got him out of bed and on the way promptly.

You'd think if they go to all the trouble and expense to get 38 partially on the air they would follow through and finish the task!
post #8077 of 8079 Old Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess it's different for LPTV. Probably a shoe-string budget with no room for overtime pay.

Oh, well; with any luck this will all get fixed Tuesday.
post #8078 of 8079 Old Today, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Tired of the black screen, I re-scanned this morning for the heck of it, and now completely don't have any Retro or Rev'n at all on the dial. If they are dark for 3 days they have to file a STA with the FCC and say why they are dark and the filing fee is $125.00 or $175 bucks. If dark for over a year they lose there license. Sounds like they were on the air briefly on Friday (from the other poster on the board here) which means they saved their butt and can now go dormant for 180 days without a violation. In any event, unlike K31GL who did have a contact email, and were nice enough to respond to me when I emailed them, there is no present contact for Retro and Rev'n's new home on KVFW. But with a friends help (who has a friend that runs a station currently running Retro TV) they were able to pull up the station owners FCC documentation of ownership. So we now have a point of contact we can email and contact. Owner of the station is Charles Wong.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/cdbs_...945&formid=322

KVFW-LDFORT WORTH, TX38-138.1 KVFW-LD Infomercials

38-238.2 KVFW-LP

38-338.3 KVFW-LP Retro TV

38-438.4 KVFW-LP Rev'n
post #8079 of 8079 Old Today, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well something changed, although not for the better (yet). On my Apex CECB I still have Retro on 38.4 but lost Rev'n on 38.5.

My LG TV did the opposite: it still has Rev'n on 38.5 but lost Retro on 38.4

Both channels still work on my DTVPal and DVR+.

In unrelated news, something's gone sideways with KXDA: I have 100 signal strength but 0 quality
It appears Retro and Rev'n were on for roughly 48 hours (Wed. evening through Fri. afternoon).

Maybe they'll be back on Monday evening. Not every place takes President's day off. That would keep the disruption down to 3 days.

In unrelated news, KXDA/41 is working again. Watching some sort of nature show on it now (dialogue in Spanish, of course).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception