Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 278 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #8311 of 8315 Old 07-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Actually, ever since the server failure on May 19, I've been on a temporary server that is actually unrelated to the hardware hosting that message board. I'm hoping the original server is repaired some time soon.

- Trip
You have a great site, thanks for the Uncle Martin Antenna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8312 of 8315 Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Looks like Retro TV's problems go beyond losing Mako-owned affiliates. I was in Oklahoma last weekend and discovered KTUL has switched their 8.3 subchannel from Retro to Antenna TV.

I didn't do an exhaustive search of either Tulsa or OKC TV stations, so I suppose it's possible that Retro popped up somewhere else; but given what's been going on here, it doesn't seem likely. They probably can only afford carriage by the cheapest (and in our case, poorly run) LPTV stations now.

Edit: I did check Retro's affiliate list and they do list a couple of Oklahoma affiliates. One (KTEW in Ponca City) doesn't seem to even exist! The other (KTOU in OKC) does exist but it's a 4kW Mako-owned LPTV on RF 21. It covers the metro OKC area pretty well but there's no way its signal is ever going to reach Stroud, so I can't confirm Retro is on it unless I take a trip to OKC.

To be blunt I don't expect Retro to last much longer. They really took a hit when they lost access to the NBC Universal shows several years ago, but when they added Doctor Who and MST3K, I thought they might make a comeback. But with so many other classic TV diginets on the air by then (Cozi, Decades, Antenna, and MeTV of course), I guess it was too little too late.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 07-22-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #8313 of 8315 Old 07-22-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Retro TV: There's just no substitute for Off Beat Cinema, and the local "Mighty Taco" and "Terrapin Station" ads from Buffalo NY.
post #8314 of 8315 Old Today, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Looks like Retro TV's problems go beyond losing Mako-owned affiliates. I was in Oklahoma last weekend and discovered KTUL has switched their 8.3 subchannel from Retro to Antenna TV.

I didn't do an exhaustive search of either Tulsa or OKC TV stations, so I suppose it's possible that Retro popped up somewhere else; but given what's been going on here, it doesn't seem likely. They probably can only afford carriage by the cheapest (and in our case, poorly run) LPTV stations now.

Edit: I did check Retro's affiliate list and they do list a couple of Oklahoma affiliates. One (KTEW in Ponca City) doesn't seem to even exist! The other (KTOU in OKC) does exist but it's a 4kW Mako-owned LPTV on RF 21. It covers the metro OKC area pretty well but there's no way its signal is ever going to reach Stroud, so I can't confirm Retro is on it unless I take a trip to OKC.

To be blunt I don't expect Retro to last much longer. They really took a hit when they lost access to the NBC Universal shows several years ago, but when they added Doctor Who and MST3K, I thought they might make a comeback. But with so many other classic TV diginets on the air by then (Cozi, Decades, Antenna, and MeTV of course), I guess it was too little too late.
It probably doesn't help Retro that Heroes & Icons just started airing all 5 Star Trek series.
post #8315 of 8315 Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

They are not to great about updating their affiliate map, so take that with a grain of your favorite spice. after all they still list Bangor Maine which has been ME TV for a while now and they still list the Houston station ETC Someone has reported on their Facebook page that they are now on WFXU 57.1 in Live Oak Fl and into southern Georgia and on LP Station WUFX 38.1 Tallahassee Florida both from Budd Broadcasting.
http://tv.twcc.com/listings/wfxu-cw This listing seems to confirm it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page