post #8491 of 8505 Old 01-31-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure CB radios, police radios, and cell phones (even the old analog kind) have never inter-operated. So it sounds like a bit of a plot hole to me

Well it is a science fiction channel.

Apparently I caught about the last 10 min of a movie called "The Retaliator" . Had to look it up. http://www.comettv.com/program-detai...V000120270000/
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8505 Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It looks like KTXD reshuffled their channel lineup overnight. Comet moved to 47.2 and now actually identifies that way. No guide data yet though. 47.1 KTXD-DT 47.2 COMET 47.3 LATV 47.4 KTXD-4 47.5 SBN 47.4 is "Tela Vida Abundante" and sadly has twice the bit rate as Comet.
post #8493 of 8505 Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 750
Sounds like they dropped UAN and put TVA back on.

UAN has been a pretty ordinary religious channel, but TVA has always struck me as sort of odd - it appears to be Jewish religious programming in Spanish. If so, seems to me they're catering to a much smaller audience than UAN was. But I can barely speak Spanish so I may be completely wrong about that.

In any case, whether they're up against TVA or UAN, I can't imagine why Comet would get the short end of the bandwidth stick, so to speak. But then a lot of what KTXD has done (like dropping MeTV in favor of ... whatever that is they put on 47.1 now) never made sense to me.

post #8494 of 8505 Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by schultdw View Post
It looks like KTXD reshuffled their channel lineup overnight. Comet moved to 47.2 and now actually identifies that way. No guide data yet though. 47.1 KTXD-DT; 47.2 COMET; 47.3 LATV; 47.4 KTXD-4; 47.5 SBN. 47.4 is "Tela Vida Abundante" and sadly has twice the bit rate as Comet.
My View TV Box shows a Bandwidth of 6MHz for all CH. 47 channels.

As a side note, I do not know of any channel that has more than 480i resolution on any .2 or beyond sub-channel.

Cable Channel Choice is the only choice I want to make !!
post #8495 of 8505 Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What the ViewTV shows you is frequency bandwidth, which is always 6MHz in North America; but @schultdw was talking about data bandwidth.

All North American digital TV channels have a total data bandwidth of 19.39Mb/s. But that can be divided among the subchannels any way the broadcaster wants.

I'm assuming @schultdw has TSReader or a similar program to analyze a digital data stream and determine the (data) bandwidth of each subchannel.

As far as resolution goes, if you live in the northern parts of the metroplex, point your antenna north and scan channel 12. If you find KXII, you'll see that 12.3 has 720p resolution.
See The Light likes this.
post #8496 of 8505 Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I see the operators of KVFW woke up and got Retro and REV'N back on the air last night. Odd though Bob's realtime graph shows undecodeable signal. Anyway it's playing now as I type.
post #8497 of 8505 Old 02-12-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I saw that yesterday afternoon. Meant to post but didn't get around to it until now.

I think the script Bob run relies on decoding 38.2, because it's the only subchannel with "KVFW" in its name. But at the moment 38.2 is audio only and that may be confusing his script.
post #8498 of 8505 Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the end of the incentive auction, any station above RF 36 will be moved to a new slot below RF 36 if they stay on the air. In DFW, these stations are above RF 36:

1. KVFW/38
  2. KAZD/55
  3. KXTX/39
  4. KXAS/5
  5. KPFW/68
  6. KDTN/2
  7. KLEG/44
  8. KDTX/58
  9. KTXD/47
  10. The KUVN translator in downtown Ft. Worth
  11. KSTR/49
  12. KATA/50
  13. KHFD/51

All of the above except 38 and 51 are guaranteed slots if they want to stay on the air, so I'm going to assume all of them except the KUVN translator will do so. But it will be another month or two before we know where the full-power stations are going to wind up, and probably another 3 months after that before we know about the low-power ones. So in the meantime, I've been trying to make some educated guesses:

• KFWD/52 will most likely go off the air, and sell the RF 9 transmitter to another full-power station.
  • The Ft. Worth KUVN translator on RF 47 will probably go off the air as well. This was a holdover from the analog era and I don't think it's needed any more. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)
  • Low-power K26KC will probably go off the air as well. Its sister station, KHFD/51 will probably move to RF 13. RF 26 is a bad slot for a full-power station because of KTEN in Oklahoma, so the K26KC transmitter will probably get sold to another LPTV station. (KODF would be a logical choice since they're virtual channel 26 anyway. Or it could go to KLEG/44 or KATA/50. But let's hope whoever it is can clean up the horrible K26KC signal!)
  • KHPK/28 will probably move to RF 10.
  • That would leave four UHF channels (24, 26, 28, and 33) free, but there are 10 protected stations to move. Assuming one of those 10 moves to RF 9 and four move to the free channels, that means five LPTVs in the lower UHF band will be displaced. Along with KVFW/38, that means six LPTVs will move to VHF channels 2, 3, 4, 7, 11, and 12. Everything currently on the air except KFWD and K26KC fits - just barely.
  • KNAV/22 will probably be one of the stations displaced, so they'll probably convert to digital at the same time. No sense upgrading equipment twice! I'm guessing they'll wind up on RF 12 because they considered the same move several years ago, so they've already done the engineering study. If so, they'll broadcast with a directional antenna and won't be available in the north metroplex, to avoid interfering with KXII.

