Dallas, TX - HDTV - Page 282 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 53Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8431 of 8443 Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
BTW I noticed that 38.2 hasn't been working this last week, but that's no biggie since it was just informercials. Also, Rev'n on 38.4 is in "cube mode" again Can't they ever get that right?
Hmm.... Infomercials are back on 38.2, but they seem to be in slo-mo, and the sound is - well, on my DVR+ the sound is absent; on my HomeWorX it sounds like the Rev'n soundtrack, except it doesn't match what's on 38.4.

I guess KVFW decided to bring back their "follies" on 38.2

However, it does seem to match what Rovi's channel guide (still for 26.4 ) says "should" be on Rev'n. Makes me wonder if 38.4 is on a delay, or if Luken has both an east coast and a west coast Rev'n satellite feed.
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8432 of 8443 Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 PM
Member
 
teasip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys and gals. Is there a particular time of year in which signal degradation is most prominent taking into consideration signal multi path (I presume that this remains constant regardless of other factors), weather, and foliage (leaves are still on trees)? As I recently posted, I'm locked on now with the major networks and sub-channels and was curious as to whether I could anticipate changes during the spring/summer months due to heating of the atmosphere. My small, handheld, pole mounted antenna in the attic should not be impacted by wind. The reason I ask is that I'm tempted to run my OTA signal through my TiVo HD if it were to be expected to remain stable and I could then consider other streaming options in lieu of my Frontier FiOS service which I haven't had any issue with.
teasip is offline  
post #8433 of 8443 Old 11-27-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
The big problem with respect to multipath is that trees leaf out in the spring then drop their leaves in the fall, so the relative strength of direct and reflected signals can change with the seasons, depending on how many trees are in your neighborhood and where they are.

Also, multipath is more of a problem when it's windy, even if your antenna is indoors. When the wind isn't blowing, modern tuners can often adapt to whatever multipath they're receiving. But when the wind blows, those tree limbs bend and sway, changing the signals - often too rapidly for tuners to keep up. I usually get my worst reception on windy summer days. (My situation is worse than yours, though, because my antenna is outdoors. So on windy days, both the tree limbs and my antenna move around.)

Temperature variations don't have as much effect unless a signal isn't line-of-sight. In that case, you can get multipath interference from ground reflections, causing the dreaded "fading" as the ground warms or cools. If that happens, sometimes angling the mast to point an antenna upward a few degrees will help.

It's very hard to predict in advance how you'll fare. Your current antenna may be just fine year-round. But if you do run into problems with multipath, a higher-gain antenna will often help since it's less sensitive to off-axis reflections. For cramped attic installations, I usually prefer panel-style antennas to airplane-style ones.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #8434 of 8443 Old 11-28-2016, 08:41 PM
Member
 
teasip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The big problem with respect to multipath is that trees leaf out in the spring then drop their leaves in the fall, so the relative strength of direct and reflected signals can change with the seasons, depending on how many trees are in your neighborhood and where they are.

Also, multipath is more of a problem when it's windy, even if your antenna is indoors. When the wind isn't blowing, modern tuners can often adapt to whatever multipath they're receiving. But when the wind blows, those tree limbs bend and sway, changing the signals - often too rapidly for tuners to keep up. I usually get my worst reception on windy summer days. (My situation is worse than yours, though, because my antenna is outdoors. So on windy days, both the tree limbs and my antenna move around.)

Temperature variations don't have as much effect unless a signal isn't line-of-sight. In that case, you can get multipath interference from ground reflections, causing the dreaded "fading" as the ground warms or cools. If that happens, sometimes angling the mast to point an antenna upward a few degrees will help.

It's very hard to predict in advance how you'll fare. Your current antenna may be just fine year-round. But if you do run into problems with multipath, a higher-gain antenna will often help since it's less sensitive to off-axis reflections. For cramped attic installations, I usually prefer panel-style antennas to airplane-style ones.
Thank you sir. Still surrounded trees holding leaves so the only real variable would appear to be the wind. It would've been nice to have had a chance to check signals while windy earlier today.
teasip is offline  
post #8435 of 8443 Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I just noticed two of the channels that broadcast from downtown Dallas are off the air: KPFW/18 and KWDA/30. According to Bob's graphs it looks like both went down around 5:20 PM today. A third downtown station, KLEG/44, is still going strong though.

Also, around the same time KHFD/51 started doing what KVFW used to do so often: they went into "zero-channels" mode. There's a carrier but no content!

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-28-2016 at 09:16 PM.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #8436 of 8443 Old 11-29-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ed_in_tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Dallas TX
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I just noticed two of the channels that broadcast from downtown Dallas are off the air: KPFW/18 and KWDA/30. According to Bob's graphs it looks like both went down around 5:20 PM today.

Looks like KPFW/18 and KWDA/30 are both back up, around 1:45 PM today. Share the same facility?
ed_in_tx is offline  
post #8437 of 8443 Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ed_in_tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Dallas TX
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 82
KVFW 38.x off the air all morning.



EDIT: Or maybe just too weak to receive. I noticed a slight rise in signal on Bob's graph and tried it again, the signal goes from 0 to 54 to 0 and I caught a pixelated shot of Route 66 I think.

Earlier this week is was steady at 61-68.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 12-02-2016 at 03:22 PM.
ed_in_tx is offline  
post #8438 of 8443 Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
I don't know if that is what is going on with me, but it may be. Every time I do a full channel scan with the DVR+, channel 23 (which is a Spanish primary channel, and Bounce, Escape and Laff TV on the subchannels) scans correctly. But for some reason I get a second set of them scanned at 23.11, 23.12, 23.13 and 23.14. They don't come in clearly, but I don't think it is multipath, either. It's almost like they are analog channels that get poor reception. I have two other digital devices with tuners and the DVR+ is the only one that scans me a second set. Since they are unwatchable I just hide them.
Sounds like KUVN-CA, a low-power translator for KUVN/23 broadcasting on RF 47 from downtown Ft. Worth. You're the first to confirm that they've gone digital! (Your DVR+ won't receive analog signals; besides, an analog broadcast doesn't have subchannels.)

Sounds like they massaged the PSIP a bit to alter the subchannel numbers. Otherwise, you'd probably see them on 100.1-100.4.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #8439 of 8443 Old Today, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I just noticed two of the channels that broadcast from downtown Dallas are off the air: KPFW/18 and KWDA/30. According to Bob's graphs it looks like both went down around 5:20 PM today. A third downtown station, KLEG/44, is still going strong though.

Also, around the same time KHFD/51 started doing what KVFW used to do so often: they went into "zero-channels" mode. There's a carrier but no content!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Looks like KPFW/18 and KWDA/30 are both back up, around 1:45 PM today. Share the same facility?
18 and 30 were back within a day, but 51 is still off the air. Is this for good?

KHFD has a CP to move to RF 13, but there's no signal there either. I seriously doubt anyone will light up a new transmitter until after the spectrum auction is over and the FCC puts out their repacking plan.

KHFD doesn't broadcast my kind of programming so it's no big deal for me, but if they're expecting their viewers to tune to K26KC instead, they're going to lose a lot of them. K26KC is barely receivable in many places were KHFD came in just fine.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #8440 of 8443 Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ed_in_tx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Dallas TX
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

KHFD has a CP to move to RF 13, but there's no signal there either.

Maybe KHFD is waiting on their new VHF-Hi antenna and transmitter? I would think a move from UHF 51 down to VHF 13 would require all new transmitting equipment.
ed_in_tx is offline  
post #8441 of 8443 Old Today, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I'm sure it would. But they've had the RF 13 construction permit for a long time. I wouldn't expect them to turn off the RF 51 transmitter before the new RF 13 one was ready.

But I'm not even sure they're following through on the CP at all, since they may lose RF 13 to another station once the spectrum auction is done. I would've expected them to wait until that's done, and only start buying new transmitter equipment if their CP somehow survives the auction.

So I'm thinking something else must be wrong. Maybe they had an equipment failure and brought the transmitter down for repairs. I haven't heard anything though; just speculating.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #8442 of 8443 Old Today, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Greasemonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sounds like KUVN-CA, a low-power translator for KUVN/23 broadcasting on RF 47 from downtown Ft. Worth. You're the first to confirm that they've gone digital! (Your DVR+ won't receive analog signals; besides, an analog broadcast doesn't have subchannels.)

Sounds like they massaged the PSIP a bit to alter the subchannel numbers. Otherwise, you'd probably see them on 100.1-100.4.
I went back and "de-hided" the 4 channels, and now they are coming in fairly clear. It's probably because of the clouds. I have a signal strength of 58 and a signal quality about 45, so I am getting some pixelation, but overall the picture is clear. Bounce, Escape and Laff are all labeled identically to what I normally use. But 23.1 is listed as KUVN-DT and 23.11 is listed as KUVN-CD.

I also tried two experiments. When I had access to the second set of channels in the Guide I started recording both 23.3 and 23.13, which is both Escape channels. I don't know if they were using the same tuner for the recording, but I did have two recordings of the same program going at the same time, with just a few seconds difference in time due to the time it took to change channels and start the new recording. So the question is, did the DVR+ use both tuners to do this, or was I using one tuner for both, with the second recording pulling data from the buffer?

I also tuned to 23.13, then hid all the channels in the second set. It didn't affect what I was watching, and after I changed to another channel I used the keypad to key in 23.13 again, and it did switch to that channel. I wasn't sure if hiding a channel disabled it, but I suspected that it didn't and this confirmed it. To my knowledge, there is no way to actually remove a channel once it has been found with a scan.
Greasemonkey is online now  
post #8443 of 8443 Old Today, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 4,084
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasemonkey View Post
Bounce, Escape and Laff are all labeled identically to what I normally use. But 23.1 is listed as KUVN-DT and 23.11 is listed as KUVN-CD.
Did I say KUVN-CA? I meant KUVN-CD. (It was KUVN-CA when it was analog.)
JHBrandt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off