Is that what will happen? Probably not - there are numerous interference considerations with adjacent markets I can't account for - but hopefully I won't be too far off. In the end, it looks like most of the full-power stations will remain on UHF channels, we'll still have two full-power stations on VHF-Hi channels, and most of the low-power stations will also wind up on VHF channels. Three LPTV stations will wind up on RF 2-4 along with KXDA/41 on RF 5 and KZFW (the FrankenFM on RF 6), and you'll need a big VHF-Lo-capable antenna to receive them. Of course there's no way to know whether any of the stations we like to watch, like KODF/26, K31GL, or KVFW/38, will be in the VHF-Lo band until it all happens.

Edit: This is even more speculative, but I'm thinking KPFW/18 and KWDA/30 will move to VHF-Lo channels RF 2 and RF 4. That's because closely-related license holders already have licenses for RF 2 and 4, but aren't using them as far as I can tell. But I don't know who might wind up on RF 3.

On a personal note, it will probably become impractical for me to receive any out-of-market stations such as KXII or KLTV. I can barely get them as it is, and co-channel interference from local LPTVs would probably push them over the cliff permanently. Oh, well; it was fun while it lasted.
See The Light likes this.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-18-2017 at 06:30 PM.
post #8499 of 8505 Old 02-18-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
I see the operators of KVFW woke up and got Retro and REV'N back on the air last night. Odd though Bob's realtime graph shows undecodeable signal. Anyway it's playing now as I type.
I don't think they have it quite right yet. When I scan I get zero channels. On my HomeWorX Retro and Rev'n are working; on my DVR+ the infomercials and Rev'n are working. Looks like the PSIP channel map is gone. That would also explain Bob's graph showing undecodable.

BTW, Bob's graphs finally show a decodable signal on KODF. Seems Almavision went away, so KODF renamed 26.3 with their call letters, allowing the script to work on that station. You can even see exactly when they made the change on the weekly graph (it was the 14th).

Last edited by JHBrandt; 02-18-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #8500 of 8505 Old 02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think they [KVFW] have it quite right yet. When I scan I get zero channels. On my HomeWorX Retro and Rev'n are working; on my DVR+ the infomercials and Rev'n are working. Looks like the PSIP channel map is gone. That would also explain Bob's graph showing undecodable.
I'm seeing a channel map again, but is anyone else seeing KVFW on virtual channel 7 now?

They're still on RF 38 but I see Retro on 7.3, Rev'n on 7.4, and the infomercials on 7.5. Rev'n and the infomercials have the wrong aspect ratio. There's also a 7.2 with no programming
post #8501 of 8505 Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm seeing a channel map again, but is anyone else seeing KVFW on virtual channel 7 now?

They're still on RF 38 but I see Retro on 7.3, Rev'n on 7.4, and the infomercials on 7.5. Rev'n and the infomercials have the wrong aspect ratio. There's also a 7.2 with no programming
Looks like the channel 7 weirdness is gone. I think they're back to no PSIP, though. But at least it's showing channel 38 again.
post #8502 of 8505 Old 02-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Just discovered that Radiodiscussions.com has shut down, apparently for good.

R.I.P.

Most participants in the Texas TV forum (and similar TV forums) will probably be coming to the appropriate threads here at AVSForum. Kinda too bad, in a way; we Dallasites won't be hearing about the goings-on in Houston, Austin, or San Antonio as before unless we subscribe to the other threads.
RadioDiscussions is down again tonight, yet I don't know why. It's been down since about 10am, it was working fine before then. Another DDOS attack?

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #8503 of 8505 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like the channel 7 weirdness is gone. I think they're back to no PSIP, though. But at least it's showing channel 38 again.
Now 38.2 and 38.5 are both showing (different) infomercials! But the sound is screwed up on both. 38.5 is silent, and 38.2 has the audio from Rev'n

Aspect ratio on 38.5 is wrong too. Oh, well; at least they've managed not to screw up Retro or Rev'n any worse than they were (yet).
post #8504 of 8505 Old Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: Ch 7... One of my DTVPals still has a K26KC it received at one time as Channel 7.1. Last time I tuned to it something tried to get through but was too weak to lock on.
post #8505 of 8505 Old Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think that channel 7 is still on the air, but its signal is terrible! I was once able to lock onto it, but the direction I had to aim the antenna to get it kept me from getting 38, 50, or 51 (of course 38 is the only one of those with anything I like to watch - well, 50.4 has Hot TV, but I get that OK on channel 31 anyway).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception